Chapter 15

My Brother's Girlfriend

"TaeYeon?" My voice echoed through the lean alleyway near her apartment, "Are you there?" Silence welcomed be as I stepped further in the pitch blackness of the night. I shivered at the thought of someone following me, let alone knowing that TaeYeon could be out here alone.

Who was I kidding?

"Tae?" I felt the bricks against my soft fingertips as I tried to find my way through the long street. Why they never put lights in alleys, I would never know. "Hello?" My phone rang abruptly in my back pocket and I hastily grabbed it. "TaeYeon, is that you?"

"Uh, no bro it's DongHae." Sigh, of course it's him. "Where are you?" Might as well be honest, right? 
"TaeYeon wanted to meet up but she was a no-show. I'm scared she got hurt or something." I made my way to the end of the road, next to the apartment's front door. "Should I call the cops?" 

"Dude... I gotta tell you som-" My phone beeped through the ear piece.

"One sec, someone's on the other line." I pulled the phone from my face and saw it was from TaeYeon. "Hello? TaeYeon! are you alright? I was so worried! Are you hurt?"

"Relax, oppa!" Her voice was awfully chirpy for some reason. "I'm perfectly fine, sorry to make you worried." My eyebrow rose and glanced up to her room. Third row and fourth from the left. A light was dimly lit - her lamp, I'm guessing - but it was bright enough for me to see someone was there. 

"Oh, I waited at the ice cream shop forever, where'd you go?" A light ruffle in the curtains caught my eye and she pulled them aside. I couldn't help but grin when I saw her wave down at me with a charming smile.  She had her bangs clipped back, which was rare, and only a pair of sweats with a baseball cut shirt. Nevertheless, even with a dark light, she was gorgeous.
"I'm sorry!! I know I should've called earlier but..." I heard a man clear his throat in the distance.

"But?" Then I realized another figure was in the house - a tall, broad one, might I add. 
"KangIn came over and apologized and my phone was dead so I couldn't tell you that you wouldn't have to show. But thanks for coming, you're a great friend." He then appeared next to her and saw me. Though he was far, I could tell he had a frown drawn on his face, wondering why I was at his girlfriends house this late. 
"Right, friend." A quiet chuckle escaped my lips, "Well, I'll see you another time then, TaeYeon. Good luck." I hung up and saw her back away from the window after waving again, bringing KangIn with her. I sat at the edge of the curb, buried my face in my hands and groaned.

What was I thinking? That I could swoop in and be the hero of the night and she'd fall in love with me? Of course not. She was in love with KangIn. And I had to remember that. 
But the thing is, she deserves better. As selfish as that sounds, KangIn has been treating her like nothing for the past couple days - even weeks. And I had to let her know that I hate sitting back and watching him do this to her.
I had to.