Chapter XVI

Attached To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Proofreading later. Ignore mistakes. Writer is drunk. OTL

 

 

 

 

 

 

My forehead leaning on my left arm, placed on the cold surface glass window of humidity, faraway look on the view outside. The sun settled on the horizon of its home border, rain drops starting to conquer. A night full of candid silence, a night full of buzzing unspoken thoughts on every person occupying the most eventful living room of the history of my entire profession. Knocks from the cascading harsh rain cannot be easily ignored.

 

Louder than any resonance, the silence has contributed its help into the central focus of the whirling thoughts created inside my brain, my fist gently hammering the window. From one to three, adding another unnecessary natural noise around. A click of a tongue got my body swiveled in order to face them remaining members.

 

“Coming up with a great agreement and harmony will be our first step, like always. Suggestions are open, broaden range of possibilities must be heard and—”

 

“Are we just going to ignore the fact that two members of our group are not within our premises?” Luhan’s voice held the evidence of still hurting and make them come back unspoken plea. Clearly lucid to me that he was controlling himself from bursting.

 

At times like this, I would snap at how the way he delivered his concern. At times like this, I will see myself tossing glares of shutup to whoever dared to interrupt the meeting held by the leader. And at those times, we will always end up smiling with light hearts. But in this moment, those times faded as memory. In this moment, it wasn’t one of those treasured era.

 

Tao wearing a drained expression on his face, sitting on the corner of the room with propped knees serving as the table of his folded arms, doesn’t give a blink to the conversation. Opposite of him leaning on the back of the couch, Lay’s eyes travelled between my figure and Luhan. While the now elder of all the present humans on the set—sprawled legs on the floor— glued his demanding eyes into mine.

 

Seems like his jolly characteristic was being taken away by Xiumin, away from his usually self, away from the strategist persona. This was the first time I sensed how those eyes could pierced someone’s socket when he’s mad. He could definitely be intimidating without trying…or without Xiumin, because hell Kris you should do something about this messed up situation right now.

 

“I am not ignoring that fact, Luhan. But what benefit will devastating about them over the fact that Amber is in the hands of bastards do?”

 

“Yeah, and whose fault is that?”

 

“My fault. I am not denying it nor blaming it to anyone else. I am pathetic and I was wrong. That’s why I’m still here to bring everything back to normal. I’m dealing the group after I get Amber back. If you don’t want any participation on this stuck up situation, fine. Leave and follow the two to wherever Mr. Liu is staying. That’s…fine with me.” It hurts though are the next words I wanted to add but get a grip of myself before it could spill.

 

What I said was out of hand. I already know it was my fault but saying it out loud doubled—no, tripled—the pain and guilt I was feeling. I can break and I will break, not now but maybe in the future because I was born as individual; absence of personalities and traits. People don’t automatically obtain these the moment they gain their first memory. It develops as growth exists.

 

“Sorry.” Luhan whispered under his breath, either way it reached my distance. I exhaled through my nose, “If there’s someone who should be apologizing, that’s me.” I wasn’t lying. Those words acted out as my sincerity. I am self-reflecting though.

 

The rain continued to pour, adding more impression to the situation. I kept my silence but not that long. I don’t deserve procrastinating over the matter that someone’s life at stake. Not just someone, but Amber’s. I can’t bear just by thinking what might happen to her by now. I walked around the couch, heading towards the stairs.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

Tao’s voice halted my move. I heard shoes taking few steps from behind, I looked over my shoulder, “Someone slipped his mini pager into the client’s back pocket that time. Do you think borrowing Luhan’s laptop may help?”

 

All of them didn’t fail to connect pieces of puzzles together because every pager we had, has a transmitter on it and the best example for this was Luhan’s back to character, “Why you…Why didn’t you tell us earlier?! We’ve wasted enough time! What do you plan? Saving her alone? I’m sorry but that won’t happen.” He run passed me, followed by Lay.

 

“Out of the way, big head.” Luhan playfully pushed me aside. I could only smile a little. It was a nice feeling, having your loyalty carried by them. How could I let them down when their trusts for me were strong enough to lift a building or some sort.

 

When Luhan and Lay’s figures disappeared, I sensed a presence next to me. Next thing I know, came a hard slap on my back. I glared at the grinning Tao, “You sly leader. You plotted it from the start, didn’t you?”

 

I reached for my back and massaged where he landed his unnecessary slap, “What? No, I did not. I acted on impulse okay. Do you really think I plan on getting our members into this mess? On getting Amber abducted just a few meters away from me?”

 

“Well, I mean the modern pager thingy. That’s why you aren’t that bothered. We could still trace where they will take her.”

 

“I am anything but bothered, Tao. If they find that pager, we’re dead.”

 

“Right. Why don’t you just cut the melodrama and tell us? Just like what Luhan gege said, we waste—”

 

“I know, Tao. I know. Stop repeating it. No help at all.”

 

Tao sighed and patted his own cheeks. I can see from here that he was still upset about the separation of the other members. As much as possible, I want to focus on saving Amber first before everything else. I squeezed his left shoulder, “Hey, get yourself together. After everything falls back into the right place, I am assuring you, this separation is temporary. We all need some lessons like this, sometimes.”

 

He nodded then shrugged off my hand. This moody maknae.

 

“FOUND IT!”

 

Our heads snapped when Luhan and Lay came jogging out of the room. With Luhan almost shoving the screen to my face, I have to push his arms down or else I’ll get crossed eyes. I settled the device nicely on my forearms and scanned the whole contents of the screen.

 

“What does it say?” Tao interjected enthusiastically. I purposely let the screen slide to my left, avoiding the block caused by his head. Oh how this maknae got his mood swings indeed.

 

The screen displayed a navigation of Seoul. Zoom it in, Gangnam street is the nearest and a dot of red that was constantly moving towards the north was spotted. I automatically knew what it was. Pressing the enter button, the screen enlarged more and there I saw where it was currently on standby.

 

“Suseo-dong. They’re there.”

 

Without further ado, I closed the laptop and tossed it to Luhan—he caught it perfectly—and we all run outside. The wind greeting me, whispering loud hisses that surprisingly encouraging. Every Agents felt the sprinkles of the continuous rain. The adrenaline conquered me. I am going to save her, no matter what.

 

We reached the black van, parked outside the fence. Luhan went to the driver’s seat, Tao and Lay at the back while I hastily opened the door in the front seat when I noticed something. Something was off. Before I could sit, I distanced myself away. My eyes traveled to the exterior of the car to the tires.

 

Flat.

 

“Damn. It won’t start!” Luhan shouted, trying to put the engine to life with the turn of the key. The hell was happening? Did they just…? I wanted to punch something or someone so badly I could kill them. Our only vehicle was now useless. How in the world will I save her? My eyes on rage, I don’t want to pollute my mind with pointless thoughts.

 

I also don’t want to call attention to myself but I was left with no choice. The rush of something fed me up. With a distracted look, I sprinted to the other side, where the pavement to the highway intersects. The calls of my members, I simply disregarded it.

 

Amber needs me.

 

If those bastards thought that slashing the tires in order for me to give up, well they thought wrong. That was the dumbest idea I’ve ever think about them. I have feet. I have every possible way to get to Suseo-dong. Even if it required for me to crawl, I will crawl.

 

“Kris!”

 

“Watch out!”

 

Someone grabbed me and felt my body flew backwards. I didn’t know what almost took place at the moment. But I did know that I saw some flashing lights that got me blinded for seconds. My body and the one who grab me were now on the wet pavement. I quickly sat up and glanced around the surrounding, my suit drenched.

 

“That was so close! Where are you looking?!”

 

Chen. It was Chen’s voice. I must’ve been over thinking.

 

But I am not.

 

A Silver Fisker Karma with tinted windows parked just close enough to the length of my right leg. I trailed to where the voice came from. No doubt it was Chen on the driver’s seat, window rolled down to reprimand me, of course. He came for I don’t know reason. I am glad but this isn’t the right time to celebrate.

 

Huffs were heard from my left, I shifted my attention to it and saw Lay. So he was the one who pulled me. His face contorted when I flashed him an apologetic look. Luhan helped him on his foot while Tao gave me a helping hand. I stood up again.

 

“You careless human. Crashing you is not on my wishes okay. And I don’t have any intention on doing that either. Thank God, Lay’s on time. Watch where you’re going.” Chen dramatically put his hand on his chest. I snorted.

 

“I wasn’t expecting a nice car pulling off at this hour either and yeah I still consider myself as lucky. Lucky not to be crashed by you.”

 

“Whatever. Get in.”

 

“What brings you here?” I inquired suddenly but Chen was bombarded with other questions by Luhan, “Where’s Baozi? Why are you alone? Why didn’t you bring him with you? Where did he stay?”

 

“Guys come on, I’ll explain it later just get in. Duizhang, you’ve got some serious appointment to attend so come on!”

 

Together, we embarked the vehicle. As usual, I am on the front seat. I relaxed a little and just leaned on the windowpane. Then I remembered something, “Luhan, got the laptop with you? Still functioning?”

 

“Yeah, carried it under my tux. Don’t worry, a little drops of water won’t damage the thing.” He lifted his trouser’s suit, pulling the device out then opened it. “They’re still in Suseo-dong and…wait wait wait…no no! Ugh.”

 

I looked over at the back with an urgent expression, “What is it?”

 

“I think your mini pager is broken or sit on or smashed. I can’t track them anymore.” Luhan typed something and kept on trying but came up with the same doomed results.

 

“No way. That’s our only leading source!”

 

“Calm down. At least we know it’s somewhere in Suseo-dong right?” Chen said.

 

“But we don’t know where the specific location is. Like where exactly in Suseo-dong.” Tao answered in all honestly.

 

“Normally, warehouses are safer for kidnappers. Don’t you think?” Lay spoke out this time. Chen glanced at the front mirror, directed to Lay. Luhan and Tao looked at him with amusing eyes. And I just slumped myself on my seat, still distracted. I have to go there as soon as possible.

 

“About my questions earlier. Can you manage to answer them?”

 

Of course, Luhan has his own way.

 

“Fine. First of all, as you can see, Xiumin hyung isn’t here. When we take our leave that afternoon, I’ve already noticed the situation of the van. As much as I wanted to go back and inform you guys, I don’t think I can dissuade Mister Liu. After we arrived at where Mr. Liu is staying, Xiumin hyung and I talked about this. Me, going back here and serve my purpose. Him, staying with Mr. Liu.” Chen explained.

 

“Did Mister Liu know about this?” It was Lay who asked.

 

“Yes. He didn’t say anything. He is troubled too by the way he looks. He keeps himself busy but I know that just by waiting there for good news is more troublesome than actually doing something to rescue Young Mistress.”

 

 A moment of silence, we let Chen maneuvered in a harsh manner. I didn’t give much care on how we could get there. If Chen could let the vehicle fly then it’s much better. Unfortunately, four wheels with no wings won’t leave the ground. We reached the road, nearing the familiar city lights. Across the pedestrian lane, Chen swerved to the left, to the coming red on the traffic light post.

 

Red, orange or green, it doesn’t matter.  Rules don’t exist in saving her.

 

Amber, stay still.

 

I am near.

 

 

 

 

 

~Amber’s POV~

The ground vibrated. My body bounces whenever it bumps into something. My head hurts and I can’t see anything. Where am I? I’m still breathing, deeply breathing. I am not dreaming, definitely not. I tried to move a muscle only to be constricted. I frowned, my eyes crinkled at some cloth.

 

Am I blindfolded? Wait, what happened?

 

Darkness filled me and to some extent, I know where I was. Hands tied from behind, ankles on tight rope, cloths on both mouth and eyes. I am totally kidnapped. Funny thing was that, I thought this only happens in movies but now, I’m living it. How cruel those movies can be in reality? Am I going to die? Is this my ending?

 

Another bump, I bounced again and hit the back of my head to some material. I yelped and bit the cloth but I gagged after.  At first all I can hear and sense was a whirling of machine or engine. Then the sound of collision of rubber to…asphalt road? If I’m not mistaken, I am currently on the back of a truck.

 

Hopeless and weak.

 

I shut my eyes hard. I don’t want this reality. I hope I was dreaming and would wake up back to my room.  I don’t want to die…I still have many responsibilities…I…I’m still young for this. For all I could think or the situation let me think was this, a selfish thing just for myself.

 

I gritted the cloth. Facing my destiny would be a brave thing to do. How I hated myself for being selfish. I sighed heavily and curled like that of a fetus. Kris…is he…is he on the way to save me? Will he be on time? EXO-M? There were too many words I wanted to say to him but judging by myself today, I maybe or maybe not see him again.

 

My eyes stung, threatening tears about to seep. I try my best to hold it still. Mom and Dad, will I ever going to see them again? Am I that unforgiving and reckless daughter? These thoughts just made the worst out of me. I felt how the cloth on my eyes became wet. I bit my lower lip.

 

Never knew I was this weak.

 

The truck stopped. I inhaled then exhaled loudly, trying to look like I haven’t been crying. Doors opened and closed. The vehicle shook, signaling that people were getting off of the truck. I tried my best to look like the way I was earlier. Hopefully, they wouldn’t notice anything about me being awake.

 

Then lines of small lights slid into my blindfold. It means that they’ve opened the back door. I ordered myself to stay calm but I was quite shivering with all those damn nervousness and thin clothes under this cold weather.

 

A man stepped inside hoisted me up and carried me. I can hear the closeness of his heavy breathing. My stomach on his left shoulder. I really had the hard time not to shout and fight back. Instead, I played dead until I heard them talked. So he wasn’t alone.

 

“Is she awake yet?” A voice not so far asked.

 

“No, I don’t think so. She’s cold as ice though.” The man who was carrying me replied.

 

“Dead?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter