Temptation

The Story of Us

Disclaimer: I've searched as thorough as possible about diabetes and there may still be some mistakes here and there. Please excuse the errors and just keep in mind it is a fictional story^^ Thank you and enjoy! :)

 

Junhyung didn’t have any schedules the next day but he told his manager if he could make an appointment with the doctor. He really wants to know what he needs and what he could and could not take. Jin Taek managed to get him an afternoon appointment which means he gets to go to the baby shower first and leave slightly earlier than Hyuna.

Junhyung was showering when the doorbell rang. Hyuna who was busy at the kitchen, stopped her work and see who was at the door.

“Yes?”

“Good morning. Is there anyone by the name of Yong Junhyung here?” the man who looks like a postman asked.

“Yes. He’s my husband,” Hyuna replied.

“Oh. This is a mail for him. Could you sign here please maam?” the man said, handing her a pen and showed her where to sign her name.

The postman then handed her the A4 brown envelope and thanked her before going off.

Hyuna closed the door while fiddling with the envelope.

“Seoul General Hospital..” she read softly to herself. She frowned to herself and started opening the envelope carefully.

Before she could even peek into the envelope, Junhyung snatched it from her hands. She looked up, obviously shocked, only to met with Junhyung’s angry eyes.

“This isn’t yours right? Why must you open it?” he asked seriously, slight anger could be heard in his voice.

“I.. I was just..” Hyuna didn’t know what to answer. She didn’t know Junhyung would be so angry.

“Next time, whatever that’s mine, don’t open it. Understand?” he warned her. He didn’t raise his voice but the sternness in his voice was enough to make her scared and she just nodded.

He was breathing unusually hard and Junhyung turned away and walked up to their room with the envelope. Hyuna was still slightly shaken by Junhyung’s sudden anger but told herself that he must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. She knows very well that Junhyung wouldn’t just flare up without a reason.

After getting ready with a simple light blue shirt and black denim jeans, Junhyung jogged down the stairs to meet Hyuna at the dining table.

Just light breakfast was prepared since they will be eating at Hyerin’s later. Hyuna looked up at him as he sat down, and smiled.

Junhyung looked apologetically at her while she spread some butter on his toast.

“I’m sorry..” he said softly. “I really didn’t mean to.”

She placed the toast infront of him and looked straight at him. “Its okay. I assume you’re having a bad morning or something. I’m sorry too. I promise never to look at your mails again.”

Junhyung return her smile and kissed her forehead lightly. As they were eating, guilt was eating him inside for keeping secrets from Hyuna. He didn’t like it. He wants to share everything with her. She has the right to know everything about him. But he had to keep his illness from her. He just had to.

 

Junhyung had read the contents inside the envelope and kept it safe in his own drawer. He tried to act normal while helping Yoseob around the house for the baby shower. He thought he was in luck that Yoseob doesn’t drink Coke so he won’t have it in his house and thus Junhyung won’t be tempted to drink. Unfortunately, being the thoughtful cousin he is, Yoseob bought some cans of coke just for Junhyung partly to repay him for helping out with the baby shower. And he knows how much his hyung loves coke.

Junhyung stared at the chilled can of coke in his hands that Yoseob just handed him after they finished rearranging some tables and chairs. He gulped down his saliva and chanted in his mind that he shouldn’t take that coke. He should obediently return it to Yoseob and ask for a plain water instead.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you drinking?” Yoseob asked as he walked into the living room where Junhyung was.

“Huh? Oh erm.. yeah,” Junhyung said and before he could stop himself, he was already gulping down the cold drink. He had never felt so wrong drinking coke. It felt as if he just did something sinful. What he needs now is self discipline. Can somebody force that into his stubborn brain right now?

After finishing the drink and just resting for awhile, although its pointless, Junhyung searched the net whether diabetic people can drink coke. Isn’t the answer obvious enough already?

“A recent study found that for each 12 oz. serving of a sugar-sweetened beverage you drink a day, your risk for diabetes increases by about 15 percent,” he read in his mind. Junhyung bit his lower lip slightly, staring at the words on his phone screen. But I already have diabetes. No more ‘increasing the risk’ there isn’t it?

 

Guests started coming around noon and the house was much more livelier. The cakes and sweets at the food section was so tempting. Everywhere he turn, he seemed to come face to face with people eating all those delicious foods and drinking those chilled sweet beverages. Junhyung felt like a fish out of water. He already felt guilty and sinful enough for drinking that one can of coke. He couldn’t risk taking anymore sugar.

“Jun?”

Junhyung jumped slightly at the touch on his shoulder and quickly turned around. There he saw Hyuna looking at him worriedly.

“Are you okay? You seem to be very restless since just now,” Hyuna said.

“Oh? Oh yeah I’m fine. Really,” he smiled and nodded at her.

“Then why are you biting your nails? ” she asked as she pulled his hand away from his mouth. She took his hand and dragged him to one corner.

“Talk to me. Is there something wrong?” she asked again.

“I’m…. I’m just quite hungry. But I couldn’t eat the food. I mean, I’m not really a guest right?” he covered up. He didn’t technically lied since he really was hungry.

Hyuna sighed in relief and chuckled afterwards. “If you want something to eat, just go to the kitchen at the back. But don’t take all of them!”

Junhyung grinned and nodded. “Thank you~”

Hyuna just shook her head, smiling. “I’m going to help Hyerin now. If you need anything just look for me okay?” she the side of his head gently. Junhyung nodded again and both of them parted.

His smile faded when Hyuna disappeared around the corner. He can’t deal with this any longer. Junhyung walked quickly to the bathroom upstairs to avoid from hogging the bathroom for too long.

As he locked the door, Junhyung splashed cold water on his face again and again. He felt like a drug addict and coke was his drug. He could stand not eating any sweets or sugar and replace all of them with vegetables and fruits. But one thing he cannot stand is not drinking coke. Its like smoking. Seemed harmless from the outside but what it does to your body inside, only the doctor would know.

Junhyung stared at himself at the mirror for a goof long time and tried to convince himself that he can go through this. Just a few more hours left to his appointment. He just felt really paranoid and clueless right now, not knowing what he can and cannot take. He hoped seeing the doctor would make him at least a little better.

Junhyung went downstairs and started to chat around with the guests. They were mostly Yoseob’s friends but who doesn’t know Yong Junhyung? The ladies were mostly in the living room, starting to open presents given for the new member of the family.

 

Finally when its about time, Jin Taek called Junhyung to tell him that he was already waiting outside. Junhyung told Yoseob that he already had to go and excused himself politely out of the group of guests they were chatting with. He searched around for Hyuna and found her in the kitchen, refilling the plates with more cakes.

“Hey..” Junhyung said, hugging her from behind.

Hyuna looked over her shoulder slightly and smiled. “What’s with the sudden P.D.A?”

“Oh come on. All the guests are like.. outside the kitchen,” he said.

“Yes.. But they can still see us,” she said.

“I have to go now,” Junhyung pouted, resting his chin on her shoulder.

“Already? Okay.. I’ll just text you when I’m going home,” she said.

“I’ll pick you up if you’re still here when my schedule is over,” he said and Hyuna simply nodded.

Junhyung left a quick kiss on her cheek before saying goodbye and going out of the house.