Ticking Clock

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know, I kinda envy you for your friendship with Yixing,” Hana mumbled, playing with Luhan’s hair. It had been a few days since Yixing had come to visit and her first visit since then. She had brought a little cake, wishing for him to gain a bit weight. And now that they’d finished eating it, Luhan was just lying in the bed in a side position and facing Hana while she was slowly running her hand through his thick hair. Now that she thought about it, Luhan must have had barely any chemotherapy – if any, that is – the past year through. His hair was thick and healthy, showing no trace of having been bald in the near past.

They hadn’t spoken much about Luhan’s illness general. The topic was that seldom talked about that Hana sometimes caught herself forgetting how severe it actually was. However, at moments like this she was reminded. Reminded of reality. She sighed, shaking her head lightly. It was idiotic to dwell on it in his presence. If she wanted to, she could do it when she was alone.

The time she had with Luhan was so little. And who would waste that little time with thoughts that unnecessarily depressed one?

Luhan, having just closed his eyes and not gotten any scent of Hana’s inner conflict, turned his face to the other side. Blinking his eyes open, he stared at the wall. “What’s there to envy about?” He questioned.

“Not sure. I guess, it’s that you experienced so many things together. To the point that those experiences somehow … shaped you similarly in some aspects,” she replied slowly, contemplating on what to say. “You’re not the same person, but you seem so familiar with each other as if you were.”

Luhan’s eyebrows twitched in confusion. “Aren’t most friendships like this?”

A sad smile appeared on Hana’s face as she mumbled, “I don’t know, to be honest.”

Quite abruptly, Luhan sat up and turned around again. “You don't know? Do you mean, you haven’t experienced a single friendship yet?” He asked, eyes round, as he stared at her.

The way he asked her made Hana feel uncomfortable. Was it that strange?

She bit her lower lip and shook her head lightly. “No … I don’t know, I’m just not the type to make friends,” she mumbled. “It’s not that I am unable to, just … I feel comfortable alone.” There was an urge to defend herself, weirdly. Even though Luhan hadn’t commented on anything directly, the sincerely surprised expression said enough for her. “I don’t feel bored or lonely when I’m alone. I never did. I … don’t like having too many people around me. I-”

“It’s alright. No need to defend yourself for something that doesn’t need to be defended,” Luhan interrupted her, giving her a little smile. “I was just … surprised. Friends – true friends – are really nice.” He reached out and patted her head gently. “The feeling of just understanding each other and sharing nice memories and having fun. It’s a shame you haven’t experienced it yet.”

“But I did!” Hana called out right after he finished.

“But didn’t you just say-” Luhan was cut off by her, “-I did experience those things, though.”

A frown spread across Luhan’s forehead. “With whom?”

Quite dumbfounded at the fact that Luhan didn’t seem to have a single clue, Hana raised her hand. She pointed at him. “With you,” she answered as though it was the most oblivious thing in the world. Which was the case in her opinion.

Luhan’s eyes widened before he burst into light laughter. “Are we friends?”

“Aren’t we?” Hana questioned, frowning at him.

As Luhan leaned closer all of a sudden, her eyes widened a bit, but she maintained the eye-contact.

“We’re strangers in love, did you already forget that?” Luhan’s lips curled into a smirk, his hazel eyes boring into the depth of Hana’s eyes.

For a long moment, she lost herself in their beauty. It wasn’t until Luhan deliberately closed them for a second longer than necessary that she finally escaped the magic.

Hana, at last, rolled her eyes. “Right.”

“No, but seriously, do you really think we’re only friends?”

Hana knew that he was only teasing her, but she replied nonetheless, “Not only, but also.”

“That,” Luhan stuck out his tongue then, “is something I can agree with.”

Hana snorted before she chuckled softly. Then when her laughter became less, she mumbled a quiet “Idiot”.

 

 

Days had passed ever since then. It was a normal Thursday – Hana would come to visit today – and he spent his time in the room, either taking a nap or reading a book. However, the sudden sound of a knock surprised him. Hana wouldn't be here until three hours later. “Yes?”

“Mr. Lu? Doctor Lee wants to see you.”

Luhan frowned. It had been a while since the doctor wanted to see him.

“Is something wrong?” He inquired, feeling a tad nervous.

“Oh, please don't worry, Mr. Lu. Doctor Lee said he has good news for you.”

Luhan left his room to go to the doctor, feeling a bit better upon hearing that it was good news.

He held his breath when he arrived in front of the doctor's room. His whole body was completely under tension . However, it wasn't due to fear; it was because he was suppressing the anticipation ,that wanted to spread all over his body so bad. It was good news, so what was there to fear?, One would ask.

Luhan knew the answer, though. It was the disappointment he feared. The disappointment that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter