7

The 인피니트 Series - 내꺼하자 [hiatus]

Sunggyu’s P.O.V.

“It all began on a cold, winter’s night…” I began telling my story.

 

Suddenly, Sungyeol interrupted my story, “That’s not how it began hyung. It’s more like you’re telling us a fairytale.”

 

“Yah! Are you the one doing the talking?” I pointed out.

 

He remained silent as I continued, “So as I was saying… erm… where did I stop?”

 

“Hyung you’re really a grandfather you know that?” Sungyeol teased.

 

“Yah! Don’t make me-” and I threatened to flick his forehead before Sungjong stopped me.

 

“Hyung you left off at cold, winter’s night.” He reminded me.

 

“Gomawo Sungjong-ah!” I thanked and ruffled his hair.

 

“Hyung…” he whined and rearranged his hair back in place.

 

“Okay so as I was saying…” and I looked at Sungjong for help once again.

 

That’s when Sungyeol screamed out loud, “Oh for heaven’s sake! Can you just tell him I used to be your student?”

 

The words that came out from Sungyeol’s mouth caught them by surprise, “Jinjja?” Oh well, I thought, I guess it’s time to reveal how we met way back then.

Flashback

I was a junior teacher back then, filling in for the post due to a shortage of teachers. Most teachers have decided to transfer to teach other courses like electronics and engineering due to a surge in demand for workers to fill up positions in Samsung and LG. I was getting nervous when the principal assured me that I used to be an outstanding student from this school and that I should always come back to help my alma mater. I had a passion in applied music and it was my dream to become a world star, not a music teacher. But it didn’t matter hinder my dreams whatsoever, I still loved applied music.

 

And so I began my teaching career. My first class was a small one, or rather only two people, Sungyeol and ‘that kid’. For the first year, we had an enjoyable time, laughing and smiling at each other but we still held on tightly to our dreams. And then came the sudden change of events the following year, I did not know whether it transformed things for better or for worse, because it happened on different people. Sungyeol found himself a girlfriend, whom we all know as Namjoo, but ‘that kid’ and his character had spiraled downwards. ‘That kid’ stopped talking to anyone and every lesson; he would enter with heavy eye bags.

 

Sungyeol and I were trying to make things better for him but he wouldn’t say anything except for a few greetings like mianhae and gomawo. As they proceeded on to their third year, another teacher took over and I asked Sungyeol to keep a lookout for ‘that kid’. But he probably didn’t have enough time to juggle between his girlfriend, restaurant and schoolwork. I too, couldn’t help since I have to coach Sungjong. ‘That kid’ is probably trying to tire himself out, one day he would collapse from exhaustion. Hopefully, someday he would tell us what happened…

 

End of flashback

End of Sunggyu’s P.O.V.

Sungjong’s P.O.V.

“Ah… so that’s what happened.” I nodded my head understandingly.

 

Sunggyu hyung then asked in return, “So why were you fuming mad when you stormed into the restaurant?”

 

I was caught back in surprise for a moment, “Ah… erm… it’s… ah… erm…”

 

Sunggyu hyung pressed further, “It’s what? Can you stop stuttering and speak properly?”

 

I opened my mouth to answer but the same few words came out, “Ah… erm… it’s…” I then looked to Hayoung for help.

 

To which she quickly responded, “It’s nothing oppa. Everything’s fine.”

 

I quickly caught on and said, “Ah what she just said.” And smiled widely.

 

Sungyeol hyung then added, “Well if it’s nothing then let the king’s feast begin!” Dinner was then eaten merrily; there was a wide range of delicacies, ranging from foie gras to fondue. I tried to count the number of courses served but lost count midway. Aish… this Sungyeol hyung really knows how to pamper his customers.

 

After popping the last stick of fondue into my mouth, I exclaimed, “Whoa! Hyung that was some dinner!” and rubbed my stomach in exaggeration, or maybe not.

 

“Was it delicious?” Sungyeol hyung inquired.

 

“Of course! Where did you learn to cook all of these dishes?” I shouted.

 

“Oh… we made them straight out from a cookbook.” Namjoo answered.

 

Each and every person present, except for Sungyeol and Namjoo, yelled “Bwoh!” There was a moment of silence as we looked to each other in astonishment before laughing at our stupid act. Ah… what a fun time we had that night. Somehow, I wished time didn’t fly by so quickly…