Chapter Twenty

We Are Just Meant To Be

We Are Just Meant To Be

Chapter Twenty:

Minzy felt a little sick this morning, but she guessed that it was just nerves.

After all, today, all of them were heading out to the opening orientation of the Contest Battle. This meant that they were going to get a run down of the rules, get to meet the other competitors, as well as learn the randomly picked list of each battle. Then there was a tour of the field and how it could change terrene accordingly.

Although the couples were all chosen randomly, there were neko’s that did better in bitingly cold settings than others, and because some of the couples selected both had the advantage, to add more fun, they decided that they could change the field to bring out their best. If Minzy thought about it correctly, she and Daesung were better suited for a spring setting. Young Bae and Seungri were more suited for an icy setting but when it came to Ji Yong and Seung Hyun, she was not sure.

It probably wasn’t going to help them at all that they were a new couple barely learning about each other.

Despite Ji Yong and Seung Hyun having trained together to get to know each other’s patterns of attack, it had been a more control setting where no one else was challenging. She wondered how they were going to handle someone trying to attack them. She knew she didn’t handle it that well when she and Daesung had first joined a contest battle. But now it was more fun, because it got to test the limits and bounds that you had with your mate and it could either make or break a relationship.

Still, she couldn’t help but feel oddly nervous. To tell the truth she really didn’t know what was making her feel so nervous. Sighing, she took a deep breath and willed her nerves to calm down.

“Minzy, are you ready to go?” Daesung asked as he came towards her smiling. She had come outside to get fresh air for her nerves, but suddenly seeing Daesung made them all disappear. Then again, she had not been nervous until he had left the bedroom that morning. She simply nodded.

Behind him Young Bae followed trying to keep Seungri away from him but failing as the younger male kept trying to fix his clothes.

“I’m fine Ri, you don’t have to keep fixing my shirt,”

“Oh fine,” Seungri gave up, and let go of his boyfriend.

“Where are Ji Yong and Seung Hyun?” Daesung asked, sure that they had told them the meeting time.  

“I don’t know,” Young Bae and Seungri both said. They had all agreed to meet outside of Daesung’s house before leaving. Young Bae and Seungri had come earlier to have breakfast at Daesung’s house. Ji Yong and Seung Hyun on the other hand were already ten minutes late.

“Maybe we should go get them, or we’ll never get there on time,” Minzy suggested as she wrapped one of her arms around Daesung’s.

The three males nodded their heads and decided to head over. When they got to Seung Hyun and Ji Yong’s home though, they didn’t find them-except Hyun Yoon whom had just gotten up. For good measure, Seungri and Daesung both checked their bedroom, but found nothing but messy bed sheets on the bed.

“I haven’t a clue of where they could be,” Seung Hyun’s father mumbled as he rummaged through the fridge for food and came out empty. There was nothing to eat.

“Do you think they went grocery shopping?” Young Bae wondered aloud making the others turn to look at him and frown at the possibilities. It seemed like something Seung Hyun and Ji Yong would both pull off.

“We should just head out without them then,” Daesung said, “Because there is no way of telling where they went”

“True,” the others nodded in agreement, and telling Hyun Yoon to let Seung Hyun and Ji Yong know that they had already headed over there. Of course, it had not been necessary, as soon as they left and were running down the street, they spotted them. Both Seung Hyun and Ji Yong were coming out of a restaurant, where they had obviously just had breakfast.

“You know, you two are late coming to meet us!” Minzy angrily said at them, curling her tail.

Dutifully both late neko’s ignored her.

“Are you two ready to go?” Daesung asked.  

“Yup” Ji Yong said.

All in all, the morning had been pretty much busy as they reached the Battle hall. The battle hall is a large, white long building. It seemed narrowed in a way, but it was connected to two other similar halls. Each of them were connected by barb wire fences, and in the middle you would see a sort of garden setting with glass displays. The only way to get in there was to go through the main halls. Inside each hall, you would see different double doors, leading into large ball rooms.

They were supposed to meet in Ball Room B 202. It was a golden colored room, with carpeted floors, and a bunch of decorative balloons all around to make it look all festive. Inside was a long line where you had to go and see if your name was in the list. For Daesung, Minzy, Young Bae, and Seungri, it was simple to find their table since there was special ones for couples. Then again there was a different list for mated couples. Of course, the order that it was going to go on confused both Seung Hyun and Ji Yong.

“You signed us up right Hyunie?” Ji Yong asked.

“I did Yongie,”

“Where do you think we get our sing in packet?” he asked then, tilting his head.

“I’m not sure” Seung Hyun admitted. “We’re Choi-Kwon now aren’t we?” he asked.

“You mean Kwon-Choi” Ji Yong said.

“What’s the difference?”

“Well, it would help to know what letter our last name starts with now,”

“Well we can try both,”

Both sighed, and trudged over to the K table, since it seemed to have the shortest line. They ended up getting re-directed to the C line, and then finally they had what they needed. Ji Yong and Seung Hyun both curiously turned the packets they had received around, and headed to where the others were to sit with them.

“What are these?” Ji Yong asked.

Seung Hyun hadn’t a clue. Although he had joined before, he had never joined a battle as a mated male, who was fighting alongside his mate. It seemed that the rules were a little different for mated nekos.

“Well, it’s a copy of the rules, matching bracelets to link you with your partner, and a small book briefing you in how to battle a fight alongside your mate, and that’s mostly it.” Daesung said. “The book is kind of for precaution, they give it just in case new couples decide to join,”

“Ah,” Seung Hyun said as he looked at the book and flipped through it, and found more information that he didn’t know about.  Ji Yong also flipped through his book, reading all the tittles until something caught his eye and he would read the small entry on it.

“Seung Hyun, look at this,” Ji Yong said as he pointed at a particular article within the book.

Seung Hyun turned his head to Ji Yong’s page, and started to read. “Does it sound similar?” Seung Hyun asked when he was done, and glanced up at Ji Yong whom seemed to still be reading over it, more carefully.

“I think it kind of does, but it doesn’t explain it still,” Ji Yong gave a small shrug, and looked at his mate.

“Don’t worry we’ll figure it out,”

Everyone else at the table was looking at them with confusion since their small little conversation made no sense to them.

“Hey!”

They all turned to see Dong Wook and Han Byul coming to their table. Both of them sat down and smiled pleasantly at them. “Hello everyone,” Han Byul respectfully greeted and the others returned the same greeting. They rarely saw her, seeing as she worked in the acting business part of entertainment. But when they did see her, she was always with Dong Wook, and both of them always seemed really happy together.

Ji Yong could remember Dong Wook mentioning that they were going to be mated, if both of them were compatible in battling through this together. Already you could tell that both of them had a high bond and were ready to bond. It was strong enough that anyone could see how they were so in tune with each other, and every one of their moves. Ji Yong had to wonder how they could even hold off in getting mated.

It reminded Ji Yong on how his brother Daesung and Minzy were also the same before they had gotten mated. Not that Ji Yong had thought about it much before, but now that there were other couples around him and his mate, he was starting to pick up on it. It felt like other couples were the competition. As if other couples were the enemies and he had to protect himself and his mate from their presence.

When Seung Hyun’s tail suddenly wrapped around his, it brought his attention back to his mate and his eyes widen slightly at how easily distracted he had become. This was bad. If he was seeing other couples like competition and forgetting about having to be in tune with his mate, it was going to make things difficult on them.

Both he and Seung Hyun had anticipated this and he could see that Seung Hyun also felt the ‘noise’ distraction. After all, curiosity was probably something that ran high in their relationship, and for once Ji Yong was glad that he and Seung Hyun had agreed to be completely honest with each other on their feelings and thoughts from the very start. Since the catalyst to this had been set up from the beginning, it felt like their filter on their emotions towards each other was completely gone.

At times, it could be frightening, seeing as they were barely starting out, it was scary to think that their feelings were just passing-or if one of them was losing interest. The truth was that their feelings and interest towards each other remained strong, and seemed to be getting stronger. But the fear that they could one day disappear is what kept it frightening.   

At other times it could be arousing.

Maybe even a little frustrating.

But most of the time it was simply comforting.

“I think that’s the famous couple.” Seungri suddenly said, making everyone at their table glance up and turn towards the entrance. Dong Wook and Han Byul on the other hand were slightly confused.

“What power couple?” he asked.

“Them,” Daesung said discretely pointing to the long haired blond neko male that dangerously looked like a girl, with white ears and tail, and a silver haired male with gray ears and tail.

Dong Wook raised an eyebrow, “you mean Minky? He’s my brother, and that’s his mate, Dong Ho” he smiled.

Ji Yong and Seung Hyun looked from Minki to Dong Wook twice before looking at each other. “Do you see a resemblance?” they both asked each other before shaking their heads no and looking at Dong Wook again. Of course, their little exchange was ignored seeing as everyone else had jaw dropped and was now looking at Dong Wook with wide eyes.

“Seriously?” Minzy asked.

“Yeah, seriously,” Dong Wook said. And then he did something that made the others, except maybe the Choi-Kwon couple and his girlfriend. “Minki!” he called.

Minki whom had been smiling up at Dong Ho looked over to see who had called his name and grinned when he saw his brother. Immediately he wrapped his tail around Dong Ho’s own and grabbed his arm as he pulled him over to the table. “Hey Wookie!” he said as he hugged his brother and then sat down, tugging Dong Ho down to sit as well. “Han Byul,” he added as an afterthought.

“Hello,” Han Byul politely said, but was more than ready to be ignored. Out of all of Dong Wook’s siblings, Minki was the one that was possessive of all his brothers and sisters. So whenever they started a relationship he always kept hostility towards the new people in his sibling’s lives. Although she and Dong Wook had been together for over a year, Minki had yet to accept her and it was the reason she would rather avoid him.

“Hey, I’m Dong Ho, and this is my mate, Minki,” Dong Ho politely introduced himself and his mate as it was customary for couples to do. “So who’s everyone?” Dong Ho asked as he looked at the unfamiliar people at the table.

“Oh, hi, I’m Daesung, and this is my mate,” he wrapped around Minzy, “Minzy,”

“Ah, you’re that cute couple from last year’s competition, the two of you was so strong!” Minki praised, “It’s too bad we didn’t get to face you,”

“Ah, thank you,” Daesung said.

“But really you were really strong I’m amazed that you won it all.” Minzy praised herself.

“Thanks, we didn’t think we could do it, but we plan to do it again,” Minki grinned. Then his eyes shifted to Seungri whom looked at him and then buried his face into Young Bae’s arm. “Omo is something wrong with him?” he asked.

“Nope,” Young Bae said, smiling “This is Seungri my boyfriend, he’s just being a little silly right now, and I’m Young Bae”

“Are you guys new to the competition?” Dong Ho asked.

“Yeah, this will be our first one before we get mated,”

“Oh,” Minki said and turned to look at his brother and Han Byul. Well, if they managed to prove something in this competition he guessed he could accept Han Byul as his brother’s mate. Then he turned back to the new budding couple and smiled.

“Good luck,” Dong Ho smiled at them.

“Thanks,” Young Bae said, but Seungri remained with his face buried in Young Bae’s arms. Even so, he could feel his submissive gritting his teeth in distaste of what they had said to them.

The power couple then turned their attention to the last couple at the table, whom were furiously whispering at each other and seemed to be arguing-or discussing something. The blond then stood up and snatched the book away from the white haired male and stomped at it. The white haired male only grabbed the other book on the table and started to flip through it. The blond neko bared his claws and was going to go in and snatch that book away as well when Daesung stood up and slammed a hand on the table. “Ji Yong!” he called.

”But Daesung that book is so derogatory towards me!”

Daesung sighed, “Do you even know what that word means?”

“Like I told you Ji, we could burn it,” Seung Hyun said, looking up at his disgruntled mate.

“Tonight in the fireplace?” Ji Yong asked, with hope shinning in his eyes.

Seung Hyun smiled at his mate, “yes, tonight in the fire place.” Even though the answer pleased Ji Yong, he still snatched the book away and threw it on the floor before sitting back down, and close to his mate.

Both Ji Yong and Seung Hyun then noted that they were the center of everyone’s attention and wondered what was going on between all of them. The conversation had gotten boring sometime when Dong Wook had called the new couple to their table. That had been after the couple had sat down and Han Byul had said a hello. But their stares were unnerving them now, “What?” they both asked at the same time.

Minki was the first one to snap out of his surprise, and then smiled, “You two are a real interesting couple.”

The Choi-Kwon couple only each, raised an eyebrow in response.

“Can you two be polite and introduce yourselves?” Minzy urged when she saw that neither of them made a move to greet the new couple. They both flinched and then nodded.

“I’m Seung Hyun,” Seung Hyun said first and then glanced at Ji Yong.

“I’m Ji Yong,” the blond waved at them.

Once again, everyone stared at them oddly.

“Okay, you guys have got to stop staring at us as if we’re crazy or something,” Ji Yong huffed, crossing his arms.

“Okay…umm, who is?” Dong Ho narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips not sure how to word it. Minki wanted to help him but even he himself was not sure how to ask.

“We’re all actually not sure,” Daesung said. “Sometimes I wonder if they make it a game to keep everyone guessing,”

“We see,” The power couple both said.

“Don’t tell me you guys are still trying to figure out who’s the dominant of the relationship,” Ji Yong huffed.

“It’d be nice to know how the both of you functioned, so yeah,” Minzy said.

“Just right,” Seung Hyun answered her causing Ji Yong to chuckle to himself.

“That’s not funny,” Young Bae said. Seungri beside him second that.

“Yah Hyungs, your jokes are not funny” he snapped.

“Well, it’s no lie that we function just right,” Seung Hyun insisted, and Ji Yong nodded in agreement. Before anyone else could say anything though, a new couple decided to take the last two seats. “Hey Ji Ho” Seung Hyun greeted.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hello, I’m Ji Hoon, Ji Ho’s mate” The other male introduced himself. He had fairly long hair tied in a small pony tail at the back. His hair was slightly blond, but somewhat brown as well, and his ears were black as well as his tail.

“It’s good to meet you,” Seung Hyun said. “I’m Seung Hyun”

“And I’m his mate, Ji Yong,” Ji Yong grinned.

Everyone else sweat dropped once again at their odd greeting before everyone introduced themselves to the new couple. By the end of introductions, their attention was all called to the front, where an elderly male stood. He had white as snow hair, and a bold spot at the top where his orange ears tiredly stood. His tail would move back and forth, but when he spoke, his voice was strong. “Welcome, everyone, to the Contest Battle of twenty thirteen! And I hope all of you have been able to get to at least talk to each other, for now we are going to be going over the rules with you all and then showing you whom your opponent for the first battle will be. After that, we are going to show you what field you are going to be fighting at.”

 As the rules were slowly gone over, and questions were answered, both Ji Yong and Seung Hyun had to poke each other so they would stay awake through the boring ordeal. “This is your entire fault for keeping us up last night,” Seung Hyun accused.

“Me?” Ji Yong hissed right back, “It was your brilliant idea that we could have some fun in the shower,”

“But you agreed to it Ji, and you were so willing”

“Yeah, because you were so hot, how could I resist, this is your entire fault.”

Both of them stopped their whispering to each other when the person at the front called that there would absolutely be no obscenities going on anywhere near this premises. “What does he mean by that Hyunie?” Ji Yong softly asked.

“I think it means that people shouldn’t come and expose themselves here,”

“Ah,” Ji Yong nodded, and then frowned. “Why would anyone do that?”

“You’d be surprise,”

“What about that old man though?”

“What about him?”

“I think he’s a little obscene looking,” Ji Yong giggled a little, trying his hardest to sound serious about this.

Seung Hyun pursed his lips trying to keep himself from laughing as he managed to get out, “Ji are you discriminating against the old?”

“No” Ji Yong shook his head, and pressed a hand to his mouth “I’m just saying that his beard looks weird, when he has a bold head, is all.”

“What…what do you mean? What are you thinking Ji?” Seung Hyun bit his lip and Ji Yong looked away from him.

“It looks like a bad shave,” and both of them had to try their hardest not to burst out laughing.

“Will you two stop whispering weird things to each other?” Young Bae begged, seeing as he was seated by them and could hear them. Even Seungri could, and he was trying so hard not to laugh at the ridiculous comments they had made.

“But it’s so boring Bae, what else are we supposed to do? If we listen we will fall asleep.” Ji Yong insisted and Seung Hyun just nodded in agreement. Young Bae shook his head and decided to let the couple be.

“Now, does anyone have any questions about what was just said?” the old man asked. A few neko’s raised their hands and had their questions answered. “Now, we will be showing you your opponents.” The man called. There were several large screens and each one of them had random couples appearing.

Young Bae and Seungri ended up getting pit against Yuri, and Jun Hee

Daesung and Minzy ended up getting pit against Yeon Ju and So Hee

Dong Wook and Han Byul ended up getting pit against Young Hyun and Ji Hee

Minki and Dong Ho ended up getting pit against Dong Hyun and Rae Hwan

Ji Ho and Ji Hoon ended up getting pit against Soo Wook and Sung Hak

Ji Yong and Seung Hyun ended up getting pit against –Siwon, and Hee Chul

“Aww, look at that,” Minki said with a slight smirk on his face, “Looks like Seung Hyun and Ji Yong both got paired up with our eldest brother, ne Dong Wook,” he turned a sweet smile to his brother, and Dong Wook nodded his head as he grimaced. Minki sighed, and shook his head.

“What’s wrong with that?” Daesung curiously asked, seeing as Ji Yong and Seung Hyun were once again looking at the rules that they had missed while they had been fooling around.

“Nothing it’s just that…out of all of our siblings,” Dong Wook shrugged, “Si Won is the only one we have never gotten along with. It’s like he hates us, with a passion.”

“Especially mom,” Minki decided to add.

That was when a person in uniform approached their table and asked them all to follow him. The person was a representative and referee, and everyone was being gather into group units to get a tour of the fields. There were five fields, and each one of them was used in determining whom you were, as well as you were rotated into to see what you could overcome. Although there were five fields, apparently only two were going to be used this year. As they wanted everyone to witness the battles of each diverse couple- and there was a large diversity this year.

Both Seung Hyun and Ji Yong found themselves feeling slightly wary of the competition. Where they ready for this?


Aish, so it seems things are going to get a little tricky from here on out...>< But I really don't want to be coming up with names for couples I won't really use, so yah... ><