First Day on SM High

Carrot-Head Chanyeol

 

Entry 1

Students around the gym were open-mouthed while they stared at us. I was lying on top of a blonde giant, with piercings highly visible in his ears. I call him Pierced Giant. We lay at the middle of the basketball court, staring wide-eyed, our lips touching each other's.

How did we came into this very awkward position?

Five hours ago...

"Are you a student here?" the lady guard asked me suspiciously. I nodded my head. I rummaged my bag then gave her my student I.D. She took it and studied it carefully. After making sure that my I.D was no fraud, she reluctantly opened the entrance gate for me.

I understand her reaction. SM High was a school for elites. This was where from my bright shade of red-orange curly hair to my worn-out sneakers were not welcome inside. AT ALL. Seeing a student wearing baggy jeans and simple orange shirt with a camera slung around his neck, and who was riding a bicycle for school was a very rare thing seen inside. I am nowhere near the elitists, but thanks to my little bit of talent in math, literature, physics, chemistry... well you name it all, I managed to enter here using a scholarship.

I pedaled around the vast parking lot, looking for an empty parking space. Unfortunately, almost all the spaces in here were filled by luxurious cars. Then, the bell rang inside.

"I'm late!!!" I shouted. I hurriedly squeezed my bike near a black Chevrolet Corvette. I heard a scrunching sound but I did not look back. I just dashed hurriedly inside the main building.

"My sched here says my Algebra class is on f(x) building, what a weird name." I continued to run, looking carefully at each doors I passed. There were no more students lingering on the corridors and I bet classes were already starting. Oh shoot, and this was my first day of school!

I decided to leave the main building and search the other buildings. There were at least five buildings in SM High in different colors. Finally, I turned around the corner and saw a pearl white periwinkle one which has a sign "f(x)" on its front door. I ran inside and searched for room number 5.

I stopped, gasping for breath. I attempted to lie my hair flat, which was a useless attempt I think, because my hair was just hopelessly stuck in all directions. Then I knocked quietly and pushed the door open.

Everyone inside turned to look at me, even my slightly-crossed eyed instructor with a large pouting mouth. My first impression in this man was a face of a duck, and so I'll call him Sir Duck Face.

"I'm sorry sir." I bowed my head and walked inside the room.

"And your name is...?" Sir Duck Face asked.

I stopped in my tracks and looked at him.

"Park Chanyeol, sir!" I answered energetically.

"Well Mr. Park, I have good news."

"Yes sir?" What would it be? I'm really excited!

"GET OUT!" he bellowed. I jumped back, surprised.

 

I made my way back to the front door and went outside. But before I close the door behind me, I caught a glimpse of a dazzling girl in a red top, shining accessories and a beautiful hair that fell on her waist. Krystal. And she was looking at me.

"Out Mr. Park!" Sir Duck Face shouted again.

Reluctantly, I closed the door shut. "If only I came earlier!"

I peered on the windows of our classroom and looked around. When I saw her, I turned my camera on and snapped a photo of Krystal. I chuckled amusedly. She was yawning on the photo, just like what she always did when we were on grade school. I took a few more shots and she never failed to capture my heart. How I wish my camera has that power to do that too.

I waited for two more hours until their class ended. The first man I saw was Sir Duck Face, and he glared at me.

"That was a warning Mr. Park. One more late and you're in detention." he warned.

I nodded absent-mindedly, for my head was focused on my classmates who were filing outside the room by group. Then I spotted Krystal, all by herself.

"Hi Krystal!" I waved at her. She looked at me through those cold, black eyes then turned away from me. She walked with a superior aura with her, ignoring the gluey stares of guys and envious stares of girls at her.

"Where's your next class Krystal? Mine is music, but I don't know where. Do you want me to help you find your building? I --"

Krystal stopped walking and looked at me fiercely.

"Will shut your mouth?!" she snapped. "And stop talking like we knew each other. We're not even close." she looked at me from head to toe and clicked her tounge.

"But we knew each other. We were on the same grade and middle school..."

"Oh wait. Are you that kid who wet himself on recognition day?" she asked loud enough for everyone in the vicinity to hear. Everyone stopped talking and looked at us.

I blushed as I remembered that awful day. Recognition day back in middle school was the most embarassing day in my life. As an answer to her humiliating question, I nodded my head timidly.

"Now I remember." she smirked and turned away from me again.

"Krystal!" I looked around and saw two girls running towards us.

The first one was blonde and chubby, the second was was boyish-looking. They stopped in front of us without sparing a glance at me.

"Amber and I have been looking for you for ages. Where have you been? Oh never mind, Look!" she excitedly pointed to her heels. "Jimmy Choo's latest 2013 collection! My father bought it last week!"

Krystal looked coldly at her friend's heels. Then she smirked.

"Oh I'm sorry Luna, but I had that for like, a month ago. My sister Jess pre-ordered it for me straight from U.S., but it was out of fashion already and now it's stuck in my closet. If you told me that you want one, I can just donate them to you, then you can save the trouble of buying it." she gave her a fake smile. "Let's go?"

Poor Luna. She looked pissed from what Krystal said. But Krystal was really like that. She changed into an unknowable person when we were in middle school and  I still don't know why.

"Bye Krystal!" I waved at her as they walked away. Then I searched for my music class at Shinee building. I went outside f(x) and saw a pearlescent sky blue building in front of it. Wow. SM High was really colorful!

I bumped into someone as I opened our classroom door. She was a kind-faced girl with big curls and she was holding a violin case. Okay. I'm going to call her Big Curls.

"After you." I opened the door for her and she smiled. We took our seats together.

After a few minutes, our instructor came in. She was in her middle-age, with some gray in her hair, but nevertheless, she still looked beautiful. I'm going to call her... Uhh, Ms. Gray.

"Good morning freshmen! I'm Ms. Song, and I'll be your music instructor for the whole year." she smiled at us.

"Good morning Ms. Song." we chorused. But I'll still call her Ms. Gray.

"Since this is our first class, I decided to make one of my students here perform. She is the daughter of the great violinist, Edward Choi, and singer Sena Choi. Ms. Choi?" Ms. Gray inclined her head towards the girl beside me. 

Big Curls stood up and bowed in front of us.

"My name is Choi Sulli, it's nice to meet you all." she said kindly. "I'm going to play you a song everyone knows. Ave Maria."

She put the violin on her shoulders. After a quick pause, she started playing.

Wow. This girl was a natural. I wish she keeps on playing and playing, because she definitely caught my attention.

Then after four, short minutes, the song stopped, and I was the one who clapped the loudest, and even gave her a standing ovation.

"Bravo! Bravo!" I cried.

Big Curls looked at me amusedly while Ms. Gray chuckled at my reaction.

"Okay, calm down now. Thank you Ms. Choi for that wonderful performance. You may take your seat."

Big Curls bowed and sat beside me again. We beamed at each other.

Ms. Gray started her lecture, while I jotted down notes, just like what a nerd man does. After another two hours, we were dismissed. My classmates divided into their own peers and no one dared to ask me to join their group. Sad, but I was used to it.

"Hey," there was a light tap on my shoulder and I looked around. Big Curls was smiling at me. "Lunch?"

My heart was over-whelmed to see someone asking me to have lunch together. That's it. I'm going to call her by her name now.

"Thanks. Sulli right?"

***

After an hour of lunch, Sulli and I separated ways. She said she has her Literature class and I have, unfortunately, my P.E.

I was never an athletic person. My passion was photography and music, but never this. I changed my uniform and entered the gym, thanks to Sulli's direction.

It was a large, square gym surrounded by bleachers. It was divided into two courts; the first one was for basketball, and the other one was for volleyball. My volleyball was P.E and so I made my way towards the right side of the gym. Then my eyes brightened.

Krystal was standing at the middle of the volleyball court. Her waist-length hair was now pulled into a high ponytail, exposing her alluring and flawless neck. I ran towards the volleyball court and turned my camera on again. Then I snapped pictures of her in every direction. I have one spiking her the ball; her serving the ball; her blowing her bangs; and her glaring at my camera.

"Who's that Krystal? Is her your fan?" someone smirked from behind.

Krystal rolled her eyes and continued playing. Then our instructor came in. She was a burly woman, too muscular for a girl. Ms. Muscles.

Everyone stopped whatever they are doing, including me and greeted her.

There was a brief introduction, then she divided us into groups.

"Ok. I don't know if everyone in here knows how to play volleyball, so I will assess you first. First two teams to play, group 1 and 2. Inside the court, now." she ordered.

The first two groups entered the court, and Krystal was one of them. 

"You can do it Krystal!" I cheered for her loudly. Krystal winced and she looked irritated, but I don't mind.

The game started. Krystal was the first server. The ball flew hard towards the other side of the net and no one was able to catch it. Then she served again. And again. And again. That's how good Krystal was. She was a pure athlete.

At one point her serve was recieved by the opponent but it was too far and it went out of the line. The ball rolled until it ouched my feet and I picked it up.

"Here Krystal, caaaatchhhh!!" I threw the ball hard with my really long arms. Krystal didn't raise her hands, but she eyed it curiously. The ball flew above my classmates's heads, and it slammed on one of the basketball players who were playing on the court.

The whole gymnasium tensed as everyone looked at the man I accidentally hit. He turned around slowly, his piercing eyes looked dangerously around.

"Who threw the ball?" he hissed.

No one answered.

"I said WHO THREW THE BALL?!" he bellowed.

My classmates immediately pointed their fingers at me and I gulped. Now everyone was staring at me.

The giant man with piercings in his ears smiled malevolently.

"Come here." he ordered. I slowly walked towards him and stopped in front of him.

He really was a giant. My height was 185 cm., but this man towered over me. Plus, he's more muscular compared to my thin limbs and arms.

"Tao, pass the ball." he ordered to someone. A man who looked like a panda passed the ball to the Pierced Giant. Then he dribbled it. 

"Let's play a game. If you were able to get the ball from me, I'll let this incident pass. If not..." he grinned evily. "You're dead."

"Now hold on here Mr. Kris Wu -"

"Shut up Missy! You want to lose your job?" the Pierced Giant threatened our instructor.

Ms. Muscles, looked away, her muscular body useless towards this man in front of me. Why???

"But I don't know how to play basketball." I reasoned, which was true. I never touched a ball. I was never an athletic type. And I am clumsy.

"Then that's not my problem anymore."

Pierced Giant dribbled the ball faster. I opened my arms and squatted, then I awkwardly stepped from my left to right. Everyone laughed at my silly stunt. Then I made a clumsy swing from his right and he dribbled the ball to his left. Defeated, I decided to go for the unconventional.

I launched myself in front of him, grabbing his waist while I desperately reached for the ball. He leered at me then Pierced Giant raised his left arm, holding the ball with his large palm. I raised my arms too and reached for the ball. I stepped on his foot and he lost his balance... and I lost my balance too...

 

And now we were in this awkward position.

I pushed myself up and stood up. Everyone looked like they wanted to laugh but was afraid to do so. Pierced Giant glared at me furiously.

"Y-you..." he struggled for words to say.

I myself don't know what to say. I looked back, and saw that Krystal was gaping at me like she couldn't believe her eyes.

That was another embarrassing moment. Why does it always has to happen when Krystal was around.

Pierced Giant curled his fist. He raised his arms and I waited for him to hit me-

RIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!

The loud bell signaled our class dismissal. I sighed in relief and ran outside the gym. There was only one thought in my mind right now...

I went inside the rest room and rubbed my lips furiously. I'm disgusted with myself!

Realizing that I have another class to attend, I grabbed my bag on the counter and went for my Literature class.


The day ended slowly. Well, slowly for me because I'm really waiting for our dismissal time. I badly want to go home now.

At last the day ended. I searched for Krystal first but I did not see her, and so I decided to just go home. I went outside the main building and walked towards the parking lot. My bike was surrounded by men.

"When I see that person who did this..." someone threatened.

I literally froze. I knew who that person was. I gulped nervously and bowed my head, trying to conceal my face... which was useless too.

I felt these men's eyes boring into mine. I immediately picked my bike but someone grasped my shoulder.

It was Pierced Giant and his piercing eyes.

"This thing yours?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well would you look at that? First, you hit me with a ball, and now you scratched my car."

I looked at the black Chevrolet Corvette and bulged my eyes. It was really scratched. I gulped.

"Sorry." I grunted.

Pierced Giant grabbed my collar and yanked me away from my bike. He slammed me on the wall and hissed,

"No one messes with SM High director's so, Kris Wu." he raised his fists for the second time this day. 

I await my judgement.

"Kris!" someone warned. 

We looked around. Krystal and her friends were walking towards us. She stopped at the sight of Kris almost punching my face then she snorted.

"I never thought that the parking lot is the newest boxing ring." she said coldly.

Kris released me and looked at her.

"And who the hella are you?"

"None of your business." she said indifferently. Krystal and her friends continued to walk towards her silver Porsche 911. Her friend Luna winked at Pierced Giant then they went off.

Pierced Giant rounded on me.

"You're lucky that chic came, but next time, I'll beat you into a pulp." he pushed me roughly then he entered his car, his friends on his heels. Seconds later, they were gone too.

I sighed in relief. "I thought I was dead."

I rode my bike and pedaled my way home. Thank Lord it was just 15 minutes from SM High. I went straight to my room and threw myself on the bed.

This was my worst first day of school.

I opened my drawer and picked a notebook with a crystal drawn on it. Then I wrote.

 

Dear Krystal:

I longed for the day that our lips will finally meet, but sadly, my dream ended today. My first kiss was a man. TT___TT Pierced Giant was really something, don't you think? Thank you for saving me from here earlier at the parking lot. You always do this to me. Stay safe, my dear Krystal.

Yeollie.