Chapter 15

Cruel Fairytale [On Hiatus]

“Appa!”

“Hey Kayden ah!”

I carry Kayden up as he runs towards me.

“Appa! Where is Omma? Where is Nichkhun Ajusshi?” He asks after I carried him up.

Qian had asked me to fetch Kayden from the Child Care Centre. She said she have to help Luna in something. I know she’s just trying to find excuses to come and fetch Kayden, and see Nichkhun.

And that’s another problem. Nichkhun wasn’t here either. Maybe because of their talk last night, that Nichkhun might not be here. I do not know what happened though, but there must be something that had happened, that cause both of them feeling so dejected.

“Omma have to help Luna imo. Nichkhun ajusshi is working.” I said, though I do not really know about Nichkhun. I do not want to Kayden’s cheerful mood to be affected because of his parents.

“Then are we going home?”

“Yes.”

“Can we wait until Erin’s appa and omma come? Erin will feel lonely.” Kayden said as he uses his little hands to point towards a little girl that is sitting down by the door. She must be Erin.

“Okay.” I said, as I put him down. He ran to Erin, and they started playing with each other. When I heard their conversation, they were speaking in Korean. She must be the Korean kid that Kayden always talk about before I went for business trip.

Oh! I remember her! She’s the kid that Nichkhun brought him the first time we met.

“Erin!” I heard someone called after a few minutes. My gaze move from the kids to the person who had just called out to her.

“Omma! Appa!”

I stood up as I saw them.

“Hi. Are you friends of Nichkhun’s?” I asked in Korean. They looked at me, and then looked at each other, and back to me again. They man speaks first.

“Yes. You must be Changmin. I’m Taecyeon, and this is my wife, Yoona. Thanks for helping Nichkhun.” He said. Nichkhun must have told them that I tried convincing him in making up with Qian.

“Taecyeon ajusshi! Yoona imo!”

“Hey Kayden!” Taecyeon said, and Yoona pats on Kayden’s head.

“Where is Nichkhun Ajusshi working at? Can Kayden go find Nichkhun Ajusshi? Kayden miss Nichkhun ajusshi.” Kayden asked them. I was surprised when he asked. Maybe because they have a strong bond now. Nichkhun is his father after all.

“Nichkhun Ajusshi? Didn’t he-?” Yoona speaks first as he heard Kayden’s question, and I saw Taecyeon nudging her, stopping her from saying anything. I looked at them, waiting for them to continue.

“Nichkhun ajusshi is very busy now. He will come and play with you next time.” Taecyeon said.

“Okay.” Kayden said sadly. He must have really missed Nichkhun.

“We should go home now.” I said as I carry Kayden up. “Bye Taecyeon and Yoona. It’s nice meeting you.”

“Good-bye.”

Before I left the Child Care Centre, I turn back to them. I asked them a question that I don’t think I will ask from Qian now.

“Can you give me Nichkhun’s number?”

***

“Is Nichkhun Ajusshi still working? Kayden miss Nichkhun Ajusshi.” I listen to Kayden as he speaks on the phone with Nichkhun.

I’ve gotten his phone number earlier from Taecyeon and Yoona. When we reach home, seeing Kayden feeling sad since he can’t see Nichkhun, I decided to make a call to him straightaway, and passed it to Kayden since I know he would want to talk with him.

“Can Kayden see Nichkhun Ajusshi tomorrow?”

“Then can Kayden see Nichkhun Ajusshi the day after tomorrow?” It seems like Nichkhun can’t see Kayden tomorrow. I don’t know whether it’s his excuse or he’s really unable to see him.

“Okay! Kayden will be very obedient and go take shower now!” He said and then passed the phone to me. Kayden really listens to him well. He then carry his small little backpack back to his room.

“Hello? Nichkhun?” I put the receiver by my ears and checks whether he’s still on the line.

“Yeah, Changmin?”

“Did something happen last night?” I asked, straightforwardly. He just keeps silent, so I decided to change the topic.

“Are you busy today? Kayden really wanted to see you just now.”

“Yeah…” That’s all he says.

“Look, Nichkhun. I don’t know what happened last night, since none of you wanted to tell me. But are you giving up at this point?”

“No, I’m not. I needed some time to think.”

“Well, there’s no time for that.” I said, and I know the things I’m going to say next is going to bring some trouble for Qian, and some hate from my mom.

“She’s going for a blind date tomorrow.”