Chapter XXI

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I settled my eyes on her face, taking in any reaction detectable. It is my satisfaction and amusement that made me see Amber’s startled expression, how tensed her muscles around my hand felt, how she blinked furiously, and how flustered she was by my action. It didn’t take long before it registered to me what I had done. Judging by the heat I feel all over my face, I am just as flustered as she was.

 

“That’s…overwhelming…I guess. The vital information…I mean. Well let me, uh…” Amber retrieved her hand from my hold, turning away and avoiding my gaze. She hurriedly tried to open the door of the car but failed because of haste. There’s a strong surge feeling of rejection inside of me and if my observations were right, it will brew stronger and I will lose my sense of responsibility because Amber surely doesn’t appreciate my presence.

 

“Ugh come on, just want…to…nap.” She gritted when her slender fingers didn’t succeed on clutching the handle. I looked at her profile, taking in all this beginning of another attitude rush from her. It was apparent enough that she’s agitated by the sudden change of plan from the guarding EXO-K to us, EXO-M. It also felt surreal even to me.

 

The grunting increases and that was where I took action by stimulus. My palm met the back of her knuckles and with enough force, I pulled the handle to the right so it slid open with Amber wavering a little when I let go. I was standing behind her, arms hanging mid-air prepared for her unexpected fall that didn’t happen because she let herself stumbled inside the vehicle.

 

“You’re welcome.” I commented without actually thinking but felt my lips slightly tugged upwards when Amber sighed with a retort, “Who says I need your help?”

 

“Thought you needed one back there, Young Mistress.”

 

“Can we just leave? I want to rest. So many happenings in one day, I can’t even think of how to deal with it.” She slumped herself in the backseat, removing her ponytail while covering her face with her coat added with the crossing of arms. Was she not happy to see me? I meant us. Definitely, us. Or was it just covered along with her real emotion?

 

“Agents, inside now. And Chen, safe driving please.” I commanded while everyone was preoccupying the seats and I took the usual front seat, not before rearranging the side mirror so it had the perfect angle of the beautiful resting lady that I’ve missed for the whole eight months of being separated from her.

 

Amber, this time, I won’t fail to serve and protect you. Because I’d already devoted my life in this mission.

 

 

 

 

~Amber’s POV~

The first thing I did when we reached my family’s mansion was to sprint like a runner toward the spacey entrance hall up to my room and shut the door so loud it probably echoed outside the hallway, alerting every maids this massive bricks of a house had. I almost forgot, my old man just needed our maids once a week for a general cleaning so he wasn’t keeping them here anymore. I can make my own breakfast and dinner.

 

What just happened? I am supposed to be happy, right? It’s finally EXO-M taking over but I am still shaking from the interaction with Kris, kissing my hand who gave him the consent? And his choice of words, making me wobbling under my own legs. I knew that he was telling the truth but it happened like a passing blur of neon lights caught on moving camera.

 

I hadn’t been told what to do or how to react but deep down, part of me was relieved. Alright, maybe much more relieved because I was figuring out on what circumstances will the fate of the two of us collide? I was thinking maybe in a fight, or in an accident or worse, last breath to either of us but in a daily basis of just going home and take a break from work in my company’s parking lot? That was uncalled for. This is how reality manipulates life, though.

 

“Goodness I am perfectly wasn’t expecting anything like this.” I groaned, kicking the sprawled heels away from my sight as well as tossing the tight blouse to the basket and changing for a comfortable loose plain shirt and a pajama pants. “Be damned, yes help me from coping up.” I muttered while struggling with the left leg and ended up planking on the edge of my quilt covering my bed.

 

When I lied on my back, a diffident smile was etched on my lips and a giggle escaped when I gathered the pillow to block my silly face because waiting for the unknown will eventually have its own ending point. If lying to myself was excluded, then will it be self-indulgent if I honestly admit that I am beyond contented of what is unraveling at the moment? Will it be alright, being selfish for experiencing what I had longed and wished for?

 

There were a lot of people whose wishes weren’t granted like mine. But this kind of fortune was given to me, of all living creatures out there. If I wouldn’t grab a hold of it, I have a hunch of it vanishing and a once in a Bluemoon chance so I should make the most of it.

 

Who am I kidding anyway?

 

I missed that giant. I missed them.

 

Now, they’re already here, provided to protect me, again.

 

Happiness so vibrant, concealing it will only be a waste of time.

 

 

 

 

 

☯ ☯ ☯

“Pardon the intrusion Young Mistress, dinner time.” Three knocks before those words were spoken, it was Lay. He’s still thoughtful just like from before and a soft tone than can be convincing simply because he was the one who voiced it out.

 

Days ago, I would cook for myself and for my old man and have discussions on the dining table about business matters. My mother was in Hong Kong, watching over our small businesses with the help of some Aunties and Uncles known to business. Here in Beijing, I am struggling to lead the Liu Company to a developed fruition of hard work and from the feedbacks of our employees, even in a slow pace, the company’s graph wasn’t declining. If anything it’s the opposite. In just a matter of time, it will sky-rocket, defeating any companies by its development under my care, PL Company included.

 

The folders, pens, notes and other company printed files were scattered on my table. I glanced between those and the closed door before responding, “I’ll have it in my room, please. Some stuff I needed to work on.”

 

There was a pause and then a reply, “Understood.”

 

The footsteps weren’t that far away when my feet found themselves taking a jog to reach the concrete, opened it with rush and Lay’s retreating figure came in view. His right hand on the railing but his head was turned in order to see the noise the door had made and our gazes touched.

 

I definitely m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter