Together ft. Tao

⌛ MQ- EXO Oneshot Collection ⌛

Posted on : 29th October 2013.
Word Count : 1808 words

A/N : So my hiatus is over! Hoorah! I can finally write all the oneshot requests that's been piling up for ages now. Sorry guys! But I'm trying my best! This oneshot just came unexpectedly and this is like a pre-Halloween oneshot ;) Featuring Tao! <3 Enjoy!


"Babe! I've got it!" He hollered as he entered the apartment after struggling to get the door open. He smirked triumphally as he set the four large pumpkins he bought onto the floor by the living room coffee table after kicking the door shut with his right leg. He thought he was going to die just carrying this up but it was going to be worth it.

 

For her, anything was worth it.

 

It was nearing Halloween and since his girlfriend works part time at an orphanage, he thought it would be fun to carve some pumpkins with her and use it as decorations in the orphanage. She came out of the bedroom that they shared and her jaw dropped when she saw four large pumpkins on the floor. Her eyes widened as she eyed her boyfriend weirdly from a distance but his face was filled with complete excitement and joy.
 
"Tada!" He chimed proudly with his arms spreaded out as he pointed at the pumpkins but the spark in his eyes faded away when she frowned a little. His smile slowly turned upside down as she walked towards him and stopped when she stood in front of him with her arms crossed in front of her chest.
 
"Baby... What's wrong?"
 
She looked down on the pumpkins on the floor and sighed inwardly. He spent unnecessarily again.
 
She told him to buy only one but... four?
 
"How many pumpkins are we carving?" She asked carefully, attempting to hide her tone from him but she was actually fine with it. Although it was nice to carve pumpkins but why would he buy four when she had only requested for one? He bit his lower lip in guilt and looked down on the pumpkins. Yes he remembered that she requested for one only but he couldn't help himself to buy more to spend more quality time with her. The more pumpkins he bought, the longer they would be able to bond like this.
 
Right?
 
Ever since she worked part time at the orphange, her attention went to the kids more. Of course he couldn't complain, he loved kids too but - she is the only person he'll never share with. That perspective changed when he saw how she made the kids happy, considering she was an orphan. She understood the pain of not having parents very well and she wanted the best for the children.
 
"W-Well... I saw that they had plenty good ones so I thought that I should get more..." He muttered quietly and she stepped forward to reduce the gap between them further, placing her hands on his shoulders and he quickly turned his head to avoid her gaze. She could see through him that he did not buy four just because there were good ones. In that case, whenever they go shopping, shall he buy plenty of shoes for her because there were many good ones? Definitely not - she wouldn't allow that either. It was irrational.
 
So was this excuse.
 
"Alright Mr. Nicepants. Tell me the real reason why you bought four." She tried not to laugh when his cheeks were coated with a light shade of pink as he faced forward and blinked at her.
 
"I don't know what you mean." He feigned innocence and she pulled away with a slight pout. Instead of questioning further, she bent down to pick one up and his eyes shot open wider.
 
"What are you doing?" He couldn't hide how worried he sounded and he mentally slapped himself.
 
"Since you're not answering, I'm taking this back to the market to-"
 
"Alright alright! I'll tell you!" He blurted out almost too quickly but she held onto the pumpkin, waiting.
 
"Well...?" She dragged her word, urging him to go on. He gently took the pumpkin from her hands and brushed past her to sit on the sofa with a visible frown.
 
"I just wanted to spend more quality time with you, alright?"
 
She gulped and turned around cautiously, raising an eyebrow. Now she was confused.
 
"What do you mean? We live with each other, Tao."
 
He sighed and stared at the pumpkin as he fiddled with the top of the pumpkin. "Yeah, but all your attention is for the kids. There's no more time for me anymore." He hated how he sounded so sulky, weak and 'unmanly' but he really does miss the attention he gets from his girlfriend. They minimized the amount of dates they went on, the amount of hours just sitting around doing nothing with nonchalant talks and jokes, the random drives around the city as they stopped by anywhere to create wonderful spontaneous memories - he missed it all.
 
He respects her decision of working part time at an orphanage, giving her time to the children with no parents but he wants her love too, she was his afterall.
 
"Tao..." She called him out softly as she kneeled down in front of him, removing the pumpkin from his hands to place it aside on the floor. She spreaded his legs further so she could fit in between as she held onto his hands.
 
"Tao, look at me." She requested politely and as much as he didn't want to, he lifted his chin to see her warm smile. That smile that managed to warm him inside out, especially his heart.
 
"I've noticed the way you've been feeling ever since I offered to work at the orphanage. I know its not causing you trouble but its not putting a smile on your face either. I understand how you fe-"
 
"No. You don't." He cut her off unintentionally but bit his lower lip when he realized what he had just said. "I... I mean-"
 
"I do know... how you feel." Her voice had this tinge of sadness that he could sense. He felt guilty, again.
 
"I know how it feels like to not get the attention from the person we love, Tao. I'm really sorry I've neglected you but all I'm trying to do is... give these kids the attention I wished I could've gotten from my parents. I just wanted them to be happy."
 
He was left speechless and he couldn't utter a single word. How was he supposed to tell her to stop whatever she's doing especially when all she wanted for was happiness for others?
 
Happiness for kids who couldn't get love.
 
She... was truly an angel he loved.
 
How had he been so selfish this while?
 
All he thought about was himself and he felt extremely guilty for that.
 
Seeing his girlfriend explain this to him, was like receiving a big slap across his face for acting this way.
 
She cupped his cheeks worriedly when he didn't say anything. Was he mad? Was he angry? She wanted him to be happy too.
 
"I'll quit working at the orphanage... Will that make you happy?" She offered wholeheartedly. If she had to choose between the children and her love for him, she would choose the latter.
 
I guess... Luna will do fine without me...
 
He simply brushed her hands away from his face and stood up. He pulled her up by her waist and said, "Follow me. Take the pumpkins."
 
Confused and not daring to question, she simply followed orders and carried two pumpkins in her hands as he carried the other two.
 
Within ten minutes, they arrived at the orphanage and she furrowed her eyebrows. What were they doing here? Its her day off.
 
He stepped down from the car and walked around his car to open the door for her. They carried the pumpkins and once they reached in, all the kids ran towards them as they grinned from ear to ear.
 
"Noona!"
 
"Hyung!"
 
"Oppa!"
 
"Unnie!"
 
All the kids were glad and happy that they were here. They loved company, the more the merrier.
 
"Jae! What are you doing here? Today is your day off." Luna questioned confusingly and Jae was in the same position as her, clueless and confused. Jae placed the pumpkins down and Tao did the same.
 
"Alright kids. There are twenty of you and four pumpkins here. Five of you shall help to carve one pumpkin." Tao announced loudly and all the kids cheered softly, they have never carved pumpkins before. This was definitely a great time to have a try.
 
"The nicest pumpkin will get a gift from Uncle Tao! Hurry and get carving!" 
 
In a heartbeat, the children settled down in groups of five with the help of Tao and Luna. Tao had supplied the carving tools he brought in his car that was supposingly for him and Jae but this was much better. During it all, Jae stood by the door as she was flabbergasted with her boyfriend's actions. When a few other assistants came to help Luna with the kids, Tao stepped away and came to his girlfriend to give her an explanation. He held her by her waist and gave a light kiss on her lips before he smiled lovingly at her. The man who was whining about not getting any attention from her a moment ago, had vanished.
 
"T-Tao... What...?"
 
"I've been acting stupid lately and I should understand why you're working at an orphanage. I've been thinking all about how I would feel but never to how you would feel and... I'm sorry."
 
She gulped and she tried to object. To her, it was alright for him to feel that way. If she were to be in his shoes, she would probably feel the same too. Not being quick enough, she didn't get her say in anything when he cut her off, finishing off what he had to say.
 
"So from now on, instead of questioning why you can't make time for me and feel bad about it, I'll work part time here with you. That way, we can make the kids happy - together."
 
He then cupped her cheeks and nuzzled the tips of their noses together. "We can be happier that way too." He whispered on her lips and she smiled gratefully, this is why she loves him.
 
He was willing to comprimise with just anything. Just for her.
 
"Thank you..." Her voice was soft but it echoed into his ears. All of a sudden, it was so quiet around them as eyes were all on them.
 
Tao turned his body slightly as Jae looked over him to see that all the kids were giggling and grinning at them.
 
"Kiss!" All the kids chimed in unity along with Luna and a few other assistants. Laughing inwardly, Tao faced her again as he gripped onto her waist this time, pulling her body close to his. "With pleasure." Tao whispered softly before he dipped down to increase the amount of squeals and cheers in the room when his lips gently pressed against hers.