Chapter 14

Cruel Fairytale [On Hiatus]

“Does Vic unnie knows about it?” Yeonhee asked.

We were talking on the phone, and I told her about the encounter with Nichkhun yesterday, and what I have talked to him this morning.

“No.”

“You should tell her.” She said, and I agree with her. I should tell her before she makes the wrong decision. She still loves him, seeing her reactions from yesterday when she saw him. Though he did something wrong and hurt her, but seeing him yesterday, still loving her and trying to get her to forgive him, I know I should helped them.

“But how could you just help him and try to make unnie reconcile with him? He has a child, and might be married with the woman that hurt unnie 5 years ago!” Yeonhee suddenly said with anger in her voice, and I was startled for a moment.

“He’s not wearing a ring, so that means he’s not married.”

“But still, he has a child!” She reminded me, and I feel so stupid after that. She’s right. He has a child, with someone else. Why am I trying to help them?

I look down and messed up my hair in frustration. “I totally forgot about that! I thought making them back together was the right thing. Kayden was his son too! I was just trying to mend a broken family.”

I heard a sigh from her through the phone. “I understand, I’m not blaming you. I’m just worried about unnie getting hurt again.”

“I know.”

***

I was supposed to tell her that day, but I delayed it until I’m back in Japan.

And that’s not the first thing I told her when I reached Japan either, because when I reached back home, something else, or rather someone else, gave me a surprise.

“Mom! Why didn’t you tell me you’re coming?” I said as I put down my luggage and went forward to give her a kiss.

“I told Victoria, but apparently, she didn’t tell you.” She said as she roams around the house. From the way she’s acting, I can see that she’s kind of inspecting the house. Then, Qian walked out of the kitchen with a cup of drink for my mom.

I looked at her questioningly, and she looked at my mom and shrugs. She doesn’t know why she’s here either.

“Mrs Shim, here’s your drink.”

“Just put it on the coffee table.” Mom said as she took a seat on the couch, and Qian put it on the coffee table.

I know Mom doesn’t like Qian, ever since I introduced her as my girlfriend back in China. I don’t understand why she doesn’t like her. We’re not a rich family like some other drama where rich mother will ask the son’s poor girlfriend to leave because of status difference. She just doesn’t like Chinese. She wanted me to be with a Korean rather than some other nationality.

When I told her that I’m back with her again, she disagreed much, and came straightaway from Korea to Japan just to see whether I said is the truth. Not only that she saw us back together, we’re living together, and there’s Kayden too. He’s just 1 years old that time.

When she saw Kayden, she got furious, saying I shouldn’t be with someone that has a child with someone else. She demands a break up, but I can’t, because at that time, I really loved her. It takes some time for my mom to understand that I loved her. She left and went back to Korea, since she knows that I have made my decision and she can’t change that.

“Why are you here?” I ask as I took a seat beside her. There’s always something she wants to do with me or say to me every time she come to Japan. There isn’t any one time that she would just come and see me because she misses me.

“Plan your marriage! It’s time for you to get married.”

“Marriage?!” I asked, surprised at what she’s been here for.

“You and Yeonhee have been dating for 2 years! She’s a nice girl, you shouldn’t let her wait.”

When she heard the news of Qian and I broke up, and I have been dating Yeonhee, she came to Japan to see Yeonhee too. When she knew that Yeonhee was actually a Korean that came to Japan for further studies when she was young, she liked her right away. Of course, I expected as much. Yeonhee is a Korean.

“You shouldn’t just come here and tell me that you came for marriage planning. I haven’t even proposed to her yet!”

“Then propose to her now! What are you waiting for?” She asked, and I don’t know how to answer her. I love Yeonhee, I really do, but I don’t think mom should just come and decide all these marriage plans so suddenly. Marriage hasn’t come into my mind yet.

“Mom, I’m still young. Maybe a year later or two.” I said, and I meant it. I don’t think now is a right time to get married for me.

“You sure?”

“Yes!” I said, hopefully she stopped talking about the marriage plans.

“Okay then. Next, Victoria!” She said and turned her attention to Qian. Then I realised that I have forgotten that Qian is still here, listening to our conversation.

“Huh?” Qian said, and I looked at my mom questioningly too. What does she meant by her statement?

She took out a folder and placed the photos that are in the folder on the coffee table. I looked at them, and all of them are photos of man. At that moment, I know what my mom was trying to do.

“Mom! Why are you doing this?” I asked, and got a little furious at her actions. She was trying to introduce guys to Qian, and hope she will disappear out of my life.

The last time she came, she told me to tell Qian to leave the house and stay somewhere else, and not to bother me anymore. But I can’t. I know I can’t. I promised her that I will give Kayden a future, being his father.

“I was just trying to help Victoria getting a boyfriend.” She said and looked at me innocently, like she doesn’t know what I mean and what I got furious for. She then looked back at Qian and took a picture up.

“Victoria, this guy is a son of my friend. He’s 32. He’s good-looking, and he has a stable income. I told him about you and show him your picture, and he likes you straightaway. He doesn’t mind if you have a child too, because he loves kids. He is now in Japan. If you are okay with it, I would like you to meet him on Wednesday.”

I looked at Qian, and saw her looking so uncomfortable when mom said that. But Qian answered her before I could stop my mom.

“Okay.” She answered, and I feel like knocking her head for being so stupid.

“Great! Then I’ll-” Before my mom could finished her sentence, Qian’s phone rang.

“I’m sorry.” She said, and she immediately put it on silent mode and turned her attention back to my mom.

“Why aren’t you picking it up? It might be Kayden.” I said, knowing that Kayden is out with Nichkhun. It’s already 6:30PM, and seeing Kayden not at home, I knew he must be with him. That is not the only reason that I said that. I was trying to get Victoria out of the room.

She looked at me, then back to my mom. My mom gave her a nod, meaning that she’s allowing her to pick up the phone call that interrupted their conversation. I wanted to give her a lecture. Why must she keep listen to everything my mom say? She’s not even her maid or her employee.

She went to the kitchen to pick up the call. Making sure that she’s unable to hear us, I started speaking. “Mom! Why are you trying to do this to her?!”

“She’s not even complaining! Why are you getting so worked up? Is it because of her that you won’t think about marrying Yeonhee?” I don’t understand why she is trying to drag Yeonhee in.

“You’re out of topic!”

“Then don’t stop me! She’s okay with it and I’m happy with it too.” She said, and I don’t know what to say that will stop her from doing these things to Qian. My mom is right though, Qian stupidly agreed.

“Victoria!” She shouted, and Qian rush out from the kitchen immediately.

“Yes, Mrs Shim?” She said after she took her seat.

“As I was saying, I’ll arrange the meeting for you at Sky Tower Dining, 7PM.”

“Okay.”

Unable to listen to my mom’s constant ‘help’ and Qian agreeing to whatever she say, I get up and went back to my room after calling the housekeeper to prepare dinner.

***

We had our late dinner with the same conversation form before, but I shut myself out from it.

After the dinner, my mom went back to her hotel, since she doesn’t like to stay here even if I offered her.

Then there’s left the two of us. I told her about the meeting I had with Nichkhun, that I was trying to help. At first, I thought she would blame me for being a busybody, but she didn’t. Instead, she told me that it’s okay, and told me what actually happened 5 years ago. She knew it from the girl that Nichkhun ‘cheated’ with. It was all lies, and I feel myself getting relieved. I didn’t help the wrong person after all.

I asked her about their ‘bonding’ time these 2 weeks, and she just tell me that Kayden’s happy to have an additional someone to play with. From her response, I know that she has not forgiven him.

I drive her to fetch Kayden from Nichkhun’s place. After Nichkhun carefully place Kayden on the backseat and closed the door, I heard him stopping Qian. He wanted to have a talk with her. Qian disagreed immediately, giving the reason that I am waiting. After I heard what she said, I wind down the window and told her that I can wait, and convinced her to talk to him.

I looked at them as they talked, and see Qian not giving any expression to him. She still can’t forgive him.

She walked back to the car, and I saw Nichkhun, looking so depressed, which reflects the expression of Qian. She looks so depressed too.

“Are you okay?” That’s the first thing I asked her when she came back to the car. I saw a tear slips down from her eye, but she wiped it away as quickly as it flows out. She nods her head, “Let’s go back.”

And that is all she says during our ride back.