Chapter 16

Cruel Fairytale [On Hiatus]

Victoria a.k.a. Song Qian

“Hi, I’m Dawson.” He said as he stood up beside me, pulling out a chair for me.

“Thank you. I’m Victoria.” I thanked him and introduced myself as I took the seat. He then took a seat in front of me.

“Yeah, I know. I heard about you from Auntie Shim. Here, make your order.” He said, and passed me a set of menu.

I flipped through the menu, looking at the variety of food. I’ve got myself stunned when I look at the price. The food here are so expensive.

“Have you decided what to eat?” He asked, and I flip through the menu again. I look at the cheapest main course available in the restaurant, and told him that I would order that. He nods and orders for us.

 He told me about himself and his family while we’re waiting for our food. He said that he’s a workaholic, and his parents wanted him to have a wife that would take care of him and make sure he doesn’t tire himself out because of work. All I did was staying silent and listen to him before the food arrives.

“Thank you.” I thanked the waiter in Japanese as he puts the dish down on the table.

“Dig in.” He says, and I nods. I took the utensils in my hands and started eating the food.

He continues telling me about him. Then, he said, “You’re beautiful, Victoria, and I know this is sudden, but”

I stopped myself from eating as his words surprised me. He holds onto my right hand in his. I feel uncomfortable, but I can’t just push him away, because I know that Mrs Shim is watching.

“Will you marry me?”

I was more stunned when he said that.

“W… Wh… What?”

He took out a velvet box with a ring in it. Did he prepare this early? But we only met today!

“Come on. I know you wanted to. Otherwise you wouldn’t come for this dinner.” What is he saying?

“You are a mother. You have a son. But you’re not married. You should appreciate that a guy like me is still willing to marry you.”

Is he… insulting me?

I don’t know what to feel. Angry? Depress? Yes, I’m angry, angry at him for insulting me. And I’m depressed, because what he said was true. I have a child, and there should be no one that has the right mind that want to be with me.

But still, it’s not right to insult me. He doesn’t know me.

I took my hand from his grasp. I wanted to reject, and scold him back for insulting me, but from the side of my eye, I can see someone looking at me closely. I look over, and saw Mrs Shim staring at me. It’s like she’s telling me to accept.

I don’t know what to do now.

“Come on.” He says and took my hand again. This time, he’s using his strength, and I can’t take my hand away from him.

“Please! Let go!” I plead, because I know I can’t fight with his strength, but he didn’t budge. I tried wriggling my hands out of his grasp, but not that vigorous that Mrs Shim can see.

“Please!”

“Didn’t you hear the lady asked you to let go?”

That voice… It can’t be.

Someone hold onto his arm, and he lets go immediately. I look up to the person. It’s really him. Nichkhun.

How… How does he know? Is it Changmin? But… why? Why is he here?

“She’s mine.” The statement from Nichkhun brings me back from my thoughts. He took my hands and pulls me. Stunned, I follow him.

When we’re outside, I realised what had happened, and took my hand out of his grasp. “Why are you here?” I ask coldly.

“Didn’t you want to leave?” He asks back. Though I wanted to leave, because Dawson was scaring me during dinner, but still, he shouldn’t be here.

“Why are you here?” I asked again, with the same tone.

“I’m not giving up on you.”

“I told you, I don’t trust you.”

He didn’t say anything else and just look into my eyes. Unable to look at him any further, I turned around and left. I only took a few steps before he spins me around. The next thing I know, I’m in a warm set of arms. He’s hugging me, and I didn’t even move away.

“I’ll earn your trust back.” He said by my ears, and I still remain the same, still in his arms, and not even using my strength to be away from him.

“Victoria!” Someone called me, and he releases me from the hug. Before I turn to the person that called me, my cheeks were in pain. I turned to look back at the person. It’s Mrs Shim. She slapped me?

"What are you doing madam!?!" I heard Nichkhun said in Japanese as I'm now behind him. He pulled me behind his back. Is he trying to protect me?

I stand in front of him and face the angry Mrs Shim. "Mrs Shim, I'm sorry I ruined the dinner. I-"

"You really are a scheming woman." She said, and I just stay silent. She doesn't like me, I know that. And I know that even if I said anything now, it will not change anything.

"You have my son date you. Even if you have a son, he still dates you. I don't know what thing he likes about you, but at least he realised that you're not the one for him. Now, you have a Japanese man, and you still agree to the dinner? You really are scheming, wanting the richest from Dawson, and at the same time, having this Japanese man!"

"It's not-"

"Hey! You haven't gotten the situation right! How could you accuse her!?!!" Nichkhun says, in Korean. I turned around and looked at him, stopping him from speaking any further.

"Nichkhun! Leave! Now!"

"But-"

"Leave!" I said and glares at him. He saw me and turns around to leave. I looked at his back as he leaves.

"Hah! So he's a Korean then. I bet he's rich, too." I heard Mrs Shim said, and I turned around to face her. She really thinks I'm a gold-digger.

"Victoria, I want you to leave Changmin's house."

"Huh? I didn't-" Unknowingly, I started speaking up, trying to explain the situation to her, but she cuts my words.

"I have always wanted you to leave the house. Because of you, my son and I are not in a good terms. Tonight’s dinner was the same. If you accept Dawson, you would need to leave the house. " She said, and I understand what she meant. Changmin must have taken my side, letting me stay with him even though his mom refuses. She hopes that tonight’s dinner will be a success, and I will be with Dawson, and leaving the house, leaving Changmin as far as I can.

"And you are in between my son and Yeonhee's relationship. So, I want you to leave that house, by tonight."

"I understand. I won't bother Changmin anymore." I said and bows to her. Though it's really a rush, but she really doesn't want me to stay there. Changmin is a good friend, and I must have brought down his and Mrs Shim's relationship. I should stop bothering him, and affect them anymore.

"Good." She said and left.

I turned around to leave, but stopped when I saw Nichkhun, standing not far from here. Why hasn't he left?

He walks towards me, and I just stood on the same spot. I wanted to walk away, but I don't know what happened to me. It seems like my body doesn't even listens to me.

"Live with me."

So he heard the conversation.

"I'll stay at a hotel."

"Just stay with me."

"I don't want to bother you."

"It's not! Just come and live with me. Just... I want to be close to Kayden." He said, which makes me think of Kayden.

I thought about Kayden, and the decisions I have.

And I know, that whichever decision I made will definitely change my life.

***

“Is Kayden and Omma staying with Nichkhun ajusshi?” Kayden asked as we’re in the cab.

“Yes.” I answered, and gotten a delightful excitement from him. Nichkhun just pats his head and smile.

It’s already late when I went back and pack our things. Changmin doesn’t know that we’re leaving since he’s already asleep. He will be surprised the next morning that we’re gone. I took out my phone and text him, thanking him for taking care of me these few years.

I look at Kayden as he yawns loudly. “Kayden, come, sleep.” I said as I pulled him over to me. Instead of leaning on me and sleep, he leans closer to Nichkhun. “Kayden wants Nichkhun ajusshi.” He says, and closed his eyes.

I wanted to protest, as I don’t want to bother Nichkhun any further. But he shook his head. “Let him.”

We get off the cab when we reach, and went to the trunk to get the luggage. Nichkhun carried the luggage from the trunk to the ground. I thanked him and pulled it towards his house. He went to the passenger seat and carried the sleeping Kayden. I feel someone pull on my luggage before I could walk towards the entrance. Nichkhun pull it while carrying Kayden. I pulled back, since he’s carrying Kayden, and it will be difficult for him to take the luggage. But he uses his strength against me, and all I could do is let him be. There’s no point fighting with him over who takes the luggage.

When we’re inside, he walks towards a room and I followed after him.

“This is my room. You and Kayden can sleep here.” He says as he carefully puts the sleeping Kayden on the bed. It’s a single bed. If he lets us sleep here, then where is he going to sleep?

“Then, where are you going to sleep?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll sleep on the couch outside.” He answers, and I feel bad about it.

“Don’t worry. Just stay here.” He says, while I just nod.

“Good night.” He says before he close the door. I lay myself on the bed, beside Kayden. I look at him, but was reminded of Nichkhun. He really looks like him.

I think back to what happened today. Why can’t I be like last few weeks, where I can always refuse him, reject him, keep him away from me? Now, I’m in his house, I just accept and nod at what he says.

But I know the reason.

Because I still love him.