Chapter 18

Cruel Fairytale [On Hiatus]

“Vic! Someone’s looking for you. And he’s handsome.” Luna came in to the staff’s rest area and told me. I know whose she’s talking about. It must be Nichkhun. I pick up my stuffs and walks out after I bid my goodbyes to Luna.

“Hi.” Both of us say as I stop in front of him. Then silence comes next. It was awkward between us.

“Shall we go?” I fake a cough before I say that.

“Yes.” He said, and both of us walk to the centre to fetch Kayden together.

“Are you comfortable living in the hostel?” He asks.

“Yeah.”

“Do you need anything? Like a mattress or a bed? Because I think my bed is too small for you and Kayden.”

“Do you have an extra mattress or bed?” I ask. If there is an extra mattress or bed, I hope he could use it for himself. Because last night, he slept on the couch, and it must not be comfortable.

“No, but if you need it, I can go and buy it for you.”

“No, it’s okay. We’re comfortable. Thank you.” I say, and not long after, I continue, “But I think we should buy one, for you.”

“Me?”

“You must be feeling uncomfortable sleeping on the couch.”

“The couch is quite comfortable.” He says, and I can see him fidgeting. I know he lied. He must have felt uncomfortable, but doesn’t want to show it out.

Before I could say anything else, someone called us. “Khun oppa! Qian!” It’s Yoona. Now then I realise that we are outside the centre.

The three of us brought Kayden and Erin back to the hostel. When we reach the hostel, Nichkhun brings Kayden to shower, while Yoona and I went to prepare dinner. I was supposed to bring Kayden to shower, but Kayden wanted Nichkhun. My first thought was, give them some bonding time.

During dinner, I’ve gotten more comfortable with the guys. They joke around, play around, talk about their trainings earlier, and some random topics. It’s like we’re back to few years ago.

After dinner, everyone resume what they were doing earlier, while Nichkhun teach Kayden Korean syllabus. I look at them, and I wonder, if that incident 5 years ago didn’t happened, will we still be happy? Will we have our own family by now?

I snap out of my thoughts when someone tapped me on my shoulder. I turned around, and it’s Taec.

“Khun seems happy lately.”

“Happy?”

“You know the reason why.” He says, and I know he’s referring to me and Kayden.

“I don’t know what happened to the both of you on Monday, but after that night, Khun is different. He doesn’t concentrate on his training, he doesn’t talk a lot.” He says, and I do not know how I should react. I just stay silent.

“I just want you to know, that he didn’t forget about you all these years. You are important to Khun.”

***

“Okay, Kayden, go to sleep.” I say as I close the storybook. He lies down obediently and closes his eyes. I pull the blanket up, making sure that he’s covered and warm. I stayed on the bed until he’s asleep, then I quietly move out of the bed and walk out of the room.

I was glad that Nichkhun is still up and not asleep yet, because I need to borrow something from him.

“Um… Nichkhun?” I say, since he didn’t notice me when I walked towards the couch.

He straightaway turns towards me. “Why aren’t you asleep? It’s late.”

“Same to you.” I say, knowing that it’s late.

“Do you need anything?” He asks, and I nod.

“Can I borrow your laptop?” I ask, since I saw his laptop on the desk in the room.

“Sure. You can just use it. I’ll write down the password for you.” He says and he grabs a pen that is on the coffee table. He writes down the password and passes it to me.

“Thanks.”

He mumbles something after I thanked him, but I can’t hear it clearly.

“What?”

“You’re welcome.” He answers. I nod and walk back to the room.

I boot up his laptop. I look at the paper he passes me for the password. I was surprised when I saw the password combination. 20090320. It is the date when I left Korea, the day that was supposed to be our graduation day.

I shook my head. It must be a coincidence. These eight numbers doesn’t mean that it is a date. It could be other numbers that he’s affiliated to. I stop thinking about it and types in the password.

And I got another surprise.

It was a picture of us, Nichkhun and me, when we were still dating. He didn’t forget about you all these years. Taec’s words came ringing by my ears. So does that means, that the password combination isn’t a coincidence? Does that means, that he didn’t stop loving me throughout these years?

No. I shouldn’t think about it. I push those thoughts behind and proceed to what I wanted to do earlier. I click on the internet and started searching for an apartment.

***

“I’m sorry that I bother you.” I say, feeling apologetic since I know that it’s the only day off she has this week and I still ask for her help when she could just go for a date.

“No problem unnie! Besides, Changmin is not in town. He went for a business trip to Hong Kong for a month. So, I have nothing to do today actually.”

Oh. No wonder Changmin haven’t come and find me after I moved out. I thought he was angry at me.

“Didn’t he call you?” Yeonhee asks, and I shook my head.

“This guy… I told him to call you. Well, nevermind. He said that he’s sorry because of his mom and putting you in such position.”

“But I’m thankful that he’s been taking care of me these few years.”

“Okay, I’ll tell him that.” She says. Then we continue our hunt for apartment.

“Does Nichkhun know?” Yeonhee asks, and I shook my head. “If I tell him, he will insist on us staying there, but I do not want to. I don’t want to bother him.”

“But he doesn’t think you are bothering him, right?” I nod. But I know I am. He feels uncomfortable sleeping on the couch, but he doesn’t even tell me. “I’m taking his room, I’m invading his personal space, and I know I should not bother him any further.”

She heaves a sigh. “I know I can’t argue with you. I will never win.” She says, and I smile at her statement. She’s really a nice girl, and I’m happy for Changmin. She’s the right girl for him.

***

“How is it?” Yeonhee asks, and I shrug.

“I don’t know. This apartment has the cheapest rent, but it’s quite inconvenient since it’s quite a distance from my workplace and Kayden’s Child Care Centre. And this is quite near, but it cost me more than half of my monthly salary. I’m afraid that it might be difficult to pay for Kayden’s current and future school fees.” I say, and she nods.

“I think this is a good one. I can afford the rent, and it’s quite near to my workplace and Kayden’s Centre. It’s convenient.” I say as I point out to an apartment picture on the leaflet that both of us are holding. She looks at me in horror.

“NO IT’S NOT! Don’t forget that the environment there is so run down and scary! Didn’t you see that the streets were so eerie? And there aren’t even a lot of people staying there!”

“But it’s convenient for me. And the landlord is nice, too.” I say. We went to the apartment and met the landlord earlier, and she’s really nice.

“I know the landlord is nice but-”

“Then this is it! I’m going to move in to this apartment.” I smile and say, making my decision.

***

A/N:

Here's the second update! As I promised :)

Not much interactions between the main characters in this and the last chapter.

And I think this story is going too slow.

I'll speed up from the next chapter.

Thanks to all that are still reading and appreciating this story :D

Encouraging comments are appreciated :)
HottestPudding signing off xoxo