Chapter IX

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“For all the cases we’ve been through. I, Kris Wu, hereby announced that the first Agent who will receive his punishment is Agent 2, Zhang Yixing also known as Lay.” I pronounced the words firmly. Even though it shuttered every organ I’ve got.

 

We’re in the backyard—Lay and myself— while the others stayed at their assigned posts. “He had been disgrace to our team which never got a punishment due to constant winning of all the desired titles we’ve aimed for. But that ends here and it’s depressing to say that this is a first.”

 

I circled around Lay while saying those memorized lines I’ve forced to state for it’s my obligation to punish the sinner as the best Leader in our Quarter. This is recorded immediately and will be sending to the Officials by Luhan. Whether we like it or not, we don’t have any choice.

 

I stopped on his left side and detached the earpiece I had before whispering, “Don’t take it personally, Yixing. I’ve got no other choice.” He nodded, clearly understanding the situation.

 

“I accept my punishment.” Lay replied with a solid voice that almost got me shock. He’s confident and no doubt about it. I want to take my words back, if that was possible. This was my first time announcing something like this.

 

Never thought I could use these lines when I studied it back then. We were all optimistic and young and naïve and even convinced that this will never happen until now. I am shamelessly uttering the words.

 

I moved to the point where Lay and I faced each other with a respected distance. I looked at him, he stared back. We stood like we’re prepared to have combat but that wasn’t the case.

 

Tao appeared behind me with a bamboo stick and just paused on my right side. He glanced at me and said, “Gege, I’m ready. I’ve already informed Luhan about my temporary absence at the front door and he said he will look after it.”

 

“Good. I’ll let you know when you will start. Just stand there for a moment.”

 

Hearing this, Tao nodded in confirmation. I exhaled before saying, “Warm up for 30 minutes.” Lay didn’t protest and proceeded to run in circles before shifting to another exercises.

 

There’s a timer on my left hand and I definitely pressed the ‘start’ button just in time. I placed my hands behind my back and watched Lay doing all the things that helped him strengthen his muscles out.

 

 Sweats beginning to invade Lay’s torso which can be seen through the darken sides of his shirt as well as the sides of his face. He didn’t take off his hat that makes him looked like he was uncomfortable but his vest was certainly on the ground. I glanced up at the timer which stated that 20 minutes has already passed.

 

I concentrated in watching him again. Tao beside me spoke, “Too much warm up will only lead to exhaustion. How is he gonna fight me with that? Right he wasn’t allowed to do too much warm up on his own? He has limitations. That’s what his recent medical certificate tells before we accept this mission.”

 

 “Why? What are you afraid of? If you can’t do it then hand me that stick. This is his punishment. We can’t abide the rules.” I gave Tao a firmed look and he lowered his head in return. He didn’t speak after that.

 

“Don’t state the obvious. I am aware of everything that concerns this group. But I don’t want the Officials to find something unfairly treated members just because you guys are very close to me. If they’ll find just a slight consideration that I give to this group, we might never see each other again.”

 

Explaining those words have successfully made a heavy weight to my heart. It felt like there’s a large dumbbell fallen into my head and crushed me to pieces. My responsibility lies here as a leader. I have to look like I’m strong and manageable no matter what. Being a leader means great responsibility.

 

10 minutes, I called for a halt. Lay was breathing heavily that got me thinking if he’ll be wheezing in another seconds. I let him catch his breath before hesitating whether to say the next words.

 

I swallowed quietly then continued with my words when I confirmed that Lay was near to his normal breathing, “Horse stance. This will test how steady you are and will represent discipline when you last long while someone is…”

 

Tao looked at me when I almost croak out as well as Lay’s confused expression, waiting for me to finish my sentence. I cleared my throat first then, “While someone’s beating you.”

 

Hollow silence among us three erupted the backyard. I thought those words belonged to someone else. I wish it was. Honestly, it doesn’t feel like it came out of my mouth. The chilly wind howled louder that made our clothes pressed within our bodies.

 

On the corner of my eye, I saw how Tao widened his eyes and about to ask something but I didn’t let him, “Yes, he won’t be defending himself. You’ll beat him up.”

 

“B-but—”

 

“That’s an order, Huang Zi Tao.”

 

He stared before reluctantly moved and seconds later, he was standing at Lay’s side; arms stretched holding the Bamboo stick that was beyond 180cm long, aiming at Lay’s right leg. He didn’t look at Lay as he apologized, “Forgive me.”

 

Lay smiled despite the fact that he will be beaten. He gave Tao a reassuring smile that says how he’s willing to be punished. He then settled himself, squatting steadily. A perfect Horse Stance; one of the basic stances in Martial Arts.

 

We were all trained in different kinds of combat. Firstly, it’s Wushu. Tao was the champion all throughout the competitions. Secondly, Taekwondo then followed by Kendo, Kung Fu, Karate and many more.

 

In Wushu, fighting with weapons was taught as well. So even if the trainee Agent chooses in learning martial arts is only Wushu, then it isn’t a problem. The Officials let you decide what you want to feed yourself for the upcoming missions.

 

I clasped the useless timer before exhaling quietly. I briefly closed my eyes then opened them, prepared for any consequences that this group may encounter.

 

“Begin.”

 

Tao shouted—to show how he was so against it—before releasing the first strike. The stick smacked Lay’s right shin, making him winced a little. Then came another strike to the other shin, calves, thighs and even the back of his knees which got him to almost kneel due to the impact until I lost counts of them.

 

I saw how Lay lowered his head slightly in order for the cap to cover his eyes. He stayed still and I was grateful for that. If Tao’s beating won’t afflict him and prove that he can stand until the end, then it will be a good report to the Officials.

 

My mind said, Lay can hold it until the very last minute but the other was contradicting it instead. Saying Lay should go unconscious so the beatings will end soon. I don’t know which is better. All I want is to stop this craziness.

 

The stick went up, to Lay’s upper body, and then hit his abdomen again and again. His posture slowly slouched and I can’t blame him. If I were him, I would do the same. He bit his lower lip, still enduring the pain.

 

What’s the outcome for this? I can’t answer because I don’t know why we have to come this far. I want to call for a cease but a real leader wouldn’t be affected just because he’s witnessing his comrade’s penalty.

 

Lay’s shirt was soaking wet now. His knees were beginning to wobble. Tao was hitting his back then arms and shoulders hard that makes me want to shout at him. For what? To reduce the force or to admit how I am on my limit to make a decision of bringing an end to this?

 

“What is happening here?! STOP IT!” a concerned voiced yelled from my behind. I closed my eyes, that voice. What is she doing here? Please, don’t come near.

 

“You! Panda eyes man! Drop that freaking stick or I’ll take it and beat you instead.” Amber demanded like she’s aware of everything. Tao halted; stick hanged in the air and looked at me for approval. I shook my head, means no, and then he continued to hit Lay on the sides this time.

 

“Didn’t you hear me? He has nothing to do with the phone—”

 

“And you have nothing to do with this.” I faced her with my brows puckered. I hated the way she would argue with something that she only have a partial knowledge of and just stubbornly stand against me.

 

We were just inches away from each other, her eyes were stern while mine was cold. I think that if I didn’t turn and talk to her, she would spank my back and push me. She glared like she wanted to see me beaten up instead of Lay.

 

“It’s my fault not his, so spare him!”

 

“He lent you his help and so does his betrayal to our group. He got to be punished.”

 

“He helped me because I needed him to!”

 

“He helped you because he wanted to. You’ve used his weakness and for him to be used, that’s his mistake.”

 

“I did not use him! Lay got something that you don’t!”

 

My frown went deep. For the first time, I didn’t understand what she meant by that. I don’t want her to see how I was left confused to those words of her. For that reason, I leaned in. She didn’t move, daring for me to come closer until I accidentally touched her nose with mine.

 

I didn’t let that small touch distract me as I just carry on with my cool act. Because of her hatred that was clearly seen through her eyes, she wasn’t able to comprehend how that quick sudden closeness made our noses came in touch briefly.

 

“And that is?” I provoked.

 

“A heart.” Amber said so clear that made a ringing sound into my ears.

 

My eyebrows parted away as the frown faded. I slowly pulled myself but her words stung like I wasn’t human at all. As a man, I will admit. I am hurt. Does being a leader with great responsibility not humane? Does following rules and laws a wrong act to do?

 

Lost in my thoughts, Amber shoved me aside—intentionally bumping her shoulder to my chest— for her to pass. The timer in my hand broke when I subconsciously formed a fist then decided to throw it away. She was nearly reaching the scene but before she could, I grabbed her wrist and yanked her to my side.

 

“Let go of my hand!” She shouted before looking at Lay and Tao, “STOP IT! YOU’RE HURTING HIM!” I glanced at them too but felt a paper of guilt slapped me in the face. It was too late to look away now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter