Fairytale

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana held her breath for a few seconds as she stood in front of the hospital two days after her first visit. Indeed, it felt like the entrance of the hospital was the entrance to her fairytale. She could feel how the stress and worry of life slid off her as she stepped in, as though they were non-existent. It was as if they were washed away. It made her content, but a little melancholic at the same time. The fact that she made such a distinct boundary between reality and fairytale … but then again, hadn't she always done that?

When she was faced with the door to Luhan's room, having passed by the receptionist, she reached out, ready to knock, only to halt and take a deep breath. Something was at the pit of her stomach. One could say it was barely noticeable, easily ignorable, but something – Hana's inner-voice – told her not to ignore it, despite the discomfort it brought to her.

As the door opened and the sight of the familiar male with golden hair revealed itself, Hana could feel how a part of her chose to ignore the unwell feeling again. And when her eyes were met with his deep eyes of warm chocolate, her mind could do nothing against the ignorance the part of her had chosen. It was easier this way, wasn’t it?

Besides, who would want to ruin the fairytale with unpleasant thoughts …


 

Luhan smiled at the sight of the girl standing in the door frame. Although he knew Hana would always want to visit it, he still felt relieved when the door opened and the said girl stepped in. Because to him, that meant that everything was fine. At least for the moment.

Hana decreased the distance until she was next to his bed again. She bit back a smile as she held up a plastic bag, glancing up at Luhan. “Here.”

The male only gave her a questioning look before his gaze wandered to the plastic bag, eying it precisely. He trailed Hana's hand as she took a box out of the bag. It was a bento box, he realized in surprise. He watched as she carefully placed it on top of the blanket and his lap before she stepped back a little. “I hope you'll like it,” she mumbled, looking away and twisting her lips. “I didn’t know what you like to eat, so I just stuck with the classical box that I always make for myself …”

The way Hana was nervously side-glancing at him as he slowly opened the box made him smile. Smile in a childish contentment as he felt both surprised and touched by the fact that she'd made him food. He found it endearing to see how nervous she seemed to be, almost as if she was anticipating him seeing the food.

She did have something to anticipate, as Luhan broke into a wide smile at the sight of the food inside the bento box. Two rice balls were placed in the middle section of the box, looking a little clumsily formed, then several Kimbap slices in the right section, meat and fish slices in the left section and in the lower section slices of omelette rolls.

Luhan, of course, noticed the slightly misshaped form of the Kimbap slices and omelette rolls, but somehow, it was exactly those little imperfections that made the bento box the best one in the world for him. Because those little imperfections showed that it was made by Hana, and not some random professional she had bought it from. Because the fact that the girl had taken her time and made this whilst thinking of him, was more than enough to fill him up. To fill him up with love.

Eagerly, he took the chopsticks, that lay in the lid of the box, and took the first Kimbap slice. While he chewed on it, he couldn’t suppress the still wide smile that graced his lips. It was tasty – no – delicious! And so he continued to eat appreciatively. His eyes were glowing with more happiness after each bite, his cheeks were constantly filled and moving in a chewing motion.

“It's delicious,” he mumbled, his mouth full, turning to Hana and giving her a thankful smile. He looked like a child with his twinkling eyes and full cheeks.

The girl could feel pride, relief and happiness rush through her simultaneously at the sight of Luhan eating what she made him so well. She vowed to forever make him food, seeing how happy he looked while eating. She wanted him to gain weight as well, as he looked so thin these days. She wanted to eat street food with him. She wanted to go into the city with him. She wanted to go visit a zoo with him. Anything, she wanted to do with him. If only he weren't cursed with that illness. If only … Hana shook her head, attempting to scatter away such thoughts.

Then, when Luhan had finished the food, he put the box away and turned to Hana again. Before he could say anything, the girl interrupted him with a little chuckle. “Luhan, you eat like a five-year-old,” she chided as she reached out to grab a serviette.

“What?” The male stared at her confusedly, earning another chuckle from the girl. She pointed to his face, nodding her head.

The realization slowly dawned upon Luhan and as he raised his hand to touch his face, he could feel something near his mouth area. There was some rice sticking on his right cheek. His face turned into a light shape of pink and he laughed aloud before hastily wiping it away with his bare hand, not caring to use a napkin.

Hana couldn’t keep her laughter at that sight. In many areas Luhan was mature and profound, but it seemed that eating properly wasn’t exactly his forte. However, the girl found it to be endearing. Halting her chuckle, she let her gaze rest on him a little longer. A thoughtful expression appeared on her face, as she realized something. As she realized that Luhan was indeed just a boy. He was, after all, only in his early twenties. No matter how wise he often sounded, he wasn’t much older than Hana. Just a boy, not more, not less. A boy, who, just like her, had a vulnerable side to him. One that he barely showed anyone. One that even she had only seen once. One – her thoughts were interrupted, “Stop making fun of me, will you,” Luhan mumbled, his eyebrows furrowing cutely. Hana stiffened for a moment as she noticed how far her thoughts drifted away again. Shaking them off, she chuckled again. “I'm not,” she halfheartedly murmured, grinning at him before she laughed again.

Several seconds of silence – in which Hana slowly lost herself in her thoughts again – followed before Luhan motioned her with his hand to come closer. Giving him a questioning look, she closed the distance between them, standing as close to him as the bed was allowing. When the male still waved at her to come closer, Hana's brows furrowed in confusion, but nonetheless she leaned forward, pricking up her ears.

The girl blinked in surprise when she felt a sudden softness against her cheek, as she had expected a quiet “thank you” next to her ears. But it seemed that Luhan wanted to express it with a little peck before he leaned forward as well and glanced up at her. “Thank you, Hana.”

The gaze he was giving her seemed to sparkle from all the gratitude. Hana smiled. “You're more than welcome.” It was touching that a simple bento box could make him this happy. It was touching, endearing, but at the same time a little sad. As it also meant that he hadn't even received such a simple thing often in his life. It was only a bento box and yet he seemed so happy.

Hana unconsciously took a deep breath, her gaze still resting on the male's face. She knew that she wanted to do so much more for this boy. So, so much.

For Luhan however, it wasn’t just a bento box. It was the feelings she poured in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter