Shared Sorrow

Flower of Despair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now unable to see his face, Hana could only prick up her ears to take notice of his reaction, which, however, took a while.

"What are you doing here?"

At last, Luhan's voice broke through the silence that had engulfed the room after his mother had called out his name. His tone was monotone. Dull, even. And yet, Hana could perfectly imagine the pain that hid behind this uncaring mask. Because how much would it have to hurt that he put on such a strong mask to hide it?

She bit hard on her lower lip and breathed in deeply as her thoughts whirled around that. People who try too hard to hide their pain usually suffer a lot. Luhan was one of them. 

“Get lost,” he added in a whisper. Despite having whispered, he sounded so harsh and cold that Hana could feel her heart tighten again. She could basically feel how much he had to be hurting to sound so cold. And the urge to push away the older woman and just rush to Luhan, embrace him and beg forgiveness grew with each second passing. But, she pushed it back. She forced it down to the deepest part of her heart. She kept her feet in place. Because she was in no position to take such actions. Not when she was the one who had caused the injury of his heart to inflict again.

The girl held her breath, still fighting back the urge, as she waited for his mother’s answer. Would the older woman give up that easily? Hana hoped not. She hoped that at least at this very second she’d show backbone. Just for now. It could be faux courage for all Hana cared. Just one step forward. Only one.

“B-Before you tell me to leave, please let me say what I have to say.”

A huge but silent sigh of relief left Hana’s lips upon hearing what Mrs. Lu said and she took a step back, relaxing her whole body that had been so stiff the whole time.

“I-I beg you. Just for three minutes, not more. After that I am going to d-disappear.” Mrs. Lu frantically opened and closed her fists again and again as she took a step closer to the bed. Hana caught the woman’s hands clench to fists while she was talking and walking. Not that the figure in front of her had moved, the sight of Luhan was once again revealed to her.

No matter how much a part of Hana wished not to see him, not to see it – the pain written all over his eyes –, she didn’t avoid his chocolate eyes. She locked gazes with him, hoping to look as determined as possible. However, even as her eyes, her expression seemed so strong, her hands gave her away. Her trembling hands showed, just how much she couldn’t bear the sight. The sight of Luhan blinking so much, too much. Of him kneading his hands in a seemingly endless manner. Of him taking irregular breaths. Of him desperately trying not to present his vulnerable side to his mother while he was breaking down inside.

Such nervous movements, actions – Hana knew them all too well. It was the natural precaution against the urge to cry.

And right now, she could do nothing but watch him, because he needed to confront his mother on his own. No matter how greatly Hana hated this sight, she couldn’t help it. Guilt was forcing her to see his pain. Conscience was forbidding her to close her eyes in front of it.

Hana bit her lower lip so hard that the coppery taste of blood filled her senses. Only then, she snapped out of it and blinked several times. She hadn’t realized that Mrs. Lu’d already begun talking. “ … I wish I could apologize, Lu-” the woman halted when she wanted to say his name seeing how his eyebrows twitched, as though he had just heard someone curse. “I really wish I could undo what happened … but I can’t. And thinking back, I am still positive that we only wanted your best-” She sobbed into her hand.

Hana cringed upon hearing that. There was no space for stubbornness. She didn’t want Mrs. Lu to justify her and her husband’s actions. For she knew how much anger such blind stubbornness caused for the other side. And she was proven right that Luhan would be angered as well when the said male glanced to the side and pressed his lips together. “We never wished to crush your dreams. It was about your future. It was always about your well-being.” The hypocritical tone of her voice reminded Hana of her own parents and strong disgust rose inside her. Her gaze hushed to Luhan again and the way he was slowly breathing out, staring down at his blanket made it known that he wasn’t comfortable either. “I hat-” Luhan had just raised his chin to look up again and began to say something when Hana realized what it was and cut him off, “Mrs. Lu!” She knew what Luhan wanted to say. But she wouldn’t let him. He didn’t have to waste his energy on such things. Luhan’s only task should be to stand strong during this confrontation. Hana wanted to take care of the rest. She would gladly insult in his place. She would gladly hate his mother in his place. Because hate is a painful feeling, especially when showing it. Hana didn’t wish for him to feel it right now, not when his mother’s mere presence was causing him so much pain already. Therefore she quickly took a few steps forward and grabbed Mrs. Lu’s arm. “You said three minutes. Don’t waste them trying to make excuses,” she whispered sharply, gaze cold as she set it on the older woman’s eyes.

Although Hana had decided not to meddle with it anymore, she couldn’t help it.

From the corner of her eye she could see Luhan’s eyes widen before he closed them. Hana gulped, letting go of Mrs. Lu’s hand. “Use your time wisely. Once the three minutes have passed, I will personally make you leave this room in an instant.” Hana’s voice seemed to cut through ice, especially in contrast to Mrs. Lu’s soft sobs.

The girl, not wanting Luhan to face his terribly weak mother any longer, snapped when the woman wouldn’t stop sobbing. “Get yourself together!” She turned a bit to back-face Luhan, feeling unable to be met with his gaze now. She couldn’t lose her determination now. “Can’t you at least act as if you were strong in front of your son?! Instead of making excuses, escaping the responsibility and guilt, you should simply focus on what you actually need to tell him,” she hissed. Word for word. Each one was full of Hana’s hate for the woman’s pathetic act.

“I am sorry-” “Don’t always say sorry,” Hana interrupted her harshly. You don’t even deserve to apologize, she added mentally. “What’s the use if you don’t mean it?”

The girl then stomped forward, her shoulder bumping into Mrs. Lu’s. She complentated on leaving the room, but decided against it. She couldn’t bear not interrupting the woman when she was spilling such nonsense. She knew the woman would quickly slither out and end up angering and hurting Luhan if Hana didn’t make sure to hold her back. Because the woman didn’t seem to have a single clue about just how much she was hurting him.

“I-I still think you are our son … Luhan. Your father, too, still thinks of you as our son. He is only too stubborn to show it. We really wanted your best, but the method may have been harsh. I am just so sorry I haven’t c-contacted you … your father didn’t want to hear anything about you. But not because he didn’t care … he cared a lot, but your … your decision hurt him a lot,” Mrs. Lu half whispered, half cried. “It’s been long, I know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter