Realization

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soon two weeks passed with Hana visiting Luhan frequently and slowly getting used to her new life. On paper, her little visits might seem as if they were just simple three hours of her staying in his room. However, in reality it wasn’t just that. In reality it was like a fairytale. As paradoxical as it sounded, it was true. Those little visits seemed to have replaced their stays at the lily pond. Seemed to have become the entrance to their timeless little world. Except, this time it wasn’t timeless.

There was the sound of a clock, Hana could hear it. But she refused to think about it. No, she wanted to be happy in her fairytale. Just for now, she'd always think. Just for now.

Little did she know, there was something coming at her. But this little bit of realization drowned in contentment each time she stepped into the hospital.


 

As usual, Hana made her way through the hospital to Luhan's room, her gaze wandering around. It was the same. It had been the same process the past two weeks. But, she never felt less excited. In fact, she was excited every time she visited him. However, this time something was different. This time something caught her attention before she entered the room. Two boys, maybe ten years old, were walking around with the one having his arm slung around the other's shoulder, laughing and grinning. One of them was wearing the white clothing of the hospital, the other one usual clothes.

“Your dad told my mom that you're getting out next week,” one of them, not the patient, said with an excited expression, “So we can finally play soccer again?” His eyes were glistening with anticipation.

The other one smiled, nodding his head. “Yup!” He thin pumped a fist in the air. “I'm so gonna win!” He laughed before fastening his pace and turning around, walking backward. “So prepare yourself,” he said, glaring playfully at the first boy who talked.

Before Hana could observe a little longer, she had to round the corner and lost sight of them. Their loud voices could still be heard, though. The hearty laughter filled the gray hospital corridors, being in strong contrast, and yet, ironically it seemed very fitting.

The scene still lingered in Hana's mind, even as she reached Luhan's door. The scene of friends. And again, she found herself wondering about Luhan and his lost friendships. Ever since he first mentioned it, she had become curious. But, as time passed, she tried not to think about it further, not wanting to waste the little time she had with Luhan with such thoughts. Not wanting to bother the male even more when he had chosen not to talk about it. Now, however, the scene had caused all the curiosity inside her to inflame again. Still, she would try not to bring it up.

Gnawing on her lower lip, Hana opened the door after she had knocked. Luhan was asleep. At this time? Hana wondered quietly. It was noon … which meant he was exhausted. That boy, he seemed to be more tired these days. Weaker, as well. Hana wanted to do something for him. She wanted to do so much more than just bring him some food. But she knew, she couldn't. What she wanted to do for him was beyond her reach. She wanted to cure his disease. She wanted him to be healthy. She wanted him to be happy. She wanted him to be freed from this curse. She wanted so much. Was she being greedy? Maybe. But did that matter? She would gladly be greediest of all, if it could help Luhan. For Luhan, she'd do anything. Because he didn't deserve all the bad life has pushed onto his shoulders. Because he, of all people, deserved much better.

Hana shook her head. Hadn't she gone through his thousands of times already? She knew perfectly that he deserved better. Of course she did. But constantly dwelling on her inability to help him wouldn't get her anywhere. She needed to stop this. To stop thinking about all the 'what if's in life. To stop causing herself to get stuck. To stop herself from moving forward. What she needed was not the endless train of complaints – even if it was for his sake. What she needed was a solution.

Her thoughts came to a halt as she neared the bed. Her eyes widened mildly as she spotted something – a paper or the like – on the blanket in which Luhan was tucked up. As she came closer to the bed, she realized that it was a photo. With curiosity getting the better of her, she quickly snatched the photo.

The sight, though, made her somehow wish, she wouldn't have done so. Two adolescents could be seen on the photo, two boys, maybe 15 or 16, while they were grinning from ear to ear, their pants dirty and their hair disheveled as though they had just been playing some sport. The right one was secretly making bunny ears behind the other one's head. One of them was Luhan – Hana immediately recognized him – and the other one was unfamiliar to the girl. This sight, one so full of happiness and child-like energy, made Hana sad. Why? Because she knew, it was a friendship Luhan had lost. Because she knew, it pained him even if he didn't show it. Because she knew, after seeing this, she wouldn't be able to hold her tongue.

With a heavy sigh escaping her lips, she put the photo on the bed stand before she pulled a chair to the bed and sat down. Even though she had sat down quietly, the male awoke, and as his gaze met hers, his immediate reaction was to sit up and look down on his lap, as though he was searching for something. His eyes were wide in what seemed to be both shock and confusion.

It didn't take a genius to figure out then. “I put the photo on your bed stand.”

Luhan blinked twice before looking up and locking gazes with Hana. Paradoxically, both relief and disturbance were reflected in his eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter