Chapter XVII

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

*Check previous chapter, for clarification that you didn’t miss that update. If yes, then ignore this*

 

From 150 to 197…tell me why it is worth writing while everybody sleeps like a log? ♥

This is based from what I uncertainly observed; to my new precious readers, please don’t skip any chapters. You might not want to miss out some small but important details of the story. Although most of the chapters are written with precise cuts as their temporary ending, that doesn’t mean it has nothing to do with the proceeding chapters.

And a great possibility of you getting confused, if you ever skip some chapters just to reach the latest update. But AGAIN, I am not forcing anyone. I’m just stating some facts though…If I sounded rude…uhm, hell someone should stop me from blabbering right now. OTL

Please do continue…

 

 

 

 

The vicinity of the grassland made it harder for me to reach the only source of light from afar. Throbbing knees, aching body, hands seized my throat. Oppressing air dragged down to my stomach, everything burns. Dropped to the meadows—abrasions visible on my arms and feet—the blurry man who kept on seizing me from behind kicked me on my side.

 

I fell deeper to the ground, choked tears and for a second, I saw myself standing on the very exact warehouse. Gun on both quivering hands, pointed to the laughing maniac. He widened his eyes in pure mock. I hated his guts. He took careless steps towards me and that was the final call.

 

I pulled the trigger, hard.

 

Hard enough to blew his head off followed by a scream.

 

Scream of terror from me.

 

I killed someone.

 

 

“Kris—”

 

As if I’ve submerged from the bottom of the sea, I blinked profusely to the familiar white ceiling, soft mattress, and moonlight rays peeking through the thin curtains. All the confusion slowly slipping away from me, I’ve realized that I was back in my room.

 

That was just a dream. Just a dream. I panted heavily and brought a hand to wipe the bullets of sweat on my forehead, along the sides of my face and down to my nape. Seems like convulsing, out of all names why ‘Kris’? Why did I desperately call for that name? Heat crawled up to my face. But on the brighter side, I felt relieved. It was nothing but a dream.

 

I turned to my left and mentally preparing myself to land face-flat on my pillow, only to bump into something sturdy. Sturdy that smells nice and masculine.

 

Wait. A. Minute.

 

I gasped and pulled a little back out of impulse. I studied what position and whom I am with at the moment. Kris lying beside—facing—me with a white tee, his right arm extended and used as my pillow for the entire time. Face so close I could hear his breath. But the even rise and fall of his chest told me he was gone to a silent slumber.

 

How in the world did we end up like this? I tried recalling but all I can remember was car, backseat, EXO-M entering the vehicle, city lights, broad shoulders, strong arms, carry, fence, house, room, pulling of someone to join me in bed, and—What the heck?

 

Kris’ left hand moved and I shifted back. He reached out, still closed eyes, and pulled me on the back of my head to his chest. Both of my hands trapped between us, using some force to push myself away again but it was futile. I writhed in discomfort.

 

“Bad dream?” He sluggishly croaked.

 

It immediately made me stop writhing like a strangled impala or something. I didn’t even notice that our limbs down there were tangled to each other, making my face warm—embarrassed. Am I that drunk or chicken to even request him for staying or sleeping beside me? I really really really want to punch myself back there. This was so absurd I want to shrink.

 

But then, I found myself nodding idly.

 

“Do you want to talk about it? It might help or you prefer—”

 

“Killedsomeone.”

 

A silence before Kris pulled a little, “What?”. It was muffled by how close I am to the thin clothing of Kris that somehow let me think if he did sense how I mumbled through that chest of his. “I—nothing—just…” and why was I stammering?

 

“You’re alright, Amber. You’re alright.” Kris reassured, fingers skimmed my back in a caring manner but brought shivers to my whole frame. Man, this is sensual. I moved my stiff muscles and looked up at him.

 

“We are…okay, right?” I whispered back. Don’t even ask why.

 

“Mmm. Now, sleep.” He instructed and as shamelessly as I could be, I snuggled closer to the point where my nose settled on the arch of his neck. Just like me, Kris settled his left arm on the curve of my waist. I ignored anything that would ruin the innocence of the atmosphere. Regardless, not totally.

 

“What time is it?”

 

“Don’t know.”

 

I raised an eyebrow, “Is this the first time I am asking you a simple question that you can’t afford to answer?”

 

“Well, blame me not. I am exhausted myself too and checking the time after stirring from sleep is not in the list of my mood right now. So Young Mistress, can you go back to sleep?”

 

“I want to know what time is it.”

 

“No sun so three or something.” Kris was getting annoyed and from the experience of his sleep deprivation, I am just provoking him. I smirked. I would like to annoy him more. Just felt like doing it.

 

“Just because there’s no sun dancing doesn’t mean it’s automatically three, you know.”

 

“Nightmares happen at three or four. So that’s my prediction.”

 

“Predictions aren’t always accurate especially when it comes from a sleepy head person like you.”

 

“Amber, I am stating basics here.”

 

“It can be one or two or five, at least?”

 

“Amber—”

 

“Doesn’t always requires an answer of three, right? You should include that in your knowledge too, Mister bodyguard.”

 

“Can you not—”

 

“You aren’t on your best vigilant figure now, are yo—”

 

Basically, I never learned how to shut my mouth when it was needed. Being pressed on the mattress with a giant hovering you was something out of the picture. My hands fell on either side of my ears, grabbed firmly by the frigid face. I stared widely blank at him. He stared back with an ardent look. I swallowed uneasily.

 

“You were saying?”

 

His breath passed the pores of my skin to the contour of my mouth. I intensely tensed up. The stiffness in me almost suffocates me and some beatings in my ribcage I wish he couldn’t hear. Either he knew it or didn’t care, Kris continued to stare at me. A stare that was undistinguishable or was he good at hiding it? I don’t know.

 

“He—Kris—he-heavy!” I whimpered underneath him and used all my force to push him. Thank God he instantly detected my problem and rolled back to my left. I huffed so loud to the right, palms clutching on my chest. I felt some weird sensation that shouldn’t be there from the first place. What just happen?

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“You’ll be the death of me, seriously Kris.”

 

“I don’t think so. I won’t let that happen, remember?”

 

“I mean—meant or mean, whatever. Forget it.”

 

“Willing to sleep now?”

 

“What? No—yes. Yes.”

 

I am still not facing him while I answered. I can’t seem to lift the feeling of something that concerned cheesy stuff that I, myself, can’t even dare say it. Damn, leave that stuff to black hole. When a creaking sound was produced, courtesy of the moving giant behind me, I braced myself for what was about to come.

 

“Am I…making you uncomfortable?” Kris carefully asked which hit an arrow straight to bull’s eye. I gripped the pillow sheet, crumpled under my fist for its poor luck. An obliged shook of head, I mustered some response, “Don’t be ridiculous. I should’ve kicked you out of here and wouldn’t ask for your compensation a while ago if I am uncomfortable with you.” Lies.

 

“Good to know. But I can wait outsi—”

 

“I asked for you to stay and that doesn’t change one bit.”

 

“Oh. Alright, then.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

I didn’t say anything after that but I kept on getting chills even though the temperature inside the room was just as normal as breathing. I hugged my torso and stayed still, not long for a person like me though.

 

“You were right all the time. You warned me about my old man’s archenemies. About the life-threatening situations that’s bound to happen. What did I do? I didn’t listen. You warned me that they wouldn’t care if my body froze dead. They—All they care is about money, revenge, and, well, money and positions in the company. Merchandises and all those nonsense. I think it’s funny now that reality slaps me in the face like some sort of big wake up call to a stubborn person like me. You were right. You are always right.” I guiltily admitted out of nowhere.

 

“Is this true? The Amber Josephine Liu is self-reflecting? Correct me if I misheard it.”

 

“You want a slap back to basics, Kris? Coz it’s my honor to do so.”

 

A chuckle. I thought we have another company. Wrong. It was from Kris and was surprisingly good to the ears. I resisted myself from turning around and face him while he chuckles. I batted my eyelids, dumbfounded that we can even converse as normally as other people could do. Except that, throwing light insults and sarcasms were more ordinary than having some girly girl talk.

 

“Being stubborn at your age is naivety. Considerable and understandable.”

 

“Talking about age huh. I didn’t see that ‘considerable and understandable’ when you shoot a bullet passed above my head and when you threatened me to shoot yourself if I don’t abide your command in walking straight to reach you and confiscating my phone like a strict giant you are.” I felt Kris watching me attentively.

 

“You have such a pretty memory. Should I be flattered by it?”

 

“And should I be surprised by how casually you are addressing me in this very moment, Kris Wu. You sure know that you’re kind of breaking your walls now that—” I faced him this time. I can’t hold it much longer. Throwing retorts without actually confronting the other party of the said argument was hard. Lack of luminosity around the room was additionally difficult to set the mood of authority I would like to come up with.

 

But all of that was crashed the second Kris boldly pulled me to an embrace. The side of his face met mine. Warm lips ghosted over my right ear, my hands clasped involuntarily to the hem of his T-shirt and a short whimper was released from my mouth. That was beyond mortification. I tried hiding my face back to his chest.

 

“Will you hate me?” Kris sincerely asked with all that husky voice he has. For the first time, that was the most sincere question I’ve ever heard from him. And why all of a sudden?

 

“For what?”

 

“For doing…this?”

 

“Do you see a flying fist on your face?”

 

“Amber—”

 

“You’re being an idiot, Kris. Don’t make me think I am agreeing to some illegal embezzlement.”

 

“Should I take that as a no, then?”

 

“Shutup will you? I thought it was obvious enough to be natural. Why are you still asking?”

 

Kris sighed and that, my friend, wasn’t a very nice idea. Because some soothing warm air flew across to my ear and I instantaneously yelped at the sensation. That was…already a sort of intimacy in my dictionary.

 

“Don’t do that!”

 

“Sorry, did I hurt you? What happen?” He touched my cheeks, making my head looked up at him and the heat on my face couldn’t get any hotter. I swatted his hands away.

 

“N-nothing—just please forget it.”

 

“Amber, look—”

 

“No, no, no. I am fine, Kris.”

 

“No, you’re not.”

 

Damn, he’s incessant too.

 

“Yes, I am freaking fine. What makes you think you’ll hurt me when actually, all you could utter the whole time you were here is to protect and save me? Some logic should function in there, think about it.”

 

He was silent to that. I barely noticed how he blinked fast and how his eyes wavered slightly to his own awkward self. I hated how the turn up event went like it crossed the borders of the forbidden. But there was no doubt I sensed a new aura from him. An aura of guilt and somewhat that kind of thing where you were the only one rumors didn’t reach.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter