SM High's Intrams

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 14

(WMI)

Krystal do not know any other man that can be as persistent and determined like Chanyeol. She leaned by the door as she watched him play and talked animatedly with her mother. She can't help feeling grateful to this man in front of her, because she knew that he's the reason why her mom was able to remember her. With that, she's forever thankful to him.

Of course there's the fact that she always feel guilty everyday for being rude to him. All he did was to smile, to laugh, to make efforts to make her happy, and all she did in return was to shun him away. Now she regretted that - big time.

"I haven't been able to say sorry to you by the way." Krystal muttered to herself. She gave a small smile as she saw her mom smiling at Chanyeol. If she remained in a dark cave before since her mom became crazy, then Chanyeol was surely the candle that lightened her blackened world. 

Krystal walked toward them and placed her basket of fruits on the table. Mrs. Jung looked up to her and said her usual greeting,

"Krystal." she said. Krystal smiled at Mrs. Jung and kissed her mom on the cheek.
"How are you doing Mommy? You want apples?"

Mrs. Jung looked at the apples and nodded. She has been showing great improvements lately unlike before where she just remained stone-cold and ignored everyone.  Krystal can only think of Chanyeol on why this kind of thing happened too. 

"Here." she threw an apple on Chanyeol's lap. He looked into it and said,
"Oh yes! Of course I'll peel the apples for you!"
"No idiot. It's yours. Eat." Kystal said. She avoided Chanyeol's eyes and peeled the apples instead.

Chanyeol widened his eyes in surprise but he joyfully accepted the apple. He sank his rich teeth onto it without peeling the apple and chewed dreamily.

"Mm... it's sweet Krystal. Just like you!!" he said.

Krystal wanted to get use to this kinds of compliments from Chanyeol, and so she ignored him. It was the best way to get used to it without blushing after all.

When it was almost dusk, Krystal and Chanyeol decided to leave WMI. Chanyeol walked Krystal toward her car and opened the door for her.

"Drive safely Krystal! See you tomorrow in class!" he waved at her and smiled widely. Krystal looked into that shining, blissful face and gave him a reserved smile - something that she's not doing to anyone for a very long time.
"Yeah, see you."

***

(SM High's gym)

However, the next day was not a day for classes but for the year level meetings. Ms. Go, their PE instructor, and Ms. Song, their music instructor, stood on the platform in front of the whole freshmen of SM High. Chanyeol sat beside Sulli while Krystal was seated in front of him. Everyone was buzzing around loudly while the two instructors bent their heads together and discussed their things silently. Finally, they straightened up and everyone kept quiet immediately. Ms. Go's death glare was enough to silence them all.

"As you all know, next week is our yearly intramurals. You were all divided into three teams, each representing the year level you're in. The first day will be a game for everyone who're interested to join the light games. The second and third days are for the major sports games. At this time, Ms. Song and I will choose the players that will represent our team for each sport. On the fourth day is the talent show. Everyone who wanted to join here are free to do so too. If no one presented themselves, then we're forced to choose among of you. Lastly, on Friday, we will have the final celebration, the awarding of the best team and individual honors." Ms. Go explained.

"I'm thinking that the participants in our final celebration will come from my students in music class. After all, I've been teaching them for 5 months now. I surely want to see if they did learn anything for me. Do you have obejections freshmen?"

No one dared to protest -even when Chanyeol was fighting his urge to shout "yes!" in front of everyone. He'll do anything but perform on stage, anything at all!

*Yes Ms. Gray! I object!!* he kept on thinking, but he was unable to blurt out his words.

Ms. Song nodded appreciatively on everyone and continued talking about tryouts for players on their major sports. Chanyeol kept on fidgeting on his seat.

"What's wrong with you Chanyeol?" Sulli asked.
"I'm nervous Sulli." he answered, his voice hoarse.
"Why??"

He looked into her eyes pleadingly.

"I don't want to perform." he moaned.
"Then why did you not raised your hand to protest earlier?"
"I'm scared." he replied, bowing his head.

Sulli studied his face for a long time before heaving a sigh.

"I can partner you on your performance, for the very least. Just so you'll have company, how about that?" she offered.

Chanyeol smiled gratefully to her. He knew that his stage fright won't ease just by that, but he was very thankful for her offer and that he has Sulli as a friend.

"Yeah, I think it will help." he smiled weakly.
"Hmm.. I can play piano. Then you can play your guitar. How about that?"
"Okay!"
"That's settled then." and she ruffled Chanyeol's curly and messy hair.
"...Next thing is our Ms. SM High. Who should be our representative?" Ms. Song looked around expectantly around. Most of the students immediately pointed their fingers to Krystal. She looked at them and rolled her eyes.
"Nope. Not interested." she said flatly.
"But why Ms. Jung? I'm very sure that you'll be a tough competition for the other year levels, especially to Victoria. I'm guessing she'll be the senior's representative next week."
"And I'm not interested with the pageant nor with Victoria Ma'am." Krystal answered again.

It took a while for Ms. Song to accept Krystal's rejection. Then she sighed and turned to Luna.
"How about you Ms. Park? Will you be our representative?"

Luna's eyes brightened exitedly.

"Y-yes Ma'am!" she answered.
"Congrats Luna! I'm sure that you'll be way better than anyone here." Amber said loudly enough for Krystal to hear. Krystal snorted and smirked.
"Yeah Luna... too bad though, I'm sure they will not allow s inside the competition. You'll be out of the picture immediately."

Luna blushed angrily and glared at her.

"What did you say you ?!" she shouted.
"Hey! Stop using that word Ms. Park!!" Ms. Go boomed angrily.
"But she started it!" Luna pointed an accusing finger at Krystal.
"One more word, and you'll not only have detention, but we will also take back your representation for the freshmen next week."  their P.E instructor warned. Luna pursed her lips and looked away reluctantly from them. Krystal smiled triumphantly.
"Good. If no one here has another anything else to say beside Ms. Luna Park here, you're all dismissed. Tomorrow, same time, same place. You all understand?"
"Yes Ms. Go." everyone grunted. They stood from their seats and exitd the gym one by one. Chanyeol saw Krystal pushed Luna out of her way and walked away all by herself.
"Let's go Chanyeol, you're blocking the door." Sulli said.

Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts and followed Sulli out of the gymnasium.

"Yeah.. sorry about that.."
"Chanyeol! Sulli! Wait up!"

They both looked around. Victoria was waving at them from far away, running towards them. Soon, she stopped and beamed.

"Can I have lunch with you too?" she asked.

Chanyeol and Sulli bothe grinned. "Of course! Come here!" Sulli grabbed Victoria's hand and together, the three of them walked toward the cafeteria.

"Congratulations by the way. I heard that you two were recently unmarked." Victoria said.
"Yeah.. Although it was still a surprise for me, I'm really thankful that Chanyeol and I are over that childish games." Sulli answered. They passed the hallway and saw the Krystal was leaning on her locker door alone, surrounded by a number of girls. The girls looked like they were offering Krystal something, and whatever they were offering to her, Krystal was rejecting it. Later on, the girls left, their heads hunging sadly.
"I wonder what did they offered her?" Sulli asked. Victoria snorted.
"Isn't obvious? Of course they're inviting her to their circle." she replied.

Sulli nodded in understanding.

"But apparently, she's too popular and important to join those girls? Hmm. Choosy." she said, shaking her head disapprovingly. Chanyeol left Sulli and Victoria and walked towards Krystal's direction.
"Hey Chanyeol! Where are you going?" Victoria asked. He did not reply and continued walking until he reached Krystal.
"Krystal, do you want to have lunch with us?" he offered.

Krystal looked over his shoulder and saw Sulli and Victoria. She rolled her eyes at him.

"And you think that your friend would want me to join you?" she asked, nodding towards the two girls from afar. Chanyeol nodded his head.
"They're both kind Krystal. Don't worry." he said, quite oblivious at how sharp Victoria was looking at Krystal and how irritated Sulli was. Krystal, on the other hand, saw their reactions and smirked. 
"Yeah right. Thanks though, but I prefer eating on my own." she said and turned the other way.
"Wait!" Chanyeol hold her arm to stop her. She looked at him and yanked her arm. 
"What?"
"I won't take no for an answer this time Krystal! Let's go!" Chanyeol said happily, and he dragged Krystal towards Victoria and Sulli.
"What?! No, let me go Chanyeol - !"

But they reached the two girls soon and she immediately stopped talking. She stared back at the glaring daggers of Victoria and Sulli and remained calm, expressionless. There was a heavy atmosphere between the two girls, and Chanyeol was too dense to notice that.

"Alright! To the cafeteria!" he said energetically. He led the girls inside and gave everyone their trays. There was a sudden murmur around the cafeteria when they saw the most unlikely pair of peers in SM High: 2, recently unmarked losers; one extremely popular and rich kid; and the ex girl friend of the popular and rich kid's ex boy friend. Victoria sighed frustratedly and gave Krystal an irritated look. The thought of how she badly wanted to shout at Krystal for stealing Kai from her and how she badly wanted to scalp her hair was impossible to do in front of Chanyeol. Instead, she kept her calm composure and sat beside her on Chanyeol and Sulli's usual table. She did not want the seating arrangement, but she thought better against complaining about it.

Victoria, Sulli and Krystal sipped their soups and ate their meals silently. The three of them will occasionally glanced at each other, and that made the heavy atmosphere even heavier. Poor Chanyeol, all he cared right now was how hungry he was and he wolfed down his food enthusiastically without noticing the awkward situation in front of him.

Krystal nibbled in her food. She can't eat properly... not now that she's been feeling Victoria and Sulli's killing stares at her. She looked briefly at Chanyeol and heaved a small sigh, unnoticed by none but herself. She stood up from her seat and picked her bag.

"Where are you going Krystal? You're not done with your food yet." Chanyeol said disappointedly.
"I think I'll really prefer eating all by myself. I can't stand the tension here." she answered and walked away. Chanyeol stopped eating too and followed her.
"Wait Krystal! Wait!" he called.

Victoria and Sulli both stared at Chanyeol and Sulli's retreating back. 

"I hate her." Victoria said through her gritted teeth. "She was the reason why Kai broke up with me." *And now she's taking Chanyeol away too*
"Hmm. I don't hate her, but I don't like her either." Sulli replied.
"Then we almost have mutual feelings my friend."

 

"Krystal!" thanks to Chanyeol's long legs, he was able to caught up with her in no time. "What tension are you talkning about earlier?" he asked blankly.

*You really have no idea don't you?* Krystal thought. "Never mind". she said and continued walking. Chanyeol racked his head frantically to remember if he did anything wrong to her. Unable to find an answer, he grabbed Krystal's hand again and a sudden inspiration lit up in his head.

"Come with me." he said. Krystal gave him a confused look but let herself be dragged by Chanyeol once again. The two of them entered the empty music class room where he and Sulli learned their lessosn with Ms. Song. He gently pushed Krystal on a stool and stood on the platform in front of her. He examined the musical instruments that were piled in front of him and picked his guitar.
"Do you still remember about our recognition day?" he asked.

Krystal waited.

"I have stage fright, that's why I wet myself on that time." he confessed embarrasedly.
*It's not a surprise* Krystal thought.
"And I'm really scared for our performance next week. You heard Ms. Gray earlier, she said that all of her music students should perform on the fifth day."
"So?" Krystal finally asked, because she has still no clue on why were they here.
"So..." his voice faltered. "So maybe, you can try and listen to my performance?" he asked uncertainly.
"Why would you want me to listen to your performance?" she asked again.
"Because, with you Krystal, I'm confident." he gave her a sweet smile that dazzled Krystal for a while. They looked into each other's eyes for a long time before Krystal broke the eye contact.
"Whatver." she grunted.

Chanyeol beamed on her and tuned the guitar. He strummed it a few times with shaking hands... *No Chanyeol, Krystal is in front of you, don't wet yourself again!* He cleared his throat nervously and glance shyly at her. She was waiting for his performance.

Chanyeol finished tuning and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and the first thing that came into his mind was Krystal's smiling face. His heart fluttered at that image and that made him smile too. He opened his eyes and looked directly into Krystal's dark eyes.  

*Maybe Ms. Nica was right Krystal. Maybe all this time I really loved you, not just some friendly love nor a huge crush. Yes my Krystal, I love you* he tried communicating those unspoken words through his eyes, and how badly he wished that Krystal can read it too.

[Now playing: CNBLUE - Love Light]

when i look at you my face gets red
when i see you my heart goes thump thump
i talk with shyness like a kid
when i look at you i just smile out of nowhere
like a fool I keep doing that
I think love came to me

You’re the president of my heart
You’re my chests’ star embroider
I’m Genie for you girl
You make me stop breathing
whatever you want
because i love you
There’s no reason for my love you know

you’re a darling
you’re more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky
the shining thing deep inside my heart
my own love light

i love you darling
give me light next to me whenever
every night i look at you

Krystal felt a huge rush of warmth throughout her whole body as she watched Chanyeol sing a song that she felt was dedicated only for her. The way Chanyeol smiled as he listened to the lyrics of the own song, made her think how happy he was singing it; the way Chanyeol gazed at her lovingly made her feel how much love and dedication he gave only for her. It was the first time she saw him perform, and it was the first time she felt selfish too for wanting not to let anyone see him perform.

Chanyeol was performing just for her.

And she wanted it to stay that way.

"Thank you Chanyeol." she said softly.

***

(1st day of intrams: Light Games)
-Sack race-

"Seriously?! We're high school students and we're still going to play these?? Are we middle schoolers?" Krystal complained loudly.
"Stop complaining Ms. Jung. Everyone, line up!" Ms. Go ordered. All freshmen lined up to four rows and remained standing while Ms. Go examined each and everyone of them. "Alright, who wants to join sack race?" 

*Definitely not me* Krystal told herself. Her thoughts might have floated in midair because what Ms.Go said next seemed like a response to her.

"Since you were the loudest complainer earlier Ms. Jung, then you will be one of our representatives." she said,
"What?!!" Krystal shouted increduously.
"Sack race is done by partners. Hmm... Ms. Choi, you partner with Ms. Jung." Ms. Go ordered.

That made Sulli's face contorted with incredulity too. She looked at Krystal unwillingly and pursed her lips.

"I can't belive that teacher!" she hissed.
"Do you want to change positions Sulli?" Chanyeol offered expectantly.
"Yeah right, and receive detention for myself? No thanks Chanyeol." she said.
"Alright, teams! On the field, now!" she ordered.

Krystal, Sulli, and six more students went down the bleachers and walked towards the large track and field of SM High. They stood in front of a large pole with a green flag on its top that represented the freshmen. A senior student handed everyone their sacks and ordered the players to set their feet inside together with their partners. Sulli and Krystal looked awkwardly at each other and did not know who will go in first. Sulli pushed the sack on her hand.

"You first." she said. Krystal raised her eyebow.
"Why don't you do it first?" 
"Fine!" Sulli said irritably. She shoved her feet inside the sack and left a space for Krystal to come in. "Well??" she waited.

Reluctantly, Krystal entered the sack too and moved away from Sulli as far as possible. The whistle started, and the first players started jumping together - seniors are leading.

There were cheers from the three teams and louder boos from them too. The first batch of sack racers on the senior team was done - now it was their second batch.

"Come on.. faster, faster!!" Sulli cried. Finally, their first batch of teammates was able to reach back to their them and passed the tag towards their second players. The second pair was fast, and they immediately caught up with the seniors...now the juniors were the losers. The second pair passed the tag on the third pair - which was fast too, and now the freshmen were leading from the three teams. The green team cheered happily as their team was now leading. Anytime soon and it will be Sulli and Krystal's turn. The two of them gripped the sack they're in and briefly glanced at each other... there was fire on both of their eyes and it looked like their competition was at each other not with the two remaining teams. The tag was passed on them and they immediately hopped up and down on different and simultaneous beat. Krystal desperately tugged the sack from Sulli and Sulli tripped, making Krystal trip too. There was a loud and disappointed "Ohhh!" from the freshmen and louder cheers from the opposing teams. Krystal and Sulli stood up embarrased and continued hopping without teamwork -- and with that, the freshmen placed 3rd on their first light game.

"Thanks to your clumsy self, we lose." Krystal snapped. Sulli scowled at her.

(2nd day of intrams: Sports games)
-Volleyball-

The first game was against the seniors and the juniors. The Juniors lose, and they went against the freshmen. The freshmen were consisted by Ms. Go's specially hand-picked students led by Krystal. The freshmen won, and now they came face to face to the seniors, whose team captain was Victoria.

Victoria smirked at Krystal before their game.

"Ready to trip again Krystal?" she asked.
"Be careful, you might just end up crying after we beat you." Krystal retorted.

The coach blew her whistle and Victoria gave Krystal a final glare before getting back to her position. The game started - served by Krystal herself. Her strong serve did the first score for their team and there was a loud cheer for the freshmen on the bleachers. The victory did not last though, because on Krystal's next serve, Victoria was able to receive it and spiked the ball that no one on Krystal's team was able to receive. As the game progressed, Sulli can't help but notice that Victoria seemed to be intentionally hitting Krystal with the ball. She knew it's bad to do this... but she can't help herself from giggling.

Sadly for the seniors though, because despite of Victoria's excellent playing, Krystal's team beat them by a score of 24-13. Krystal smirked at Victoria.

"I told youuu." Krystal sang wickedly and laughed.

-Basketball-

"Please Ma'am. Please tell me why am I here???" Chanyeol asked miserably. He was wearing a jersey, large shorts and sports shoes - and up until now, he was still uncertain of what to do.
"We're short of boys for basketball, and we can really use your height." Ms. Go replied.
"But I don't know how to play basketball!" Chanyeol argued.

Deep inside, Ms. Go was silently agrreeing to him. She had seen Chanyeol on the tryout (after her large persuasion and threats to him to enter it) and saw that the kid was a naturally-born disaster. However, freshmen boys were almost scarce in their team and she had no choice but to let Chanyeol play. Anyways, she did tutored him a few moves, but she doubted he will be able to remember that.

The freshmen team was against the senior team first. Kris towered over everyone and smiled at Chanyeol.

"Ayo wassup? We meet again." he said. "Ready to lose?" he asked.

Chanyeol looked like he was about to cry. "Yes." he answered. Kris's grin widened more. "Good. Because although we're friends now, I won't still go easy with you."

The game started, and predictably, it was Kris who caught the captain ball. He dribbled towards the opponent's basket. Chanyeol stopped in front of him and braced himself - he was not really sure what to do - and just like in de ja vu, he flung his arms wide, flapped it comically, and squatted his knees just like in patintero. Kris rolled his eyes.

"Don't tell me you're going to do the same trick again? I warn you...  Chanyeol, kiss me again and I swear I'll forget that the two of us are on good terms and I'll give you another hell." he threatened. He dribbled back and forth. Then he as fast as lightning, he turned around, put his foot outside the line, and shot three-points for their teams.

There was a loud groan on the freshmen - they felt that they don't want to watch anymore... especially with Chanyeol's horrible playing. In 10 minutes, he was out of the game, commiting travelling, a foul, a foul, and another foul. Even Sulli refused to watch.

(3rd day of intrams: Sports games)
-Track and field-

"Here's the simplest explanation for today's activity..." the emcee said over the chosen players in track and field. "This is an endurance test, and therefore, you are all here to be tested on how long can you stay running. The route you'll take is simple : from SM High's gate, around the SM High's buildings, to our foot ball field, and finally, around our track field here. Does everyone understand?"

30 representatives nodded. There were 10 players for each team - and the last person standing who will be able to reach the finish line first will win.

"On three! One...Two... Three!!" there was a loud Bang! and everyone started running. Chanyeol, who was the most unsporty man ever, was here again, and despite his athletic handicap, he was running with his teammates together with Krystal.

30 minutes passed by... and hour... soon, players dropped every now and then. It was a huge miracle that Chanyeol was still in there, and he never took his eyes off from Krystal. However, Krystal's back was slowly fading away from him....he was behind everyone, and he desperately wanted water. He slumped on the floor and panted heavily.... He really want to run with Krystal, but her speed and agility was no match in his, not to mention how much he in sports. He closed his eyes and tried to even his breathing. He felt that someone was towering over him. When he opened his eyes, Krystal's sweaty face welcomed him.

"Here, drink this." she said, giving him a bottle of water. Chanyeol stood up and drank the water immediately. Within five large gulps, he was done.
"Ahhh!! T-thanks ... Krystal!" he said.
"Right, come on, let's go. The finish line's not far from here." she urged.
"But.. I don't think I can still run Krystal." he said.

Krystal looked apprehensively at the road in front of them. She wanted to leave Chanyeol now and finished the game but she thought it would be best to stay here. What can she possibly do to run towards the goal and at the same time, bring Chanyeol with her?

A bright idea popped into Krystal's mind. She gazed amusingly at Chanyeol.

"Do you want your Krystal to ride on your back?" she asked.

Chanyeol's eyes popped out excitedly.

"You'll let me?!!!" 
"Yeah, but you have to catch up with those guys! Quick!"

Chanyeol hopped in front of her and offered his back.

"Let's go!!" he said, suddenly energized.

Krystal wrapped her arms around Chanyeol's neck and let Chanyeol carry her on piggy back. She did not know where Chanyeol got his strenght, but the boy who was panting heavily earlier was nowhere to be seen at the boy in front of her now. Chanyeol was using his long legs wisely. He was screaming while he tried to catch up with the remaining players... He caught up with one senior... and another senior... and a junior....

"Go!! Roll! Roll like a buffalo! We're almost there!" Krystal couldn't help shouting because of excitement.
"Roll?"
"I mean run!!" She buried her head on his neck and hid her giggle. She was actually having fun.
"I'm a buffaloooooo!!!!!!" Chanyeol screamed happily and he was able to outrun the last junior - passed through that thin and long white ribbon on the finish line.
"YES!!!!" Chanyeol collapsed on the ground with Krystal on his back, and the two of them gasped for air. They both stared at each other and smiled. Then they high-fived each other.
"Well done buffalo." Krystal said.

 

Kris frowned at he watched Krystal on Chanyeol's back. He felt jealous that he has the opportunity to be close to her like that while he, on the other hand, doesn't know how. When Chanyeol reached the finish line and the two of them collasped on the ground, he realized something else - Krystal was a different woman today.