Pretence

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting on her bed and leaning against the frame, Hana looked out the window, her gaze empty as she thought about what had taken place in the morning. Even now, after half a day, it felt weird. It felt surreal in the sense that she still hadn't realized that Luhan really left. The images of Luhan hugging her at the airport – she had skipped university – were still vividly dancing in front of her inner eye. But paradoxically, the event only remained in her remembrance the way a dream did. It seemed as though it'd never happened, as though it was only a piece of imagination.

She thought of how the two of them had managed not to shed a single tear at the airport. Which was most-likely due to them having cried enough the day before. At the airport the farewell had gone so smoothly. Almost a tad too smoothly. None had cried, nor had they caused any delay. They'd hugged, smiled and wished each other the best. It was one of the most ordinary farewells one could think of.

It wasn't emotional. But maybe it was intentional. Maybe it was to make the farewell easier. Maybe it had just been pretence for both of them, and they were very well aware of it, so they wouldn't cause any trouble for the other one. It wasn't as if they actually were so carefree about all this. But in what way would a big scene at the airport help? Not at all. Besides, a day ago, hadn't they already poured their hearts out to the other one?

A long and almost wailing sigh slipped from her lips. She hugged the pillow tighter, as if it could lessen the emptiness she was feeling at the moment. Because even though the realization hadn't been completely processed by her brain yet, her heart had long understood. It had long understood the loneliness that felt so empty.

She averted her gaze from the window.

It wasn't as if she'd paid attention to the view anyway.


 

The next day, when Hana was awoken by the light that flooded her room because she hadn't bothered to close the curtains the night before, she could feel a wet sensation on her face. On her cheeks, to be exact. She opened her eyes and instinctively touched her face. She sighed. She had cried during sleep. Of course she would. After all, she had dreamed about the farewell at the airport. Weirdly though, the dream had felt more real than the actuality. The surrounding of the airport, the nurses that were with them, all of it had looked the same. All had been the same, except for her and Luhan's actions. They had cried and clung onto each other, never wanting to let go. It was the opposite of reality.

Hana had begged him to stay.

Luhan had wanted to give in to her plea.

And it would've worked, if not for the blackness that'd washed over everything. Because once that was gone, Luhan was as well.

So Hana was left standing amidst all those people at the airport, just like the actuality. But she hadn't just gone home silently. In her dream, she'd broken down and yelled and shouted and cried. Because she wanted him back. Because only in her dream did she allow herself to give in to her childish wish.

Childish, huh?, Hana wondered while she hid her face in the blanket. She didn't want to get out of the bed today. And so, since it was weekend anyway, Hana decided to simply stay in bed.

She inhaled the scent of her blanket and crazily the nice scent of washing powder reminded her of the way her blanket had smelled like in the hospital. And whenever hospital crossed her mind, undoubtedly, Luhan would follow.

And that Luhan was now gone, he was somewhere in a foreign country, alone. He was starting his special treatment with a vague chance of success. It was all uncertain and unfamiliar.

Hana felt her tears wet the blanket. The poor boy, having to deal with all that alone. With all the strange things in a foreign country, the language unknown to him. She sobbed quietly. Was at least the doctor nice to Luhan? She hoped so.

Because if not, then Hana didn't know what to do anymore. This was all for Luhan's sake. But rational or not, she couldn't bear knowing that Luhan could be treated badly. She simply couldn't. The mere thought of him experiencing even more bad, she loathed it with every fiber of her being. She prayed, wished, even demanded, that he could be at least granted fairness. Health might be a bit too big wish, but at least fairness.

For the rest of the day Hana found herself imagining scenarios in the States. Scenarios of Luhan arriving there, getting to see the hospital, his room, the doctor, the different culture.

That particular day passed soon because Hana fell asleep at some point, amidst all those thoughts about him. She hadn't eaten, only drunk a little bit water.


 

When Hana woke up the next day, she decided to at least go out of her bed. However, without going to the restroom, she just wore a thin jacket over her pajamas while she rummaged through some of her very old drawings.

Little did it help to distract her. She found old drawings of so many chimera and fairy tales. She found drawings of flowers and stars. All that. It was all so old, even so much that her parents had never once bothered trying to sell them due to the quality.

As Hana's eyes fell upon one particular drawing, she could feel a hot sensation at the back of her mind. It was the counterpart to the prince draw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter