Chapter 23

My Brother's Girlfriend

"TaeYeon, why aren't you picking up?" I tapped my foot impatiently in the lobby of her apartment. I had buzzed her apartment about five times already, and called her cell twice. My back leaned against the wall as I waited another five minutes before buzzing one more time. This time, she picked up.

"Oh my, god! Sorry LeeTeuk!" Before saying anything else, she hit the 'open' button and the door in front of me finally let me in. I dragged my feet up the stairs and down her hallway. "1D, 3D, 5D,7D...9D" I stopped in front of her door and knocked twice. She instantly pulled open the door, "Why are you here so early?" She said right away. I chuckled and stepped in, kicking off my shoes on the side before facing her.

"We're picking up KangIn, remember?" Her eyes bugged out as she shut the door. "You're kidding me, how could you forget so soon?"

"I have a bad memory, okay?!" TaeYeon shouted at me with a frightened look in her eyes. I couldn't help but laugh loudly while patting her head. "Stop, let me get ready! I'll be done soon!" She had on a baseball cut shirt and a pair of navy blue short-shorts. Her hair was tied in a loose bun with a few strands poking out and her bangs were clipped up nicely to the side. She noticed me staring and quickly ran to her room, "Don't look!" As if. I made my way towards the kitchen and grabbed a bottled water.

"You look great already, I don't see why you don't just go like that." I grinned while leaning against the counter and twisting the cap of the water open. She groaned loudly from her room which caused me to chuckle quietly to myself. Her apartment was petite and feminine. The kitchen was filled with white cabinets and the walls were painted a pale lavender. I always loved it when the sun would shine down into her dorm because it brightened up the place even more than it already was. It had a friendly and warmness to it that our dorm didn't. On her walls hung many picture frames of her with her friends and family. I walked closer to get a better look and smiled when I saw a family portrait. She had two sisters that looked almost identical to her, but she was the shortest of her family. Even now, she looked just as cute as she did back then. My eyes skimmed a few more pictures before landing on one which caused me to frown. It was when KangIn and her went to the amusement park back in the beginning of summer. I remember vividly because it was TaeYeon's late birthday present for me. She had always promised to take me to Lotte World since I had never gone before but KangIn found out and I knew he had always wanted to go since we were kids. I told TaeYeon that I wasn't feeling well and she should give the ticket to KangIn, and to no avail, she happily inclined to do so. They were both wearing Mickey Mouse ears and KangIn was holding tightly to TaeYeon's shoulders. He looked so happy and TaeYeons smile was bigger than I had ever seen. A sigh escaped from me as I leaned away and glanced back at the closed door. How selfish could I be to take that away from my own brother?

As soon as I walked to the living room, TaeYeon had whipped open the door with much excitement and jumped out. She was wearing light pink skinnys and a diamond white sweater. Her hair was simply tied back, with loose curls hanging down the side of her head. My eyes drifted to her face and her make-up was light but she still looked absolutely flawless. She left me breathless. "How do I look?" It took me seconds before I closed my jaw and swallowed the lump down my throat.

"Uh-" I noticed how loosely knitted her sweater was, revealing whatever she had underneath clearly. Averting my glare, I glanced right into her eyes, "You should wear something underneath, since it's cold and all outside." I smiled meekly and tried my best not to sound like a ert. She glanced down and her cheeks began to tint a light pink. Without saying anything she went back in for a minute before coming out with a white tank top underneath. "Better." I grabbed onto her coat from the couch and walked towards her, motioning her to turn around so I could but the jacket on her. 

"When did you become such a gentleman? Are you really LeeTeuk?" I scoffed at her comment while she shoved her arms through.

"Are you joking me?" I smiled as she spun around. I kneeled down and took her zipper in one hand, "I'm always a gentleman." TaeYeon sighed heavily as I stood back up. "Ready to go?"

"Guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be." She shrugged as she shoved on a pair of brown oxford high heels. 

 

The car ride there was silent. DongHae sat in the passenger seat while TaeYeon sat in the back. I felt his stare shift from the girl in the back to me multiple times. Through the rear-view mirror, I saw that she was shifting uncomfortably too. At the airport's parking garage, I looked at DongHae, "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing." He mumbled before unhooking his seatbelt and slamming the door shut. I rolled my eyes and followed suit. I took a side step and pulled open the door for TaeYeon. She smiled and took my hand as I helped her out.

"Thank you!" Her pearly white teeth flashed at me as she walked towards the elevator. Seriously, how is she able to do this? I shook my head and shut the door, jogging to catch up to the two. We quickly found KangIn's terminal and sat at the benches in front of the automatic doors, watching the people walk by, yet none of them seemed to be my brother. "Man, where is he?" My eyes glanced down to see her hands in tight fists in her lap. TaeYeon was also biting her bottom lip nervously.

"Don't worry," DongHae spoke up, "He's always the last to get off the plane." Her eyes met his for a brief second before looking back at the doors. The side of my mouth twitched at the sight of her. 

Five minutes passed and we finally see him riding down the escalator. I nudge TaeYeon with my elbow and her eyes light up. "He's here." When he reaches the doors, TaeYeon jumps to her feet before DongHae and I, and races towards KangIn. He grins and opens his arms for a hug. TaeYeon trips on the tiles and lands right in his arms, and I see them both laugh to themselves. My chest starts to hurt as I look at them with confusion.

"Dude," DongHae stands, "not cool." I didn't know what he was referring to. Maybe the fact that he knows what TaeYeon and I did and how I was ruining that relationship? Or maybe the fact that she still loved him so much. Either way, the guilt from before returned. 

 

KangIn rolled his luggage behind him, with TaeYeon's hand in his, and made his way towards us. "Hey guys! How've you been?"

"You were gone for less than a week," I smiled as best as I could, "What could even happen?"

"Good point," He laughed, "Sorry for taking a while." There was something different about him. His eyes gleamed brighter than usual and I could see him grinning from ear to ear. What happened to him? "Hey, how about we all go out for dinner tonight? It's on me!" I raise my eyebrow, it's so unlike him.

"I'd love to!" TaeYeon grips on his arm as we make eye contact. I see her smile lower slightly as she turns her attention back to the man beside her. 

"Sure, I'd be down." DongHae shrugs as he starts to walk back to the entrance. 
"Ok, so that leaves LeeTeuk, how about it?" KangIn walks by my side, drops TaeYeon's hand, and puts his arm around my shoulders. Something was off, really off. I simply nod as we make our way towards the car.

 

I drop TaeYeon off at her house so KangIn could settle in before dinner. They didn't have any problems showing their affection in the back seat. DongHae sighed loudly as we both watched them kiss at her front door. "Rough," was all he said as KangIn walked back to our car.

"What was that?" he asked as he got back in the car. DongHae just shook his head and I began to pull out of the parking lot.

 

 

--

 

"You guys ready?" I call out as I grab the car keys from the bowl. DongHae runs out, tie in hand, and pulls on his shoes.

"Okay, so bad news." The words come flying out of his mouth, "I have to go somewhere at 8, so I'm going to have to leave early. Don't worry, I'll call a cab so you don't have to drive me." I nodded and slipped my shoes on. "But," the next sentence comes out as a whisper for only me to hear, "Are you okay with being alone? With them, I mean." He pulls the tie around his neck and begins to lace it together. Not even waiting for my response, DongHae whips the door open and screams, "I'll wait outside!" I shake the thought out of my head. When the time comes, I'll deal with it.

"KangIn, let's go!" He comes out with mismatching socks. "You couldn't even find matching so-"

"What do you think of marriage?" The question shocks me. What was he talking about? "At my age, most of my friends are already married, or engaged. I feel like I should be there too." I gulp loudly as he stares me in the eye. Little did he know. I couldn't tell him, since I promised TaeYeon that we'd tell together. But the look in his eye made me swallow again.

"I think," I take a moment before speaking again, "You should marry whenever you're ready. Not when your friends are ready." KangIn smiles and nods a couple times.

"I see, thanks. Let's get going, haha." I try my best to laugh lightly as he pulls the door open and it shuts behind him. The phone starts to ring, but I leave it. I didn't have time to pick it up, and the answering machine would catch it. I notice the light in his room is still on. I made my way across the dorm and shut the door as I flipped the switch. Gripping the keys in my hand, I begin walking towards the front door. The answering machine beeps as I'm about to shut the door, then a unfamiliar voice begins to talk.

"KangIn!" It was a girls voice. Someone I didn't recognize. Maybe she was a friend? Co-worker? "I hope this is you, because the number you wrote smudged! Anyways, if this is you, it's YoonJi!" YoonJi? Never heard of her. My hands stay on the door knob as the girl continues to talk. "Listen, I had a great time couple nights ago and I'd like to do it again with you some night... Just give me a call and I'll book a hotel room!" She giggles quietly, "Got to go! Call me!" The answering machine beeps again and my eyes are wide open.

 

What the hell?