Chapter XIV

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Silence, I thought I’d gone deeply into a peaceful slumber. Ruining it could only mean two things; either that person wants his death wish to be granted or a fence of protection went askew. If the reason was neither of those in choices, then I’ll pray for the safeness of this creature. Smooth pushes on my side until I felt how my head bobbed up and woke with wide eyes. I blinked.

 

“Five am.” Came a whisper from Yixing.

 

I rolled my eyes and gently rubbed the sleepiness then nodded. So I just slept for like 2 or 3 hours and I swear anytime soon I could swing both ways from sleep deprivation. Never knew standing on my guard just watching Amber snoring and that hamster guy taking in all into his dreamland could felt like killing someone. This wasn’t sufficient, my sleep that is. And my awkward position from the whole hours didn’t contribute any help at all to my aching numb limbs.

 

“Luhan got something. Come on, still have enough time for you to do your daily rituals.” Yixing smiled while helping me stand on both feet, I swatted his hands away when his mumbled jumble into coherent words. Rituals? Hey, they can’t blame me for taking care of my skin in that way. It was my thing spending extra minutes especially to my face than any other parts.

 

“Luhan said what?” hoarse voice spoke and I have to clear my throat for keeping the normality back while Yixing eyed me. I didn’t drift my attention to anywhere else other than to the still sleeping figures in the room. He trailed where I was looking and he clicked his tongue, “Duizhang, she’s safe. I, no, we can guarantee that. We’ve been doing backtracks about Henry and as far as what the information is showing, he’s not even a bit suspicious person next to Amber.”

 

“Still…not sure.” I said, scratching my head messily.

 

Yixing sighed, patted my back and urged me to exit Amber’s room. Once we’re outside, Yixing closed the concrete door behind him without making any comical sound and that was all it takes from me to snap back, “Wait! Nobody’s watching them! What if that Henry wakes up? What if that Henry guy abducts her? What…Hey Yixing let me through!” I didn’t know I was half-way shouting until a hand clasped my mouth and a frown with a glare sent directly to me.

 

“You’re so loud Kris! Calm down. What’s got into you? Didn’t I just say she’s safe? Knock back to your senses right now or I will personally send a letter to The Elders stating our Leader went nuts and in a need of Chinese comatose herbs at this moment.” That…successfully wake the hell out of me. I sounded paranoid and a freak and a what? On a period or something near that?

 

The clasped on my mouth disappeared as Yixing nodded to himself after my behavior. His expression softened and gave me an apologetic look. I let myself heave a deep sigh and shook my head in mild embarrassment. Luckily, it was Yixing who drove me out.

 

“Now, move coz the Sun’s already pricking its light out and oh please Kris, don’t exhale too much. Morning breath’s not friendly.”

 

“Why you—”

 

“Bath, now!” A harsh push and I was in my room, not waiting for my retort as Yixing slammed the door perfectly shut. Wow, that midget! He’s freaking fortunate he’s too good to be on the affirmative side of this argument. I huffed and grabbed the nearest towel my sight caught off.

 

 

 

☯ ☯ ☯

I made my way downstairs, only slowing the movements of descending when their voices were clear enough to be heard from there. It didn’t take me seconds to realize what the conversation was all about. I was really on the rim of turning back upstairs and just supply my lack of sleep. Geez, of all mornings. Those two weren’t really on their ages.

 

“LUHAN! You stupid deer! Did you just use my toothbrush AGAIN?!” Xiumin shouted, right hand gripping the almost bent toothbrush while his left hand clenching the doorknob of their room. I touched my ears, feeling it for awhile as if it will be pulled out any minute. From my right, Luhan came out from the living room and happily skipped back to Xiumin’s direction. I followed him lazily to the left.

 

“Baozi! That’s a fine quick assumption. I’m hurt.” Luhan said in a coyly manner while approaching the fuming Xiumin. Didn’t he know that Xiumin may actually punch that living sensation out of his all dreamy face? Well, goodluck to that. Glares from Xiumin were left unnoticed by Luhan, still skipping like a kid from an 80’s movie. He reached out for Xiumin, arms spread to gesture what he was about to do.

 

Xiumin narrowed his eyes, “It’s perfect to know that I just scrub this freaking toothbrush on the bathroom’s floor last night. Better yet fluctuate your set of teeth before it’s too late.” A slammed of a door, a jaw-dropped Luhan and a tugged of my right lips upward happened at the same time. Subconsciously, I heard myself chuckling at the situation. Damn, that abandoned arms of Luhan fell from his side. It was funny.

 

“Out of that reverie, you have some discussion to do.” I said while patting his right shoulder. I walked pass him, opening their room and was greeted by the other members inside already sitting and talking. Xiumin was still in his printed cartoon deer pajamas and—wait, deer? Remind me to tell Luhan to stop giving Xiumin things that represents himself. It’s getting creepy really.

 

I purposely left the door open and found a chair nearby. Chen and Tao were playfully hitting each other on Luhan’s bed, Lay was arranging the laptop, Xiumin went back to the bathroom and from what I assume, he threw the toothbrush to the trash bin already while Luhan was…still processing what his Baozi just did, I guess.

 

My face contorted when I saw what was flashing on the screen; the interior and exterior of the bullet. Lay nodded to himself after fixing whatever that is on the laptop. He glanced around, “Xiumin hyung, just take a bath later. We need to know something—Where’s Luhan?” Lay landed his eyes on me. I shrugged, got up and took a few steps to the where they gathered around. I pointed to my back using my thumb, “Slap him in case he’s still gaping.”

 

Lay shook his head and sighed. Obviously, Xiumin was lying about the toothbrush-scrub-in-the-floor thing but Luhan was dumb enough to believe his Baozi. Can’t blame him though, the trust he has to that supposedly elder-like guy was beyond eternity. And Lay wasn’t that outdated about the two either. He exited the room at once.

 

“Xiumin gege, you should take those words back. Lay gege can’t lie to him, you know. Just imagine what Luhan gege might do to you.” Tao mockingly stated when Xiumin immerged out from the bathroom with a huff. “Don’t care. I think it’s time for him to know that I’m sick of buying another set of toothbrush. How in the world does he even use it when I had already used it first?” He slumped to his own mattress, face planted.

 

“Plain eww.” Chen said with disgust noticeable in his tone, exaggerating the ‘eww’ part. Tao laughed hard to it while Xiumin gave up on life. Picturing out how Xiumin scrub it and Luhan used it afterwards, I can’t help but chuckle again at the imagination. My insides tickled and I sort of let it out.

 

“I don’t think you’re even in a position to laugh right now, Mighty Kris.”

 

I turned to my right and saw Luhan followed by Lay at the doorway. Smirk came up on my lips, “Why don’t you see your reaction after hearing Xiumin’s great response back there? You’ll find yourself clutching your stomach. I promise.”

 

This time the laughter was so loud, courtesy of Tao and Chen with the addition of clapping and hitting each other, slight tears visible in their eyes. Even though I felt bad for Luhan, it was still goddamn funny. Been ages since I had fun like this with these idiots. Luhan glared, more like kicked-in-the-face look for me. Just saying. He averted his glare, eyeing Xiumin instead.

 

“It’s not funny lying to me, Baozi.” Luhan trudged to Xiumin’s figure.

 

“Yeah, says the one who found it funny using his friend’s toothbr—HEY! WHA—” Xiumin was cut off immediately by the pulling Luhan. He was turned around, lifted in the air milliseconds and landed on Luhan’s firm arms; bridal style. For a guy as thin as Luhan to carry Xiumin, I am quite impressed.

 

“PUT ME DOWN! LUHAN! I AM STILL YOUR HYUNG!”

 

“Not unless you won’t lie to me again.”

 

“Argh! This is embarrassing! Guys! HELP ME!”

 

Nobody wanted to interfere Luhan if he was being serious, so my useless members turned away from the sight and focused on what was on the screen this time. Lay typed something on it while I waited for some information. Xiumin and Luhan’s bickering didn’t stop there, serving it as the background around the concrete walls.

 

“Luhan gege is sure manly this time.” Tao whispered.

 

“Tell him that, he won’t be able to stop squealing.” Chen reminded.

 

“Huh? I said manly not a girl noticed by his crush.”

 

“Oh, it’s a contradiction alright. It means don’t freaking praise him or else he’ll be possess, get it?”

 

Damn right, it was getting on my nerves. Fun was enough. I’m still struggling between closing my tired eyes and waking up for the sake of waking up. Running my hand onto my face, I cleared my throat loud enough for the vibration to make impact. Lay, Chen and Tao looked up to me while mine stared at the hyungs.

 

“Agent 4, please put Agent 6 down and ing proceed to the purpose of this meeting. I am willingly free to kill one of you right now and will just regret it after I wake up from sleep.” The effect of cursing from a person who refrain himself cursing around s were an immediate response of the meaningful looks they’d shared. I’m the worst when it comes to sleep deprivation. They should know better than that.

 

Xiumin jumped off from Luhan, not waiting for the latter to gently put him down. He sent glares to Luhan and simply wanted to walk to where we were settled. Of course, Luhan wouldn’t approve of that. He hastily grabbed Xiumin’s wrist and walked them off together with a struggling Xiumin. I hope Luhan was happy by now.

 

“Ok, business.” Luhan begrudgingly let his Baozi go and decided to be serious but with a wink to Xiumin’s side. Really, how many times will Luhan show his affection to his obsession? I need this two separated for a while. Luhan’s gone psycho. He tilted his laptop’s screen, facing it slanting enough for all of us to see.

 

“This bullet is 5.7mm round. And guess what, I found out that they possessed the same guns we are using. In fact, it was way too familiar I even come to a conclusion that something is going on here. But I don’t want to name things I’m not 100% sure of.” Luhan bit his lips, a sign where he didn’t trust his own explanation. I carefully observed the slide show of the bullet.

 

“So you’re saying,” Lay started after seconds of stillness, “that it might be some people from Agent’s World had done this?” My ears refused to believe those words though. Chen, Xiumin and Tao looked expectantly to me. I just focused my stare to the screen.

 

“Maybe and maybe not. We’ve been out from our Quarter for so long ever since we were assigned to some missions. Who knows? We don’t even get to know the new rookies there. Not that I’m suspecting them. Regarding Henry Lau’s issue, I’ve tracked him and it’s Mr. Liu who gave his permission of approval to Henry about Amber’s destination. Clearly stating that Mr. Liu trusted Henry to give his daughter’s hide out and Henry met Mr. Liu personally in China before travelling here in Korea. So Henry Lau, out of the distrust section.”

 

“And what reasons will they have to harm Amber?” Lay asked about the first topic instead.

 

“There’s a possibility that they are given orders from people who wants to take revenge on Mr. Liu, right? Since Mr. Liu got tons of rivals in terms of business that unfortunately dig deeper like personal reasons.” Chen said.

 

“I don’t know what to believe.” Xiumin sighed, leaning his arms on the back of Lay’s chair.

 

“Are you guys doubting our home Quarter?” Tao whispered. Even from his tone, he refused to believe where this conversation was going. Chen and Luhan lowered their gazes. The answer was obvious. Agents must be wary at every cost even if that means doubting the place that raised you, half of your life.

 

“Don’t you think they’re playing with us if ever they’re the one who caused all of this problem? I mean, assigning us to protect Young Mistress while targeting us at the same time? Come on, where’s the logic in that?” Lay explained immediately.

 

“Then explain to me why the traces of this bullet from Kris’ wound directed to the guns our Quarter distributed to us Agents. You know best since your Agent 2, Zhang Yixing, which our world provided the guns only for us and not for other normal people to use.” Luhan dared to differ.

 

Lay was quiet so do all of us. I wanted to laugh at the possibility. A crazy possibility; wasting their time training us just to kill us after ages? What? Are they playing with fire? I don’t think they can risk that much but what do we know exactly? Aside from accepting their orders to do this and that? Reality was slowly sinking in my senses. I have—needed— to form a wise judgment on this matter.

 

“Lack of sources and verifications.” I blurted out. They whipped their heads to my direction. I folded my arms over my chest. Luhan’s eyebrows creased. I proceeded, “We can’t just base this supposition to the only source you’d used, Agent 4. Though, I’m not implying that the supposition itself is wrong because there’s a high probability that it may lead to solutions anyway.”

 

They didn’t object. I took that as a sign to continue. “Therefore, I can put our home Quarter on the list of between innocent and suspect, that’s where it will stay for the meantime. If you have any sufficient proposals then let me hear it out.”

 

All of them nodded except that Luhan was the only one who fidgeted. My eyes went sharp, “Got something on your mind?” I asked him. The members went confused and glanced between us. He flinched when he heard my voice. He knew I was talking to him.

 

“I…I have talked…” Luhan faked a cough. “I have talked to Agent 6 of…EXO-K.”

 

Was it betrayal I felt then? It didn’t even make sense because we weren’t on bad terms to the other group but then neither on good terms. We were just neutral. Speaking if needed but not to the point where friendship starts. We avoided them as much as they will avoid us, only encountering them when Leeteuk and Eunhyuk wanted us to have some formal Agents meeting. During lunch breaks, two groups seated afar from each other. Some of their members can’t handle the tolerance of seeing us, same with mine. Both group inhabited issue problems.

 

Either it was about the battle we had or something personal, I don’t know. For me, I let it go but sometimes I will find myself despising them with no suitable reason. The guts they have, maybe. The looks they will shoot our group, maybe. The clicking of tongues when our group name was announced on an upcoming mission, maybe. They have their own reasons, so does my group.

 

“Oh Sehun?” Xiumin was the one who spoke now. Luhan glanced at him and nodded. Great, I raised my eyebrows. How come these two communicate without us knowing? Moreover, how did they contact each other from the first place?

 

“So, what’s the deal?” I asked, not so fond of talking about the other group.

 

Luhan sighed, “I wasn’t really confident on my own analysis so I asked Oh Sehun to look for it. But I didn’t tell him that I’d done my part. I just want to know if he’ll be able to come up with the same answer.”

 

“Did he give you satisfactory then?” Chen asked with a frown. Luhan hesitated before nodding, “Yes, he did, almost the same results. He was even surprised. But since their leader is having the time of his life protecting his personal client, EXO-K is separated temporarily. Oh Sehun, Park Chanyeol and Do Kyungsoo still on our home Quarter while the others, supporting their leader on the mission. That’s why I asked for investigation.” Luhan shrugged but frown afterwards, “He told me something though.”

 

My ears was curt enough to hear every words Luhan was about to utter. “And that is?” I feigned disinterested.

 

“The Elders summoned of changing the gun’s design.”

 

 

My breath almost hitches.

 

 

 

 

~Amber’s POV~

When Henry’s small towel slid off of his head, I snatched it abruptly and placed it on my dripping hair instead while beginning to save my life by running around the room. I laughed, running and didn’t mind where I was going. Henry was chasing me, “Amber! Give that back, I’m trying to dry my hair here.”

 

“Excuse you Mister but this is my towel. It’s your fault not bringing a very simple small towel like this with you. So don’t blame me, this is my property.” I chortled when Henry narrowed his already narrow eyes and clumsily ran after me. I screamed in joy and in anxiety because there’s no way in this room I will be able to escape his long striding limbs.

 

I was the first one to finish my bath that time but didn’t mind myself to dry my hair with the blower. I guess, I wanted it soaking wet for a minute. Henry was fast enough from bathing and soon, accompanied me in the room. It brought back old memories, like when we were in high school. Often times, he will sleep over in my house. No malice, no uncomfortable feelings, just like real blood siblings. He will take a bath and change their inside before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter