Chapter X

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

On my feet—running—until I reached my favored destination. The moment where I’m about to open the door, Xiumin did it for me but I least expected what he’d done. He pushed me back a little then closed the door behind him. I am beginning to shove him aside for me to enter.

 

“Lay wasn’t supposed to have a visitor. That’s his request. Can you do it for him, Young Mistress?” Xiumin courteously said while blocking, not letting me touch the barrier between me and Lay.

 

“But I just want to see if he’s alright. Please, let me through!”

 

“I’m sorry but I can’t. He’ll be grateful for your concern but I can assure you that he’s doing fine. He just needs his rest and you wouldn’t notice that he’ll be back on his own feet sooner.”

 

“I am his friend. Why can’t I visit him?”

 

“Maybe, it has something to do with our status. We don’t let our client look after us. You’ve done enough to help him out there, I hope you understand.”

 

“Oh Come on! Let me take a glimpse of his ‘alright’ condition for like 1 second?” I begged automatically, didn’t know I could use some aegyo(cuteness) in front of  the most obviously pro in aegyo person. But it was worth a try, I guess.

 

“That, I can’t grant it. I’m sorry.” Xiumin held both of my hands before turning me around so I could face my own room instead and pushed me—carefully—then released me. He gave me one look of apology and bowed his head before he disappeared with the door closed.

 

Much to my dismay, I sighed in defeat. “Fine then! Live with your useless standards while I’ll bore myself to death in here!” I exasperated, stomping my feet in process and didn’t know whom I’m throwing those words to. Who cares anyway?

 

“Another day of confinement.” I hissed under my breath. Noticing how my room was almost dark, I assumed that the sun decided to hide its golden brightness from the world. I don’t even mind sleeping this early since I can’t think of any better ideas on how to consume the whole remaining hours before midnight.

 

Sneaking later to check on Lay will be a bad suggestion. I know better than repeating a once brilliant idea so I wouldn’t reconsider it. If Xiumin’s words are true then I guess, I’ll have to wait for Lay’s recovery and meet him tomorrow. That sounds convincing.

 

Grabbing my comforter from the mattress, I spread it at the floor while simply tossing my two pillows in it. Maybe, spending my whole time thinking while lying at the floor—even though it’s freaking cold—might have an optimistic outcome.

 

Therefore, I slumped myself flat and crossed my arms. Looking back at the untouched ceiling, small fringes remained in my forehead, I let my eyes scanned the boring place of dirty white room. Minutes past and my mind gave up on thinking. Miracles are nowhere to pass through my head.

 

“Arrrghh!” I tousled my hair in frustration before dropping my arms which is a bad—very bad—idea since it hit the bedside table above my head. I yelped and clutched my poor arms. Way to go stupidity. Sighing, my eyelids closed without listening to its owner and as slowly as it seems, my mind went shutting down involuntarily.

 

I peacefully entered a land full of Llamas and saw myself smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

~Kris’s POV~

Saying that watching one to two tracks passing in the pavement of the highway was interesting is an understatement. But I wasn’t paying attention to it that way, I just happen to stare through it. Not at it. I’m fully aware of the night time and how many hours passed ever since that despicable punishment had happened.

 

Sitting here at the front porch’s banister, back leaning into one of the porch columns while my left leg bended and my right leg swinging ever so slowly as I let it dangling with the coolness of the air. My arms crossing as I continued to stare into space again.

 

Moments ago, I remembered hanging my tuxedo coat in this banister and ed three buttons with the loose tie barely slinging around my collar. My hair was not in a good mood either, I don’t blame the innocent wind for that. All I can think was Amber’s words.

 

Considering how far she could go to defend Lay and even offering her own self for Lay’s replacement, it just got me annoyed again for some reason. Why can’t she just understand? Am I that cruel? Shaking my head slightly, I closed my eyes and let my head fell back to the porch column.

 

I am trying to occupy my mind with something useful for everybody else when the front door creaked open. I was about to ignore the other’s presence but failed immediately when he called my name out.

 

“Wu Fan?”

 

“Shutup.” Was the word that came out of my mouth automatically. It was on instinct, I hate it when people call me by my real name. I mean, what’s the point on getting another name if they’ll be using the old one anyway?

 

“Sorry, Kris.” That voice. I jolted up instantly after realizing who the person next to me is. The figure made a great effort in holding his whole frame up while limping to the opposite porch’s banister, I could only look at him. Is he for real?

 

“Yixing…” my voice trailed off as I watch him wincing and struggling to find a comfortable position before sitting as well. I didn’t dare help him. I admit, I was being a fool because of the feeling I felt that no matter what happen today, I won’t lend him any hand.

 

“Ah, that’s better. Well, what are you up to? Listening to the chirping crickets or planning on staying here all night long?” Lay beamed as if he wasn’t in pain, as if the incident awhile ago didn’t happen, as if I wasn’t responsible for his anguish, as if he wasn’t beaten up with a stupid Bamboo stick, as if I…

 

“Stop blaming yourself, Our Mighty Dragon.”

 

My stare blurred before focusing back at him. Lay didn’t tear his eyes off either but after a minute or so, he heaved a deep sigh and chuckled. I felt my eyebrows met in the center and that once stare turned into glare. He’s impossible.

 

“We don’t hate you and will never will, Duizhang. So quit over thinking. I’m still alive, ain’t I? All I need is a bit of rest and yeah, I will beat the heck out of you tomorrow by waking up early. Though, I always do that but uhmm…No, we could—”

 

“Can you heal yourself?” I shamelessly interrupted him by asking.

 

This time, Lay turned his attention to my direction and stared for awhile before briefly closing his eyes and smiled. I, on the other hand, still wore that trademark look of expressionless and waited patiently for his answer. I know, I sounded crazy. I just can’t help asking that sentence and at the same time, I don’t want to hear their opinions about myself.

 

 Lay copied my position—with difficulty—but preferred to lift both legs and crossed it in the end. Again, he sighed and shook his head, means no. I’d have expected the answer from the beginning but still, what harm can ask do?

 

“You, Agent 1, are one crazy and still childish person.” Lay laughed out loud, slightly startling me. What the hell did I do? My question was normal, wasn’t it? I glared at him before saying, “I’m asking a damn normal question.”

 

“Oh really? If I don’t know any better, I think you’re the one who got beaten up and got all your systems disabled.” He continued to laugh while clutching at his stomach. Offended, I shifted my attention back to the boring pavement with a huff.

 

After his laugh subsided, I can sense the look he gave me in my peripheral vision but ignored it in return. Lay then persistently made fun of it, “You know, we both can’t see any wires attach to me and I didn’t drink any ceramic-like color liquid too before deciding to visit you here. Hence, to answer your question in a formal way…No Duizhang, I can’t heal myself since I’m in reality.”

 

That’s a smooth talk he did there. And it came out perfectly like I’m a silly creature that landed here in Earth few days ago. I scoffed bitterly, “Just get lost with your deformed horse.” I, once again, crossed my arms. Earning a loud gasp from him, my mouth stretched to form a sly smirk.

 

“What did you just call my precious Unicorn?” Lay dramatically asked, fake hurt plastered in his face as I gave him my cold shoulder for response.

 

“Who’s being childish now?”

 

“I didn’t badmouth your stupid Dragon!”

 

“Because nobody ask you to.”

 

“Why you…”

 

“Heal yourself first. Then I wouldn’t call your deformed horse a…well deformed horse.”

 

Another round of laughter from Lay was heard and my frown couldn’t get any deeper. This dumb Agent 2, how can he just forget what happen? I envy him for that though. He seems more professional than me. I lowered my head and it was my turn to heave my deepest sigh.

 

“If that’s how you show your concern, I will honestly tell you…I’m thankful.”

 

“Concern your face. I am not concern about you. I just need everybody else to be healthy again to avoid failure that’s all.” I maintained my voice steady.

 

“Whatever the Dragon says. We’re grateful though, having you as our Leader means everything. Anyways, I’ll be leaving. You should get some rest too, Kris.” He got up before heading to the front door and then glanced at me.

 

“Yeah right just leave.” I waved my hand nonchalantly, still not looking at him. He flashed his smile, dimples provident, and then finally entered the house. That’s the signal I took as I set my feet on the ground and walked further away from the house.

 

It’s now or never, I hope this will work.

 

 

 

☯ ☯ ☯

Thirty minutes passed, I found myself looking down at the supposedly lady. Supposedly because I am very much certain that a wise lady wouldn’t just drag herself with only 2 pillows and a comforter as a mat on the floor sleeping. What was her motive? I have no idea.

 

Above here, I can say that Amber was shivering since she was peacefully lying on her own comforter and limbs wildly spread in a different pose. I clicked my tongue subconsciously before crouching down, still processing how will I able to carry her without waking her up.

 

Wasting no time, I almost awkwardly let both of her legs gathered in my left arm while my right arm slid into her torso gently. Feeling how she breathes steadily, I don’t have any intentions on sensing her ribcage under my fingertips as I lifted her up.

 

Amber didn’t stir which is actually good news. However, once her head fell backwards, I can’t help but to stare at her exposed neck and her loose shirt was slightly doing its job as it showed more of her collarbone. Having a perfect skin complex like that…What am I thinking? Or rather what am I looking at?

 

Shaking whatever soon to be thoughts away, I cleared my throat then quickly walked to Amber’s bed. I placed her there as smoothly as I could before going back to the floor and picked all the things there. Patting each quietly, I lifted Amber’s head while sliding the pillow in so she could comfortably rest there.

 

And the last material was the comforter, I tucked her in successfully. Contented at my work, my eyes lingered for a moment at Amber’s sleeping figure before taking my leave. Just as I was about to turn, I heard her mumbled.

 

“Llama…don’t go.”

 

She’s dreaming of a Llama? What? Once again, I shook my head and proceeded to leave immediately before she can even catch me in there. Closing the door behind me, the right corner of my lips stretched and I whispered, “Goodnight, Amber.”

 

I fetched something special beside Amber’s door where I temporarily left it there when I checked on her and about to enter the room across but halted for a moment. Did I bring the lighter with me? Checking the insides of my pockets, yes I did. I brought it up and lit the candle trapped in the internal of the thin, white paper that served as the whole structure of the thing, seeing how it glows to an extreme mix color of orange and red.

 

A genuine smile was emitted in my stoic face as I slowly entered our room. The first thing I saw was Lay’s back facing me, probably sleeping his lungs out but then I don’t want to find my efforts being dump. No, it will never be me if I let this pass.

 

I placed the illuminating square object on the only table we had before moving away from it. Hiding my hands behind me then started my act. First off, I cleared my throat loudly than necessary but Lay wasn’t affected by it. And so I alerted, “Yixing, there’s a fire. Wake up.”

 

He didn’t budge or was my voice that lame at acting? I tried again, “Agent 2, the building’s on fire. Get your out of—”

 

“I’m up I’m up! Where—”

 

Resisting the urge to laugh at his priceless expression, I looked at the object located on the table and waited for Lay to calm down and register what was really happening that time. He was on his feet now, again with difficulty, but then got confused when he saw my tranquil posture.

 

“Du-duizhang? What’s happe—” before he could finish, he slowly caught up and widened his eyes when he saw the white lantern naturally blooming its beauty as it was the only illuminating object that redecorating the entire room.

 

I glanced at him, expecting some reaction—any reaction—but he just stood there, astonished. Minutes passed and nothing happen, I dragged myself to the bathroom to change. When I got back, Lay was still gawking at the object.

 

“If you don’t appreciate it then throw it instead. I don’t need a statue as my roommate in here.” I hissed before lunging at my bed and covered my entire self up. Dead silence knocked in that said room and I almost thought that Lay ended the relationship between oxygen and life until he spoke, “Thank you, Wu Fan.”

 

Gripping at the covers, I gritted my teeth. “Don’t you dare call me that again.” Thankfully, Lay was fast to change the subject as he approached the white lantern—finally—and observed it more. I heard chuckles and I know where this one is going.

 

“Where did you get this?” He asked curiously and I almost let myself sneer at the question.

 

“Found it somewhere in the trees.”

 

“You’re lying.”

 

“Are you accusing me?”

 

“Then explain why there’s a specific lousy drawing of a rhino over here?”

 

“That’s not a rhino! It’s your deformed horse!” I defended abruptly while sitting up but immediately regretted it when the words sunk into my nerves. I looked away at Lay’s playful smile and let the covers hovered me once more.

 

I know my drawing was bad but there’s no need on pointing them out. Damn Lay with his natural sense of provoking someone else. I’m being ridiculous right now and I’m 100% aware of that.

 

“Just kidding. Of course it’s a unicorn. So, you still remember that…Well, if those powers were true, I would’ve healed faster than how this light will flicker but I prefer this normal way of living.” Lay expressed sincerely before blowing the candle inside the lantern completely off.

 

I remembered everything. Those scenes were hard to forget after all.

 

 

 

 

~Flashback~

 

 

“This will be your room, Wu fan. You can have your rest first.” The lady smiled at me and I glanced at her nametag ‘BoA’ before nodding. She held my shoulders and slowly bended so we could share an eye level contact.

 

“There are other kids as your roommates. You’ll be fine with it.” She left me staring at the wooden door as I contemplated whether to enter our room or not just yet. Socializing with people, I’m no near good at it.

 

As I made my appearance, I was greeted by a loud and messy surrounding with bipolar kids. That’s what I’m deciding to call them. 3 beds were located on the left while another 3 on the right. There were nametags as well and I searched for my name which I almost immediately found it in the right corner near the door.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter