Leaving the Dream

Something Like This

.

 

Tao was in front of Kris' place where there parked a white Rolls Royce and man in his late 40s. He was dressed in a black suit, black polished loafers, white gloves and a chauffeur's hat. As if the Rolls Royce wasn't enough there was a chauffeur actually dress like a chauffeur. Tao was just staring in awe for the moment.

Then the chauffeur spoke. "Mr. Huang Zitao?" he said, in a very formal accent, and in mandarin.

"Yes?" Tao nodded, perplexingly.

The chauffeur opened the door (which interesting opened from the middle of the car and out, aka coach doors) for him, the man bent in a bow with an at your service hand gesture. Tao cautiously stepped in.

Inside were luxurious leather seating, cream colored, hand-stitched, soft, and smooth to the touch. It didn't even squeak when he sat and adjusted himself. It was spacious with a lot leg room, and Tao had really long legs. There was a seamless flow of the finest polished woodwork running along the doors and front seating that made it even more elegant and impressive looking. It made Tao's plain T and demins pale in comparison.

He adjusted his shirt self consiously when the chauffeur spoke again from the driver seat after leaving Kris' place.

"Mr. Huang it'll be a bit of a drive. So feel free to use any of the available entities. We got a TV, DVD player, laptop, magazines, newspapers and drinks in the fridge if you get thristy."

Suddenly compartments started sliding out from all directions. From the back of the front seats, a TV and another a laptop. From the top a DVD player. From the center console between the front seats, an assortments of magazines and newspapers. And sliding out from below the middle of the passenger seats, a mini refridge.

Tao was thinking "where are am I?" and "how did I get here?" maybe next the chauffeur is going to tell him he was actually an robot android. Now that'll be a bit freaky. But guess this is how the other world lives. Kris' world he realized. Sometimes he forgets that they aren't from the same world, but then he's always reminded.

He shook himself out of that thought. "Thank you," he said quietly to the man in front.

"You're welcome," the chauffeur answered automatically.

Tao sat up straight, looking at all the gadgets unsurely. He puffed out his cheeks quizzicaled. Finally he decided on to go for a magazine or newspaper. There he plucked a magazine which literally stuck out to him from the rack. It was even flipped open to a specific page and the headline was in large bolded Chinese charcters, "Two of China and Korea's Largest Business Empires to be Merge Through Matrimony".

That was not what really caught Tao's though. It was the picture that accompanied the article with subtitles "The betrothed Couple". He stared at the male in the picture and he couldn't believe it. It was Kris!

The caption below said, "Wu Yi Fan, 23, heir of the Wu Corporations, and Lee Hae Mi, 22, heiress of SM Industries Group picking out engangement rings."

Tao was clinching the pages tightly as he continued to read a fluff story about how the couple met, started dating and fell head over heels for each other. He stayed somewhat calm until he reached the side story on the next page about a possible cooperation of a big project between the two companies (and future in laws). 

A seaside resort and mall to reside in a seaside town within Qingdao, China. Not just that but there was an accompanying picture of a certain familiar street that was close to Tao's heart. It was his street. The street he grow up in. The street his families restaurant was. In fact his family's restaurant was in the picture itself.

 

Finally, Tao arrived at the hotel where he was guided by a wait staff to the terrace outside then into a private balcony. He was seated then almost immediately presented with a cup of tea in front of him.

While sitting across in front of him was Mrs Wu in her white chiffon dress with mid-sleeves and laced white parasol hat on top her head. She remain quiet as she drank her cup of tea before placing it lightly on the tea plate on the table. Then she finally looked up at Tao silently.

This was all making Tao uncomfortable. They were all alone, blocked away from everyone with the beautiful view outside covered by tall bush-like trees.

"Why don't you have some tea?" Mrs. Wu began, voice indifferent.

"Why did you brought me here?" Tao suddenly blurted out. Even though he sort had an idea already after reading that article in the car. That magazine was probably even planted there on purpose.

"Tsk tsk tsk." She clicked her tongue. "It should be. No, thank you ma'am. May I please ask why you have invited me here? Seriously, hadn't anyone ever taught you etiquette or manners?"

She huffed. "Well, anyway I guess I'll just get to the point." She crossed her arms and legs, leaning back as she narrowed her eyes at Tao. 

"You are not fit for my son. You do not fit in his world, our world. You see everything here?" She spread her arm apart. "This hotel, all the hotels under the Wu name and all the other buildings and homes, including the car you rode in. Everything is going to belong to Yifan one day. He is gonna be worth a lot. And you, a simple host boy is just gonna drag him down."

Tao's eyes widen. "You knew?"

"Yes. Your real job as host at the Black Panther. I know. In fact, if I hadn't contacted the press beforehand the world would have known that the heir of Wu corporations had been philandering with a host boy in the red light district." Her face twitched. "Luckily, I had stopped them, and instead had them announce the engagement."

Tao trying to digest all this as calmly as he could but he knew he was shaking slightly as he spoke. "T-the engagment. I-it's real?"

Why is he even asking? He should be getting up and leaving in embrassment and shame. But he's still here. He wanted to know. What is the truth? And maybe he just wanted a slap in the face back to reality.

"It could be. It would be great for both our families and businesses. But it shouldn't concern you." She smiled smugly.

Tao took a deep breath to calm himself. He will not say anymore to any of that. Because what he really should be concerned about is the seaside resort to be built in Qingdao over his family's restaurant now.

So he began, "Then the seaside resort to be built in Qingdao, is that true?" He tried to kept a straight face but it must had fallen as he spoke.

"Oh, that?" The woman smirked. "Is that what you're really worried about? Well, honestly it's still in the discussion stages, but I heard those people there are quite stubborn even when money was presented to them so they can move along. Like that one called the something 'Huang's Seaside Kitchen'."

Tao's eyes rounded with alarm at the mention of his family's restaurant name. How could his parents not have told him any of this? Maybe he really is a failure of a son after all. And how can he stop this? 

His thoughts must had shown on his face as Mrs. Wu went on speaking. "If you leave my son alone. I may be able to convince my husband to change the location of the restort."

"What?" Is this really happening? Tao thought.

"Or give me a number." All of a sudden there was a check book and a shiny pen in her hand.

"NO." Tao said, almost slaming a hand on the table, but didn't. "I don't need your money. I just... I mean..." He hesitated, words stuck in his gut, then he said the first thing that came up. "If I go away would this resort not be built."

"Yes," she said confidently.

"Okay. I'll leave your son," Tao said, because this was all he could really do for his parents now.

With that, he promptly left the Imperial Hotel. While Mrs. Wu went back to her tea with a satisfied grin.

 

Tao walked for hours aimlessly, feeling an emptiness that he hadn't felt since... since before he met Kris. He walked until his feet felt heavy and the sun was setting before taking the bus back to Kris' place. Then he gathered all his own belongings (which wasn't much, sadly) that he could fit into his duffle bag.

Thankfully, Kris wasn't home yet. It's better this way, Tao thought. He contemplated leaving a note, but there really wasn't any right words, so he didn't.

Tao took one last look at the gorgeous glistening glass townhouse on the lush hill, the dream world he was living in for just a short time. He couldn't believe it. That he even got a chance to. Thanks to Kris. But it's time to wake up. Time to get back to the real world.

He checked his bag once more, making sure he had his passport before he got into the taxi that he called to take him to the airport.

 

 

.