Chapter 9

My Brother's Girlfriend

"Yo bro, I had to leave. Work stuff. Take her home, alright? Tell her I'm sorry and I'll call her when I'm done."

How irresponsible. A scoff slipped from my mouth while I shoved my phone back in my pocket. "KangIn had to go, he said he'd call you when he was finished with work." A small - yet adorable - frown appeared on her face. She was disappointed yet again. "Hey," TaeYeon looked up from the rack of costumes to me, wide eyes boring into mine, "We'll have fun, don't worry about him." A half-hearted chuckle came from her as she went back to the clothing. I rolled my eyes. "I see you've been eyeballing this one for the last half hour, try it on!" My arm pulled a pastel purple costume and she sheepishly looked at it.

"I think it's pretty..."

"But?" An eyebrow rose in confusion as her foot dragged back and forth on the carpet.

"I don't think it'll look good on me." My jaw hit the ground as her eyes stared to her feet.

"You.. Wouldn't look good?" It was impossible to hide my disbelief. "You did not just say that." Unconsciously, my hand gripped onto her porcelain arm and pulled her to the nearest change room. I handed her the coat hanger and lightly pushed her in while closing the door. "Don't come out until you put it on." Ignoring her pleas, I stood, with my back facing the door, and waited for her to be done. 

"Geez, you didn't have to penalize me." I laughed at her complaints but was satisfied when I heard a zipper being opened. "Gosh, okay." A light whisper slid through the cracks in the door, "I'm done. Don't laugh, okay? Promise."

"Promise, now hurry out." I walked a couple meters away from the room, expecting her to pop out with a huge smile as always. It was just something I'd imagine TaeYeon doing. But for the first time in a while, I saw the shy side of her. Slowly and carefully, she creaked open the door. With much thought, she hesitantly walked out of the room. And for the second time of the day, my jaw dropped. It took much effort to close my mouth but when it did, a soft 'wow' escaped from me. "You look..."
"Stupid? Ridiculous? I know, what was I thinking?" She tore the mask from her face and held it in her small hands. "I was always a fan of the masquerade dresses, but I guess it doesn't fit me well, right?" 

"It fits you amazing." Her figure was perfect for the lavender masquerade dress. It fit her snuggly and I slowly walked closer to her. She looked at me anxiously as I stood in front of her.

"What?" I grabbed the mask from her hands and put it back on her face to complete the costume.

"Gorgeous." Sighing, my foot took a step back to glance at her again. "Absolutely flawless. You have to get this, TaeYeon." She put a hand on her hip and laughed.

"You think I look good in this? Really?" From that, I knew that she hadn't been complimented much before. She was very self conscious, I believed.

"You're beautiful. You for sure will be the center of attention in the party." TaeYeon moved towards me. Every step she took made my heart beat a bit faster until she was inches from me. A tint of strawberry scent flooded my nose as she whispered to me in the most harmonious voice.

"Do you think he will like it, though?" My heart dropped as I remembered KangIn. She was dressing up to impress him, in the end. My teeth gritted but I nodded.

"He'll love it."