Chapter 14

My Brother's Girlfriend

"Baby, I heard you a thousand times and I'm sorry but you know I have nothing to do with it."

 

"KangIn's been in the next room on the phone with TaeYeon for the past half an hour." DongHae glanced from the television and stared into the door next to me. "What do you even think they're arguing about?" I shrugged, imagining the worst. "Hopefully she's alright, haha." We both knew how KangIn could be when he was frustrated. We both focused back on the news broadcast when he finally came out of the room, phone in his hand. "Hey."
"Hey sorry about that, we just had to talk about some stuff. Is dinner ready?"

"Yeah, it's out on the kitchen. It might be cold, so you'll have the microwave it." I nodded toward the kitchen. He walked past me and I heard him mutter under his breath - an old habit he had lost but I guess it came back. "What happened?"

"Well," KangIn began as he placed his plate in the microwave, "She was complaining about how I was flirting with chicks. Again." He exhaled loudly. "I don't know what to do with her anymore, is it even worth it...?" Hearing this, DongHae turned the TV on mute and we both faced KangIn. 

"You can't be serious, this is the longest relationship you ever had!" I managed out of myself, "It's going perfect too! I mean, she's jealous often, but that just means she really loves you." I could feel my fist tighten against the pillow next to me.

"I know, I know, hyung... But, I'm so done with her confrontations. It happens on a daily basis now." He leaned against the counter and put his face between his hands. "I told her we should take a break." Silence followed. "I think I did the right thing.

"Oh..." DongHae said quietly, loud enough for the three of us to hear. "I'm sure if you guys get back together, things will be fine. You just need some time to think, right?" Who were we kidding? They've been fighting for weeks, going days without talking to each other. It was stressful for all of us - hearing KangIn argue on the phone late at night, then going to a bar right after to forget about it. Then TaeYeon would call us, sobbing on the phone. If they did ever get back together, it'd be a miracle.

Was it wrong to be somewhat content in this situation?

Yes, it definitely was. He's your brother and she's your friend, for god's sake.

"I'm going out for a bit," KangIn said after scarfing down his dinner, "Don't wait up for me." Before we could say anything, he pulled on his coat and left the dorm. We both sat for a few seconds before looking back at the TV. KangIn would be back late - probably drunk too - but we couldn't do anything about it. 

I didn't realize how tired I was until he had left. "I'm going to bed, I have work early tomorrow. Can you clean  the dishes?" I stood up and DongHae mumbled a 'yes' before I shut my door tightly. Right when the door clicked, my phone vibrated in my pocket. Right on time. "Hello?"

"LeeTeuk, is he gone?" Soft sniffles whispered through the receiver. My heart tore in pieces. 

"Yeah. And DongHae's in the next room, so I have to talk quiet." If possible, I could feel her nod from the other side of the phone, "How are you?"

"Could be better," She laughed a painful one, "There's always something, hey? I'm sorry I always bother you with this..."

"It's fine, I'm glad I could be here for you." I sighed and sat on my bead, laying down on my back. 

"So, he said we should take a break." TaeYeon tenderly whimpered. 

"Yeah, he told me. How'd you take it?"

"Not well, haha. But, if he wants it, then I can't say no, right? God, I'm such a clutz."

"Hey," I was terrible at comforting, but I hated when TaeYeon was like this. She was usually flamboyant and happy, when she's depressed, I was down too, "Don't say that, I think you're a wonderful and beautiful person, TaeYeon."

"Aw, geez. LeeTeuk you're a great friend." Friend. That was all I could be. "Are you busy now?"

"Uh, not at the moment," work could wait if it was for her.

"Let's meet at the ice cream shop near my place, okay?" I could hear a faint rustle from the other line.

"Alright."

 

I jumped off my bed and pulled on my sweater, hopefully it wasn't real cold out. Leaving my room, I met eyes with DongHae who was moving to the kitchen now. He was shocked at my reappearance, "Where are you going?"

"Um, out. I forgot to get stuff for work tomorrow. I'll be back soon." He shrugged, not caring about what I did anymore. "Bye." 

The cool winter night greeted me again, just like it had the first night I had met TaeYeon. My breath form clouds from my mouth as I ran toward the ice cream shop as fast as possible. Who eats ice cream in the winter, anyway? Yanking open the shops doors, I quickly hurled myself in the far booth we always sat in, glancing out the window every few minutes waiting for her. I glanced at my phone and it had been almost twenty minutes since I got here, where would she go? Her place was only max. five minutes from here.  What if she was hurt? I called her phone three times - the dial tone answered all three times. 

 

TaeYeon, where are you?