Facing the Truth

The Story of Us

 

Junhyung and I waited outside Dr Park’s office as he was attending to another patient. Usually when we go to checkups Junhyung would talk about his work or just play simple games with me like thumb wrestling to let the time pass on its own. But today, because of me, it was quiet. I played with my own fingers and once in a while I would glance at what he’s doing. He busied himself with his phone, probably playing games or messaging his friends.

In every marriages, there would always be fights here and there. Believe it or not, this is our first real fight. And its my fault. And its because he loves me.

Time flies when you’re having fun. But time seems to stop when you’re not. Especially when guilt is slowly chewing you from inside.

Junhyung put his phone back into his pocket and leaned back on the seat. I was kinda expecting him to turn to me and you know.. say something. But he didn’t. Of course he wouldn’t. I searched for my pocket for something, anything.

When I took my hand out, all I have was a quarter, an old washout receipt and a string. Where the hell does the string comes from? I put aside the string and coin.

After I was done, I took his hand carefully and placed the receipt on his palm.

 

Junhyung’s POV

I looked on my palm and saw a folded heart shaped receipt. I turned to her. She wasn’t looking at me. She was back to looking at her own hands, biting her lower lip. I took her hand and intertwined my fingers with hers. Slowly I brought her hand up and kissed the back of her hand. I rested our hands on my lap and she leaned her head on my shoulder.

I didn’t mean to shout at her. I didn’t mean to get angry. But she was starting to scare me. I was afraid of losing her. I was afraid that I couldn’t live without her. I have no one else but her. If she lose me, she still have her mother to care for her. What about me? If I lose her, I have no one. I can’t depend on my brother. He have his own life now.

“Mrs Yong, you can go in now,” the nurse said. We were just staring into space that I didn’t even realised the patient was out.

We entered the office after knocking and sat across Dr Park.

He asked some questions to Hyuna about her health and everything else and she also told him about her weakening muscles.

“Ahh.. This is not constant actually. Sometimes you find yourself able to do work as per normal. You know like carry things, cook,.. But on some days you might feel slightly weaker and basic things like lifting a glass could be a difficulty.” Hyuna and I nodded, understanding every words that has been said.

“Since you are already at this stage, I just want to warn you about some things that might happen in the future to come. It might come much later but we just want to be prepared right?” We remained quiet and just waited.

Dr Park took a deep breath for awhile before continuing. “You.. you might not be able to walk Mrs Yong.”

“Why not??” I asked. I didn’t realised that the question came out as anger but I was shocked and needed to know why.

“The medication that you take helps to prevent the tumor from getting bigger. But it makes you weaker and it affects your muscles,” Dr Park told Hyuna. Maybe he’s too afraid to direct the answer to me instead.

I turned to Hyuna and she just nodded. Her face was expressionless.

 

“Can we go to my mum’s place for awhile? Just awhile,” she spoke as we got into the car.

“Yeah sure. Is she home?”

“Yeah. She’s not working today.” I just nodded. Hyuna’s mum had moved out of their big house and sell it to another family because she thought it’s a waste. With Hyerin and Hyuna both married, she’s alone and doesn’t really need a big house. She had moved into a small 3-room apartment just for herself few months ago.

The whole journey was silent except for slow songs coming out from the radio. I didn’t mind it. Sometimes all we need is silence to calm our hearts. To relax our mind. To feel peace again. With all these going on, it felt like we’re walking through a huge tornado that doesn’t seem to stop anytime soon.

 

Hyuna knocked on the door of the apartment on the 5th level and waited for the door to open.

“Oh Hyuna! Junhyung! What a surprise! Come in come in~” her mum said as she saw us upon opening the door.

I took a seat at the living room while Hyuna followed her mum to the kitchen to get some drinks. The tv was on some cooking show. I lenaed back on the couch as I watched the chef cooked some weird looking italian dish. Since the volume was quite low, I could hear some of the things being said in the kitchen.

“You should have told me that you two are coming. I could have at least prepared something!” her mum complained.

“Its okay omma. We were just stopping by..” Hyuna said. She sounded slightly weak. I just realised we hadn’t eaten anything yet since breakfast.

“Honey, are you okay? Why are you so pale? Are you sick?” she asked her daughter worriedly.

“Omma.. can I talk to you for a second?” Hyuna said.

“Sure sure. Where? Here? Are you really okay? You look like you’re about to faint.” A few moments later Hyuna and her mum walked out of the kitchen with a tray of glass of ice water.

Hyuna took a seat on the empty space beside me as her mum sat across us. Hyuna glanced at me for a second and took a deep breath.

“O-omma..” She pursed her lips as she accidentally stuttered. I took her hand and placed it on my lap, giving it a slight squeeze.

“Omo! Don’t tell me… I’m going to be a grandmother??” her mum suddenly said cheerfully, clasping her hands together. She had this wide smile on her face that I couldn’t bare to see her when she get to know the news.

“You know you two just act as if there’s something bad to scare me but actaully it’s a happy news? Right? How long has it been?” she asked excitedly.

Hyuna shut her eyes and bit her lower lip sligtly. I her back slowly and massaged her left shoulder lightly as I placed my arm around her.

“Omonim-“ I was cut off when Hyuna turned to me and shook her head. She wanted to tell herself. I just nodded.

“Omma, I’m not pregnant,” she said clearly.

“Ahh really? Then what’s the news?” she asked, still with a smile on her face.

“I’m sick,” Hyuna said.

“See.. That’s why I asked you just now. Flu? Fever? Then what are you still doing here? You should be resting at home!” her mum replied, shaking her head.

“I have a tumor. Near my heart. And the doctor said the operation can be fatal. I may not able to walk anymore because the medication I’m taking now is weakening my muscles,” Hyuna said in one go. She didn’t want the news to get delayed anymore. Better still she go straight to the point.

“What?” omonim said softly. She was in deep shock. She didn’t even blink when Hyuna told her about the tumor. was slightly ajar, trying to take it all in.

Hyuna nodded. “Yes I’m sick. Your daughter is sick.”

“Oh my.. Hyuna..” She went to sit beside Hyuna and hugged her tight.

“How long have my baby been sick?” she asked softly as if she didn’t want to know.

“About 3 months,” Hyuna said, sobbing on her mother’s shoulder. Omonim rubbed her back gently and she looked up at me with tears welled up in her eyes. I pursed my lips and looked down on my hands. I couldn’t look into her eyes. Its just so painful and I want to be strong for the both of them. I can’t cry together with them. I have to be strong. One of us has to be.

 

Heyyy~ I made a slight change in words. Actually the correct term is muscles and not reflex. Hyuna's muscles are weakening. Not reflex. Although its something minor and its just a fiction, I want my stories to be as logical as possible. :) So yeah.. No wonder I failed Biology :P

So this fic's week has come to an end. Till we meet again hahaha~ 

Comment! Subscribe! And to my new readers that I gained within this week, enjoy your stay! :D

tumblr_mh6nn6uqTO1rsna24o1_500.gif