Hello, Family! 2

Something Like This
.
 
 
 
 
 
"Ah-Ba's xiao long bao is the world's bestest ever!" Tao was pounding his fists on the table, enjoying every bite of his dim sum. All the people at the restaurant was looking but he didn't care. ("Ah-Ba" is a more casual way to call Dad)
 
"You have no idea how much I missed hearing you say that son. Go ahead eat more." Tao's father smiled from ear to ear as he went back to work.
 
Tao's mom, who sat at the table with them, suddenly turned to their guest (they already introduced each other earlier). "So Kris, you're living in Korea too? What do you do there?"
 
"Yes, I've been there for a couple years now." Kris smiled, and sat a up a bit straighter. "I own a couple men's fashion and accessory shops there. We mostly sell small brands by new designers. It's our way to help those new designers just starting out to get their name out. We also have stores opened in Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and other places soon."
 
'Why does he sound like a commerical?' Tao thought, as he chomped on some other dim sum his Dad made for him. 'And, whoa! I didn't know all that.'
 
"Wow, that's amazing. You look so young and already so successful. How old are you?" Tao's mom began prying.
 
"Ah-Ma, you're asking too much questions," Tao whined. ("Ah-Ma" is more casual way to call Mom)
 
"I just want to get to know your friend. And I've only asked like three questions," Tao's Mom defended.
 
"It's no problem Mrs. Huang. You can ask as many questions you like. And I'm 23." This is Kris being all gentleman-like.
 
"You are young. Please call me Auntie May. At first I thought you're a model. You're so tall and handsome. You know, I was a model too when I was younger. But then I met Tao's father. But I'm happy."
 
"I see."Kris nodded, and tried to start a conversation. "How did you and Tao's father met?"
 
Tao's Mom beamed. "You really want to hear the story?"
 
"Oh, no not the story again." Both Tao and Ren shook their heads in unison.
 
"Kris, wants to hear it so I shall tell it." And so Auntie May began her story. "Well, it was back in high school. (I was already doing some modeling at the time.) It was my last year and I was studying for my college entrance exams. I was horrible in math and science so my parents found me a tutor, who turned out to be Tao's father. He was getting his teaching masters at the time.
 
I'll be honest, it wasn't love at first sight. He didn't know how to dress, his hair always had this weird cowlick, and he had these funny round glasses. But the more we spent time together the more I got to know the sweet, caring, and funny side of him.
 
However, after the exams were over we sort of went our separate ways. Plus he was older than me so, it wasn't meant to be. But then in my second year of college we met again. He was a teacher in training in one of my classes. Long story short, he actually started dressing better, and I still got a thing for him. So from then on we dated "secretly" since the school didn't allow student-teacher relationships. Plus we weren't sure if our parents approve. But after a couple years of dating, and getting over the fact that Tao's mother didn't really liked me, we got married. And then Tao popped up out of nowhere."
 
Tao took a sip of his tea. "Ah-Ma, do you always have to end the story like that."
 
"Well, you did popped up out of nowhere. I didn't even know I was pregnant until the day of the delievery. Boy, was I surprised."
 
"And as usual, I'm left out of the story," Ren added.
 
"Oh, and Ren was totally a planned baby, so there was no big surprise," Auntie May added in promptly.
 
Ren rolled his eyes, while Tao petted his head like an abandoned puppy. 
 
"So Kris," Aunty May began again. "How did you met my son?"
 
Tao almost dropped his chopsticks. "Ah-Ma, what kinda question is that?"
 
"That's a normal question, right? Just wanna trade stories," his Mom said.
 
Kris answered anyway. "We met at a crowded restaurant. We were both alone and there was only a small table left in the back corner, so we shared it and started talking. Ever since then we've been together... as friends." This was so made up, of course.
 
Aunty May smiled. "Somehow that sounded like a beginning of a cute love story." 
 
"Ah-Maaa~" Tao moaned in distaste.
 
His Mom laughed. "Just joking." Suddenly, clapping her hands. "Since my baby came home tonight I'm gonna make something special."
 
"I can help buy the stuff needed," Tao said automatically.
 
"No, no, you just came back you must be tired."
 
"I'm fine. Anyway, I want to go into the open markets to see everyone."
 
"And I can go with him," Kris joined in.
 
"Okay, let me write a list." Tao's Mom started looking for scratch paper. "Ren, how about you go with them too."
 
"Nah, I don't like being the third wheel," Ren answered.
 
"The third wheel?" his Mom question with a curious grin.
 
"Hurry Mama, write the list before the market is all out of the refresh stocks," Tao insisted, before anything else is said.
 
"Alright, alright." She finally found a pen.
 
Ren gave Tao a knowing smirk. Tao was nervous.
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________________
Author's Note
Tao's real-life mom looks so cool [ picture ], but I always imagine she'd become all mushy when she starts talking about her son ^_^ And Ren as a mischevious di-di... Please come back a day after tommorrow for the continuation.
 
 
 
 
 
.