11

The Choice

 

Narrator

 

Hyemi winced as Yejin dragged her inside the club filled with Daehan’s students. Music was pounding from all around her and bodies swayed in unison. Hyemi could smell the stench of alcohol that hung above them.

“Yejin-”

“Stop being such a party pooper, Hyemi. This is actually an annual party the school arranges.”

“At a club?” She looked at her friend incredulously.

“Of course not the school administration, what I meant was the school body. The students.”

“Figures.” Hyemi said as she and Yejin sat on the stools.

“Can you drink?”

“A little.”

 

Junhee was dressed in a pair of skinnny jeans and a loose muscle top as she entered the club. The sounds of her stilettos on the floor was muffled by the music around her.

She grinned as she spotted Hyemi and Yejin.

She saw Kai approach the two. Junhee shook her head and went to another direction.

“I didnt think I’d see you here.”

Yejin blinked, Hyemi bit her lip.

“If this is about yor friend-”

“No, Himchan’s okay. He’ll survive. Dont worry about the red card anymore. I’m Kai by the way.” He offered his hand good naturedly.

“Nice to meet you, Kai sunbae.” Hyemi nodded. Yejin offered a smile as she received their drinks.

“In the future, I hope I’ll be seeing you two around soon. The drinks are on me. Enjoy.” He said before leaving.

Hyemi blinked, Yejin dreamily sighed and leaned on the table.

“He’s like a prince.”

“A few months ago you told me he was a part of mafia. And you were terrified of him.” Hyemi said in a dry tone.

“But look at him.”

“I know.” Hyemi chuckled, knowing what her friend meant. She had to admit the guys of F4 were really good looking.

“And by the way, Hyemi.”

“Hm?”

“Himchan sunbae has been looking-no staring at you the whole time.”

 

Junhee grinned as she put down her kiwi juice. From her position she could perfectly see her cousin and Hyemi. Himchan was sitting down with his friends, but usually his eyes were on Hyemi.

“Daebak.” She shook her head. Then she felt someone plop beside her.

“Hey, I havent seen you around here. You new?” The man dressed in a black shirt and khaki jeans grinned at her.

Junhee smiled briefly and stood up.

“Hey, dont leave yet.” He slurred as he caught hold of her wrist.

Junhee sighed and tried to pry his arm off.

“Let me go.” She said, but the man just grinned and stood up to meet her gaze. Then his arm landed on her waist.

“I like you, feisty-”

Junhee smiled at him then kicked his shin twice, the man winced and landed on the velvet couch.

“Seriously.” She muttered as she went down.

 

“Hi.”

Hyemi turned and found Junhee smiling at her.

“It’s you, have a seat.” She smiled back and offered her a seat. Yejin looked at Hyemi questionigly.

“Yejin, this is Kim Junhee, she’s helped me a few times.” Hyemi said in a shy tone.

“Nice to meet you.” Junhee smiled.

“Kim Junhee? Wait, Kim Junhee? Have I met you before?” Yejin looked at her. Junhee mentally slapped herself.

Of course, Yejin studied at Daehan Kindergarten too, just like her.

“I dont think so. I just came from Japan.” She fibbed. Hyemi nodded.

“Anyway, can I leave my purse with you first? I need to go the restroom.”

 

“Whats that?” Chunji said. Himchan looked up. There were three guys surrounding Hyemi and her friend. The two women looked bothered by them.

“Arent those the guys our juniors?” Kai looked up. Then one of the guys slammed his fist on the table, Hyemi jumped lightly. Himchan’s brows furrowed.

Daehyun turned to his friend, as if to measure his reaction.

Then one of the men started to threaten the two. Himchan stormed off from their booth.

“Bingo.” Kai grinned as they followed his friend.

 

“Dont stop lying, she was here with you.” The man slurred. He was the same man that Junhee humiliated befre.

“It’s true!...She went out!” Yejin swallowed. The other two guys cackled.

“That girl, she needs to be taught a lesson.” The other pushed Hyemi’s shoulder twice. Hyemi’s eyes widened.

“I wouldnt do that if I were you.” A masculine voice said.

The man looked up and smirked.

“Oh, sunbae. Do you know her?”

“Does it matter?” Himchan replied in a flat tone.

“Wasn’t she the one who insulted you? We cant take care of her, sunbae.” Then he yanked Hyemi from her seat, Hyemi tripped on one of the stools. Then she felt a reassuring hand on her wrist, pulling her up.

“Take care?” Himchan said in a low tone as he pulled Hyemi behind him.

“How about we take care of you?” Kai grinned menacingly.

“Their friend insulted one of ours sunbae. And she wasnt from Daehan. We couldnt let it pass.” One of them said in a hurry or out of fright.

“Friend?” Himchan looked at Hyemi briefly. Then he saw her bleeding knee.

“What happened, Yejin-ah?” A voice joined them.

“Junhee!” Hyemi sighed in relief.

 

Then one of the guys started to pull Junhee by the collar.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++