Chapter 17- Dukbokki

Caught In Between

 

H POV

            SMTown was coming up and I was excited. Ever since I joined, it was rare for me to actually have the opportunity to go. It still hurt that so many ELFs, so many people whom I saw as my fans, still disliked me and Zhou Mi. I promised myself that I would work harder and present a better side of me so that everyone would have no cause for complaint. I knew that I had to make sure the fans were able to accept me.

            It didn’t help that Seohyun would be there as well. I was excited to be back in Korea, working together in the same building. I was preparing for my solo for Super Show as well as try to get ready for Super Junior’s performance in the SMTown concert.

            Off My Mind started to blast and I closed my eyes, feeling the rhythm and beat enter my veins. I started to belt along with the very lines I had penned, feeling the amazingness of being a performer, of having my dreams come true.

            I smiled and continued to recall the choreography that has been haunting me since I began. I wanted to show my ELFs that I would put in my all. I put my hands in the air and started doing pelvic s to the beat.

            A giggle floated in the room and I dismissed it. I must be imagining things. I dipped onto the floor and started twirling, showing off all my break dancing moves. This dance was going to be powerful. I bit my lips and continued to dance. When the song ended, I looked up at the mirror and nearly had a heart attack.

            Seohyun was standing in the room, and she was watching me. Her lips curved into a smile and she gave me a thumbs up. “Wow, oppa, that was amazing! I never really got to experience your dancing up close.” She smiled brightly before blushing.

            I suddenly felt self-conscious. I was sweaty and I knew I smelled. My armpits were damp even though I was wearing a wife beater. I cringed when she came near me. A faint aroma of flowers came my way and I inhaled. How could someone still smell so good after spending the entire day in a practice room?

            I backed away slightly and she giggled. “I’m used to boy sweat. Don’t worry. Super Junior oppas would come hug us whenever they’re done with performances. It’s okay. But you really need water. Here,” she shoved an ice cold bottle in my hands. I took it gratefully and chugged it down, letting out a burp.

            “Oops,” I turned red. Why did I always mess up around her? “Er, I guess I drank too fast.” Slick, Henry, real slick. I wanted to hit myself over the head.

            Seohyun giggled. “That’s so cute. You work yourself so hard. Is this for your solo?”

            I nodded. “we’re going to be performing in SMTown. Then next up is Super Show. That was for my Super Show solo. Did you like it? A friend of mine in college helped me to write the song.”

            She nodded. “Your Chinese is really good. I’m really impressed with it. I loved the vocals when the album first came out. I thought you did really well.”

            I couldn’t help but feel a glowing pride. “Are you done rehearsing?”

            She shrugged. “Eh, I’m here every day. So I always get to practice. But yes, I’m pretty much done. Are you still going?”

            I hesitated. Then I decided to take this leap. I only had this one chance. If I screwed it up, I would be an idiot. I swallowed hard. “Er, Seohyun, do you want to go out with me? I mean, we can just walk around the river, or go to the markets, whatever you want to do.” My words came out in a rush and I winced.

            She laughed. “Okay. Let me show you our commoner food. We definitely have to go to my favorite ahjusshi and have his famous dokbukki. Trust me, you haven’t really experienced Korean food until you have tasted this.”

            I went to slip on a hoodie. “Lead the way, my lady.” I was thrilled. I have never gotten so lucky.

S POV

            He was just so easy to talk to. We walked out of the SM building and headed out towards the markets. People walking on the streets recognized us and nudged one another. I blushed, scared that we would create too much gossip.

            “So, are you going to be doing a solo?”

            I nodded. “Neh, I have a duet with Kyuhyun-oppa.”

            “Oh.” Was it my imagination or did his face just fall a bit?

            “Well, he’s talented and I love working with him. But if you would be discreet, I think he likes my Yoona-unni and it’s so amusing watching the two of them tango around their feelings. I sort of want to push the two together.” Oh gosh, was I flirting? I was basically telling him that I was fair game.

            Henry had an evil look. “Well why not? I mean he would deserve it, he’s always going around and pairing my other hyungs. I would be really amused.”

            I smiled. “We can plan this over food.”

            When we were crossing the streets, I smelled the delicious spice and grew excited. Without meaning to, I grabbed his hand and pulled him across the road. I pulled him next to the stand and smiled at the ahjusshi.

            “Ahjusshi! Can I have two orders of your dukbokki? Don’t make it too hot though. We have a foreigner here.” I nudged Henry playfully. He took out his wallet and handed over the money. He bowed awkwardly and the ahjusshi laughed.

            His wife was by his side and winked at me. “You’re boyfriend is quite cute.”

            We shuffled awkwardly and I dropped his hand. “Er…”

            He regrabbed my hand and smiled. “Kamsahamnida!”

            When we received our food and sat in one of the wooden chairs, I looked at him. “Ya, why did you have to say that?”

            He shrugged. “Humor them! They were so cute. So let’s plan. But this smells so good.” He took out his chopsticks and jabbed at the rice cake. His eyes closed as he slurped the deliciousness. “Yum, this is so good!”

            I giggled and leaned over to wipe away the hot sauce that splattered over his mouth. “I told you! You’re such a messy eater, Henry!”

            He stuck out his tongue. “Okay, so we should get them together during SMTown.” 

 

AP US in two days. :D

SMTown in LA looked like so much fun~