Chapter XIII

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“I’m so sorry. We kinda consumed most of our time in that unstoppable traffic of the year.” A man in his 30’s sincerely apologized and attempted to make the situation less tense from being late yet then again to his friend. They both shook hands aftermath. The said friend smiled in return, “That was absolutely not a problem there. We both know each other for more than decades now, aren’t we?” Standing in the aisle of their massive living room, the two exchanged more wordings and such that they almost forgot how they were accompanied by their offspring at the back of their knees.

 

One tug from the hem of the suit, one of the man was cut off immediately and turned just enough to give existence to the bored child. “Papa, what am I doing here?” It was asked in a straight accented English language that if it was witnessed by mass of people, they will generally think that the child wasn’t even 7 years of age. The expression of the father was like it was lit up with light bulb as he took his child’s left hand before facing his smiling buddy.

 

“Ah yes it is, almost carried away with things. Anyhow, this boy right here is my only child. Meet Henry Lau.” He lightly pulled the boy’s hand for him to be fully revealed then continued, “Greet your Uncle Liu, Henry.”

 

Henry felt his father’s disappearing hand before he could take note of what his father was talking about but proceed to greet the said topic nonetheless. He held his hand out for a shake just like what he was used to in Canada—western style. Sometimes, although his father never mentioned it, he found his father not liking the idea of adapting to western culture rather than to their own culture. But what can he do? It was not like his fault growing up in different country anyways.

 

 “Hi Uncle Liu, Nice to meet you!” Henry beamed like a sunflower bathed with much love of the sunrays and sprinkling drops from the water can. Mr. Liu found that amusing and didn’t notice when did his smile grew fonder at that time. He bent down a little to shake the small hand and nodded, “Why hello there Mr. Peter Lau’s boy. It must be hard to be this guy’s son huh?” He joked, receiving a snort from Mr. Lau.

 

“It’s not like you’re different.” Peter Lau crossed his arms while eyeing the two who just chuckled and gave knowing glances at each other. It will be denoted as male’s significant talk for an ending but a certain loud yawn was heard not so far far away from them. And yes, it wasn’t really far. It was hiding all the time from Mr. Liu’s back knees.

 

“Did you just skip your chance to introduce what’s yours? Unfair.” Upon hearing Peter Lau’s teasing, Mr. Liu abruptly squatted and hugged his little girl who was currently rubbing her sleepy eyes. “My bad my bad! Daddy’s sorry, my Josephine.” He showered the annoyed—at the same time sleepy—face of his baby girl with kisses. No one really give awareness on how Henry was stuck just there in his place, tongue tied.

 

It was like he saw the most adorable scene ever. He doesn’t know. Nobody knows anyway, he was just 7 for planet’s sake. Maybe an attraction for a cute friend, it was just temporary—the star struck at the now pushing his father’s face by those fragile hands—but he was so wrong after the proceeding years. When fate played between people’s life, no one is exempted from that. Not even the richest of all the riches.

 

Mr. Liu pouted at his daughter’s attempt to use her elbows to block his father’s huge face from her before giving up and granted his daughter’s silent wish of space. He stood up, “I, too, was carried away. So meet my one and only precious daughter, Amber Josephine Liu.” And at the same time gestured for Amber’s presence. Peter Lau nodded and smiled towards the tiny child who wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation as she continued to rubbed her eyes while her free hand finding its way to hold her father’s back thigh.

 

Just as Peter Lau was about to speak, he was interrupted by the little devil on his side which in return, he could only roll his eyes playfully at his son’s jovial self. “Hi Hi Amber! I’m Henli!” Henry advanced a few steps and held his hand out for a shake but Amber was just staring at it and at him. That ironic situation where Henry could say Amber’s name perfectly than his own name.

 

Henry’s shoulders almost slump when Amber just hid behind Mr. Liu and buried her face there, forgetting the offered hand in the air. The two adults laughed at Henry’s dejected face and Amber’s unfriendly response. Luckily, Henry was able to come up with another try that successfully perked Amber’s interest. His left hand was holding something that Henry thought it was meant for him to bring along the way.

 

Still wearing that cheerful self, Henry lifted it up and took a further step to peek on Amber behind Mr. Liu. “Uhmm…you want to play? I have this robot with me.” Henry actually tried Cantonese and Mandarin in case Amber didn’t understand him. Yet what has this fate played on them, Amber slowly glanced at Henry until it traveled to the said toy before she reached out for her fragile left hand and touched the plastic material.

 

“The robot says Hello to you, Amber. Here, you can have it.” He urged for Amber to get the toy and that what she did. A smile crept in Amber’s face as she examined the robot before she actually now looked at Henry. Their fathers resumed to their interrupted conversation while the kids found a place not so distant from them as they played.

 

Amber, even though 4 years old, declared to herself that this Henry kid will be her first friend and the first person to understand her wholeheartedly.

 

 

 

 

~Amber’s POV~

Awkward. Of course it is! I thought I’m already used to these staring orbs but no. Can’t help fidgeting and doing crazy finger dance while Henry was busy sharing his experiences on each trip he had gotten himself into. We’re in the living room, sitting in the couch and facing each other. But Kris won’t just leave along with Luhan. The others? They’re back at their designated posts after they gathered Henry’s belongings inside.

 

I’m barely listening since half of my concern was focus on that intensively staring certain giant. He didn’t yet treat his wound and I can feel the tightness of my grip in one of the cushions. Awhile ago, before Henry could enter, they made an inspection to him. ID’s and personal data about him were even verified in Luhan’s laptop as they carefully created this aura of suspicion.

 

After that, I threw myself to hug Henry and so did he catch me. We exchanged slight curses—that’s how we greet each other—and my rant to him about why on earth did he just came late and how about my SOS and stuff. He gave me reasons as always but then presented himself now so what’s the fuss, he’d said. Hit in the back of his head and he went sulking. I just rolled my eyes. Henry begged for forgiveness and I let it off since I honestly miss the hell out of that guy.

 

I didn’t care that they’ve found out that Mochi wasn’t a girl but a male indeed. I didn’t care when Kris was grunting silently as if I can’t hear him and momentarily holding his left arm. I didn’t care when I saw a fleeting disappointment in Lay’s face when he looked between Henry and I to Kris. And most of all, I didn’t care why at that moment I haven’t feel the normal happiness whenever I see Henry.

 

But why did all of these things bother the core of my feelings? Shouldn’t I be celebrating now that Mochi was here? Or rather, isn’t it the perfect time to sketch my new scheme of escape now that I have my company and best friend? Maybe I shouldn’t be worried after all. Maybe, the scheme could wait. Maybe—

 

“—and so I really paid for that bald guy just for me to get the pass early. Can you believe that? I wasted some money for that stupid hag. But that’s not the point, isn’t it? At least, I made my way here. Right, Amber?” Henry calmed down a bit after he saw my blank look before nudging me.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

“Uh…huh? Oh yeah yeah. That went cool.” Was all I could say. I almost slap my own face when Henry raised a questioning eyebrow and I exhaled a little bit louder than necessary. “What’s wrong? Is it those guys?” He whispered faintly I thought I didn’t catch it. Shaking my head, I forced a small smile, “Nevermind them. Like I said, they’re the bodyguards my old man hired. And yes, they’re that strict.”

 

“How could Uncle Liu didn’t mention me to them? And how could they suspect me for something? Isn’t it a little bit exaggerating? I mean, that security thingy?” Henry eyed Luhan and Kris before rotating his cap on his head.

 

“Yeah, that’s what I thought too. But really, there’s a long story. Added to that, I really really had a long day. Another incident, Mochi. I thought it was the end of me.”

 

“WHAT?! What happen? How could you just let me share stupid things and yet you here! Almost head’s off and you still don’t want to share? What had change, Amber?” Henry stood up abruptly and my tired self went on alarm mode. On the corner of my right eye, I saw the slight movement of Kris and Luhan, hands on set.

 

“I—It’s not what you think! I…I…W—We just…almost got bump by some random car! Yeah, that’s it.” A lie snappishly came out of my mouth before I could process why on earth did I lie to my only companion/bestfriend. I reached for his hand and got him back to sit. His sudden outburst made the two bodyguards wary and avidly eyed us, especially Kris to Henry.

 

“Really?” Henry doubtfully asked and I nodded furiously, might as well cut my tongue out. From how those slit eyes glared at me before turning soft, I frankly know that Henry didn’t buy it. As long as he’s calm, I just need to act.

 

“I just thought the car will flip or something. That’s why. Oh, are you hungry? Let’s grab something in the kitchen. C’mon buddy!” I grabbed his arm and dragged him to the kitchen nearby, not minding his still disbelieving expression. From that moment on, telling the whole incident will freak him out and that’s the last picture I want to see from him. Therefore, I had no choice but to go with the flow.

 

Few strides, we reached the kitchen and were greeted by blackness. Alright, I didn’t notice that the sun has already set and I also didn’t quite take note on how many hours did it take for Henry to be under custody or something before we could actually enter the mighty house. Enough to consume precious time, perfect securities. Speaking of them, they didn’t fail to follow behind.

 

My fingers made random movements to search for that switch on the wall and successfully turned it on once my index finger touched it. Henry looked around and gave a small nod to himself, “Not bad. Everything’s almost here. Who’s cooking by the way?” He explored every small cabinets and hunt for something to feed his stomach.

 

“That position belongs to Lay. You know, the one who carried your bag and guitar inside.” I explained while busying myself by hunting heavenly snacks for dinner too. Henry paused not too long, recalling who carried those things for him. After a minute, he faced me. “Ah! You mean that dimpled guy?”

 

“Way to go for a first timer. Yeap! That’s definitely him.”

 

“Say, who’s that one then? The deer looking man over there.” Henry pointed behind without much looking at whom he was pointing at because of too much engrossed at his snacks. Anyone can tell who he was talking about. Unlike Henry, I can’t help but glanced at them. Kris was surprisingly quiet the whole time except from the continuous glares sent to us—more like to Henry if I’m paying much concern to it.

 

“That’s Luhan.” My voice’s almost a whisper. For some reason, I find talking about a person who was just meters away from you disrespectful. Like much worse than talking behind their back. My hands suddenly speeded up from grabbing whatever food it could take just to avoid further questions from Henry or I could just ask instead.

 

“How’s Uncle Lau doi—”

 

“Who’s the driver?” Henry asked yet then again. I could just snap at his out of the blue question. “What?” I raised my eyebrow at him. Henry continued to collect the snacks that he obviously wanted to digest.

 

“Among these so called Bodyguards, Who is the driver?” If only Henry wasn’t my best friend, I wouldn’t know that he was dead serious this time. The way he asked in a non-offended tone but I could feel the toxin in it. Why was he asking it? Was it because of the lie I told him?

 

“Hey, loosen up! What’s with this father-like question, Mochi? Come on, we can talk about it later. So uhmm, let’s bring this snacks back in the liv—”

 

“Amber.”

 

Damn. Henry’s being serious. I almost drop my source of heaven just because of his voice. I looked up and saw Henry staring at me.  I shrugged my shoulders and force a fake grin, “Well, they’re alternating so it’s really not our concern or something—”

 

“If you’re covering up for whomever he was, the moment where another life threatening I’ll hear from you or from someone else, I won’t hesitate to tell that to Uncle Liu and got them fired.”

 

“Geez man! I hate you being like that. Bring my best friend back or I’ll choke you with this bread knife!” I tried to act normally so does the bread knife menacing the now running Henry. It was good to know that I was able to bring that man back. That was my part, to make Henry not so serious or else. He can go far not just by words.

 

“Okay okay! You win! I can’t fight you with that so scary knife.”

 

“Don’t you underestimate my knife or you will find it stuck in your neck!”

 

“Yez Ma’am!” Henry saluted me like he was under my spell. I laughed in return. Afterwards, he joined in too and we almost forgot that we came there to grab something to fulfill our stomach needs. A nudge there and here, we were back to the living room and had the usual crazy conversation. Yet every minute has passed, I could witnessed Kris’ difficulty in maintaining that stoic facade of his. I am aware of the quick scrunched up face he would make. A freaking obvious sign that he was having a hard time bearing his wounded arm.

 

A stupid action of mine was about to release. An urge to where shouting at Kris to just leave the living room and freaking treat his arm. Fortunately, Lay was just in time to appear between Luhan and Kris. From afar, I can’t hear what they were talking about. Sort of news about something or whatever, I can’t tell. Yet Kris nodded on what was like Luhan and Lay’s teamwork as the two smiled at him. He sighed in defeat before glancing at us. I immediately look away, pretending that I haven’t seen anything over there and made myself interested on what Henry was talking about while eating.

 

Again, from the corner of my eye, I saw Kris slowly left with Lay leaving Luhan to guard us. They headed upstairs and on their way, a slow movement of removing the coat was the last scene I caught a glimpse of before Kris completely disappeared, oblivious to my glances. Unknowingly, a sigh of relief escaped from me.

 

“And who’s he?”

 

Henry’s voice startled me, “Huh? Who’s who?” I subconsciously dipped three more sugar cubes into my milk chocolate as I distracted myself. Henry shook his head then peeled off his back from the couch, sitting a little bit edgy. The clinking sound of my spoon stirring in my cup was the only sound that can be heard.

 

“That guy who could swallow everything just by staring.”

 

“Oh, he’s…Kris.” Period. I don’t want to talk about him. It just makes me feel guiltier. But of course, Henry has only one-sixteenth of knowledge about what had happened between Kris and I…and the rest. I could feel Henry stretched in my left side while I took a sip from my cup but immediately regretted it. Too much sugar, damn so literally sweet.

 

“He does what? Babysit you?”

 

That’s the time I almost puke my drink but held it just enough for me to spit it on the right side of the table with a tissue of course. I wiped my mouth before facing Henry, “Is that an insult to his profession or jealousy I could hear?” I with a knowing smile.

 

“Oh come on, I’m asking here. Don’t gimme that look. Hell no, I’m not jealous to his profession.”

 

“At least he’d got one. Bout you?”

 

“Hey hey! Just few steps ahead and I’ll be a great artist! You will kiss your words goodbye and hello to my fame someday!”

 

“Tsk. You’re still one airheaded guy, Mochi.”

 

“Look who’s jealous, you little Llama.”

 

We chuckled just like old times. And to say that I didn’t miss this times will be an understatement. But somewhere along this fun time, a heavy feeling that hasn’t really gone from me was still stuck there. Was it because of the guiltiness I felt? I don’t know what to assume. I am supposed to be going wild and crazy and just fun fun fun. But something really hinders me to achieve that and all I know was I don’t like this feeling at all.

 

“You still didn’t answer my question though.” Henry asked again quietly.

 

I shifted uncomfortably and rubbed my eyes, “About that…well, alright. He’s my personal bodyguard. Does that satisfy you now?” Praise the heavens my tone didn’t sound like I was irritated or something but seriously, I am a bit irritated on how persistent Henry was. Why was he interested anyway or was he just concern?

 

“That explains everything.” He exhaled a little bit louder then smiled at me. He patted his tummy before standing up, “Guess I’m full already. I don’t know if I could live with this strictness but because you are here, I’m willing to go with the same path as you. What are best friends for? Right?”

 

A grin spread on my face to his words and I can’t help but beamed at him. “Of course! You’re still the best, Mochi!”

 

 

 

 

~Kris’s POV~

It was raining all of a sudden. The traces of the endless raindrops blurred the once clear windowsill that I’m looking at. Train of thoughts never left about the two human beings downstairs. Not that I didn’t trust Luhan to look out for Amber, it was Henry that I’m slightly not comfortable with. Even though he was Amber’s childhood friend and so on, I don’t care. I can only be at peace if I’m the one who’s watching over Amber.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter