[Taekey] You Deserve to Have it All

[SHINee] One-Shot Collection

Gwiboon was strong-hearted and free-spirited. That was why, when it came to such tournaments as the ones her mother forced her to come to, she almost always went home and went to bed without supper. She couldn't face her mother and father always pointing out that she needed a man to marry her already.

She had no need of a man, she was fine by herself. She was self-sufficient and constantly defied her mother by helping out in the fields. Her dirty dresses always caused deadly silence at the dinner table. Sometimes, when she felt like making her mother especially furious with her, she wore men's clothing to work in. They made it easier to move around in.

But her parents never saw anything like that. All they saw was a defiant child who fought them at every step. It wasn't because she wanted to. It was because she had to.

She knew without a doubt that if her husband was as strong-willed and controlling as her parents, she would commit suicide before he had a chance to break her. No man would do that to her. No man would condition her to become pliant and docile. That was not her nature. And if she had her way, it never would be.

So no. If a person so asked, she neither wanted nor needed a man.

-

Another day, another tournament for men to try for her hand in marriage. Today, it was a combination tournament. Gwiboon always hated those, because it meant she had to stay longer. For that, she refused to clap for the men who won their battles. Her mother apologized for her, but Gwiboon wasn't even listening.

Then a brilliant idea struck her, and she had to keep her face carefully blank or else her mother would know something was up. She would have to make sure when she got back to their castle, but she didn't think she was wrong. It was completely within the rules.

But before she could, she heard loud cheering and looked down at the arena with growing dismay. A single man stood on the platform reserved for winners, and her heart sank when she realized she could never be free now. She was going to be married before she had a chance to save herself.

As duty required (and a look from her mother told her that she would be in serious trouble if she refused), she rose from her seat and made her way down to her new husband, dread filling her being even more with every step she took. She almost wanted to cry, but she wouldn't. She was a strong woman.

When she reached the winners' platform, the relief and happiness on her father's face made her want to recoil from disgust. Were her parents really so happy at her obvious misery? She held out her hand, indicating for the man to kiss it.

    "I would have your name, warrior," she said coldly, and blushed red with anger when the man chuckled.

    "My name is Taemin," his voice was unnaturally high, but Gwiboon brushed it aside. She withdrew her hand before the man had a chance to kiss it.

    "Indeed. May you find the hospitality of my hall to your liking," she tried to smile courteously, but failed. Taemin laughed at her once more and she clenched her fists, praying for the self-control necessary so that she wouldn't punch him.

    "Oh, I think I will, my lady. I think I will," there was something knowing in that smirk, and Gwiboon had to turn around and march stiffly back towards her mother, Taemin's mocking laughter ringing out behind her.

-

Taemin certainly had more manners than any man Gwiboon had ever come across, she could admit that much. He was.. tidy when he ate. There were no bits of food visible at all around his mouth, and Gwiboon found that kind of admirable.

Then there was the fact that he was a good conversationalist. It was almost like she was speaking to her best and most trusted servant again, even though she'd quit months ago. Gwiboon had been very sad and lackluster in the days following. Even her mother grew concerned.

She had good feelings until the all the feasting and merrymaking had ended. The wedding wouldn't be until tomorrow, but they would still have to share the same bedchamber. It wasn't that she was worried about him taking her honor. She just had a peculiar sense of modesty. She hadn't even really liked to undress in front of her maid.

When it came time to dress for bed, she stared at him, raising an eyebrow when he simply stared at her and didn't turn around.

    "Well? Will you watch me undress, then?" she asked it with a lot more confidence than she felt, but the point came across anyway. Taemin blushed and turned his back immediately, mumbling his apologies.

She heard the rustling of armor and the sounds of fabric, and when she finally turned around, Taemin was already in his bed, looking at her with an unreadable expression. She got into her own bed and turned her back to him. Before she drifted off to sleep she heard a soft "Sleep well, my lady". It was spoken so gently.

Yes, Taemin was different from any man that she had ever come across in these lands.

-

Her wedding was supposed to be a joyous occasion, but all Gwiboon could feel was despair. She felt like she was signing her own death warrant. She stood at the altar, standing as still as if she'd been carved of stone. She tuned out the minister in front of her and Taemin, only coming back into focus when the rings were brought out. It wouldn't be long now.

With shaking fingers, she slipped Taemin's ring onto his finger. He slipped her ring on with an ease that made her want to punch him. She trembled and had to keep her hands locked together when Taemin said "I do". Everyone turned to her expectantly, so with tears in her eyes and near-hatred in her heart, she said  "I do". 

There was a loud cheer from the audience. But when Gwiboon looked up and into Taemin's eyes for the first time since she had arrived at the altar, she saw something there that she didn't expect. She saw an apology. An apology that she neither wanted nor accepted, and when Taemin moved in for the kiss, she turned her head so that Taemin's lips landed on her cheek instead. He didn't seem all that upset, oddly.

At the party afterwards, which only served to make Gwiboon feel worse since Taemin hadn't said two words to her since the wedding, she sulked the majority of the time. In fact, she was feeling so despondent that she slipped away and headed to the castle on her own when no one was watching. The wedding dress was ruined when she finally pushed open the door, but that was okay as far as she was concerned. She was never going to wear it again.

She marched up to her own room and promptly, without bothering with her clothes, fell fast asleep on her bed.

-

The next morning, when she opened her eyes, she didn't expect to see somone in her bed. She shoved whoever it was off her bed and unsheathed the knife under her pillow quickly.

    "If you wish to live, I'd suggest staying away from my bed," she said icily. Taemin sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

    "I do wish to live, but my lady.. It is not just your bed anymore," he pointed out and she scowled.

    "If you wish to sleep on the bed, my lord, I will take some furs out of storage and sleep on the ground. I do not share my bed. Not with anyone," she stuck her chin out defiantly, and Taemin, to her surprise, acquiesed.

    "That will not be necessary, my lady. I will ask that my bed be brought back in here," Taemin got up and offered her his hand, ignoring the way Gwiboon's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "Come. Breakfast is being served, I think."

Her mother's eyes lit up when Gwiboon entered the room with Taemin holding her hand. She quickly took her hand out of his grasp, missing the way his face fell. She moved to her own seat and pulled it out for herself. Gracefully, she sat down and started eating. Her parents started trying to make idle chatter, but both she and Taemin were silent.

As quickly as not being rude would allow, she ate and asked to be excused from the dinner table. She then dressed in her men's clothing and went down to the fields to work. She was extremely dissatisfied with the way things had unfolded, and it would be the perfect way to work off her frustration.

On her way towards the fields, Taemin met her and nodded his head in greeting. He didn't say a word to her and walked past as if he wasn't shocked to see her in men's clothing. This man got more surprising with each passing day.

-

She was dead tired when she got back from the fields, but Taemin was waiting for her with a bath. And against her will, she felt the resentment for him fade a little in her heart.

    "I thought you might want a bath after working in the fields, my lady," he bowed politely and left the room, sending her new maid inside to help her undress.

During her bath, Gwiboon wondered over her new husband. She could have had it worse, she knew. She could have been married to a barbarian. Taemin was far from a barbarian, and for that, she supposed, she should be grateful. So far, he hadn't tried to force her to submit to his will. He hadn't tried to force her to consummate the marriage, either. After careful consideration, Gwiboon decided to thank her husband for all these things at bedtime.

When she appeared downstairs for dinner, Gwiboon wasn't surprised to see Taemin already sitting next to her spot. She sat next to him and gave him a small smile. She didn't rush to eat, and made small chatter to him. She completely ignored her parents, who looked satisfied that she was better-behaved that night.

After dinner, Gwiboon and Taemin retired to their room. She couldn't help feeling a little bit nervous about it, since last night had been.. lackluster. She stepped into the room and turned to face Taemin expectantly. She was surprised to see that Taemin also looked like he had something to say.

    "My lord, I have something to say," Gwiboon took a deep breath. Taemin nodded.

    "I have something to say, also, my lady. But go ahead," he held his hand out for her to continue.

    "I am thankful, my lord," she curtsied. "You are not at all what I expected, and everything I ever hoped for in a husband. Thank you for allowing me to be who I am." Taemin smiled, and Gwiboon was a little startled to see a blush gracing his cheeks.

    "Nay, lady. I am not what you expect," he allowed. "But I am only doing what is decent, and what I hope someone would do for me were I in your position." Gwiboon was a little startled when Taemin started taking off his clothing. "I wish to show you something lady, but you must promise me that you won't scream or look away." Gwiboon hesitantly nodded, feeling that maybe her husband was too good to be true after all.

Taemin took off his overshirt and vest, and finally, his undershirt. Gwiboon gasped when she saw cloth across Taemin's chest.

    "Are you wounded, my lord?" she started trying to look, but Taemin quickly retreated out of her grasp.

    "No, lady. I am not wounded," he started unwinding the cloth, and Gwiboon had a nasty feeling in the pit of her stomach when the cloth started being see-through. Finally, when the cloth was unwound, Gwiboon could no longer deny the truth. Taemin was not a man at all. Gwiboon had been married to another woman. "I am sure you know who I am by now." Again, Gwiboon nodded. In front of her stood the maid she'd trusted as her confidant and best friend. The maid who had left her alone and painfully friendless.

    "Why? Why did you leave, Taeyeon?" Taeyeon looked sad and ashamed.

    "It was the only way I knew how to help you, my lady," the woman explained. "I left to learn swordfighting and archery. I had no idea if you had already been married by the time I was ready to enter a tournament, but I had to try." Taeyeon looked earnestly at Gwiboon. "If you wish to have the marriage annulled, I will say I do not find your wild spirit to my liking. Though it is not the truth. Your wild spirit is very becoming." Gwiboon blushed at the compliment.

    "Nay, lady. This marriage may be a sham, but I value my freedom. And as one of my best and oldest friends, I don't wish to upset you, as an annullment clearly would," Taeyeon looked relieved, and Gwiboon circled her arms around her best friend. "No one else can know. The maid will have to know, of course. But she is trustworthy, I assure you. I hand-pick my maids." Taeyeon smiled.

    "It is good to see that you haven't changed at all, my lady," Taeyeon said with a hint of amusement. Gwiboon only laughed full-out.

-

Gwiboon's mother tried to be nice to her, since their main problem with her had been solved. But the damage was done, and there were hard feelings there that would always be there. As far as Gwiboon was concerned, anyway. Her mother may have felt differently. After a while, her mother finally got the message and stopped trying.

What was once pretense to Gwiboon had become real. Taeyeon was her "husband". They acted as a married couple should. But it wasn't an act for Gwiboon. Not anymore. She was actually in love with Taeyeon. It had happened so slowly in the months following the marriage that she didn't realize it had happened until she stopped to actually think.

It was a double-edged sword. On one edge, she had the happiness that she felt whenever Taeyeon showed how devoted she was to her "wife". On the other edge was the despair she felt when she realized that Taeyeon would never feel the same way. Taeyeon had her own man waiting. And Jinki was a nice man. Gwiboon had met him once or twice.

At least, that's what she thought. She had half-jokingly asked about Jinki one day when they were in their chambers and Taeyeon had only looked at her with pain clear on her face.

    "Jinki is... he.. he couldn't wait for me," Taeyeon couldn't finish the sentence, and immediately, Gwiboon held Taeyeon and let her cry. It made Gwiboon ache for Taeyeon, and at the same time made her furious. Jinki could have waited if he really loved her.

    "It'll be okay," Gwiboon soothed. "I'll take care of you." Taeyeon laughed a little.

    "I'm the one who's supposed to be taking care of my "wife", milady," Gwiboon shook her head.

    "Nay. Not this time," Taeyeon bowed to her wishes and let her fuss. Gwiboon was elated. She made sure to show Taeyeon how much she cared.

It didn't go unappreciated.

-

After a couple of years, Gwiboon's mother and father started badgering about an heir. Which they (obviously) could not produce. Gwiboon was blamed, and declared barren by the court's physician. It was painful to hear her parent's harsh words once more, but since Taeyeon was by her side, soothing her and assuaging her insecurities, they were forgotten quickly.

It was more painful to watch Taeyeon, now. Taeyeon obviously didn't feel the same way, but still. Gwiboon had to let Taeyeon know. She deserved to know.

They were in their bedchambers getting ready for bed when she nervously cleared . Taeyeon, who was laying next to her, looked over.

    "Taeyeon, I have something to tell you. Something you deserve to know," there was hesitation in Taeyeon's eyes that pained Gwiboon. "This marriage is no longer a sham for me.  I do not have to pretend to love you. Because I fell in love with you almost as soon as we were married and you treated me with all the respect and honor I have ever asked for." Gwiboon closed her eyes and tilted her head up to prevent the tears from escaping her eyes. "If you now wish to have the marriage annulled, I will understand. You may yet find Jinki unmarried. He will accept you." When she didn't hear Taeyeon doing anything, she looked down.

Taeyeon's expression was carefully unreadable, and Gwiboon's heart sank. She felt her own heart starting to ice over when Taeyeon spoke.

    "My lady, I apologize. I have not been entirely honest," Gwiboon's ears perked up. "This marriage was not a sham for me from the beginning. Jinki was the sham, lady. He was not my man. In fact, he was my brother. I loved you long before we were married. Long before I was your maid, even. My motives for marrying you were selfish, lady. Forgive me." Gwiboon moved forward hesitantly, as if afraid Taeyeon would refuse her, and kissed Taeyeon's lips.

    "There is nothing to forgive, my love," she whispered. "I love you, and you love me. That is that." Taeyeon smiled softly and kissed Gwiboon's lips once more.

    "I am glad to have married you, lady," she murmured. Gwiboon wrapped her arms tightly around Taeyeon.

    "And I you," she replied before settling down to sleep.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hay guys. In case you haven't noticed already, I changed my name. ^^ (erodedfiction --> TheRudeTasteofSane)

LMFAO, this is so cheesy and cliche and stupid. This is one of the least angsty things I've ever written, I think.

Actually, I got the idea for this from a commercial about that new Disney movie, Brave. LOL. Go figure.

Anyway. Thanks for reading this crap. :'D

~~

Til next time, loves. ^o~