Chapter XIX

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked bitterly, more like accusing him for showing up. Henry’s smile faltered a bit. He stood there, looking guilty but tried to compose himself however. I am on both feet now, all the stress I am feeling rushed to my head. The confident vibe he wore was slowly evaporating from the clinginess in him seconds ago. It wouldn’t take a fool to read what kind of atmosphere currently fogged up in this room.

 

“Amber,” Henry made a hesitant move away from the doorframe, soon walking wearily towards my direction and I had all the willpower to restrain myself from giving him a blow of heavy fist on the nose. He stopped, leaving respectable distance from here. Knowingly that he sensed the caged anger inside me, soon to be unleashed any minute if he dared come closer.

 

“I know alright. I’ve been an . You have every right to feel angry and—”

 

"You don’t get to tell me how to feel." I was furious.

 

"I thought it would be easier to leave." The downcast of his eyes told me he was blaming his self-willed personality. Because Henry is the type of person where his opinions were facts to him and he will follow what he wants, no further debate for that. Once a self-willed person decides, it was final.

 

"That’s the best you could come up with? Well look here, Mister Henry Lau. I don’t spend my precious time with someone who can’t even treat his own bestfriend the respect that is there to provide." I snapped dryly. This is sick. I just can’t be with him in one place. I need to vent my frustration, anger, all those pessimism that stuck to me for months out.

 

“Amber, hear me out. I’ve tried…I have tried to tell myself to inform you but the mere fact that I want it to be a surprise homecoming—”

 

“Surprise homecoming? What are we? Highschoolers?”

 

“That’s not the point,” Henry furrowed his brows, hand gestures involuntarily came along with his explanation, “the moment I met Kris and the other figurines, I realized that to set a decent goal might take me to places, might seize great opportunities and might as well impress you. You see, we can’t just be contented in where we are back then—dancing, singing, performing—we need or I rather, need to at least be ambitious. Someone that you can be proud of, someone that can protect and inherit the wealth that is soon to be passed to me when time comes, someone that’s worth it and not just a nobody. Just like you, Amber. That’s why I didn’t say anything. I wrote a letter, containing some slight hints of what I want to become in a brighter hope that you won’t hold grudges against me.”

 

He stares at me seriously. I didn’t move, too choleric to be taken away by the sudden confession.

 

“And this is my surprise homecoming for you since we’re already here, China, where a seven year old and a four year old kids met. And right now, I can proudly say that we’re both a somebody that everyone looks up to.”

 

At those words, I was incapable of what to retort that will sound rational. He’s elucidated it thoroughly. He has filled the missing blanks but my mind refused to eradicate the bitterness that I can still taste within me. My fingers found its way to my hair, brushing the confusedness with it. And Henry took that as the chance to step closer.

 

I held my hand out in a defense mode, “Stop right there.”

 

“Amber…”

 

"No! Shutup. That statement alone can't justify the repetition of your vanish-ta-da-I'm-back-again-hello-there crap, Henry." I am outraging but I balled my fists in order to contain the ounce of self-control that was thinning every minute passed by in this predicament.

 

Sunlight drifted from the huge glasses of the office, making small exquisite hues of rainbows on the marbled opaque floor, adding effects and casting on the sides of our standing figures. Shadows languidly expanding it almost consumed the wall on my left, forgotten documents on the main table and the blazer sat neatly to where it was placed undisturbed. Still, my burning glare didn’t waver.

 

“I know. I am wrong, making you always wait for me but I ended up regretting it.” He sounded sincere then continued, “Does that mean you won’t forgive me? Another chance, maybe? None?” Even if his eyes held both guilt and defiant, Henry is my bestfriend. Somehow, grudges don’t stay long in a person like myself but I don’t tend to let him easily get what he wants.

 

“I dunno. This is something that doesn’t require an instant answer. If I grow tired of being upset about it, maybe…I just don’t know.” I muttered, momentarily frowning at the turn-out event. That’s it. I can’t just give in. Before Henry could even move a muscle, I hastily grabbed my blazer on the couch, heels beside and walked pass him.

 

“Wait, Amber. Think this through.” Henry caught my right wrist and turned me back to face him.

 

“If I were you, I will let go of the wrist if you treasure your hand for life.” I threatened coldly, tone clear with no trace of the humble person I used to be.

 

“I need my bestfriend, please.” His voice laced with desperate recognition but I surprised myself by jerking his hand away, incredulous even because of acknowledging the word bestfriend.

 

“This is ridiculous. You, using ‘bestfriend’ when you can’t even act like one. Don’t make me laugh.”

 

Henry looked afflicted, lips forming thin line, dejectedly hid his hand to his pocket with an expression of a stressed young adult. I may regret what I say in the future but as for now, I don’t care. Or I don’t want to care. This was the worse argument we’ve ever come so far. We quarrel like what normal bestfriends do but not to the point where hurtful words spat like fire of agony that been kept for years.

 

I turned so I could not witness anymore of his hurt look before unfolding my blazer, putting it on with enough force, leaving the heels on the floor temporarily. Henry was unnervingly quiet at the moment, I was expecting him to be persistent but he was showing some changes and I bit my tongue to swallow the words that wanted to spill like ‘Oh hey mochi, I was just kidding this whole time and yeah so allow me to praise your little maturity level contrasting to the us back then.’

 

A beep was heard, echoed through the silence and I was more grateful that it chose that right timing, “Young Liu, I would like to notify you that the meeting will start in five minutes. Mr. Peter Lau and Mr. Liu would like an early discussion for early dismissal. Be prepared. I also believe that Mr. Henry Lau is assigned to fetch you so please cooperate. See you in the meeting and don’t be adamant now, will you.”

 

It was Victoria. That woman really. I rushed to my table and quickly scanned the documents. This was uncalled for or I wasted enough time for Henry and now what, I don’t even have any idea what topic for today’s discussion is all about. The whoosing of pages deafened me which I cherished by then, but my concentration was interrupted when a hand held mine.

 

My reflex told me to spin around and punch him in the guts or on the nose where I wanted not so long ago. Yet flashbacks reeled into those days when Henry sabotaged his project just to save me from getting detention alone. Those days when Henry carried me on his back because of some disastrous rejection from rapping audition which I’ve became drunk the whole night after and he cooed saying I better off singing with guitars and of course, basketball. Those days when he showed repulsion of disgust because some interested boys didn’t know how to properly approach me, let alone confess to me.

 

And that time where Henry and I escaped during a noble gatherings of Lau and Liu family. That caused so much chaos, leaving the two well-known families to contact every connection they have, our faces broadcasted and getting unwanted attention from the citizens. We escaped because we weren’t fond of business talks, formal stuff and all those nonsense. Searching for that massive basketball court in California, we stayed there for six hours and not even more than that, we were greeted by aggrieved faces of Mister and Missis Lau and Liu.

 

“I thought you would understand me. But I am willing to hear anything from you about this matter. I won’t leave for nothing if I cannot guarantee myself to come back for you, you know that.” Henry said in a quiet tone. I stared blankly at the pages still on grasped while he steadily held my hands. My back facing him but that didn’t discourage him to reach out, circled his arms over my arms.

 

I froze and left dumbfounded. His hands lingered in a way where I can almost hear his apology through it before he finally let go and patted my head, “I’ll wait outside with the new set of figurines. Heh, I mean bodyguards then we’ll walk together to the meeting. Take your time.”

 

Retreating footsteps, door opened and closed from behind. I dropped the folder on my desk and held the edges of the table for support. I certainly cannot hold grudges, especially to the person whom I knew for almost half of my life. Maybe I was expelling it to Henry because I can’t accept the fact that another person has left me for no concrete reason. Maybe I am not extremely mad about Henry and mine’s friendship. Maybe…maybe because I heard no explanation from that person.

 

From Kris himself.

 

 

 

 

☯ ☯ ☯

The meeting went smoothly without unnecessary comments of the present clerks, sided with the PL Company. I was asked to introduce the basics of Liu Company to the keen ears of Mr. Peter Lau and to the son, Henry, as well. Victoria jotted every new topics and plans discussed by both parties. Suho, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun distributed in each corners of the room while the rest remained outside.

 

It wasn’t hard for me to master up all the courage whenever I stood behind the screen where discussions for marketing took place. Few convincing words here and there, I can see nods everywhere and that’s all it takes to glance at the smile etched on my old man’s face.

 

“There are few recent crises I want to discuss but let us save that for another time.” Henry stated after a brief revelation of his upcoming project for their company. The room that was silent minutes ago burst into several voices that lead to jumbled conversations. I would be lying if I don’t admit that it did make me curious.

 

Before I know it, I heard my own voice asking, “Why would you save it for another time when clearly a topic that involves crisis is a must top priority to prevent piled up incorporate cases? Hence, if it concerns a large amount of financing then another crisis might add to the unwanted exertion.”

 

Everyone’s heads looked at me, faded mutters of conversation left no trace at once. They seem to be rethinking about it too now that I mentioned it. I expected at least an evident distaste in Henry’s face due to the disrespectful tone of my inquiry but all I got in response was Henry’s knowing smile, staring at me squarely in the eyes.

 

“I’d figured out you would ask, Young Liu.” He circled the long vertical table that separated us, almost as if waltzing his way to my direction. I have to generate my mind for more valid reasons to object in case he replied with more competence. I can’t lose to him. No, I refused to.

 

“PL Company is known to be good virus, spreading across the globe with its unquestionably strong relationship with major benefactors. It is not an unforeseen strategy that PL Company owns many of those infamous restaurants, is it?” Henry rested his left arm on the headrest of my chair, softly swiveling it so we could once again face each other. I hated how he took this as the possibility to act like nothing’s wrong between us. And I should be reprimanding myself that professional and personal lives don’t merge well together.

 

 “What are you enunciating?” I asked because this is really getting confusing. I want him to drop the bomb already and quit with the play of superiority, leaving me like a child lost between crowds.

 

Henry leaned in, I touched my back further to my chair and he spoke, “Dinner at Lau’s first restaurant. Seven pm sharp. Explains why both companies agreed to early dismissal. Your presence is essential, Amber Josephine Liu.”

 

My mind whirled and whirled. The unexpected invitation left me stunned, picturing out a troublesome wealthy dinner of families, luxurious suits and dresses, clinking cocktails of wines, piano notes of the Best of Mozart music played as the background on the grand dinner gatherings of the Liu and the Lau. Hell no. As much as possible, I am not yet all set to be part of those. I just can’t stand admiring the given prosperity. I prefer normal occasions but who am I kidding? I know escaping this time requires lots of lies and evidences.

 

Chuckles and round of applauses filled the room. I averted my gaze to Mr. Lau and my old man. They both wore genuine and expectant smiles. My stomach lurched. Just by thinking, I don’t have any choice but not to wipe those smiles away. This day could get any worse. I want to slump or plank on the floor, drop-faking-dead.

 

Henry pulled back and crossed his arms, triumph smirk flaunted on his lips. I saw Victoria beside him making small claps with a grin. Across the room, Baekhyun joined in clapping until he flinched away when Kyungsoo motioned some sign that showed ‘Behave yourself or you’ll be getting a pinch that would last long on your skin.’

 

“This is wonderful. It’s been awhile since we’ve heard of the Liu and the Lau Families had bonded like this.” One of the employees remarked.

 

“Indeed it is. What can we say? Our little buds blossomed on this very day. This necessitates a celebration of both respected companies.” Peter Lau affirmed which earned another round of applause and a few cheers there. My old man grinned, lightly slapping Peter Lau’s shoulder with a heartened chuckle. I would be the most heartless antagonist if I dare rip those happy moments from my father. So I chose to shut my mouth. I don’t trust any words that I could utter about the situation.

 

“Alright ladies and gentlemen, thank you for the continuous support you honorable people have for both PL and Liu Company. Once again, I am Henry Lau. Let’s call it a day.”

 

Louder cheers this time, words of appraisals and Thank Goodness we are allowed to leave early today left the lips of the present employees. The doubled doors opened, courtesy of Kai letting the departing workers flowed out of the conference room while Sehun and Chanyeol stood undisturbed outside. Kyungsoo and Suho carefully looked over the exiting people with Baekhyun giving them friendly smiles and curt bows.

 

“So,” my old man started after everyone cleared the room that left Peter Lau, Henry, Victoria, bodyguards and I alone, “I supposed I will be heading to the restaurant with my dear friend here first. Looking forward to be part of the most punctual in such age.”

 

“Of course. Ah, speaking of it,” Peter Lau glanced at his wristwatch, “we still have enough time to pick out the best recipes and distribute invitations to some colleagues we might want to invite for the gathering.”

 

“That would be wise.” My old man replied. I shifted on my feet, swaying a bit, and waiting in vain for the indication of the conversation to tone down. When Peter Lau decided to have a word to Henry, I took steps towards my old man and about to speak.

 

“My Josephine, you did great awhile ago. I am proud.” He disrupted, full of glee in his complimenting words and hugged me not so tightly. I didn’t return the hug though.

 

“Old man, may I take a sick leave?” My voice barely heard, afraid that his jovial self would turn into aversion. But it’s too late, his face fell abruptly. Not with disappointment or irritation but with concern.

 

“Why? Are you feeling sick? Something’s wrong?” His palm laid a hand on the surface of my forehead and I shook my head.

 

“No, not at all. I’m just…Can I pass for tonight’s gathering? I mean, I’ve got loaded of projects waiting in line and I need more time on studying them. I haven’t really prepared any rebuttal to the other cases—”

 

“Josephine, you can’t miss this out. Give a little consideration because this is as important as those projects that involve both companies.”

 

Knew it. He wouldn’t let me go this time. But I don’t plan on lying to him either because I did that in th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter