Chapter 4

My Brother's Girlfriend

"Can I get a Caramel Macchiato please?" The cafe was almost empty. Only me and a half a dozen other people. Every one of them was sipping a warm hot beverage, trying to escape the coolness from outside. The lady on the other side of the counter slowly handed me the drink and warned me that it was hot. "Thanks." Taking the closest seat from the window, I grabbed a chair and pulled out my phone before sitting down. 3 new messages, all from DongHae. Figures. I set the phone aside and wrapped my fingers around the coffee mug, hoping it'd warm my numbed fingers. Taking a sip, the caramel flavor filled my senses while the hot liquid slid down my throat. I love hot drinks in cold weather. Glancing out the frosted window, a small silver Mercedes car entered the parking lot.

 

"I'll see you next time, Hyo!" Hearing EunHyuk heading towards the door, my back left the side of the car and entered the stalled engine. He was finally done with his date. "Thanks for waiting."

"As always." I mumbled while slipping on the safety belt. "How was your date?" Half-expecting him to shake it off as usual, he broke out into a happy chime of quick words I barely could understand. "Dang, she really hit you this time, eh?" EunHyuk chuckled darkly and nodded.

"How about you? Got a new chick yet? That girl was pretty cute," His eyebrows wiggled in my direction, if possible. "I'm sure you caught her attention."

"Oh yeah, she's great." I could see the idiot beside me grinning like crazy. "She's also my brother's girlfriend-ish." 

The tires loudly screeched against the street, causing many pedestrians to turn. "Dude, drive! We're in the middle of the street." My yelling seemed to take a toll on him as he came back to reality and tapped the gas pedal again.

"His girlfriend? Ish?" Exclaiming in shock, EunHyuk shook his head furiously. "What do you mean -ish? Hyo said she was totally cool with coming tonight." 
"Apparently TaeYeon agreed to come because HyoYeon didn't want to come alone. Situation seems familiar, eh?" My eyes shifted to his and saw his eyes roll. "Oh well."

"Sorry, man. At least you had fun, right?" I laughed and nodded.

 

Of course I had fun. 

 

There's no way that this is happening to me. Now if it was the one and only. I watched TaeYeon literally climb out of her car with her short legs. Her hands were full with bags as she half-ran to the cafe. She made her way toward the counter and spoke softly with the lady, giving her a grin after. I watched her place her bags down at the nearest table, while she pulled out her phone. Suddenly, she turned around. We met eyes for a what seemed like hours. Waving, her face was plastered with a grin as she came running towards me - yes, running. What a dork. "What are you doing here?!" I lifted my cup and smiled, what else would one do here? "This is so coincidental!"

"Yeah, totally. I'm glad you got home safely last night." She chuckled and nodded. "Would you like to sit down?" My hand motioned at the chair next to her. 

"For sure," She gracefully walked back to the counter, grabbing her drink with gentleness, then strolling back towards my table. "Thanks." TaeYeon grinned before sitting down.

 

It seemed like endless hours as we chatted like old friends. We shared stories of each other, our friends, siblings, dates. I felt like as if we've known each other since we were little. I remember that gleam that shone in her eyes when I mentioned something that broke her into another memory. The way she went on about her childhood was fascinating. Every time something was about to happen in her story, I noticed her doll-eyes would widen even larger. She had a unique laugh - like a chime. It sounded like music in my ears. Her soft curled hair flowed gently to the side as she used her arms to tell her stories as well. Carefully, she tucked a lock behind her ear and reached out to her drink. Her perfectly shaped lips were glossy, like she had just put on light lip gloss.

"Oops!" I shook my head out of the trance and my eyes followed her glance. She had spilt her drink. "Wow, I'm so clumsy." The apples of her cheeks, not to mention perfect cheek bones, were tinted with a pink as she grabbed a napkin near by and dabbed her skirt.

"Let me help." Grabbing the box of napkins on the next table, I kneeled to her side and began wiping the remains of the stain, trying to get the colour out with it. I suddenly realized how close we were as my hand froze and looked up to see her round eyes looking back at me in shock. The metal box fell to the floor and made a faint crash."Oh, sorry." Mumbling, I picked up the box, set it aside, and stood back up, sitting back in my chair.

"Uh, thanks." She laughed nervously as she checked her watch, "Oh, look at the time. I have to get somewhere. I'll see you later, alright?" Only being able to nod awkwardly, she stood up with her bags and left the cafe. She strode to her car, quickly climbing in the drivers seat. I watched her start the car twice before her engine roared. She glanced at my direction and waved, instinctively my hand rose as she drove away. A sudden wave of emotion hit me - sadness, I believe.

Why? I had practically just met her. She was with your brother, for God's sake.

But.
There was something about that girl. Her angelic voice and beautiful eyes was so endearing.

 

 

Oh dear. What have you gotten yourself into?