14

The 인피니트 Series - 내꺼하자 [hiatus]

“What’s with that disappointed look on your face?” Sunggyu questioned Howon and nudged him with his elbow. “Shouldn’t you be excited since Sungjong accepted your proposal?”

 

“Hyung…” Howon glanced to the passenger sitting on his right and returned to concentrate on the road ahead of him, “Ah… molla…” Howon sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

 

“What’s with that sigh of desperation? You know you could tell me about it.” Sunggyu comforted him.

 

Howon swerved the car to the right and stopped by the curbside, “Jwesonghamnida hyung but could you please go back home yourself. I need some alone time.”

 

“Sure,” Sunggyu leaned forward and embraced his dongsaeng in a warm hug. “If there’s anything you need, you can always call me.” Sunggyu alighted and waved goodbye before walking towards the subway station. Howon released another sigh and smashed his fist against the horn before leaning his head against his headrest.

 

Howon’s P.O.V.

Flashback

My heart was thumping loudly. “And now for the highlight of the day,” I turned to my right to face Sungjong, held his hands, looked deep into his eyes and asked, “Will you be my boyfriend?”

 

“Hyung… I…” Sungjong hesitated, “I accept.”

 

“Whoo-hoo! Daebak!” I shouted and punched my fist into the air and cuddled Sungjong in a tight hug.

 

“Congratulations to the both of you!” Sungyeol exclaimed. And the rest echoed along.

 

After the dinner, the rest were busy chatting in the living room whilst I was just using the toilet. As I dried my hands with a tissue and opened the door, I was shocked to find Sungjong standing outside, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed across his chest. “Hyung I need a word with you.” And he headed towards his room.

 

Closing the door behind me, I asked, “So what’s up?”

 

Fixating his eyes on the floor, Sungjong apologized, “Hyung I’m sorry but I have to reject your proposal.”

 

I took a step closer towards him but he took a step backwards, bumping into the wall behind him. “Is there anything wrong Sungjong?”

 

“Hyung… it’s just… I’m not ready yet… I… have not recovered from my previous breakups…” Sungjong muttered.

 

“Oh… well it’s…”

 

Sungjong drew in a deep breath, “Hyung, now’s not the time but you’ll always be my hyung. I hope we can remain as friends for now right?”

 

“Erm… well… I guess so…” I replied casually, not revealing any hint of disappointment.

 

“That’s great then. I’ve always loved you as my hyung.” Sungjong stepped forward and gave me a hug. “See you outside then.” And Sungjong left for the living room.

 

Leaning against the wall, I slid downwards into a crouching position. “Did I just get rejected?” I whispered to myself.

 

End of flashback

End of Howon’s P.O.V.

 

Meanwhile, at the airport, fans were gathering outside the arrival gate, awaiting their favourite stars from Korea. “Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve reached Washington D.C., capital of USA. Thank you for flying with American Airlines. We wish a safe journey and hope to see you again.”

 

Two fine gentlemen stepped out of the departure gate. “Ah… it’s been a long time since we can finally breathe fresh air,” the older one inhaled before reminding the younger one, “Myungsoo-ah, don’t forget our promise. Whoever finds him first, gets him.” Woohyun informed his dongsaeng as he removed his sunglasses and folded them before placing it into his left pocket.

 

“Of course hyung! How could I forget such an important promise? May the best man win,” Myungsoo resounded. Screams and cries filled the air as both of them walked out of the airport. Bodyguards were busy shoving and pushing their way through the rowdy crowd to allow the two idols to board their black van.

 

“Wow… that’s some crazy group of girls.” Woohyun blurted out after their manager closed the sliding doors behind them.

 

“I spotted some guys in the crowd as well,” Myungsoo chipped in.

 

“Well… they may be up to your liking but not mine… I only have eyes for one person and one person only,” Woohyun emphasized.

 

Myungsoo was about to argue back when their manager quickly opened the door jumped into van’s front passenger seat, “Yah! No one’s starting any sort of rumours here! Understood?”