Three

But I love you ♡ (하지만, 사랑한다)


13th  Nov 2012, Sunday Windy

 

Hyuna's POV

Morning rays peeked through my curtain and shone into my room. I’d been dreaming that I was flying high up in the sky. It felt great to be at the top of the world, looking down at the greenery and oceans. The view from above was indeed picturesque. Everything else seemed to be miniature. Then, I heard a familiar voice calling my name, and it’s getting closer and closer, nearer and nearer.

 

I fought to ignore the blinding the sunbeam, but to no avail. “Hyuna-ah, it’s time to wake up, you lazy bum.” Jihyun Unnie whispered, tugging me gently. With my eyes still closing, I sat up reluctantly, indicating I was awake. “Don’t you dare go back to sleep, go wash up, quick.” After waking me up, she left and proceeded to the next room. So that was unnie calling me in my dream, I thought to myself, dragging my heavy foot to the washroom.

 

“Breakfast ready, but we’re running out of time. We shall eat it on our way.”  Jihyun unnie voice echoed through the hallway. Being our responsible leader, our jovial friend and also our meticulous sister, she always take good care of us, taking note of the slightest thing in our daily life, lightening our managers’ workload.

 

Munching on the French toasts unnie had prepared, our van soon stopped outside Cube Entertainment building. I sensed a long day ahead. Melon Awards is tomorrow, and we were invited as one of the performing guests along with a lot of other idol groups. As we stepped into our practice room, our dance teacher handed us an iPod and said, “Here’s the remix version of Volume Up. Get yourself familiarised with the song and I will show you the improvised choreography later. We only have four hours to practise as Hyuna will need to prepare for her Troublemaker performance as well. No time to lose, hwaiting!”

 

After four strenuous hours of practice, we’re finally done. I dropped onto the floor, panting. Though there were short breaks in between, my legs still felt like they were breaking. I can’t deny the fact that age’s really catching up with me.

“We’re leaving, have fun dancing for the next few hours, Hyuna-ah!” Jiyoon unnie said sarcastically. “Hmm, and what shall we eat later, Sohyunnie?”

“Unnieeeeee!” I whined, lying on the floor, too tired to even move an inch.

“Just take it as a date, my dear. Don’t forget you’re practising with YOUR Hyunseung not any other people!” Gayoon unnie continued to tease. The rest of the members laughed.

“You girls gotta stop making fun of her. Okay Hyuna, we have to go. Remember, don't overwork yourself. Here’s an energizer for you.” Jihyun unnie said as she passed me a can of Red Bull. “Hwaiting!” the rest of the members squealed in unison before leaving.

 

I rested for half an hour before looking for my Troublemaker partner. Walking out of our dancing studio, I heard laughter and bickerings coming from the Beast’s practice room.  Ah, Hyunseung must be inside, I thought to myself, walking towards the room.

 

“Yah! Give it back to me. Yah! Be careful don’t break it!” Junhyung pleaded.

“Look at how anxious this dude is!” Doojoon sniggered.

“It’s just a small keychain hyung, just let us have a look, we won’t possibly spoil it! Even if we do, I can buy you a new one!” Dongwoon hooted.

“Dongwoon-ah, it’s from our beloved sister-in-law. It cannot be replaced!” Yoseob cackled.

 

I was about to knock on their door when I heard their squabbling. Just then, Junhyung rushed out of the room hastily, nearly bumping onto me. “Ops, Sorry.” Realising it was me, he smiled sheepishly, “You’re here? Hyunseung’s inside.” My heart sank a little when I saw the keychain in his hand. Putting it into his pocket, he left for the washroom.

 

As soon as I stepped into their room, Kikwang shouted, “Ah, another sister-in-law is here!” I smiled shyly and looked around. Hyunseung was in his earphones, smoothing out his dance moves in one corner, oblivious of the commotion that happened minutes ago, while others were just lazing around. Hyunseung stopped his music when he saw me through the mirror reflection. “Baby, you’re here!” he chirped. He then turned to s and said, “Yah, you guys better get going, our dance teacher will be here anytime.” 


“I know, I know. Let’s go, my dongseangs. We don’t want to be lightbulbs, do we?” Doojoon said jokingly, signalling the others to leave the room with him.

 

Our dance teacher soon came and demonstrated to us the slight adjustments that were made to our usual choreography. After rounds and rounds of repetition, I still could not get the flow of the new choreography. Teacher Cho seemed to lose her patience. “Kim Hyuna! You called that dancing? Is your soul even here? Are you going up the stage with this kind of moves tomorrow?” She yelled. I couldn’t concentrate. I was affected by the conversation earlier on.

 

 “Sorry Miss Cho. You had a hard time today. Please go back and have a good rest. I’ll stay with her. I will make sure she gets it by tomorrow.” Hyunseung apologized on my behalf and assured her that we will put up a satisfactory performance tomorrow.

 

“You okay, baby?” Hyunseung asked in concern.

“I guess I am just too stress and tired.” I replied. “So sorry to make you stay back when you actually can go back and rest.”

“Who still needs rest when I have you? You know what? I purposely send Miss Cho away so that I can spend more time with you. Now that she’s gone, I can have you all to myself.” Hyunseung said, pulling me into his embrace.

 

I pinched his chubby cheeks. He never failed to cheer me up whenever I am feeling disastrous. He is always there when I felt that my world is tearing apart.

 

We continued practising and at last, I was slowly familiarizing with the choreography. “One last time and we can call it a day.” I sighed. My whole body is aching all over, but Hyunseung is always a perfectionist when it comes to dancing. He wouldn’t stop until everything is up to his expectation. Just as I was doing a complex spin, I lost the momentum and landed on the floor. I tried standing up, but I couldn’t. The pain was unbearable. “I think I hurt my ankle.” I cried in agony. Hyunseung immediately rushed over, carried me in his arms, and ran out of the studio.

 

“Sorry baby, it’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have made you practise so much when you’re already so tired. If not, this will not happen. It’s all because of me.” Hyunseung started recriminating himself in the taxi.

“It not your fault, darling. I wasn’t careful myself. It’s not that painful actually. And we are reaching the hospital soon. So don’t worry alright.” I faked out a smile, assuring him I was okay.

 

We soon reached the hospital, and the doctor gave me an injection, slowly subsiding my pain. “You’ve sprained your right ankle. Please don’t engage yourself in vigorous activities for a week until your ankle is fully recovered.” The doctor instructed.

“A week? But I have a performance tomorrow. Just give me some painkiller will do. I will rest after tomorrow.”

“NO! Even if you don’t want your leg, I still want them. Just listen to the doctor okay? What if it worsen, your leg might even get amputated.”

“Don’t exaggerate things, Hyunseung. It’s just a small sprain. I am okay, really. I don’t want all our efforts to go into waste. We practised so hard today. Furthermore, it will affect the whole programme flow if we backed out suddenly.”

 

After much pleading, Hyunseung and the doctor finally gave in, handed me some painkillers and made me promise that I will rest after tomorrow.

 

Hyunseung then send me back to my dorm, reminding me over and over again to eat those medicine and not to walk around when there isn’t a need to. “I know, I know. You ‘re sounding more and more like my naggy granny already, baby.” I joked. “And remember, this is a secret between us. Don’t you dare breathe a word to our managers and members, if not I won’t talk to you forever.” I threatened.

“Okay okay, but remember to take your medicine huh!” he repeated the same sentence for the umpteenth time and gave me a peck on my forehead before leaving.

 

I tiptoed back into my room. Luckily all my members were already in their dreamland. I quickly washed up, took my medicine, and then joined them in my dreamland.

 

 

 

***

14th  Nov 2012, Monday, Rainy

 

It’s Melon Awards. All the different idol groups (Beast, Super Junior, Teen Top, Miss A, Sistar, BAP, Kara, MBlaq etc.) were all in their respective rooms waiting, preparing to give their best performances up on stage.  “4minute, you girls are next.” The PD shouted. I quickly swallowed down two painkillers when no one was watching and then proceeded to the main stage with my members.

 

“How’s your ankle?” Hyunseung asked softly when he saw me coming down the stage after 4minute performance ended. I gave him an okay sign and a wink, ensuring him I was okay as we get ready for our Troublemaker’s performance.

 

Unfortunately, in the midst of our Troublemaker’s item, the effect of the painkiller started to wear off. I bit my lips, trying to endure the sudden pain engulfing me. Hyunseung sensed something amiss. Backfacing the audiences, he mouthed to me to stop exerting strength on my right foot, and just sway to the beat, while he made some impromptu changes to the choreography, impressing the audiences with his swift dance moves. It finally ended. Hyunseung immediately helped me to the backstage, put me down on a chair, and ran to find ice cubes to attend to my swollen ankle.

 

I heard giggles coming from behind a pillar. Those familiar giggles. They once accompanied me through my lonely trainee days, but it’s now piercing to the ear.

 

A tear rolled down my check.

 

My ankle hurts.

 

But my heart hurts even more.

_______________

Thanks to those who had subscribed and commented. Really appreciate that :)