Confessions

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 15

(4th day of intrams: Talent Show)
 

SM High's gym was jam-packed by students wearing green t-shirts, red t-shirts, and blue t-shirts. The program was not yet starting but everyone was already cheering wildly for their bets. The freshmen, being the smallest team above all, has the quietest cheers, while the juniors, being the largest team, has the loudest.

"I wish Sulli doesn't went herself." Chanyeol muttered, looking apprehensively at the stage. Victoria, who was seating beside him, rolled her eyes.
"Don't compare Sulli to you Chanyeol. I'm sure she's relaxed by now. You know how composed and calm she is." she replied.

Chanyeol drummed his fingers on his lap nervously and glanced at Victoria.

"You think so?"
"Yeah." she answered confidently. "Why do you look more nervous than Sulli by the way?"
"I want her to win." he smiled at her and looked at the stage in front of them again.

Unknown by the two of them though, Sulli looked - if possible - more nervous than Chanyeol was.

"Alright Sulli. Don't think that you've got a huge crowd outside. Keep calm and enjoy the music. You can do it! You can do it!" she told herself in a determined voice. She put her hand on her chest and breathed evenly. Soon, the emcees appeared on stage. The cheers went louder and took a long time for the emcees to calm the excited the students before starting the program.
"Well that's what we call a huge warm of applause, doesn't it Kim?" the woman emcee asked her partner.
"That's right Julia. Good afternoon everyone! I'm Kim Min Jun and this Julia Ho, and we'll be your emcees for today. Without further ado... SM High! ARE YOU ALL READY FOR OUR TALENT SHOW?" Kim asked everyone.
"YESSS!!!" everyone chorused.
"Then let us all give another round of applause for our first contestants: from the juniors - Kai! and from the freshmen - Luna!!!!"
"Huh." Krystal snorted.

Kai and Luna waved happily at the crowd. Luna was wearing a y, black empire waist dress with a midnight-blue corsage made from net roses. On the other hand, Kai was wearing a white and thin long sleeve, with a large V-neck that went down to his stomach, exposing his nicely-built abs. There were dreamy sighs from girls as they watered over Kai's body... even the emcee Julia was distracted by him.

As the first beat of the music started, Kai twirled Luna around and caught her again in a closed embrace. Jealous girls from the crowd scoffed instantly. They danced in unison, with their legs relaxed and slightly bent. The playful tango music kept everyone in interest. Luna was grinning inwardly. She liked the attention... she liked that every girl was jealous of her. It was like as if her dream came true. When Kai lifted her up, she was too overwhelmed by the gasps of the jealous girls and caught herself off guard - Luna tripped in her 4-inch heels and fell over Kai. There was a louder gasp on the crowd... then it was eventually replaced by jeers and boos. Krystal herself did not bother to hide the laughter on her face - Luna and Kai's pathetic faces were enough to make her day.

*Good for them. They deserve it.* she thought happily.

Kai gritted his teeth in anger and pushed Luna away from him. He stormed out of the stage without finishing the song. Luna was left alone on stage, and she looked around the jeering crowd in front of her. Just minutes ago, she felt like she was the luckiest woman in Earth... but now she's facing the most embarassing moment in her life. With angry and humiliated tears, she ran away too.

"That.. that was really, um. interesting.. " Kim started. He wiped the tears from his eyes and grinned on the crowd. "Thank you Kai and Luna for that entertaining performance! And now... let us give way to our next contestant, from freshmen year - Sulli!!"

Chanyeol immediately stood from his seat and clapped the hardest and cheered the loudest. Sulli spotted him easily and grinned from ear to ear. Her friend was very supportive, and the butterflies in her stomach flew a little bit higher as she stared into his bright eyes.

*Lord, if I win this competition tomorrow, I promise that I'll tell Chanyeol how I feel for him* she thought.

After the applause - and it took longer for Chanyeol - Sulli bowed elegantly at them all. She placed her violin on her left shoulder and rested her chin above it. She took a deep breath... and played the most relaxing love song anyone in the arena had heard. It was a self-composed song that she wrote years before. Sulli vowed that she will play this song if and only if she met the man she loves.

And she did. Five months ago.

When the song ended, everyone stood from their seats and gave her the warmest standing ovation ever. 

"WOOOHOOOOO!! That's my friend! That's my friend!" Chanyeol's deep voice rang loudly despite from the heavy cheers of students around. Sulli was too overwhelmed by their reaction, and she forced herself not to cry in front of them. She bowed again and walked away, keeping herself from hopping.

After all the contestants finished their performances, everyone started to leave the gym, with talks of who will win tomorrow. 
"Let's meet Sulli backstage Chanyeol." Victoria asked.
"Wait Victoria.. I'll just talk to Krystal." Chanyeol said. He raked his eyes around and seached for Krystal.
"What for??" Victoria asked but Chanyeol did not hear her.
"Krystal! Krystal!!" Chanyeol called.

Krystal turned and looked at him.
"What do you want now?"
"Tomorrow's our performance. Are you going to watch?" Chanyeol asked.
"Why?"
"Well.. remember what I told you before, the one that I have stage fright?"
"Yeah..?" she answered slowly
"I was thinking... can you watch me perform?"
"Why???"
"Because..." Chanyeol's voice faltered shyly. "Because I told you once that with you I'm confident. I know that if you're with me, I can overcome my fear. So.. can you please come?" he asked.

Krystal stared into his hopeful eyes. The two of them looked at each other for a long time without saying a word. The longer he waited, the more Chanyeol thought he won't be able to get an answer from her. Then, he nodded his head sadly.
"I understand Krystal." he said and turned away from her, but Krystal caught his arm.

He looked into her confused eyes and waited.

"I'm not promising this... but I'll try."

(last day of intrams: Awarding, performance and party)

Chanyeol and Sulli were both waiting backstage for their turn. Sulli kept on glancing nervously at Chanyeol.

"We can back out if you want to Chanyeol." she said.
"No Sulli. It's... it's fine. I'm fine." he smiled at her and gave her an approving nod. She looked at him unconvincingly.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." Chanyeol took a deep, calming breath and prayed hard.

*Please don't let me wet myself again. Please don't let me wet myself again* he thought. He never told this to anyone - not even to his mom, but he wore an adult diaper just to keep things safe. He desperately wished he doesn't have to use that though.

"By the way, I like the song we're going to play. Did you composed that?" Sulli asked.
"Huh?" Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts and looked at her. "Yeah... yeah I wrote that song. It's for Krystal."

Ouch. 

Sulli pursed her lips and attempted to smile ... but all she managed  to give was a sour grin. Luckily, Chanyeol did not notice it because he was back with his prayer again.

"... and now, from Ms. Song's music students in 1-A, Park Chanyeol and Choi Sulli!"
"It's our turn Chanyeol!" Sulli said. She started to walk but stopped soon, because Chanyeol was still rooted on the spot. "Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol's lips were quivering. 

"C-c-can't..." he stuttered.

Sulli sighed. She turned and walked towards him instead. Then without warning, she hugged Chanyeol from his front.

"You're going to be fine. I'm here." she said, blushing rapidly. 

Chanyeol looked down on her and smiled.

"You're right Sulli. We're together. I can do this." he said. *And Krystal might have been on the crowd too* he added hopefully.
"Then let's go, they're waiting for us." Sulli removed her embrace and tugged him on the stage.

The first thing that Chanyeol saw was a flash of blinding light. The spotlights were all on them, and he can't see who was on the crowd. He raised his hand to cover his eyes and turned his mic on.

"Um.. can you please turn the spotlight from the other direction?" he asked politely.

There was a slight laughter from his request but someone obliged. They turned the spotlight on the side doors instead and now Chanyeol can see the crowd in front of him.

He did not know if he should have just let the spotlight blind him or not.... because the crowd was incredibly enormous. It seemed lie not only all students from SM High were here, but also the teachers and personnel too.

And it made him grew nervous. He gulped and looked around, searching for Krystal. He was dazed by the large number of people and she can't see her anywhere. Chanyeol looked at Sulli fearfully. He was about to back down.

"Start! We're waiting!" someone from the crowd shouted.

Chanyeol wiped the sweat on his face and gripped his mic harder. Sulli gave him an assuring nod and started to play the first keys on the piano.

[Now playing: EXO - Into your world]

"T-this moment..." Chanyeol started. His voice cracked and he stopped, but Sulli kept on playing.

*Come one Chanyeol, you can sing it.* Sulli thought.

"You were... were.."

The audience were starting to laugh at him. Marked on not, he was still a laughing stock.

*Come onnnnn* Sulli bit her lip desperately and looked at Chanyeol. They were near to the chorus now and all Chanyeol sang were broken words.

*Think of Krystal Chanyeol. Just think of her* Chanyeol closed his eyes. Krystal's smiling face  when they were in WMI immediately popped in his mind. He smiled to himself and sang again..

*That beautiful princess I'm so in love with*

"..standing in front of my desperate self and praying, Just once, I want to walk side by side with you.." he sang. They were on the chorus now. He opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was the lighted side doors by the spotlight earlier. He saw Krystal leaning on the door looking like a goddess fallen from Chanyeol's heaven. She was looking at him encouragingly.

"Taken by the soft wind into your world
You asked me brightly where I came from to your side
And I told you that it was a secret
Wherever we walk together
Will be paradise" 
Chanyeol continued.

*You came Krystal. You came.*

Sulli sighed relief as Chanyeol sang continuously. She noticed that he was not moving his head, nor his eyes, just looking straight ahead. She followed his gaze and her heart sank. His eyes were locked on Krystal - and to her alone.

When they finished their song, everyone clapped appreciatively. Most of the students were in fact, awed by Chanyeol's performance. Sulli and Chanyeol bowed at the audience and together they went backstage.

"That was really awesome Chanyeol!" Victoria flung her arms around Chanyeol and hugged him tightly. Chanyeol laughed and patted her head.
"Thanks Victoria." Victoria removed her hug and kissed Sulli on her cheeks.
"Of course you too Sulli." she said.
"Thank you.. I did not do much though." Sulli answered humbly.
"Silly. Of course you did. You remained beside me." Chanyeol said messing her hair.
"Yah!"
"Hey, Chanyeol." someone said.

Chanyeol saw Kris grinning on him.

"I don't know that you can sing." he said.
"I also rap." Chanyeol added jokingly.
"Yeah? Well to bad, I'm better than you." Kris lifted his chin cockily. "I'm like the coolest man around. You can ask Tao and Xiumin if you want to." he gave Chanyeol a playful punch and continued. "Congratulations for not wetting yourself by the way." he guffawed and walked away.
"Kris has some serious mood swings." Victoria frowned. "Sometimes, he was the bully. Then now he was so kind. I mean, do you get him??" she turned to Chanyeol for an answer.
"Yeah, I did."
"Well, let's go back to our seats. The awardings are about to start."

Sulli breathed nervously. 

*Am I going to win? If so, then can I really confess?* Sulli thought. She, Chanyeol and Victoria sat on one of the front seats and waited.

The first award was for the overall winner for light games - which was the seniors bagging the honor. All the seniors including Victoria cheered wildly as their leader accepted their trophy on stage. Next was for the individual sports and team sports's champion. The freshmen won the first place in volleyball and Krystal was the one who accepted their trophies. In basketball, it was the seniors who won, (which was to no one's surprise) and the cocky Kris smiled triumphantly on stage. He took his trophy from Mr. Wu., the SM High's director, and rolled his eyes at him.

"Good work son." Mr. Wu grunted.
"Cut the show old man. I'm not falling for it." Kris grunted back.

Meanwhile, Victoria won the pageant, being crowned as the Ms. SM High 2013 for the third time. Last was the talent show..

"Let it be Sulli. Let it be Sulli. Let it be Sulli." Chanyeol repeated over and over again.

*Oh Chanyeol who have no idea.* Sulli thought, but she too was hoping that she would win.

"In third place are.... Kai and Luna!!!"

None of them went on stage to get their medals and so the emcee continued. It was now between Sulli and the junior..

"And for our SM High Talent 2013... Let us give a huge warm of applause to the freshmen's Choi Sulli!!!"
"YESSSS!!! SULLI YOU WON! YOU WON!" Chanyeol jumped up and down and tugged Sulli with him. He hugged her tightly and messed her hair again. "Go, get your trophy!" he pushed her on stage and grinned happily. Sulli walked towards Mr. Wu and bowed at him. She shook hands with everyone as she received her award.
"Congratulations again girl." Victoria said.
"Thanks." Sulli said. She looked to Chanyeol and continued. "Um, Chanyeol.. do you have a minute??" 
"Huh? Yeah sure."
"Ok then, I'll leave you two first. Bye!"

Sulli and Chanyeol waved at her. 

"Let's go?" Sulli led the way outside the gym. The two of them walked on the empty corridor of the main building without talking,
"Where are we goind Sulli?"
"I.. I don't know. Really." they stopped in front of their music class and she turned to him. "Chanyeol... I.. I need to tell you something."
"Go on." he said patiently.
"I hope that you don't get mad at me... Yesterday, I promised myself that I'll do this if I won.." she paused and peered into his eyes.
"Yes?"
"I... Chanyeol I -"
"Chanyeol.!" Kris was walking towards them. "Hey can I talk to you?"

Sulli opened to protest but stopped. Kris glanced at her and said,

"Am I disturbing something?" he asked.
"Yes, Sulli was -"
"No. No you're not. Go on, I.. I need to go to bathroom." 
"But Sulli -"
"Bye!"

 Sulli ran away from them and Chanyeol stared at her back. *What was wrong with her?* he thought.

"Hey." Kris snapped his fingers in front of Chanyeol.
"What is it that you want to talk about?" Chanyeol asked.
"Chanyeol.. I have a favor to ask."
"What is it Pierced Giant?"

Kris ignored his pet name and continued.

"I know this is sudden.. but... can you help me with Krystal?"

Chanyeol blinked.

"What?"
"I said.. can you help me with Krystal? To get to know her more and be close to her?"
"Why me?" Chanyeol blurted. He did not understand why Kris was saying this at all.
"Because I noticed that you two are close. We're friends right? So, can you help me?"

The clock ticked longer while Kris waited for Chanyeol's answer. Finally, he asked.

"Why? Why do want to be close to her?"
"Because... I like her".

That made Chanyeol's heart heavier. It was a common knowledge to him that every man wanted Krystal and it did not bother him at all. He was so used to it that he thought he was immune with Krystal's admirers already.

But why was he feeling like this towards Kris? Why was he feeling..

*Jealous? Am I jealous?*

Kris waited for his answer again.

"Hey, are you still with me?" he asked irritably
"I..."
"You what?"

 

"I can't." Chanyeol answered. He looked into Kris's eyes and continued with a more determined voice. "I can't do it. I'm sorry."
"Why?" Kris asked blankly. 
"Because, I like her too."

And with that Chanyeol left, leaving Kris alone on the empty corridor.

Chanyeol can't still believe himself for saying that out loud, but he did not regret it. He did not want to fool himself.

*Sometimes, it's better to tell the truth soon than suffer later*

He was not looking to where he was walking and bumped into someone.

"Sorry." he grunted. He looked at the person he bumped into and to his utmost shock, it was Krystal.
"Krystal!" he shouted.

Krystal raised her eyebrow.

"It looks like you saw a ghost than a person. What's wrong with you?" she asked.

Chanyeol looked into Krystal's beautiful face, down to her lips. He pursed his lips and moved his eyes back to her eyes.

"Come with me." he held her hands softly and led her towards their algebra room. He turned the doorknob and it was thankfully open. The room's windows were open, reflecting the large, full moon above. Chanyeol did not switch the lights on and he closed the door behind them instead. 
"Why are we here?" Krystal asked.
"Krystal.... I'm going to ask you something."

Krystal did not answer. Chanyeol chose his words carefully before he continued.

"Did you consider me as your friend?" he asked.
"Why?"
"I just want to know." he answered sincerely.

Krystal considered his question and answered.

"Yes, I did."
Chanyeol couldn't help himself from smiling.

"Then... do you trust me?"

Again, it took Krystal a long time to answer.

"I started not to after my mother went on WMI. But now.. I think I did."

Chanyeol's smile grew wider. He was lost for words to say. Krystal turned her back from him and said,

"You don't believe me do you? Took my dress's ziper down" she ordered, nodding on her dress with a back zipper on it.
"W-what?! NO KRYSTAL! That's not what I meant! I believe you trust me... but. But. But. It doesn't mean we have to share fluids! That's not what I meant!" Chanyeol said hysterically, closing his eyes and flapping his arms wildly.
"Sharing fluids?" Krystal asked blankly. "Oh. You mean ?"
"No! Don't say it!"

Krystal rolled her eyes dramatically.

"Stupid Chanyeol. You've got a dirty mind, you know that? That's not what I meant." she answered flatly.
"H-huh?"
"Take the ziper down. But not entirely." she ordered again. Chanyeol did not move, and she sighed impatiently. "Quick."

Reluctantly, Chanyeol reached for her zipper and moved it downwards. He closed his eyes on the process.. The zipper seemed to take for ages. He was wondering when would it stop -
"Stop." Krystal said. "Open your eyes."

Slowly, Chanyeol opened his eyes. Then, he gasped loudly.

"Oh Krystal!"

Krystal's back has a long scar that crosses from her left shoulder to her waist. The scar looked years old, but its mark was still visible, even with the lack of light inside the room. Chanyeol touched her scar softly and looked at Krystal's back pitifully.

"What happened here?" he asked, moving the ziper upwards again.
"Mommy did that to me." Krystal turned to him sadly. "I guess she already knew that my father was cheating on her for a long time but she kept it to herself. Maybe that was why she went crazy."
"Then?"

Krystal looked down as she remembered the pain she experienced.

"Whenever I can't fall asleep I will always go into my parent's room. My father was on his business trip, and so Mom was left alone in their room. She was crying. I approached her and hugged her from behind her back. She's not responding to me."

Krystal closed her eyes.

"Then suddenly, Mommy stood up and trashed wildly on her room. She knocked on our tables, threw our lamps, books.. I don't know what was going on her but I tried to stop her. Then she suddenly placed her hands under the bed and pulled out a knife. I was scared, I tried to run. She caught me and slashed my back. My scream awakened everyone on the mansion and they rushed on us. The next thing I knew, Mommy is gone. She was replaced by another woman I barely knew."

Krystal fell silent. She wiped the tears on her face and looked away from Chanyeol.

"I hate . I hate my Dad. I trusted him and Mommy trusted him but our trust went nowhere else. I really want to move Mommy away from here. Away from my father. Away from everyone. If I have the chance to do that, I will not hesitate to grab that opprotunity."

There was an awkward silence between them. Chanyeol did not know what should he say. Finally, he pulled Krystal towards him and wrapped her in a warm embrace. He kissed the top of her head and rested his cheek on her hair.

"I don't know what can I do to help you Krystal, I really don't know."
"You don't need to do anything." Krystal said.

Chanyeol straightened up and gazed intently on her eyes.

"I have my final question then Krystal."
"What?"
"Do you love me?"

 

Krystal dropped her jaw in shock. She gaped at him for several minutes and even considered on asking him to repeat it again, but Chanyeol's burning eyes said it all. She can't moved ... she can't speak a word. She was utterly immobilized by Chanyeol's question.

Then, Chanyeol leaned closer to her. Now she became stiffer than before. Krystal froze and had the urge to ran away - but her feet was glued on the ground. Chanyeol lifted her chin slowly and Krystal averted her eyes.

"Look at me Krystal."

Krystal did not look at him. She continued on staring at the lizard on the wall and kept her eyes focused on that animal.

Chanyeol cupped her face and turned it in front of him. Krystal tried to breath evenly. She was not intending to this at all, but her eyes met Chanyeol's eyes, and from that moment, she was totally captivated, unable to think... or breathe... or move... or speak.

Chanyeol looked into her lips. He his lips too and slowly, he tilted his head and kissed her... feeling her apple-scented breath. His heart beat a thousand times faster as his lips met Krystal's and he was unable to breathe properly himself. He was no good kisser, but he saw some tips on the movies before. He tried to mimick it. On the other hand, Krystal was the best model of a stone statue. She did not do anything at first.

But she closed her eyes too and felt Chanyeol's lips as well. She opened and felt Chanyeol's baby breath. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer to her.

After minutes of kissing, they parted their lips and gasped for air. For a moment, the only sound heard in the room was their breaths. Then, Chanyeol broke the silence.

"Krystal, do you love me?" he repeated.

 

 

 

 

"Yes. Yes Yeollie, I do."