Gratitude

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana wanted to visit Luhan. She wanted to visit him so much, but the next three days she couldn’t find the time. There was a lot to take care of, regarding the money on her bank account and the bills. Adding to that, she had to look for a part-time job and arrange everything regarding her studies.

It was overwhelming. All of a sudden, she'd just been thrown back into life. And not even into her old life. It was completely different; no school of art, no art competitions, no more money she earned by simply painting. It seemed almost surreal, like a different life. Foreign and strange.

A different life, huh? The girl thought as she walked into the store in which she wanted to apply for a position. The two other places hadn't been all too keen on employing her, since she'd be working at a slower pace with her unhealthy hand. Her hand was becoming better, but it was still nowhere near being possible to be used the normal way.

Fortunately, this store's boss agreed, on the condition to lower the pay a bit. Hana was just relieved that she had a job now, so she agreed. Arranging things with the university was a pain, though, as the girl had first intended to attend an art university and now as that wasn’t possible anymore, she had to look for others.

It had taken a lot time to find an university and the constant visits to them and her new part-time job's shifts caused her to miss the visiting hours of the hospital for three full days. And in those three days, she realized, how strange it was. How strange life was. Not only was she constantly doing something – be it the preparation for university or working or taking care of the bills – which was a huge contrast to the calm days in the hospital, there was one thing that disturbed her the most: not having Luhan around her. Not having the person who made her feel at ease, who motivated her to try to be more optimistic. And under all the stress, she could feel the unwilingness inside her grow. Despite suppressing it, she couldn’t help but just think about how easy life could be if not for the car accident. Just how much easier … 

However, the one thought that kept her from complaining was Luhan. Whenever she thought of the male who was still in the hospital, who still hadn't received any good news regarding his condition, who still hadn't had a single person to visit him in four years. Who was waiting for her to visit him, she could feel her heart tighten. She needed to find the time to visit him as soon as possible. No matter what, she just had to. Luhan gave her too much for her just to be occupied with some struggles of life. He was still suffering. Now, even all by himself.

And with such thoughts, Hana decided to visit the university on a different day and use the time to visit Luhan. Screw university … Luhan is so much more important, she thought, wondering why she hadn't done it earlier. Scolding herself for not having done so earlier.


 

When Hana stepped into the hospital, the all too familiar sterile scent entered her nose, and a gust of nostalgia whirled through her. It had been four days. Only four days, and yet the hospital felt like an almost faint memory.

When the woman as the reception spotted Hana, she greeted the girl in surprise. “Miss Jung, what are you doing here? Is there a problem with your hand?”

Hana pressed her lips together, slightly touched by the receptionist's attentiveness. And suddenly, she could feel it. The fact that she actually missed the hospital. She might have always wanted hated her stay back then, but only now did she realize that it had been calming. That it had been so much more comfortable than the stress she was now faced with. The kind of stress known as life.

“No, I'm fine. I'm here to visit someone,” she replied, looking around. It felt so odd to be standing here at the reception. To be visiting someone here. Back then, she had thought she'd never step into the hospital again after being released. But things changed.

“Oh, who?” The receptionist looked at Hana, surprised.

Taking a deep breath, the girl turned her face to look at the receptionist again. “Luhan,” she said, the longing evident in her voice. “All right,” the woman gave back and took notice of it in the computer.

With slow steps, Hana walked to Luhan's room. Her eyes were trailing the whole hospital building, as if to make her realize that she was indeed here as a visitor. Not as a patient. When she arrived in front of the male's room, she could feel the nervousness inside her grow. It might have been only three days, but she felt as if it made a big difference from the last time. Reaching out, she knocked three times.

Gulping, she pushed the door-handle down, pushing the door open. Unconsciously, she had been holding her breath until her gaze fell upon the sight of Luhan lying in his bed, a book in his hand. When the male looked up and was met with Hana, he let go of the book in surprise.

“Hana?” He called out.

The girl eyed him for a moment. He looked a tad thinner than few days before, didn’t he? But she decided not to think about it first, and just walked to his bed. “I'm sorry I took so long to finally visit you,” she mumbled, reaching out and taking his hand in hers. The touch sent a familiar sweetness across her skin and she realized

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter