Complications

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 18

Colorful fireworks brightened up the whole, starry sky. Everybody was supposed to celebrate as the new year came, but it was not in Kris's case.

He was lying on his master bed, with his arms on his back while staring blankly on space. For the past month, he tried his best to be happy for Chanyeol and Krystal, but he knew better than to fool himself - he was not okay with that.

He was still jealous of Chanyeol. He thought that he and Krystal were the same; how her eyes looked so deep and mysterious, how she concealed her true self from everyone, and it was just a wild guess, but he thought she has no good relationship with her family too. That made him think that they're more compatible together - because he can understand her. 

But ever since she became close to Chanyeol, well, he can't deny the fact that she was changed. Maybe it was all Chanyeol's doing.

*Stupid Kris. Of course it was Chanyeol's doing* he mentally scolded himself.

He was serious with his joke on Chanyeol though. If he had the chance to have Krystal, he'll grab that with no second thoughts.

There was a light knock on his door and their maid came in.

"Sir Kris, Mr. Wu wants to see you." she said.
"Tell him to go here." he snapped.
"But -"
"Didn't you hear me?" he turned to look at her and flashed his eyes dangerously. "Or do I have to repeat myself for you?"

The maid took a hesitant bow and walked away. 

*Good.* he said. He was not in the mood to talk to anyone, much more with his father. Besides, he's pretty sure that his father will not go in his room anyways. Mr. Wu's high ego  wouldn't do such thing. He thinks that he was too much of an important person.

It was to his biggest surprise when Mr. Wu came inside his room minutes later, without knocking. He stopped on the front door and snapped the door shut behind him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Kris sat bolt upright and blurted out loud.
"I thought I can come here if I want to see you?" Mr. Wu asked coldly.
"I did but I never thought you would. Is that because its new year that you're changed? Then can you allow me to live by myself too?" he faked his voice with a hopeful tone but his eyes looked sarcastic.
"No." his father answered.
"Then go straight to the point will you? You're wasting my time." he snapped.

Mr. Wu strode across his room and sat on the chair in front of Kris's bed. He crossed his legs and leaned back comfortably, just like a king in his rightful throne. He played with his nails while he chose his words carefully.

"Kris, how old are you?" he asked.

Kris snorted loudly. "Thanks dad. You don't even know your fcking son's age." he answered sarcastically.
"Just answer me." Mr. Wu ordered coldly, still playing with his nails.
"19."
"Hmm.."

Kris frowned at his father. He was still playing with his nails and there was an amused look on his face.

"What are your plans for college?" he pressed on.
"Dunno. Hang out with Tao and Xiumin I guess." he was losing interest on their conversation and decided to lie on his bed again.
"For the rest of your life?"
"What do you mean for the rest of my life?" Kris sat up and glared at his father. "Can't you just tell why you're here?"

Mr. Wu finally stopped toying his nails and looked up to his son.

"I'm planning to engage you." he said directly.

Kris hanged his mouth.

"Are you out of your mother fcking's mind?! What else do you want me to do? Fck with you?!"
"Watch your words Kris. I'm still your father."
"Yeah? And I don't care! Why do you always have to control my life?!"
"It's for your own good." Mr. Wu replied. "You need a woman with you when you take over our company and the school-"
"Then you just admitted it. It's not for my own good.. it's for you!" Kris spat. "Who was it? I suppose an ahjumma who doesn't have a boy friend since kindergarten? Or an old woman who was about to die?"

His father grinned. "Neither. She was 2 years younger than you, and she was my business partner's youngest daughter. As a matter of fact, you may even know her, since she was studying in our school. Her name is Krystal Jung."

Kris' widened eyes were dangerously bulging out of his eye sockets. He was too shock. Just... 

"W-what??" he croaked.

Mr. Wu's grin widened. "Hmm. From your reaction it seems you like the idea. I'll take that as a yes then." he stood up and patted his son's head. "You made the right decision son."

He can't believe it.

 

He just had his wish granted.

***

Krystal softly patted her mother's hair while Mrs. Jung slept on her lap. Her mother may had some improvements lately, like remembering her name and a few more people, or starting to nod or shake her head on someone who was talking to her, but she knew, that it wasn't enough.

Especially when her mother had another tantrum earlier.

A newbie who obviously did not know the different triggers of the patients clumsily let a kitchen knife inside the living room. Although in her defence, it was an accident, because she was chopping onions when she was called suddenly by Nica. It was very unfortunate when Mrs. Jung saw the gleaming utensil, because at that moment she started screaming out loud and trashed every chairs - even patients - out of her way. She lauched herself madly towards the newbie, her eyes bulging dangerously and spurted out an angry snarl. The newbie thought she was about to die, because Mrs. Jung desperately tried to reach for the knife. If looks and screams could kill...

"Krystal?" Nica poked her head inside the room and gave her a small smile. "Can we talk?"

Krystal nodded. She carefully removed her mother's head from her lap and gently placed it on her soft pillow. Then she followed Nica outside the room. When they stopped, Nica turned around.

"Krystal, I have to be frank.."

She waited for Nica to continue.

"Mrs. Jung definitely improved, no doubt about that.. but, it was never enough."
"I know Ms. Nica."

Nica nodded solemnly.

"WMI was like a trash can for abandoned patients. We were aware of that. We were lowly paid, we recieved little support from the government, and the facilities, equipments and medicines would not suffice for our patient's improvement. Everyone here has no hope of getting themselves into a better institution, but Mrs. Jung has." she paused.

"I've been thinking hard lately, and I think it's time to move Mrs. Jung out. She has hope for recovery."
"I know that too Ms. Nica." Krystal replied. "But please understand, that I can't ask for help to my father. I need more time for this.."
"But, for how long?"

It took a long time for Krystal to respond. Yes, if she will think about it, how long will she wait for the right time to move her mom? Does her  ego proved to be more important to her than Mrs. Jung?

"I don't know." she finally replied, confused.

***

"Hmm. Krystal, is something wrong?" Chanyeol squeezed her hand, which he was already holding for the last 45 minutes, and looked at her concernedly. "You've been occupied lately." he said.
"I'm fine." she plastered a smile on her face. Chanyeol studied her before nodding and looking ahead again. Slowly, Krystal's smile faded.

She was definitely not fine. Her uncollected thoughts were confusing her big time, and she wished that she can stop the time for a while just so she can she rest her mind.

Or maybe she can distract herself. Have fun and forget her worries for a while.

"Hey, you want to come over to our house later?" she asked.

Chanyeol's eyes immediately brightened. "Really?!" he asked. 
"Mm-hmm."
"You know I'm in!!"

 

And so after their class, Krystal drove Chanyeol toward her mansion.

"It will be my first time inside here. Ooooh I'm so happy!" Chanyeol pointed his camera towards Krystal's house, her garden, and to her face. Krystal stuck her tounge out and gave him cute smile at the camera. He chuckled while he stared on her picture, which he was looking at until they entered her house. Tom the butler welcomed them and bowed deep in front of Krystal and Chanyeol.
"Welcome back Ms. Jung." he said.
"Thanks, this is Chanyeol by the way."

Chanyeol smiled at Tom who nodded.

"Welcome Mr. Chanyeol."

Krystal dragged Chanyeol, his hand tightly wrapped on hers. She led the way towards their living room and let him sat on their couch. Tom was behind them.

"What can I get for you and your friend Ms. Krystal?"
"Hmm.. Nothing Tom. Chanyeol and I will make our own snacks today."

Tom's eyes shined as he nodded understandingly. He bowed at them again before leaving the doors closed behind him.

"What do you mean, we will make our snacks?" Chanyeol beamed at her excitedly. "We're cooking?"
"Definitely." Krystal answered. She stood up and held her hand for him. "Let's go?"

Chanyeol almost skipped his steps as he reached for her hand and secured it tightly in his hands. They walked outside the living room and entered Krystal's spacious and spotless kitchen. Every utensil a cook needs was here, not to mention a big, flat screened tv that was plastered on their wall.

The moment they closed the kitchen doors, Chanyeol immediately swung his arms around Krystal's waist and snuggled her tightly.

"What should we do now?" he asked.
"Uhh. What do you want to bake?" she asked him, moving towards the fridge with Chanyeol still embracing her. "Cookies? Cake?"
"Cake!"
"Right." she searched her fridge and frowned at Chanyeol. "You can let go of me now Chanyeol. I can't move properly with you clinging on me."

He removed his embrace awkwardly and ruffled his big curly hair. "Hehe. So, you know how to bake?"

Krystal nodded and prepared the utensils.

"Yes, Mommy and I used to this before. Hmm. I suppose you like chocolate?" she asked while she walked across the counter and searched for needed ingredients.
"Anything sweet Krystal. Especially when it's your cooking."

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "You have to help here too you know." she threw the egg at Chanyeol from across the counter. The egg soared high and Chanyeol moved left to catch it... he raised his hand so the egg can fly staight to his opened palms but -

He was raising his hand too much to the left side, and it hit him squarely on the face instead.

Egg yolk slipped down from his hair to his neck, covering his cute face with a sticky, yellow and white fluid. Krystal snorted with laughter but she stiffled her laugh. Chanyeol remained rooted on the spot.

"S-sorry." Krystal giggled.

He blinked a few times and frowned. "You mean it." he accused.
"What? No!" Krystal defended honestly. "I really don't. It was your fault how come you're still blind eye despite with your big eyeglasses. Hahaha!"
"Aahh Krystal you naughty girl!" Chanyeol reached over the pile of eggs in front of her and ran. "Come here!" he shouted.
"What are you doing??!" she shrieked out loud.
"Rawr! The wolf is angry!" Chanyeol said, running around the kitchen after her.

Krystal laughed while she tried to dodge Chanyeol and his egg.

"D-did you just roared. Eeewww!" she shouted, still running around. She ran towards the left but Chanyeol veered right, blocking her way. His eyes were dead serious. Krystal's smile faded and backed away a little.
"You're serious?" she asked.

Chanyeol leered at her.
"Oh shi -!" Krystal tried to run again but Chanyeol's long arms caught her waist. He pulled her closer to him while Krystal screamed.
"Let me gooo!"

Chanyeol laughed and bit her shoulder. "Rawr". he managed to say through his teeth.

That made Krystal laughed again. "Silly Yeollie." she said.

He turned her around so Krystal was facing him instead. "Can I get another kiss?" he asked.

Krystal nodded. Chanyeol was surprised by her immediate response, but was happy anyways. He leaned closer and closer to her, he closed his eyes, ready to feel her breath again --

And out of nowhere, another egg was smacked on his head. Krystal's eyes were triumphant. "You wish!"


Twenty minutes later, Chanyeol and Krystal were both drenched in egg yolks and the once spotless kitchen before was now a messy playground now. The two of them just stopped fooling around when Tom barged inside with livid eyes. Chanyeol swore that he saw smoke from Tom's nostrils and it made him nervous. 

"Sorry Tom, can't help it." Krystal said, not minding their butler's mad face.

Tom closed his eyes and breathed. "It's ok Ms. Krystal, I'll take care of it. Please take your shower now. I'll ask the maid to prepare some clothes for Mr. Chanyeol, and I'll do the baking too."

Krystal nodded and went outside the kitchen. "Come Chanyeol!" she called.

He followed her outside and while Krystal pointed on a room beside hers. "That's yours. Everything you need will be there, and your new clothes will be prepared later." After that she walked inside her own room. He entered in his room too and looked around...

Their guest room was quadruple the size of his own room. There was a large, four-poster bed at the middle; with a lamp engraved in majestic cravings;  a red carpeted floor; and a large walk-in closet. At the right side of his bed was what he supposed to be the bathroom. He entered it and took of his clothes, preparing himself for  a nice, bubble bath.

Fifteen minutes later, a new set of clothes were neatly folded on the bed and he wore them. It matched his body and his height perfectly. He went outside the room and Krystal walked outside in hers too. They both smiled at each other.

"So, what do we do now?" he asked.
"Let's go to our greenhouse."

They went outside the manor and went straight to Krystal's greenhouse. It was small and smelled of earth, but the glorious, colorful flowers that bloomed in every corner of the room enlightened the whole place. Roses, lavender, hyacinths... name it. Chanyeol gasped at the awesome view... He has been in a greenhouse in their science class before, but nothing can be compared on Krystal's one.

"You like it?" she asked amusedly.
"It's.... beautiful." he breathed.
"I know." she sat and hugged her knees, smelling the lavender in front of her. "It's Mommy's actually. When she went in WMI, I took care of her greenhouse. I can't just leave them here... I know how she loves her babies."
"What's your favorite then." he sat beside her.
"It's not here." she replied. "It's not in our house actually."

Chanyeol tilted his head. "What then?"
"Everyday, I'm alone and I'm cold. I feel like it's winter even when it's summer. I don't feel hope, I don't feel I'm loved.. . Well, I haven't think about this lately but," she paused and looked at Chanyeol. "but since I came to realize that you never lose your faith on me Yeollie, or that you continue to reach me... I felt like it was spring. You brightened up my life." she pinched his cheeks affectionately. "And gave me hope.. and loved me even when I'm pushing you.. so thank you."

He can't believe that he was hearing Krystal's thanks right now. He smiled at her. "You're my first friend Krystal. You protected me against everyone and you were the only one who tries to approach me despite of my weirdness. I can't leave you with those dead eyes and cold heart, it's not you. It's not my friend Krystal I knew." he reached for her hands and kissed them. "And I can't also deny the fact that I love you."

Krystal's eyes watered and she beamed at him. She looked up in the sky and sighed. "It's getting dark. You need to go home." 

She stood up and walked outside the greenhouse. 
"Wait Krystal!"
"Hmm?"
"You haven't say your favorite flower yet."

Krystal smiled at him. "Maybe next time." she said. They entered the house again and Chanyeol picked his bag. 
"Take care on your way home okay?" she said.

She and Chanyeol holdhands together until they reached the gates. 

"Good night." Chanyeol said.
"Good night.".

Chanyeol blinked while Krystal fidgeted uncomfortably. They both stared at each other with an awkward silence... waiting who will initiate the first move. Chanyeol cleared his throat and took a step closer...

Just then, car headlights beamed in front of them, blinding Krystal and Chanyeol momentarily. They shielded their eyes through their hands and tried to make out the figure that slowly walked outside the car. The lights went off and Krystal gasped.

Mr. Jung was standing in front of them, with dark, piercing eyes that made Chanyeol shudder. He was looking at him with utmost dislike, like a rat in a princess's domain. His eyes moved from Chanyeol to Krystal, who was watching his father with a mixture of fear and hatred.

Although he was a little bit scared, Chanyeol bowed respectfully at Mr. Jung.

"Good evening Mr. Jung! I am Park Chanyeol." he said.

Mr. Jung bored on him and looked away. "Let's go in." he told his driver. He went inside the car again while the driver started the engine. Chanyeol and Krystal parted to let the car pass through. After Mr. Jung was inside the manor, Krystal turned to Chanyeol.

"Take care." she said.

Chanyeol nodded and looked back at the house. "Krystal..."
"Hmm?"

He paused, unsure how to say what he felt. Defeated, he shook his head and smiled at her instead."Bye."

***

Krystal paced around her room nervously. Her father just arrived, and she was totally unprepared. In addition with that, he saw Chanyeol too, and she was aware of his father's dislike towards him.

There was a light knock on her door and Tom came in.

"Ms. Krystal, Mr. Jung wants to see you." he said, his eyes looked sad.

Krystal nodded. This was the moment she was dreading of. She followed Tom towards his father's study room. It was like that night all over again.

Tom opened the doors for Krystal. Mr. Jung was seated on his study chair, boring over a pile of folders laid in front of him. Tom bowed deeply before he stepped backwards and closed the door, leaving Krystal alone with his father.

Mr. Jung snapped the folders shut and looked at his daughter.

"I had just been a way for a few months and I found that scum in my house." he said coldly.

Krystal raised her eyebrow and leveled her coldness with her father. "I believe he said his name sir. He's not a scum and his name is Chanyeol."

Mr. Jung glared. "You know that I don't like that guy." he hissed. "He's no use to me."
"And so am I." Krystal replied. "And so are you to me."

His father smirked. "No, that's where you're wrong Krystal." he said smoothly. "You do have a use to me. In fact, you're very useful."
"Hah! You talk like people around you were some kind of toy." she said bitterly. "First, you threw Mommy in a dump. Second, you contolled Jess's life, and now, you're trying to do same thing to me."
"Yes, I am." he answered frankly. He rummaged in his file case and took out a photo. He placed it above his desk for Krystal to see.
"Why do you have a picture of Kris?" she said sharply.
"Oh you know him. That's good."

Krystal knitted her eyebrow and suspicion and confusion.

"What -?"
"I want you to marry him. He will be your fiance."

Cold dread filled Krystal's lungs. She gaped at her father for several minutes, trying to understand wha he just said.

"N-no.." she said weakly. Then her expression turned from confused to angry. "NO!" she shouted. "You're not doing the same thing to me! I'm not leaving Chanyeol!"

Mr. Jung seems like he was enjoying Krystal's despair. "Oh you will, my daughter."
"Don't call me your daughter! You were never a father to me!" she spat.
"You think I'm hurt with your words?" he asked coldly. "I don't care. All I need is for you to marry Kris, so that we can start the largest project me and Wu were planning."
"You're disguting." she hissed full of spite in her face. "I can't believe how Mommy survived with you. I hate you!"

He looked deadly at her. "How about we make a deal?" He stood up from his seat and stared outside his window. After a few minutes, he turned to look at Krystal again and sneered.

"I will let Hae Min treated outside the country and you can live with her there. For as long as you want. In return, you have to break up with that curly-haired kid and marry Kris. The decision is yours now. You can leave." he sat again and turned his attention to his paperworks.

Krystal breathed unevenly and stormed outside his study room. She bumped hard on Tom, who was looking at her concernedly.

"Ms. Krystal.."

Krystal pushed him away and ran straight to her room. Angry tears trickled in her eyes. Her heart was screaming of nothing but confusion. She was so lost, and hurt, and angry. Above all, she was scared...

She was scared of losing him and losing her mother...

 

Who will she choose? Her mother, or Chanyeol?