[Jongtae] Textbook Situations

[SHINee] One-Shot Collection

Jonghyun and Taemin were in deeeep . They weren't supposed to be gay. Nevermind the fact that they both had girlfriends.

Taeyeon was Taemin's best friend, and also Jonghyun's girlfriend. Gwiboon was Taemin's girlfriend. But Jonghyun didn't see the appeal personally. She was too loud and opinionated. The only reason he tolerated her because she was his best friend Minho's sister.

Jonghyun and Taemin, as they appeared to the rest of their circle of friends, hated each other. But that was so far from reality that Jonghyun almost laughed every time they glared at each other in the hallways. Or said something mean to the other. Or punched the other in the face. Taemin was sometimes a little too rough with those.

Taemin's lips distracted Jonghyun from his thoughts and he smiled into the kiss, eager to start their normal routine.

////////

The next day at school, Jonghyun found Taeyeon at his locker. She had something hidden behind her back, and instantly Jonghyun knew something was up.

It turned out to be a homemade lunch box. Taeyeon beamed, obviously proud of herself for not burning anything.

      "Happy anniversary oppa~," she said warmly and Jonghyun instantly felt bad about forgetting that it was their 6 month anniversary. He smiled back at her weakly.

      "Err, happy anniversary baby," he kissed her lips and had to fight back disgust. It wasn't a recent development, but Jonghyun had tried to convince himself that it was only fleeting. After a couple of hours of feeling sick with Taeyeon's cutesy shy-girl act though, Jonghyun finally realized he might just have a problem.

He tried as hard as he possibly could to deny the fact that he'd developed real feelings for Taemin. But nothing he did seemed to work. At least, not until Junghee entered the picture.

Junghee was, hands down, the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. She was everything he'd ever wanted in a girl. Physically, that is. And her personality, he was quickly coming to discover, was the same way.

She provided a nice distraction. Until Taemin confronted him one day after school.

  "Dude. What the ?" angrily, Taemin shoved Jonghyun into the brick wall. "Why have you been avoiding me? And please.. spare me the bull."

Miserably, Jonghyun sighed. He wasn't at all ready to confront his feelings.

      "I'm in love with you," for a while, Taemin stood there gaping stupidly and blinking rapidly. Then he smiled.

      "Why didn't you say something earlier? You could've saved yourself the trouble of wondering. I feel the same way," Jonghyun felt his heart start galloping in his chest and he smiled widely. He ignored the part of him that whispered doubts about Taemin in his ears. He wasn't going to let anything ruin his good mood.

If Jonghyun thought things would change between them, he was sorely disappointed. Things progressed, sure. But not the way Jonghyun had hoped they would. Taemin promised he was going to break it off with Gwiboon. After 2 months of the same old 'she's not ready for it', however, Jonghyun was starting to think Taemin would never break up with Gwiboon. It was sickeningly cliche, and Jonghyun felt stupid for falling for the act.

They started arguing frequently. Jonghyun hated feeling so insecure and clingy, but he couldn't help it. Finally, not able to take any more of the situation, he had asked Taemin to come over so they could talk things out.

Taemin looked irritated when he came into Jonghyun's living room, but his expression turned serious when he saw Jonghyun on the couch with his arms around his knees. He had a wistful, sad expression on his face.

      "Taemin.. I.. I don't think things are working. I want to break... whatever this is off," Jonghyun figured there was no use beating around the bush. Taemin spluttered in surprise, not expecting Jonghyun's words. He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed, sitting down next to Jonghyun.

    "I promise, I'll try harder. Just give me a chance. I love you, Jonghyun," Taemin begged. Jonghyun couldn't decide whether to trust Taemin or not. He'd already lied once.

    "I.. fine. Alright," Jonghyun smiled at Taemin's enthusiasm, but it was short lived when Taemin kissed him on the lips fully. He picked Taemin up and went to the bedroom, intending to have lots of awesome make-up . But it never even got past taking each other's clothes off.

Without an invitation, Gwiboon and Taeyeon burst into the room, and Taemin froze in his actions. Jonghyun sat back, trying to look impassive to mask his pain.  He watched the guilt and horror flicker on Taemin's face and right then, he had a strong feeling this wasn't going to end well for him and Taemin. It was a textbook case of cheaters caught in the act.

Gwiboon was screaming, and Taeyeon looked unmeasurably hurt by the betrayal. It didn't impact him as much as wondering if Taemin was going to do what he said and break it off with Gwiboon. He had the perfect chance, here and now. Dimly, Jonghyun heard something about moving the conversation (Jonghyun almost snorted at her choice of words) to the living room and got up to put his shirt back on.

He tried to catch Taemin's eye, silently asking about where they as a couple stood.Taemin refused to look at him. The feeling it wasn't going to end well grew stronger.

Taemin stood in the middle of Jonghyun's living room, staring back and forth between Gwiboon and Jonghyun. Jonghyun knew Taemin saw the vulnerability in Gwiboon's eyes. He could also see Taemin's resolve to end things between them crumbling into dust. He turned red from shame and embarrassment. And anger. Oh yes. He was angry at Taemin. Almost bordering on feeling violent towards the younger boy.

      "Goddamn it, Taemin. Answer me. Do you love him?" the other unspoken question ("Do you love me?") was crystal clear. Taemin turned to a painfully hopeful, and secretly angry, Jonghyun.

      "No," he finally admitted emotionlessly, feeling himself break a little at the blatant lie. It pained him beyond words to see the love and hope in Jonghyun's eyes die. The anger finally burst forth and Jonghyun stood up suddenly. Taeyeon hesitantly came to stand beside him, knowing that their conversation would come later.

      "I never want to see either of you in my house ever again," Jonghyun's voice cracked. Gwiboon looked satisfied with herself and Taemin looked absolutely miserable. He tried looking at Jonghyun, hoping to convey a silent apology, but Jonghyun refused to meet his eyes. Turnabout is fair play, so to speak.

    "Leave. Now," Taemin's eyes watered and he nodded, knowing that he deserved all of Jonghyun's anger. Gwiboon wrapped her arms around him, and they walked out the door. Taemin couldn't even bring himself to look back and take a good look at Jonghyun.

Taeyeon watched them leave before turning and looking at Jonghyun. He looked back at her, his handsome features arranged in sorrowful sympathy.

    "I'm sorry, Taeyeon. Even if Taemin's too afraid to admit his feelings out loud, I'm not. I don't love you anymore, and  I can't hide it any longer," she really tried to hold in her pain, but ultimately failed. Jonghyun still wrapped his arms around her gently and whispered 'I'm sorry' over and over. He didn't say they could still be friends. Any one who's ever tried to be friends with their ex knows it's useless. It's still awkward.

After that day, Jonghyun didn't have to pretend to hate Taemin any more. He made sure his punches were rough. He sneered in disgust whenever he saw Taemin in the halls. He moved if Taemin tried to sit at the same lunch table. He made sure the younger boy knew he wasn't pretending.

Junghee became a new best friend for him. She was his ideal girl, sure. But he no longer tried to force himself to like her as more than a friend. He was certain of his preference now. He was just struggling to come to terms with it. And Junghee, surprisingly, was okay with that. She tried as much as she could to help him out.

On one of their dates as friends, Junghee looked at Jonghyun's mopey self and decided she couldn't stand another minute of it. It was way past time to end all the bull, in her opinion.

     "You know, I think I know someone I could hook you up with," she exclaimed and Jonghyun groaned.

    "No more. Please, I've had enough of your 'hook ups' to last a lifetime," his forehead thunked on the glass table and he sighed. "I think I'm okay with being alone." Junghee frowned.

    "Well, even if you don't hook up with him.. Dude, you need some more male friends. Friends who aren't associated with Taemin," she quickly added, seeing the nonplussed expression on Jonghyun's face. He couldn't argue, though, since Minho had decided not to hang out with Jonghyun anymore (more than likely at Gwiboon's request).

    "Fine. Give your friend my number and we'll set up a meeting," Junghee smirked, satisfied.

    "Awesome. Eunsook will be pretty happy that Jinki's finally getting out of the apartment some," Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at the names. "Eunsook is my girlfriend. But I like dudes too." Junghee shrugged, and Jonghyun let the matter drop. He was the last person to judge.

Later that day, he received an unfamiliar text.

Hey, is this Jonghyun?

Quickly, he replied. Yeah. Jinki?


Lol. How'd you know? Jonghyun smiled.

I'm psychic. ;)

Really? Ooh, then what am I thinking right now? Jonghyun chuckled a little and his smile grew wider.

Well.. My ability only works when it wants to, you see. Jonghyun was full on grinning at Jinki's reply.

I see. Well, Mr. Psychic, you should've read my thoughts. I was thinking.. maybe we could have dinner at one of my favorite places? Just as friends. I don't think I'm ready for a relationship. Jonghyun found himself nodding in agreement.

Sounds good. Text me the details and I'll meet you there. ^^ For the first time in a while, Jonghyun was excited to meet someone. He was ready to see what the future brought, no matter what it was.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Oh wow. Lol. This kinda . Especially the ending. Sorry. D: I actually did try for this, despite what you may think.

I wrote this based on a prompt (Totally strayed from it, too. T_T) from my umma, Isadora_Quagmire. Who promises me food and spoils me and stuff. It's kinda awesome, guise. 8D

(On a side note... OMFG. Infinite's new song "The Chaser" is ING. AWESOME. )

~~

Til next time, loves. ^o~