Chapte 23 - Cake and Happiness

Caught In Between

 

 K POV

            Henry and I woke up early the next morning to pay a visit to the beloved ahjumma who had once hinted that Yoona and I were together. Yoona had really liked her cake last time and I decided that I would buy her one and this time not to have her throw it in my face.

            We pushed open the door and I saw that the bakery had changed in the last two months. Rather than an open space, it now had racks where people could browse for more cakes and I smiled. Our drama probably had made it pretty popular because the place had people sitting already.

            I thought hard, trying to remember what Yoona liked, I recalled her saying something about vanilla being too boring andchocolate too classic. I decided to go for a triple fudge cake and the raspberry filling she had liked so much last time.

            “Ahjumma, do you still have the StarCraft cake from last time?”

            She peered at me and brightened. “Why if it isn’t that charming boy from that movie! How are you dear? Where’s your girlfriend? She-”

            I interrupted her, not really wishing to talk about her so loudly. “Eh, I’m getting a cake for her.”

            Her eyes twinkled with a secret amusement and she chuckled. “Okay. Is there any special occasion or is this the way young people show their love these days?”

            I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly and Henry had to answer for me. “He wants to tell her he loves her on the cake.”

            She beamed at me with pride. “Very good. I knew you were raised properly. Now, why don’t you go for our more romantic cakes boy? StarCraft is too, well, boyish for a lady.” She walked out and pointed at a rack of heart shaped and star shaped cakes. “Here, you have the romantic cakes. I can put in secret messages inside if you like or you can have the candy hearts with engraved messages on them.”

            Henry pointed at a teddy bear shaped one. “Buy it. Yoona likes bears. That’s what Seohyun told me.” He turned red at t came the mention of his girlfriend and I grinned wickedly.

            “So you two have been texting back and forth all night hm?”

            “Ya, it’s to save your sorry ,” he whispered back.

            “What should I engrave on this?”

            Henry shrugged. “I don’t know. I love you? Or I did wrong? Or maybe, don’t make me too jealous in the future that I won’t get stupidly drunk.”

            I glared at him. “Can’t I just write “Be Mine?””

            Henry scoffed. “That’s so cheesy she would never believe the mighty Cho Kyuhyun would come down to this. Nope, no can do. You must do it my way. You have to be like super original. Do it. Or tell her that Kyuna is true? Oh I like that one.”

            “Kyuna? I guess. But what if she doesn’t like me? I’m assuming too much! I can’t, Henry. Otteoke?

Y POV

            Seohyun and I were browsing through the aisles of cakes and I tried to pick the best possible design for Kyuhyun. A vague image of the cake we had originally came to me and I remembered the StarCraft style he wanted before.

            “Ahjumma, can I have the StarCraft cake?”

            Her eyes twinkled. “It’s for that handsome boyfriend of yours right? Of course. Those boys and their handheld games, you cannot keep them away.”

            After I placed an order for it, I continued to browse, trying to look for something additional. From the other side of the aisle, I heard rising voices.

            “That’s so cheesy she would never believe the mighty Cho Kyuhyun would come down to this. Nope, no can do. You must do it my way. You have to be like super original. Do it. Or tell her that Kyuna is true? Oh I like that one.” Seohyun and I looked at one another. It sounded like Henry, and Kyuna? What was this?
            Seohyun placed a finger to her lips and we stood very still.

            From across from me, I heard Kyuhyun’s voice. “Kyuna? I guess. But what if she doesn’t like me? I’m assuming too much! I can’t, Henry. Otteoke?

            Seohyun giggled and hugged me, burying her face in my shoulder to keep from squealing. I laughed to myself. The world suddenly became brighter and it was easier to breathe now. We heard them continue to tousle and finally decided to go pay.

            But when we got to the cash register, we saw that those had made up their minds as well and Kyuhyun was holding a teddy bear cake. I stared at him, holding his cake in my hands and he stared at me.

            “Er, hi, Seohyun. Yoona. Fancy meeting you two here.”

            Seohyun snorted. “Special occasion? I didn’t know it was any of your hyungs’ birthday.”

            I saw Henry nudge Kyuhyun and he stammered, “Er, Yoona. I really like you and I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry for being a jerk and for not asking you to the dance earlier. I promise I was but Joon beat me to it! And it’s okay if you don’t like me, I just want you to take this cake and not throw it in my face and yeah.” He was blabbering and we giggled.

            Seohyun took the cake from me and pushed me forward. My cheeks went red and I hugged him. “Kyuhyun-oppa, I’m sorry I was so mean. I thought you liked Seohyun and so I wanted to stay away.”

            He awkwardly patted me back and from behind us the ahjumma clapped. “Oohh, I love happy romances.”

K POV

            The four of us went on a double date afterwards. Henry and Seohyun were the sweet couple, feeding each other pieces of meat and dabbing each other’s mouths. Yoona and I were the type to steal each other’s food and snarl whenever our chopsticks came into contact over fighting over a piece of meat.

            But the atmosphere was fun and things felt right. At the end, I slipped my hand into Yoona’s and squeezed it, happy at last that all the drama was over and everyone was happy.

            She winked at me and pointed at my chin. “You have barbeque sauce, oppa.” I wiped at it furiously only to find nothing and scowled at her.

            She grinned. “Fooled ya~”

 

OMG. It's finally over @___@