Epilogue

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM since I chose Nana's Theme for the last one, I'll take One Summer's day for this. It has a nostalgic feeling, perfect for the epilogue.

-

The leaves rustled when she squeezed herself through the gap between two trees. The sound of water lilies moving lightly in the water could be perceived by her ears. The sight was beautiful and a little magical as it looked so out of place in the big city; it looked too peaceful.

The feeling of a déjà-vu rushed through her each year she came here and entered this place. That, and a beautiful warmth. Because whenever she was here at their secret place, she could feel his presence very strongly. Maybe it was due to the many memories that this place brought her. Or maybe he was really here.

She walked to one of the trees behind the little pond. To the one with the engraving.

Gently, she brushed her thumb over the letters that were carved into the bark of the tree.

How have you been, Luhan?

She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply.

Thirty years.

It had been exactly thirty years since that day.

And yet, despite the many, many years that passed, the memories still felt so vivid, as though it had only been days.

It was right before her eyes, how she broke down in the hospital and cried for nearly an hour. How she sobbed so violently and shook with her whole body until a few nurses managed to make her stand up. She was given some tea and recommended to visit the hospital's psychiatrist, at least for a while. But she declined, she only wanted to be alone. Besides, there was no way she'd ever voluntarily step into the psychiatrist's office again. She didn't want any medication, either.

Somehow she'd gotten home safely; she didn't even know how. And for the following two days, she only stayed home, never once leaving it. Eating was basically impossible, but occasionally, she had to give in to her stomach. Most of the time, however, she only drank something and went back to her room. She curled herself into a ball under her blanket, staring at the blanket's pattern, while she wished to fall asleep. Too unbelievable was the whole situation. Her heart refused to believe, and her mind? Her mind talked her into believing that this was all a bad dream. That reality was the nice dreams she had.

But somewhere between the second and the third day, she had understood. Understood that this was indeed reality. But even with that realization, no tears wanted to come. Could you believe it? The always crying girl – that crybaby – couldn't muster up any tears.

But maybe … maybe she had just cried too much in the hospital that day.

And so she dragged herself out of bed the next morning, went to the bathroom, and smiled at her reflection. This felt all too similar to last time. To when Luhan had gone to the States. The only difference was that there wasn't this spark of hope that he'd come back soon. Because he wouldn't. He couldn't, even if he wanted to.

But even so, she couldn't possibly stay in her bed forever. She reminded herself that Luhan would scold her seeing her behave like this. However, even when she had his scoldings so vivid in front of her inner-eye, she wasn't able to bring herself to continue with her life completely. Not yet. She had no strength for that. But leaving her bed was her first step.

As she brushed her teeth and continued to stare at her reflection, she realized just how faintly she was feeling the current reality. The toothbrush in her hand, the foam in , and the cold September wind that entered through the opened window – she barely perceived any of those.

The reflected eyes stared at her. Emptily and lifelessly. But she felt too weak to muster up any vital energy. Even so, she would go out of the house today. Maybe not to university, but to the supermarket to buy some food.

When she stood in front of the door, having showered and changed into fresh clothes, however, the doorbell rang. Confused, she answered the intercom.

“Hello? Is this Jung Hana?” A deep, unfamiliar voice asked.

She mumbled a weak “yes” in reply.

“My name is Wu Yifan. I was Luhan's doctor in the States. Please don't immediately go away. I have something to give you from him.”

Her hand twitched lightly when she heard that this was Luhan's doctor. But before slamming the phone back to the intercom, she had frozen upon hearing that he something to give to her. Something from Luhan.

Without further words, she pressed the button to open the door. And after some minutes a very tall man entered her apartment. His facial features were sharp, his dark eyes looking quite sad, and his hair was a dark sandy colour. In his hand was a piece of paper, it seemed.

“Dr. Wu?” Hana spoke quietly.

The man waved his hand a little. “Yifan is fine.”

He stepped closer to Hana and before saying anything, he bowed. He bowed ninety degrees.

“I am sincerely and truly sorry for being unable to save him.”

When he straightened again, she could see that he was indeed being sincere. His eyes were full of true regret, not just the kind of pity most doctors gave you.

“I might come across as insincere, but I am not only sorry as a doctor, but also as a friend. Luhan is a patient whom I grew to treasure as a friend. And today, I came here to fulfil the favour he asked of me. As a friend,” the man said, staring into her eyes.

He held out the hand with the letter in it. “After four months of staying in the States, he's asked me if I could do him a favour and deliver a letter to someone. To a certain someone he's often mentioned. And after the fifth month he gave me the letter … It took him a whole month to write it, so I hope you will read it thoughtfully. He wrote until he really couldn't hold a pencil properly any more. I know that because I know when his muscles slackened.”

Her breathing became stagnant upon what she heard. Partly because he actually used up so much energy for a letter for her, and partly because of that Wu Yifan.

“I will definitely read it thoughtfully,” she whispered, reaching out to take the letter. “Thank you. I'm glad Luhan had a doctor like you treating him.”

“You are?” Wu Yifan blinked a few times.

She smiled as she held the letter closer to her chest. “Yeah, because what Luhan needed was a friend and not just a doctor during his stay.” She was glad that Luhan hadn't been alone over there. Not just physically, but mentally. Especially since the way that man talked about Luhan told her that he cared.

A smile spread across the man's lips and he turned around, ready to leave. “Indeed, a match made in heaven.”

“Huh?” She stared at him, confused by what he suddenly said.

Already halfway through the living room, he raised his hand and waved at her while walking to the door. “Nothing, it's just, he said something similar before,” he called back. “Anyway, go read the letter!”

She shook her head as she closed the door, watching the tall figure travel down the stairs. What a weird doctor. Still, a little smile was tugging at her lips. Just weird enough to be Luhan's friend.

She sat down at the table, tightly holding the letter in her hand. She closed her eyes for a moment, as if to relish the fact that this was really written by Luhan, and to prepare herself. After a deep gulp of air, she then opened the envelope. She grabbed into it. Quite a few papers were in her hand. No wonder the envelope had been so thick, and no wonder it'd taken him a month, especially when he was so weak.

And so she began reading …


 

Dear Hana,

to be honest, I've never written a letter before. But after staying here in the States for a few months, after seeing other cases of leukaemia in this hospital, and after many days of thinking and thinking, I found that a letter might be good. And necessary.

When you read this, then I already … Yeah.

She felt her heart tighten at that sentence. It was a heavy feeling, as if her heart was being pulled together. Breathing in deeply, she forced herself to continue.

If a miracle happens, which I don't believe, then you will never receive this letter because there won't be the need. But if not, I've asked my doctor, Yifan, to give you the letter after that. I hope he's going to do it. If not, I will haunt him. But I know he will; he's a good man. And my friend. Please don't be angry at him, if it doesn't work out. I actually have a feeling that it won't. But it's okay. I'm just glad that he hasn't given me up yet and that he's still trying his best. What matters to me is that he's trying his best. That's enough.

The back of her eyes immediately began to feel hot when her eyes read that. So already in the middle of his stay,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter