Vulnerable

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you want to know?” Luhan asked, his voice not louder than the soft breeze, and gave Hana a smile while he had his eyes closed. He was lying on the grass, lateral position, and facing the girl, who was lying in the same position as him only mirror-inverted, her head resting against her hand, elbow propped up. She looked at him for a while before a sigh slipped from her lips. “Everything,” she whispered and raised her hand to touch his skin that seemed to glisten under the sunlight, but her fingers halted an inch before they touched the skin. He – he looked so vulnerable right now that she wondered how she had never realized it.

A smirk formed upon the male's lips, but he kept his eyes closed. “Name's Luhan. Twenty-two years old. One meter seventy eight–” “Luhan,” Hana angrily called out and pulled back her hand. The said one chuckled in amusement, lightly nodding his head. “Yeah, yeah.” He opened his eyes and side-glanced at the girl, who was still gazing at him. “Then be a bit more precise with your demands,” he commented with a smile before closing his eyes again.

Hana didn’t avert her gaze from his face as she thought about what she wanted to know. His age had just been revealed, so she didn’t have to ask about that anymore. Twenty-two. She would have guessed him younger only judging from his appearance, but she had always known that Luhan was very mature on the inside.

Once again, she was caught up in his paradox.


“Why hasn't anyone visited you in four years?” She asked, having gathered her thoughts at last, and reached out again, her finger once again halting shortly before they came into contact with his skin. She noticed how his eyebrows twitched a bit, making him look like a child when he having a nightmare. “I'd love to answer 'I don’t know, ask them' but that'd be a lie,” Luhan mumbled, the tone of his voice somber.

The girl bit her lower lip upon hearing what he said. There was so much bitterness in his voice that the girl wondered how he had hidden it so well before. It was the first time she was hearing such an emotion in his voice, and it felt unusual. Unknowingly, her fingers moved a bit and brushed against his cheek. The male's eyes fluttered open, but Hana just smiled reassuringly, which made him close his eyes again. She continued to his cheek gently, and Luhan found himself liking the light physical contact. A lot, even.

“I ran away from home.” As he said that, the of her fingers suddenly came to an end, and he opened his eyes irreducibly. He raised his hand and grabbed hers, leading it to his cheek again. “Don't stop,” he whispered. “Please,” he added, making Hana feel absolutely dumbfounded. He was pleading her, and with such vulnerability and sincerity even. That was a side of him she didn’t know.

Hana moved even closer to him and crouched next to him, leaning forward, so she was almost hovering above him. She put out her hand again and continued to brush her finer against his soft skin. Her eyes softening, she watched as a satisfied smile spread across the male's lips. “So, you haven't seen them ever since then?”

“Yeah … it's been five years.” The girl halted. “They never contacted you? And you never contacted them?” Luhan sighed and shook his head. “When I left, do you know what my father said to me? If you step out of this house, you are not my son anymore, and don’t ever think about coming back. We had a huge fight before. Actually, the weeks before I left consisted of fights only …” he took a deep breath. “When I left, I lost my family. Even if I tried to contact them again, they wouldn’t accept me anymore. I don’t care, though,” Luhan said, and although his voice sounded dull and emotionless, Hana could see that it hurt him, as his hands had clenched into fists. Something Luhan himself didn’t even realize.

“I think, if they knew about your current situation, they wouldn’t turn their back on you. So–” “–I already said that I don’t care about that. I'm not their son anymore, and they are not my parents,” Luhan interrupted her, his voice sounding angry, but also … desperate.

Hana watched his hands form into fists again, and she sighed. “You're lying,” she said, meeting his eyes. “You just don’t want them to know about your situation because … you fear they'd be disappointed …” her voice broke off when the male looked away. She nailed it. But somehow, she didn’t feel good having said that, because now the male wasn’t saying anything anymore … and she didn’t want him to be silent.

Luhan couldn’t find the right words, being too surprised by what she'd just said. You fear they'd be disappointed. How come she saw right through the lie when he hadn't even planned to lie? Those words were simply what he always said … and he had thought they were what he also felt. But it seemed like the lie he himself wasn’t even aware of, had just been uncover

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter