Chapter 21

My Brother's Girlfriend

Three sharp taps knocked on my door. It was exactly 7 p.m. on the dot - not a minute early or a minute late. As expected, TaeYeon rarely was late anyhow. My feet shifted quickly towards the door, causing me to almost slip. I grabbed the door knob and whipped it open. Of course, there she was in all her perfection. Her now golden brown silky hair was loosely curled and brushed softly to the front. She had a pale pink beanie on which fit perfectly on her. Under her thick coat was a denim collared shirt and she wore dark jeans to match. "Hey." I barely managed after a few seconds of admiring her.

"Hi." She responded light sheepish smile, "Am I on time?" My eyes followed her as she took one step towards me.

"You always are," I tried to match my smile to hers but I had trouble focusing as she took another step closer, "Can I take your coat?" I extended my hand towards her. TaeYeon glanced at it then back at me.

"Actually, I was thinking we could go on a walk." A walk? Seriously? It's ridiculously freezing outside and you want to go on a walk? "Unless you don't want to, I know how you are with the cold."

"No. no! Let's go, I insist." Great. I grabbed ahold of my pea coat and slipped the closest pair of shoes I could find. "Ladies first," My arm extended out towards the hall. She smirked and walked back out into the dimly lit hallway. We made our way out and began taking short strides away from my apartment.

 

"You look pretty tonight, by the way." I didn't dare look at her when I said that but I felt her brown eyes stare at me for a brief moment before looking back down. Her heels hit the concrete sidewalk quietly as we kept our slow pace.

"Thanks, I guess. You don't look half bad yourself." A grin appeared on my face but disappeared as soon as it showed. "Sorry about hanging up abruptly yesterday, something happened so."

"It's okay, I was just worried, haha." A fog of smoke escaped my lips as I spoke. A shiver ran down my spine and I shuddered slightly. 

"Why?" My eyes traveled down to see her stop suddenly, "Why do you care so much about me?" I stared into her eyes for five long seconds before sighing. I started walking forward again and didn't look back to see if she was following. I heard her high heels click behind me.

"I don't know, I really don't." My voice was low and quiet. Could she hear? Who knows. "Something about you... I can't stop thinking about you. I'm always scared you'll get hurt, and I know that's not my job - it's Kangin's." She was beside me again, latching onto her hat that had almost fallen off. I laughed at how silly she looked and stopped to pull it back into place. Her cold hands stopped mine as I touched her beanie.

"You're right, it's not your job." She said softly as we were inches apart. The heat from her sweet breath swept lightly against my face. My lips pulled into a straight line before standing upright again and moving a few steps ahead of her. "You know how much I like your brother... How could you like someone that's dating someone so close to you?" Her voice trailed against the light breeze that blew past us.

"I suppose I'm just not thinking straight." TaeYeon scoffed behind me, "I wasn't expecting for this to happen, and for it to happen for so long. I should've told KangIn right away. Although that wouldn't have stopped him from dating you. He loves you, and I know you love him too. I never intended for you to find out - and God forbid, KangIn finding out." Oh my God, how was I going to tell KangIn? She exhaled loudly behind me. "And what happened yesterday-" Her hand suddenly latched onto my arm and pulled me back. 
"Yes, about last night. What are you going to tell him?"  Her nose was slightly reddening when she looked up at me.

"I'm just going to tell him straight up," My shoulders shrugged nonchalantly but I was scared out of my mind, "And if he gets mad at me, I'm just going to have to take it. Don't worry, I'll just say I tried to kiss you and you just backed away. I wouldn't dare to ruin your relationship with him." I tried to imagine the situation. It could either go two ways: He'd hit me right when I tell him, or he'd just give me the cold shoulder.

"But..." I saw her squint slightly, "That's not fair. You don't deserve to take all the blame, anyway." Her teeth chattered together and I groaned. Why would you suggest walking when you weren't even dressed for the weather? I bent down on one knee and grabbed her coat zipper. "What are you-" She began but shut when I zipped her jacket up. 

"It's cold," was all I said before leaning away and shoving my hands in my pockets. 

"LeeTeuk..." TaeYeon looked around, "Last night wasn't all you. If KangIn should know the truth, he should know everything." My eyebrow rose, "And we should tell him together. I don't want him to get mad at you, and he probably wouldn't hurt you if I was there too."

"Why..." I bit my lip, do I dare say? "Why are you so keen on letting him know everything?"

"It's just the right thing to do!" We both knew that wasn't it, but I wasn't going to call her out on it. "And, other things included of course."

"Other things? Like what?" Her pale fingers twisted a loose strand of hair as she thought of what to say. A car past by and it was silent again. A beam of light shone down from the light post as we continued our walk.


"I don't know. I just..." TaeYeon's eyes never left the sidewalk as she talked, "I just feel like we shouldn't pretend  yesterday didn't happen. He should know and it's only right to tell him." Something crossed my mind then.

"What happened yesterday?" The question finally slipped into the night. I knew what happened. I tried to kiss her and DongHae caught me in the act. But, the thing is... TaeYeon didn't lean away or push me back. She even said she didn't mind. Why didn't she reject it? 

"What?" I caught her off guard. Clearly, she didn't know what I meant. I didn't respond and I just kept my eyes averted from hers. She suddenly understood and TaeYeon became silent.

 

"TaeYeon." I had to ask, "Why didn't you lean back when I tried to kiss you...?" Never in the year of knowing her did I ever imagine asking her that question. I was fearful of her answer - but also hopeful. Unconsciously, my eyes met hers and I was again floored. A long silence slipped into the crevasses of the night as I waited for her to say something - anything, really. My mind raced and I felt my heart beat a million miles per hour. "TaeYeon?" I said softly this time. "What are you thinking?" 

"I'm thinking..." She finally spoke, "I'm thinking about last night and I wasn't thinking straight. I don't know what happened. Maybe it was just what was happening in the moment, or maybe... Ah, I don't know." A sharp feeling tinged into my heart.

"Maybe what?" I kept trying. I knew I was just digging my own grave, and in the end, I wouldn't like what she'd say, but I just wanted to hear her speak.

 

"LeeTeuk, look." For the fifth time of the night, we stopped. I glanced back to where we came from and still slightly spotted the top of my apartment. Some walk. "You're someone that I hold very dear to my heart. You're one of my best friends and we've only known each other for a year. I trust you with pretty much everything, and when something happens, you're the first person I tell. You've even met my parents!" This was true. Once, when KangIn had hurt TaeYeon, she fled to her parents place. I was sent to fetch her and ended up meeting her mom and dad. They had mistaken me for her boyfriend, in which I had to laugh it off and pretend everything was okay. "You are who I lean to when I'm having a bad day, and you know exactly how to cheer me up." A tear began to form from her tear duct. I hated it when she cried - especially when it was for a stupid reason. Every time she was on the verge of crying, my chest hurt. I didn't like the fact that someone so beautiful could be hurt so easily. I clutched my chest as she continued talking. "After last night, I can't help but feel so guilty, and so stupid for being so oblivious in what you had to deal with when I was with KangIn. And I just don't know what to do, I don't-" The tears began to roll quickly down her cheeks. I sighed and made my way towards her. I stopped right in front of her and held her face in one hand. My thumb wiped her tear away and I removed my hands. She quickly rubbed her sleeve across both her cheeks.

"Don't cry." My voice was barely a whisper. "A pretty face like yours doesn't deserve to cry. It's my fault, really. I should've told you right from the start. You would've rejected me and I would've moved on. But I let it drag on until now. And I've made a mess of things, which I will forever feel burdened of. But please, please, please-" She sniffed softly, "don't blame yourself. It'll make me feel worse. We'll tell KangIn when he gets back. He'll probably make me stop talking to you, but you're one of my closest friends and I know that him not letting us talk won't change anything. It'll probably help me get over you too so you don't have to worry about anything." Suddenly, she rolled her eyes and sat abruptly down onto the edge of the sidewalk. I stood awkwardly for a few seconds before taking the seat next to her. "Uh, TaeYeon?"

"How do you know I would've rejected you?" The words floated through my head before I could fully take it in. "Why were you so quick to judge the situation, and not even give me the chance to say anything?"

"What?" I couldn't comprehend what she was saying. There were butterflies in my stomach. What was she implying?

"LeeTeuk!" She faced me and brushed her hair from her face, "I like you too, okay?" My heart stopped. "You are the perfect guy. You're sweet, caring, you don't force me into things, and you're patient. You're incredibly good looking, and you're so smart. What's not to like? But I never said anything because I had no idea. I continued dating KangIn and I started to fall in love with him. But my feelings for you never left. It was always in the back of my mind. When you offered to take me out when KangIn was busy, I'd try to look my best. KangIn and I would get in fights and I was for sure we'd break up. You'd come to the rescue and I was so grateful for you. Then, KangIn would come back and I couldn't say no. I love him!" She clutched onto her jacket and held tight, "But I can't stop thinking about how kind hearted you are. And last night... Last night, I almost lost my mind when you almost kissed me. I don't want to be unfaithful, I love your brother, and I don't want to hurt him. But it's not fair for him when I think of you more than I think of my boyfr-" Without warning, my hands reached for both sides of her face and I felt my face leaning in, "LeeTeuk, wai-" It was too late.

My lips reached hers in half a second. TaeYeon's cool lips pressed onto mine roughly as our faces collided together. Her eyes were wide open - just as I imagine mine were - and I could tell that she was surprised. Slowly but surely, they blinked once before fully shutting. I felt her hands rest gently onto my shoulders before her lips pushed slightly back with pressure. I closed my eyes and pulled her closer. Her sweet lips moved smoothly against mine and caused my head spin. The tip of TaeYeon's cool nose shocked me as it brushed against mine . The back of her hand slid down the side of my face. Her perfume overwhelmed me and her lips tasted like pink bubble gum. I felt her hand press against my chest as she pulled back. Our faces were still close as I felt her harsh breath against my cheek. Her eyes stared straight into mine without glancing away. My hands were still against her warm face as she batted her eyelashes. She whispered into the air for only me to hear, "Wow." I sighed in relief. "LeeTeuk, I don't know what to say." I leaned away and slowly slid my hand off her cheek and held both her hands towards me.

"You don't have to say anything. I'm sorry, you probably weren't expecting that. I just, really wanted to know how that felt." I laughed in embarrassment before standing both of us up. "It's getting kind of late and I don't want you to walk home when it's too dark out. I'll walk you back to our dorm and we'll call a taxi for you, okay?" TaeYeon nodded slowly as she tried to take in what had just happened. Dropping both our hands, I began to walk back to my place.

"Wait, I... Never mind." She shoved her hands back in her pockets. The side of my mouth rose for a second before intertwining her fingers into mine and putting it in my coat pocket. "Thanks, haha."

"My pleasure." We took a few steps and rounded the corner in silence. I didn't know what to say, and neither did she. What was I going to tell DongHae? And KangIn? 

 

"Look who we have here." I stopped in my tracks. This couldn't be happening. I glanced across the street and noticed a familiar silhouette. The voice... Where was it from? "I can't believe it, wait until he hears about this." All the blood drained from my face as the figure began to walk towards us.

"Who is that, LeeTeuk?" TaeYeon stared deeply into the darkness. The body emerged from the darkness and walked right under the light post. You have got to be kidding me. TaeYeon's eyes widened as she ripped her hand from mine and shoved them to her side.

"Too late, TaeYeon. I saw everything." The evil chuckle sent another shiver down my spine - and this time, it wasn't the coolness of the night that caused it. "And for me to think that you'd be faithful. KangIn wouldn't be too proud to see you cheating on him. Especially with," they paused and glared at me, "With his brother."

"Listen," I hissed and stood in front of TaeYeon, pushing her behind me, "I don't know what you're up to, but leave this between us." My voice cut the tense atmosphere as a light giggle responded to my threat.

"Oh, is it really?" Her dark eyes looked right back into mine, "I didn't know cheating was your thing," did she dare say it? "LeeTeuk oppa." Yoona's sharp words instinctively made me clutch my fist. "Where is dear KangIn now, must I ask?"

"Why are you here?" I ignored her question as TaeYeon whimpered behind me. She had never heard me use this tone before, and I wasn't comfortable in this situation. "Just go home."

"Doesn't matter why I'm here." She chuckled and her hand suddenly reached into her pocket. I moved back, trying my best to protect TaeYeon. A phone appeared in her hand and she turned the screen towards me. I squinted and tried to focus on what the phone was showing. I then realized it was a picture of TaeYeon and I kissing. "Already sent to KangIn." I felt my heart stop again for the second time.

"No way..." I said slowly. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket. It had to be KangIn. Her chuckle loudly interrupted my thoughts. She turned around and began walking the way she had came from. Before fully entering the blackness of the night again, she turned around and faced me and TaeYeon.

 

"You two, are in a lot of trouble."