Chapter 1

My Brother's Girlfriend

I vividly remember that day.

 

It was fall. The beginning of October, if I recall correctly. The leaves were just changing colours and the weather was toning down. The sun started setting earlier, leaving the sky darker and darker everyday. In the morning, there was a crisp and fresh feeling.  The familiar sound of leaves crunching under my boots. I could remember the smell of autumn, as well. How it smelt after the rain every night. Or the coolness of the evening, how I could see my breath when I spoke.

Especially that one night.

 

A night I wouldn't be able to forget.

 

-

 

"Oh my gosh, it's cold."

A mist of fog flowed from my mouth and escaped into the cool night. My hands were shoved into my pockets, balled into fists, as I walked quickly to my dorm. I was silently beating myself up for insisting to walk home earlier on in the evening. It was only 15 minutes away, anyway. It felt like an hour had passed since I started walking - more like speed walking - into the dark. 
"It's your fault," DongHae laughed, "You should've grabbed a taxi." I muttered under my breath. Not all of us were immune to the coldness like him. We made our way to our dorm, taking the shortcut. The dorm came into my view and I sighed. Finally. 

I reached for the cool door knob too fast, shoving my hands onto the freezing metal. "Gah." Groaning, I whipped the door open and sped inside the warm hallway. "My oasis." Quickly, the heat of the elevator stop my shivering and my numb face was able to move again. 

"Wow, it's not even that cold outside. You're screwed in the winter, LeeTeuk." DongHae laughed as he calmly got off the elevator and took out his keys. What a brat. "We're home!" He yelled as he pushed the door open. "Oh." Suddenly, he stopped dead in his tracks, hand still on the door knob. 

"What are you doing, move." I shoved him inside. "Geez." Rolling my eyes, I felt a sudden shiver down my back.

Was it from the coldness from before, or what I was just about to encounter?

 

To this day, I still have no idea.

 

"Why's everyone so quiet?" My eyes scanned the room. Then they met to another pair, standing next to our couch. The doll-like eyes stared back at mine for a brief second before looking down. 

She was a tiny little thing - only a bit over 5 feet. Her curled burgundy hair flowed gently in a ponytail. The girl had a knit plum sweater over a floral white dress shirt. On top, was a navy coloured pea coat, with golden buttons to match. She had mismatching socks, one black and the other white. Her head slowly turned to look up, and our eyes met for the second time. Her eyes were a dark. Almost a black, even. Her make up was smoky and she had only lip gloss on. Her skin was pale - paler than a ghost. 

She was beautiful.

 

"Uhm." My voice barely came out as a whisper. Clearing my throat, I called out louder, "Who are... Uh, who are you?"

Her eyes widened and made an 'O' shape. She quickly shook her head and looked at me again, "Oh. Uhm, I'm Kim TaeYeon. Nice to meet you. Sorry for intruding your place." 

TaeYeon? "Have we met? I'm sorry if we have." DongHae responded to her. I glanced at him for a second then stared back at the timid girl.

She shook her head. "No, I'm..." The door next to me opened and Kang In stepped out. "Kang In's date." Her shoulders went from tensed to relaxed as she spotted someone she knew. I saw her eyes light up as he walked toward her. He laughed and turned to face us when he reached her.

"We're going out now, but I'm glad you guys met. This is LeeTeuk and DongHae. Guys, this TaeYeon." We exchanged bows and formal greetings quickly and stood in awkward silence. "Well, I'll be back before 12... See you guys then." They slowly made their way to the door, passing us as we were frozen on the spot. "Bye! I'm glad I met you guys, hope to talk to you soon." She called out before closing the door behind her.

 

And just like that, I watched the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen walk out of my dorm.

 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so in trouble."