The Masked-Man

Lost and Found

 

“Noona!” Taemin shouted happily, “I had the best day on the first day of school today! How about you?” Yoona and Minho sighed.

“I wasn’t elected to be captain on the basketball team even though I’m such a good player!” Minho complained.

“I have the feeling that you should stay away from Sulli. You know how my feelings are usually right, hm?” Yoona said strictly. Taemin pouted.

“Seriously? Gosh, I was invited to Sulli’s birthday party. I even accepted the invitation!” Taemin whined. Yoona shrugged.

“Well, that was your fault for not checking with me. Changing the subject, what happened to your lunch I packed you?” Yoona asked. Taemin looked around, pretending to ignore her. 

 

Flash Back:

“Wah! Noona packed me bab and kimchi! How about you?” Taemin asked, turning to his friend Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun pulled out his meal from a single lunch bag.

“Sandwich. I think there’s macaroni in there,” Kyuhyun said, removing the bread that was no the top. Sure enough, there were lettuce, macaroni, melted cheese, and ham. Taemin acted as if he was about to through up.

“Ugh… that’s disgusting! Did your mom pack it?” Taemin asked.

“Of course not! I did! It’s a work of a genius, Taemin,” Kyuhyun smirked, biting into the sandwich. Taemin tossed Kyuhyun a disgusted look.

“Aw, your disgusting man!” Taemin complained, laughing as he ate his small lunch that Yoona made. 

“Oh my gosh, what are you eating?” Krystal asked. 

“A sandwich with melted cheese, ham, lettuce, and macaroni. Why?” Kyuhyun asked, tossing Krystal a glare. Krystal coldly glared back.

“Ew!” Krystal spat, shuddering.

“Sulli, what did you eat?” Taemin asked cutely. Sulli blushed, until Jessica stepped up.

“Sulli wouldn’t want to talk to someone like you,” Luna snapped. Taemin widened his eyes, shocked. He wondered what the two were talking abut. Didn’t Taemin and Sulli casually talk to each other during Nutrition? Sulli looked down, embarrassed. She wanted to tell Taemin that they were just her friends and she just had to act mature, but then because her friends were near her, there was no way to tell Taemin such a thing.

“Why?” Taemin asked, pouting. Sulli blushed harder. ‘Gosh, this is so hard!’ Sulli thought, biting her lower lips.

“Because you act innocent, cute, and immature. While Sulli here is totally different! She’s mature, straight-forward, and responsible. There is no way that you two can get together and be friends. Sulli likes mature men, right?” Krystal spoke, turning to Sulli. Sulli bit her bottom lips even harder than before.

“Y-Yeah, I like mature men. I consider you as my minion only,” Sulli lied. Even though it was a lie, she sounded like she was serious. There was Sulli, a very good actor and liar. Taemin’s heart crushed and crumbled into little pieces.

“Oh,” Taemin said, slowly eating his meal.

“Yeah, you really don’t have a good chance being with Sulli,” Luna said, yawning with boredom, “She likes rich people, too. So if you want a chance to be with Sulli, dress better and bring more… expensive stuff.” Krystal and Luna turned around and laughed bitterly, as Sulli worriedly stared at Taemin.

“Um… Taemin-ah–”

“You should go,” Taemin said, “Your friends will be waiting for you.” Sulli perked up and blushed naturally.

“O-Oh yeah! You’re right!” Sulli stuttered, turning around. She started to walk away, not looking back once to see if Taemin was okay. She stopped for a moment, and cupped her hands around , “Taemin! You’re invited to my birthday party! I’ll slip a card in your locker so you know the information! Please come!” Taemin immediately smiled happily and joyfully.

“Sure!” Taemin agreed.

“Aish… those girls are totally jerks,” Kyuhyun snorted, “Don’t let their words get into your mind.” Taemin did not reply. Instead, he got up, threw all his lunch away, and sat back down next to Kyuhyun. Taemin’s best friend widened his eyes.

“Taemin…”

“Forget it! It’s not like Noona is going to know, right?” Taemin laughed, watching Kyuhyun eat his lunch. 

Flashback Ended

 

“Um, Kyuhyun threw it away. He insisted that I should try his lunch,” Taemin lied, rubbing his nape.

“Oh! I see! You know, his lunch is really good, even though it’s unique,” Minho smiled, laughing. Yoona and Taemin shared disgusted glances. Yoona turned to Minho and playfully slapped his arm. Minho’s eyes rounded.

“What was that for?” Minho asked, shocked.

“For being disgusting! Ugh, Minho, I can’t believe you actually ate Kyuhyun’s lunch! And you too, Taemin! If Kyuhyun forced you to do such a thing, you shouldn’t be his friend!” Yoona scolded.

“Neh, Umma,” Taemin and Minho teased Yoona, who turned red in embarrassment.  The two boys would call Yoona their ‘umma’ since she was always like the mom of the three. She took care of them, cooked for them, and watched over them. Just like a mother would. Minho smiled softly at Yoona. Suddenly…

“AH!” Yoona yelped, bumping into someone. The person Yoona crashed into groaned impatiently. Yoona winced when Minho tried to help Yoona up. He widened his eyes in surprised. Yoona had scrapped her knee.

“Ya!” Minho shouted, turning to the stranger. Taemin helped his sister get up, as the newcomer got up himself.

“What?” the man groaned. He was wearing a mask, but his voice was quite familiar. However, none of the three knew who this knew mysterious person was.

“Apologize to this lady, now!” Minho yelled angrily. The masked-person sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Fine! I’ll say, ‘sorry’ to your girlfriend,” the masked-man grumbled. Yoona and Minho blushed at the same time. It wasn’t like Minho liked Yoona or anything. Of course, Minho and Yoona liked each other as in a brother-and-sister relationship. It was just that so many people mistaken the two for being a couple, they were used to it. So used to it, they occasionally thought that they were a true couple.

“S-She’s not my girlfriend,” Minho stuttered, trying to be brave. Luckily, Yoona, Taemin, nor the masked-man heard Minho’s stuttering. Surprisingly, Minho reached towards the man’s face. “Actually, since you were teasing about me and my friend here, let me remove this mask and…”

“NO!” the masked-man shouted, swatting Minho’s hand away. Minho widened his eyes. “Sorry, sorry, whatever! Okay? Let me–”

“Lee Donghae!” a deep voice shouted. The masked-man gulped and quickly got up. Right when the masked-man was going to run, Yoona blocked him. The masked-man hesitated for a second, unsure of what to do. I should just push her away, the masked-man thought, staring directly into Yoona’s eyes. Whoever stared into Donghae’s eyes, they would freeze in fright. His eyes were warm and brown, but yet cold and icy, too. Yoona smirked.

“If you think a single glare can scare me away or anything, you’re wrong! I can see through those pairs of cold eyes,” Yoona said bravely, spreading her arms wide open. Minho pulled on the masked-man’s hood. He choked. 

“Lee Donghae, stop right there! Don’t even think about running!” the man shouted. Taemin, Minho, and Yoona looked up to face the running, angry man. He was tall and handsome, yet his eyes just like the masked-man’s eye– cold, furious, and scary. The man caught his breath when he approached at the four.

“T-Thank you,” the man panted, reaching forward to pull of the masked-man’s mask, “I would have never caught him if you guys didn’t come along. I thank you, gratefully.”

“No problem, sir!” Minho saluted, smiling proudly. The newcomer harshly removed the mask from the masked-man’s face. Yoona gasped when she saw the face behind the masked-man. So it’s really…

“Donghae-ssi,” Yoona whispered quietly. Minho and Taemin raised an eyebrow and studied Donghae’s angry face. Donghae hissed loudly, lowering his head. The man raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, you know my son?” the man asked. Yoona widened her eyes.

“S-Son? So Donghae’s your…”

“Donghae, this is your dad?” Taemin interrupted, pointing at Mr. Lee. Mr. Lee scowled.

“Pointing is rude, young one. Never point at an elder like me,” Mr. Lee scolded.

“But I already did,” Taemin pointed out. Mr. Lee scowled again. He’s just like that little pest 15 years ago. That pest who kept pointing out what he did when we tried to correct him. That pest who had a step sister and continued to nag her, which got pretty annoying to the rest of us. That pest… That pest named Lee Taemin, Mr. Lee thought, gritting his teeth.

“Um, sir, are you okay?” Yoona asked worriedly. Mr. Lee shook the thought out of his head. He cleared his throat, nodding.

“Yes, I am. Well, I thank you again for helping me stop this boy of mine. He likes to… run away frequently. May I invite you to my house for some tea?” Mr. Lee offered calmly. Yoona, Taemin, and Minho beamed with delight.

“We’d love to!” the three cheered happily. Mr. Lee smiled satisfyingly as Donghae scowled. What? Why are those three coming to our house? They have no reason to come to our house! Gah! Donghae thought angrily. He looked up, studying Minho, Taemin, and then…

Yoona. Donghae was only able to glance at Yoona for a few second until Yoona turned her head. He gasped and looked back down, his cheeks pumping with hot, lava red blood. He knew that Yoona wasn’t looking at his way, but he just suddenly shocked. His heart started pumping, and he could hear his heart beating. Normally, that would only be because he was exercising–

Yeah, exercising, Donghae thought, My heart is just pumping this way because I ran too much. My cheeks are probably red because I ran a lot. But… no, that’s impossible! I only made it 5 blocks from my house! No, actually, it’s possible. 

“Ehm,” Mr. Lee started, clearing his throat, “I assume that Donghae will lead you to our house?” Mr. Lee glanced at Donghae with piercing eyes just like a hawk. Donghae gulped and nodded obediently.

“Neh, Abeoji,” Donghae agreed, walking back to his house. If those three weren’t following him, he would’ve ran away by now. Though, his dad was behind him, so he couldn’t do anything about it. Yoona exchanged worried glances with Taemin. That sudden feeling of staying away from Donghae came back again. Taemin noticed how worried his sister looked and just simply smiled.

  “Don’t worry, Noona!” Taemin whispered, “It’s only tea. It’s not going to hurt us or anything, is it?” Yoona nodded slowly, feeling a bit better.

“Yeah, you’re right, Taemin-ah. Let’s go enjoy this time. Besides, it’s not like we always have time to drink tea, right?”