Mission Impossible

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

Entry 20

A soft knock played on the Park residence's front door. Mrs. Park removed her apron and quickly get the door.

"Ah Sulli!" she smiled.

Sulli bowed her head respectfully.

"Have you been well auntie?" she asked.
"Yes, yes. I'm fine." she ushered Sulli inside the house and let her sit on the couch. "Have you eaten your lunch yet?"
"I already did auntie."
"Ok, well, Yeol's just upstairs." Mrs. Park said as casually as she could but Sulli noticed the bitterness from her voice. She nodded and went upstairs.

After a hearbeat's hesitation, Sulli knocked on Chanyeol's bedroom door. There was no response from inside... not that she was expecting that ayways.

"Chanyeol, it's me. Sulli." she said.

Still, no response.

"I'm going in." she stated. She turned the doorknob and looked around. She has to adjust her eyes for a few moments first so that it can grow accustomed in the dark. 

Everything in Chanyeol's bedroom was black. The curtains were tightly closed, the walls which was painted in cheery colors before were now painted clumsily in black, and even Chanyeol's bedsheet - Sulli was very sure - was black.

What happened to the bright Chanyeol she knew?

She went over the windows and parted the curtains apart. There was a sudden burst of light as sunshine gleamed through his windows. The light bored directly down at Chanyeol and he hissed, protecting his face with his covers.

"So who are you now, Edward Cullen?" Sulli asked coolly. She flumped down on the edge of his bed and pulled his covers. It revealed Chanyeol's skinny, but flawless legs. "And have you been eating huh? Do you want to die?" she scolded.

Chanyeol ignored her and rolled over. He doesn't want to think. He doesn't want to feel anything... but his stupid heart was betraying him, because he can never let go of Krystal's memory. Never.

How can he let go?

"Seriously Chanyeol, what's wrong with you?" Sulli felt stupid with her question. Of course she knew, everyone in SM High was talking about it. "You've been away for two weeks, I'm sure your Sir Duck Face is angry right now." she added.
"I don't care." Chanyeol grunted.
"Yeah? And you can lose your scholarship too if you failed your subjects."

Again, he did not respond. Sulli sighed frustratedly. Chanyeol was refusing to look at her.

"You're not going anywhere from this Chanyeol." she looked at her friend. "You're a mess."

Chanyeol grabbed his oversized pillow and covered his face with it. He felt dead. Weak. Cold. All he wants now is to be alone.

Sulli flipped her phone and dialed. There were a few rings and a slightly sharp voice answered.

"Hello Sulli?" Victoria asked.
"Hey..." she paused and glanced briefly at Chanyeol. "Are you busy?"
"No. Why?" she answered slowly.
"Come over here at Chanyeol's place."
"Why?" she asked again.
"Just go. I'll meet you in 30 minutes."
"What?! Wait I haven't put my makeup yet -!"

But Sulli already hung up. She stood from her seat and walked outside Chanyeol's room.

"Is he going to school now?" Mrs. Park whispered hopefully.

Sulli pursed her lips.

"We'll still try auntie, don't worry."

Mrs. Park nodded in understanding. "I can't believe Krystal did this to him." she said sadly.

Sulli looked away from Chanyeol's mom. She knew that her expression might just give in that she never liked Krystal from the very start.

"I'm starting to think he fell for the wrong person. But I thought that what they had was real... even for Krystal." Mrs. Park added. She shook her head in disapprovement and walked back to the kitchen.

Sulli settled herself on the couch while she waited for Victoria to arrive. After an hour, there was another knock to the door and this time, Sulli went over to pick it up.

"You're late." she grimaced.

Victoria rolled her eyes. "I told you I haven't done my makeup yet. Where's Chanyeol?"

Sulli nodded upstairs. They walked passed the kitchen and Victoria made her greetings first to Mrs. Park before following Sulli towards Chanyeol's bedroom.

The two of them walked together inside. The place was the same just like how Sulli left earlier, only the curtains were drawn again.

"Aish. You thick-headed carrot head." Sulli complained. She parted the curtains for the second time and let the sunshine pass through. Victoria switched on the lights and groaned. 

Now that there was enough light inside, they finally saw Chanyeol's face fully.

His red-orange curly hair was longer and stuck in every directions, making him look like a madman; his eyes were red and puffy; his nose was blotchy; and his lips were dry.

"When was the last time you took a bath?" Victoria demanded.

Sulli scrutinized Chanyeol. Then she tutted loudly.

"I think it's time for a make-over Chanyeol." she looked at Victoria and rounded her eyes meaningfully. Victoria understood quickly and nodded slowly.
"I get it. So that's why you need me." she said. Then , she clapped her hands together. "Alright Chanyeol! Time for change!" 
"What are you going to do?" he asked. His deep voice croaked, as if he did not use it for a long time.
"We'll let Krystal see what she has been missing." Victoria assured. "Now go!" she tugged Chanyeol's arm until he finally stood up.With the help of Sulli, they pushed him towards his bathroom.
"But I don't want to take a bath! Let go of me Sulli, Victoria!" he wailed.
"NO."

Then they slammed the bathroom door shut.

"If you don't come out within 20 minutes, Sulli and I will be in charge of bathing you!" Victoria threatened. Sulli mouthed a furious 'What?!!' to her but Victoria shushed her. "And I'm serious!" she added.

And so reluctantly, Chanyeol was forced to take his bath. After 20 minutes, he sulkily went outside the bathroom.

"Happy?" he grunted.
"Not quite." Victoria answered casually. She strode over his closet and shook her head disapprovingly. "You need to change your closet. Your taste of clothes are horrible."
"But that's the only thing I can afford." he reasoned.

Victoria bit her lip guiltily. "Then, Sulli and I will give you the largest present you'll ever have! A huge stack of shopping clothes, how about that?"

Sulli nodded and smiled at him encouragingly. However, Chanyeol never cracked a smile, and he just stared at his friends with expressionless eyes.

"You don't have to. I don't need new clothes."
"Too bad though." Sulli said. "Because no matter what you'll say, we're never going to leave our friend in a depressing state like this." and she tugged his arm, sprinting downstairs.

 

 

"Do you think this will suit him?" Sulli hold a white collared polo shirt in front of Victoria. She wrinkled her nose.
"Too common." then she picked different clothes from different racks. Sulli just followed her and let Victoria do the job. It was her thing after all. She looked over her shoulders and stared sadly at Chanyeol. He was staring off far from space, with a blank eyes she was never used on seeing from him.
"Here Chanyeol." Victoria held the large stack of clothes in front of him. "Try it all."

Chanyeol obliged without much interest. He just want to end this thing soon.

He tried different labeled shirts, colored pants, jeans, and sweaters. He let his outfits seen by Sulli and Victoria and they will clap happily in approvement. Then they forced him to wear one of the chosen clothes, and he just nodded without arguing.

Then they went on shoe stores and accesories, and to an optometrist.

"You need to ditch your eyeglasses too Chanyeol. So, we're giving you contacts." Victoria said.

Their last stop was the salon. 

"Do I really have to do this?" he asked them exasperated. He remembered back when he was still a kid, when Krystal complimented his curly hair. His heart constricted immediately as soon as Krystal's face popped in his head. Can he let go?
"Yes, you will." Victoria said sternly. She pushed him inside the salon and forced him to sit in front of the mirror. She studied his face first before turning on the hairstylist
"Hmm. Black. Cut his hair short, and you take care of the style." she told the hairstylist.

The woman nodded and proceeded with her work. Chanyeol closed his eyes and let her murder his hair.

 

"Done." the woman said happily.

Victoria and Sulli put the magazines down and looked ahead. Chanyeol stood from his seat and faced his friends... their jaws dropped instantly.

No long, red-orange curly hair anymore. Plus, no eyeglasses. No baggy shirts and old jeans. The man in front of them now was barely unrecognizable. Sulli stared, deeply dazzled by Chanyeol. She can feel her heart thumping furiously now, and she was so afraid that Victoria might just hear its beat.

Why did Krystal let go of this handsome and pure-hearted man?

Victoria smirked at Sulli's expression.

"I know, I did a great job. Thank you." she said cockily.

Chanyeol looked away awkwardly. Honestly, he appreciated his friends' efforts: their attempts to change him and let him forget Krystal.

They may have done a great job changing his physical features, but it will never enough to change his pained heart. The mission was impossible, and even if it was possible, it will probably take him a long time.

"Can we go home now?" he said, still in his dead tone. His voice made Sulli's smile falter.

Everything was perfect, except for his heart. She knew that she can never replace Krystal, but her heart was stupidly hoping right now.

 

*Can't you see Chanyeol? I'm just here. Always.*