To Capture A Smile

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 12

"Who is this again Aunt Beautiful? Krys...tal." Chanyeol repeated for the umpteenth time.

Mrs. Jung's response was no surprise.

"Chan...yeol."

Chanyeol hung his head. He had been doing this for three weeks now, but there was still little improvement. He turned Mrs. Jung around so that she's facing him now instead of the outstretched photo in front of her.

"Aunt Beautiful... please say Krystal's name..." he pleaded. "Krystal is really sad since you became like this, and she was even sadder when you can remember someone's name but not your own daughter's." he looked intently into her eyes. "I want to see Krystal happy again. I want to see her smile... to hear her laugh. Her bubbly voice before was the sweetest music in my ears, and I want to witness it again. This was the reason why I entered SM High. I want to capture her smile." he smiled sadly at her then he rummaged his bag and searched for more photos.

"Look here Aunt Beautiful... she was smiling with her boy friend, but look at her smile... it was lifeless. Krystal's whole personality is dead and cold." he pursed his lips. "I don't want to see her on that way anymore. I miss my old friend."

Mrs. Jung stared at Chanyeol curiously,but she said nothing.

The living room door opened and Krystal walked in. Chanyeol smiled at Krystal.

"Good morning Krystal!!"
"Don't you ever get tired of that greeting?" she asked exasperatedly.
"If it is for you, then never my Krystal!"

Krystal bulged her eyes and shot him a death glare.

"Since when did I tell you that I'm yours?" she snapped.
"Er..."
"Quit dreaming, because that will never happen."

She pushed him away from her mother and sat at his chair.

"Mommy, I brought you apples. You love apples right?" she asked in what she hoped was a cheerful way.

Mrs. Jung stared at Krystal. She looked deep into her black and beautiful eyes. Krystal stared back, giving her thousands of unspoken words that she wished her eyes can communicate.

*Mommy I miss you so much...*
*Please come back to us*
*I love you Mommy.*

There was a sudden vibration on Krystal's pocket and she jumped. She picked up her phone and rolled her eyes when she looked at the caller I.D.

"It's Kai again." she muttered irritably. Kai ended his call and Krystal sighed. Then her phone vibrated again.

Krystal gritted her teeth. Reluctantly, she answered his call.

"What Kai?" she snapped.
"Where are you? Why aren't you answering my calls and text messages?"he asked angrily.
"I'm busy with my work, unlike you, who do nothing but dance."
"Yeah? Well I've been busy but I still find time for you." he said coldly.
"But I don't."
"Seriously Krystal? What's wrong with you? What's your problem?"

Krystal sighed. She can't keep up with the facade anymore.

"You Kai. You're the problem."
"What's wrong with me??" he shrieked.
"I don't like you anymore. And I'm tired of being your trophy girl friend. I'm so done with you."
"So that's it then? After all those making out that we did -"
"See? That's another problem. That's what you only want from me!"
"T-that's not true..."
"Yeah? Then tell me that you love me."
"I love you." he answered flatly.
"Oh my gosh, I actually felt that you love me Kai! Here's my answer."
"What?"
"I don't love you. Never has, and never will."
"Fine! Well I never did too! Luna is way better than you!"
"Hah! And so you're cheating with my friend? What's this? Just like that Kris and Ariel?"
"Jealous?"
"Nah, go to hell Kai." and with that she ended his call. She doesn't really care with their breakup, but she needed to get back at Luna. She hated .
"Krystal... are you.. okay?" Chanyeol asked uncertainly.
"Do I look like I'm okay?" she snapped.

Chanyeol shook his head timidly.

Krystal rolled her eyes and looked at her mom. She was still staring at her.

"I'm sorry Mommy, I haven't been able to peel your apples." she picked one and started peeling it with a plastic peeler.
"Why don't you use knife Krystal? It would be easier for you to peel Aunt Beautiful's apple."

Krystal glared at Chanyeol.

"Never let Mommy see a knife. Or anything shiny and pointy." she hissed.
"Why?"
"It's her trigger. She'll go nuts if she saw one."
"Why?"
"Stop asking questions!"
"But -"

Krystal gave him another sharp look, and Chanyeol stopped interrogating.
 

At that evening, Krystal decided to stay overnight. She had been doing this for quite some time, especially when she wanted space for herself and that is with her mom.

"Is it ok with you to let her sleep here?" Mrs. Park asked Nica,
"Yes. That was just a little thing that we can do for her, she has done so much for us and this institution already."

Mrs. Park nodded in agreement and stared at Krystal. She was still with her mom, supposedly talking at her about random things. Mrs. Jung, in return, was staring intently at her daughter.

"Then can I stay overnight too Ms. Nica?" Chanyeol butted in.
"Eh??"

Nica looked inquiringly at Mrs. Park who was in deep thought.

"Hmm... I think that it's wise if you do Chanyeol. Just for Krystal's company. Will you agree with that Nica?"

Nica looked from Krystal to Chanyeol and smirked.

"Yeah, sure. I'll let it pass with Chanyeol too."

*Yes!* Chanyeol thought happily.

"Okay, then if it's all settled then, I'll go home now. Chanyeol, take care of Krystal, ok?"
"I will Mom!"

Mrs. Park gave him an affectionate smile and picked her bag. After a brief good-bye with the workers and Chanyeol, she walked out of WMI alone.

Chanyeol immediately dashed towards Krystal and sat beside her. He picked a photo of Krystal when they were in middle school. She was crowned Ms.  Seoul Academy 2012 at that time.

"Here Aunt Beautiful, isn't Krystal so loveable?" he asked dreamily.

Krystal blushed but she kept a straight face. She was watching at her mother's reaction. Mrs. Jung was looking at her daughter's photo. Then, just like a miracle, she nodded.

Krystal and Chanyeol's eyes widened. Mrs. Jung opened and tried uttering another word..

"K.....krystal......."

*No... No Mommy, you didn't say my name..*

"K- krystal..."

She gasped audibly. It felt like tons of metals were lifted from Krystal's heavy and sad heart. Her life was dark... she was very aware of that... but her Mom, her only strength, just said her name.. and she remembered it.

Her eyes began to water. Soon enough, she can't hold back the tears and cried her heart out.

"Oh! Oh Mom! You said my name... You remembered your Krystal!" she cried happily. She pulled her Mom into avery tight hug and cried harder. "This is the happiest day of my life Mom. I love you.... I love you so much and words can't express how big it is. I missed you.." she whispered softly, and for the first time in very long years, she cracked one, genuine smile - revealing a beauty that no make-ups can do. It was a beauty that outshined sadness, and it was the most dazzling thing Chanyeol had ever seen in his life.

He pointed his camera's lens on Krystal's smileing face, and clicked its button. He looked  to the photo and gave a satifsied smile.

This was the picture of Krystal he'd been hoping to capture for a very long time. And now, his two missions were done.

He saw her smile again, and he captured it with his camera.

*A photographer always waits for the right time to click his camera and capture that great photo no other photographers can get. I was successful this time. No other man can capture a smile of Krystal's like I did.*

"Thank you, Aunt Beautiful, you helped me with my mission." he muttered softly.

***

Chanyeol tucked Krystal's blanket tightly and patted her hair softly. He smiled to himself - this day was one of the happiest days of his life, and he will never grew tired in reminiscing this magical moment every day.

"Krystal's asleep?" Nica asked softly. She had just entered the guest lounge. 

Chanyeol put his finger on his lips to hush her. Nica laughed softly and joined Chanyeol too. She sat beside him on the floor while she looked at Krystal who was sleeping soundly at the couch.

"I saw what happened earlier." she said.

Chanyeol waited for her to continue.

"You took a photo inside. I thought we're clear at that?" she asked sternly.

He fidgeted nervously.

"I'm really sorry Ms. Nica! I know I did promise you that, but it was a moment that I can't let pass! Krystal just smiled, she -"
"Yes yes I get it boy." Nica cut in. "I'm just messing with 'ya. I know that you don't mean any malice, and I trusted with you. It's okay." she gave him an approving smile. "I did see Krystal smiled. And I was very happy to see her on that way too. This wouldn't happened if it wasn't because of you Chanyeol."
"Me? But I didn't do anything. Aunt Beautiful did it. She said Krystal's name."
"But Mrs. Jung wouldn't do that if you gave up with your attempt to make her remember Krystal's name. I have never seen someone so persistent and determined like you do Chanyeol, and I know, Mrs. Jung saw that on you too. You made her do it. It was all thanks to you." she smiled at him and messed her hair. "Krystal's very lucky a man like you loves her."

Chanyeol turned in a deep shade of tomato and blinked many times.

Love was a strong word.

"I'll leave you here with her, ok? Good night Chanyeol."
"Good night Ms. Nica." he answered absent-mindedly.

After Nica left, Chanyeol searched his bag and took out his notebook and pen. He did not know what made him bring is journal since he came here in WMI but now he was grateful that he did. He started writing;

Dear Krystal:

This was the most special day for us- Aunt Beautiful said your name; You were happy that she did; and I was happy that both of you were happy. Your smile was the most wonderful thing I've seen in you for years.I accomplished my purpose why I came here in SM High, but it doesn't mean that I'll leave your side now! No, I still want to see more smiles from you.

By the way, Ms. Nica said something. She said that I love you... but I'm not sure. I have a huge crush on you and I love you as a friend, maybe just like Sulli, but do I love you more than that? I'm really confused.

Thank you for giving your friend the best gift ever. 

Yeollie

He finished writing and placed his notebook back to his bag. He gave one last smile from Krystal and stood up. He wanted some fresh air.

The hallway was dark and quiet. Chanyeol creeped out a little at the thought of how eerie the institution was without its helpers, its lights and bright walls. He walked quickly outside and stopped in front of the lamp post. He sat on the bench beside it and looked up in the sky - even the heavens were celebrating Krystal's smile - every star shine above him. 

*The stars shine just like you Krystal*

 

"H-hurry up Xiumin! They'll catch us!!!" Tao shouted, panting heavily as he leaned on the wall for support.
"Easy for you to say! You're thinner than me!" Xiumin growled, but he continued running.
"What the fck are you doing?! LET'S GO!" Kris shouted angrily. He was way ahead of Tao and Xiumin, and he was also panting heavily.
"That fcking goons did really come back at us. Fck them all!" Tao cursed repeatedly. Soon, he and Xiumin joined Kris and they ran together again.

Bang! Bang!

Loud gunshots were heard from the isolated and almost inhabited village of Seoul. They put their hands over their head protectively and ducked, while they continued running. There were numerous of alleyways and and roadways everywhere, and it was like no more family was living in this deserted area. They passed on a boarded convenience store and searched frantically for a hiding spot.

The three of them looked to their left, then they looked to their right, then they looked right in front of them. Three roadways and they don't know which one to take.

"Let's split up." Kris suggested determinedly.
"NO!" Tao and Xiumin chorused.
"Shut up! It's the best choice!" Kris shouted back, but there was regret in his tone. "Whatever happens, continue running. Don't fight. We don't have weapons like them. Search for cover. Don't look back." he commanded.
"I'll show them my martial arts -" Tao started.
"Stop suggesting stupid things Tao! You'll die because of your idiocy!"
"But we can't split up too! What if someone..?"

 

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"Listen." Kris said urgently. "No one will die." he said firmly. "If someone did, then I'll take your out. I promise you that. GO!" He pushed Tao and Xiumin on different ways. They looked at each other hesitantly, then finally, the three of them nodded.

Xiumin took the right, Tao turned to left, and Kris ran straight ahead.

"They split up! You - go over that fattie! You Baek Hyoo, go after that tall man and Ji Won and I will go after their leader! I'll show him hell, after what he did to me last time." they heard their leader shout.
"Ok Garum!"

"!" Kris cursed loudly. He desperately hoped that Tao and Xiumin will be okay. He ran blindly around, turning on different corners and alleyways. He can hear them getting nearer to him.... his breath was heavier .... He found a clearing ahead and went towards it. He caught a brief glimpse of a building with fading wall paint, but he did not stop to look at it. He turned to his right and entered another alleyway, hoping against hope, that he finally lost his pursuers.

 

"Huh? Is that Pierced Giant?!" Chanyeol muttered at him, surprised by his sudden appearance from an alleyway not far from him. He was running fastly, looking like he was afraid of something. He watched him turned to his right and frowned.

Bang! Bang!

He heard loud gunshots and immediately ducked behind the bench for cover. He peered behind the gaps and saw that two bulky men came out from the alleyway where Kris had been through a while ago. They turned towards their left and seconds later, they too were gone.

"Don't let him go!" someone yelled angrily.

*No way! Pierced Giant is in trouble!* Chanyeol thought. Without stopping to think, he ran after Kris and entered the right alleyway. 

Kris was leaning on the wall, looking cautiously at his right. 

*I hope I lost them* he thought.

Chanyeol tiptoed behind Kris and grabbed his left arm. Kris reacted immediately and punched Chanyeol on the face with his fullest effort.

"OWW!!!!" Chanyeol clutched his bleeding nose and glared at Kris. Kris looked more surprised at seeing Chanyeol in front of him than the men who was after him.
"What are you doing here carrot head?!" he demanded.
"I'm here to save you! Let's go!" he wiped his bloody nose and grabbed his arm again. Kris yanked it away.
"Why are you here? Are you one of them?!" he accused, his eyes burned with suspicion.
"Who?? I don't know what you're talking about! Come on!"
"Search that alleyway Bren! That fcking kid might be hiding there!" someone ordered near them.

Chanyeol and Kris froze. They immediately ran towards the other way and turned around the corner -

it was a dead end.

And now they're trapped.

Chanyeol and Kris gulped nervously. Chanyeol looked up at Kris and suddenly, a bright, stupid and humiliating idea lit up on him. He said in a croaky voice,

"Pierced Giant, listen to me." he said urgently.

Kris looked at at him and raised his eyebrow.

"What did you call me? My name -"
"Listen!" Chanyeol advanced towards him and Kris backed away several steps, until he reached the wall. Chanyeol slammed both of his arms on either side of Kris's face, trapping him. He looked intently to his eyes and gulped.
"I want you to know.... that I'm a man." he said huskily.

They heard heavy footsteps getting nearer at them. Chanyeol's tone became more urgent.

"Please forgive me."
"What are you saying ?! -"

The man named Bren turned around the corner. Chanyeol cupped Kris's face instantly and turned him around, blocking Kris's face from Bren. He placed his lips on Kris's lips and clung on his face tightly. Kris bulged his eyes and pushed Chanyeol furiously, bu he wouldn't budge.

"UGGGHHH . Get a room you gays!" they heard Ben shouted disgustedly. He turned his back from them and walked away, muttering blunt words about gays and .

Kris was still pushing Chanyeol away. They need to breath.

"Have you seen him?!"
"No. I didn't!"
"Fck! He got away again!" there was a sound of a trash bin being kicked. "Let's go. Search that building over there."

They heard their footsteps getting farther away from them. Soon, the sound faded, and they were safe.

Chanyeol released Kris and looked above him immediately,avoiding his eyes. He was burning with humiliation. It was the second time their lips met, and tonight, it was no accident anymore.

Kris hang his mouth wide open and glared at Chanyeol. He clenched his fists tightly until he felt his nails digging up his palms.

"Y-y-youuuu..." he rubbed his lips furiously. "You deserved that punch earlier carrot head!!" he shouted. Chanyeol put his hands on his mouth and hushed him.
"Ssshhh! Do you want to get heard?! We may not be able to get out this time if they found us again!"

Kris pursed his lips angrily. He felt that he'd rather face the goons than kiss a man.

They made sure that the men were really gone before Chanyeol grabbed Kris's arm and led the way towards the institution.

"Get off of me.!" Kris growled, pulling his arm from Chanyeol.

They stopped at a corner and cautiously peered on either side of the street. When they were sure that no one's around, they ran hurriedly towards WMI whose lights gleamed brightly around the quiet village. Chanyeol turned the doorknob and quickly let Kris inside, then he snapped the door shut.

"Oh my God Chanyeol! I thought we lost you!" Nica cried in relief.
"Huh?"
"Two men who were carrying guns entered inside earlier, they scared everyone around here! Oh my God, I thought something might happened to you, we heard continuous gun shots every where." she croaked. Nica was shaking from head to toe. Chanyeol hugged her tightly.
"It's ok now Ms. Nica, is everyone ok now?"
"Yes. They were. Some of our patients went berserk whose triggers were gun shots. Oh, it was hell." she groaned.
"I'm glad to know that everyone's fine Ms. Nica. Don't be scared anymore... Where's Krystal?"

A door to the far left opened.

"Excuse me, is that man here now?" they heard Krystal asked concernedly. The crowd parted and revealed a worried- looking Krystal at the doorway, holding her mother's hand tightly. She looked into Chanyeol's face and sighed inwardly. The she looked to his right and received a shock.

Kris was staring at him, his opened mouth larger than earlier.

"Krystal Jung? What are you doing here???"

Krystal looked helplessly from Nica to Chanyeol for help. 

 

She never knew her secret will be found by two people in three weeks.