Chapter XII

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The sound of the silent air dancing around the room, making the temperature colder by the minute unexpectedly woke me up from my grateful sleep. If I’m not mistaken, I vaguely remember my dream but I know that it somewhat contained about my past. Lethargically sitting up, I found no one except from myself. That was a long nap. Lay indeed was true to his words. He always wakes up earlier than the rest of us.

 

Before I could drag myself to the willingly open bathroom, I heard raw voices downstairs. Of course, they would be wide awake by this time. Today, I’m late again. It happens either if I’m depressed or got really affected by something before sleeping. Judging by what had happen yesterday, it got to be that unforeseen punishment. I took a shower afterwards.

 

25 minutes later, I stood in the living room—crossed arms—and watched Amber with Lay talking across the room, beside the kitchen. Amber looked like she was really worried about Lay’s condition but Lay was reassuring her that it was nothing. Forget it like it didn’t happen because it was nothing compared to what we’ve experienced. She seemed convinced after Lay’s long explanation.

 

Our eyes met for a second. Amber rolled them before looking back at Lay. So what now? I’m the bad guy? Whether she liked it or not, I’m not that childish to discontinue my assigned job just because she wouldn’t talk or look at me. Sensing presence beside me, I didn’t budge in my leaning position.

 

“Eh? What’s this? Secretly loving from afar?”

 

Reflexively, a glare was sent to Victoria. She giggled innocently before nodding her head, “I’m just joking. Don’t take it seriously unless it’s true, right Mr. Kris? Anyways, I’m taking her out.” Victoria’s expression changed when she said those last words. I just looked at her like she went nuts or something. I can’t believe she’s a proctor.

 

“Because,” She looked back straight in my eyes, a piercing one when she was being serious. “I’m buying her the proper clothes so she could practice the real thing. Get what I mean? I know it’s still early to be outside and stuff but I really need her to be with me during shopping. Sizes, Mr. Kris.”

 

“Why don’t you just get her sizes then? And buy it before you go home. Just bring it tomorrow if you happen to buy it.” I suggested, not liking the idea of Amber being anywhere else aside from this house. Victoria sighed, “Proper sizes, heard them? Come on, you can even send your battlefield soldiers with us if you don’t trust the surroundings there but I really need her to buy these. If not, no improvement from my teaching will occur. And we all know Mr. Liu will be disappointed in that.”

 

Debating the whole situation, I detached myself from the wall and gave a slight nod before leaving her cheerful stature after my approval. I called out from my earpiece, “EXO-M, meeting at Chen and Tao’s room.” I heard shuffling of feet and glanced at Lay without looking at Amber’s annoyed face when she saw me. Lay easily followed me after excusing himself from Amber.

 

 

 

 

 

~Amber’s POV~

That bastard. Calling out for a meeting at this perfect minute. Just when Lay was about to get to the good part of their training during their trainee period, that giant has to in. I grumpily walked to the couch and spread every muscle in me when lying down. Lay told me not to worry about yesterday. Yeah sure, like I would be calm after that. What if that will happen again? It’s unavoidable I guess.

 

“Change your clothes now, Amber. We’re going out.” Victoria said while fixing the fallen mini pillows on the floor. I abruptly sat up with glistening eyes at her words. Going out? Seriously? Did that frigid giant agree to this? Oh. Suddenly it hit me, was that the reason why he called out for a meeting?

 

“Yes yes you heard it right. Now get yourself upstairs coz we’ll be shopping for your formal attire.” Victoria added, stuffing the pillows back to its original position in the said couch. My happiness faded when I heard “formal attire” from . Great. Another outside teaching wanna-be session.

 

“Nah, I won’t go.” I’m about to let myself fall again to the couch when Victoria caught me like a spy ninja she was—as to what she said yesterday—and easily grabbed my arms with soft hands but when she squeezed it, I yelped out in surprise.

 

“Ouch woman! That hurts. Can’t I have any authority to myself? Is my opinion not needed in here?”

 

“Sorry but not yet for this time. Maybe if you are already the heir of Liu’s Company. You can boss around to anyone there. But as for now, I think it’s much safer for you to follow us. When I say us, I mean Mr. Liu, me and EXO-M.” She winked and pushed me upstairs, disappearing back to the living room when I’m about to retort. They were all treating me like a defenseless child and I hated it. I reluctantly changed in my room.

 

 

☯ ☯ ☯

The usual: Loud conversations over there, laughter, shoes scraping, children’s running feet, gossips and auto tune voices reminding/promoting something to the shoppers inside the mall. Honestly, I wasn’t comfortable. The last incident effectively gave me trauma but I wouldn’t voice that out. Although it was a different mall, I don’t know if I can sense some eyes on me or just being paranoid. All I can think was I am no near in my comfortable zone.

 

“Hey here. Try this or no no wait. How about this? Or would you like this texture instead?” Victoria showed me dozen of formal clothes but neither of them I’m paying attention to. I was busy thinking of different scenarios that might happen inside my head. Occasionally, I would agree to Victoria’s suggestion and try them out until I got irritated and disagreed to every clothes she was showing. None of them were my tastes anyway.

 

Sometimes my thoughts went to yesterday’s night. I’m thinking of putting a real lock in my room since that giant always checked me out. Checking because he’s my personal bodyguard and other nonsense reasons he’d got. Whatever, I’m craving for privacy. Yes, I’m blaming him. It was obviously him who carried me to my bed, right? No doubt to it.

 

Victoria elbowed me when she got no response. I shook my head, “I don’t want those. Can you just hurry and find at least the clothes that are near my taste? Oh, how about that pants?” I walked towards the pants that caught my eyes but Victoria was fast enough to retreat me back. She clicked her tongue in disappointment.

 

“No uh. That’s for men. Stop lurking in the Men’s section. Here is your SECTION, Amber. Come on, this skirt suits you.”

 

“I’m not wearing that! It’s too short! I’m not a host or something.”

 

Victoria laughed so loud other shoppers here inside Mind Bridge stared at us with a face of unprofessionalism. I lowered my hood to my face more and took few steps away from that crazy woman. I want to tell them that I’m not with her. She was just too embarrassing to be with. But I regretted my actions after that because the last person I wanted to bump with was no other than the living giant.

 

I bumped into his left arm before both of us looked at each other. Immediately glancing down, “I…uhm…aish.” What am I suppose to say anyway? And why am I speaking from the first place? I walked away from his raised eyebrow and pretended that I saw something interesting from the clothes. Kris followed behind. I almost forgot about him. Of course, my bodyguard. Tsk.

 

Luhan and Kris were with me and Victoria whenever we enter a store while the others were outside, guarding and keeping eyes from people. Besides, it will be crowded if all of us were inside each stores. But the curious eyes didn’t help. Not at all. Who wouldn’t stare when you were surrounded by 6 men in suits? That was why I wore not so loose jacket and covered myself. I am way too embarrassed. These people, why can’t they wear normal outfit instead?

 

“Since you’ve tried these, I’ll go buy it. I don’t really like it if we return empty handed.” Victoria pointed out and brought the garments to the cashier while I just mutter “Whatever, woman.” in process. I tucked my hands into my pockets and roamed around with a trailing giant behind. He didn’t talk or scold me this time. Well, that was good or am I just behaving? At least he knew how to distant himself for awhile but not literally.

 

We left Mind Bridge once Victoria finished paying and carried the plastic bags with her. Inside this huge mall, people were giving stares again when they spotted us. Great. Aren’t we too scandalous with these men or bodyguards as to what they call it? I kept on lowering my hood. Victoria was just smiling beside me. How come she was so comfortable with it? Ah yeah, spy.

 

“You guys hungry? We can eat in the food court or we can buy from there then eat it at home?” Victoria suggested. Nobody answered her and I think I’m fine with anything. I just don’t feel like replying. She turned to Kris, “What you say?” Kris blinked for a few times before saying, “We should better return home now.” Victoria pouted which received a disgusted face from me and just nodded in understanding. In my theory, she’s more childish than me.

 

When we walked around to find the exit that was only the time I noticed that Xiumin wasn’t with us. Curious, I asked no one in particular, “Where’s Xiumin?” No honorifics because I’m a grateful brat. Yes, I will admit that. Everyone halted at the same time and for the second time that day, I bumped into Kris but this time to his back. Frowning, I was about to ask again for the sudden action when Kris shushed me although I can’t see his face since he was facing front.

 

I glanced at everyone around me. It seemed that only us, were standing still. People continued strolling and bickering at each other, normal noises. Victoria’s expression was dead serious as she let her eyes scanned the whole crowd. What was happening? Why am I only the one who wasn’t aware? The silence they emitted gave cold to my spine. I don’t like the way they were acting. I felt like something was off.

 

Instinctively, my hands moved on their own as they clutched to Kris’ arms. He slightly tilted his head, showing only the left side of his face. I looked up to him, wishing I could get an answer but got nothing when he shifted his stare back at the front. And why were my hands shaking again? The gripped in Kris’ arms were becoming white because I didn’t know what would or could happen.

 

About to ask again, I stiffened when Kris removed one of my hands from his arms but held it instead—warm hand gave warm comfort to my cold hand—then I heard him commanding something quietly, “Agent 3, to your mark. Agent 5, out with Victoria to the parking lot. Agent 2 and 4, stay with me. Agent 6, lead us from there.”

 

As calmly as possible not to attract extra attention, Tao walked out of the group like he was just going to use the men’s toilet. Chen smiled to Victoria and gestured that they should be leaving which Victoria gladly complied. Lay and Luhan surrounded my sides as normally as they can act and again, I saw no trace of Xiumin. Where was he? And what does Kris mean by leading us from there?

 

“Roger, A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter