Chapter 20 - Dance The Hurt Away

Caught In Between

 

S POV

            As with everyone else, right before the party, our stylists were crowded around us, trying to fit us in the best possible fashion to have us go to the party to impress. But Taeyeon-unni walked in and dismissed them all.

            “Thank you coordi unnis, but we have this. Don’t worry about us. We already have all the makeup and the dresses planned.” Yoona and I looked at one another and shrugged. We trusted our sisters’ tastes.

            Hyoyeon held out a red dress and handed it to Yoona and I was given a black dress. “Go change. And we’ll be there to do your makeup soon.” We walked into our separate rooms and I slipped on my dress.

            I still couldn’t wrap around my head that I was actually going with Kyuhyun. It had been my dream ever since I started filming the drama and now that it was actually happening, I wasn’t too sure if this was what I really wanted. I adjusted the tiny ruffles and struck a pose. The dress was ridiculously short and the silver stilettos they had to go with it were high. Even with my height, I knew I wouldn’t be as tall as oppa.

            I smiled at the mirror and Sunny-unni came in, brandishing a mascara wand. “Time for Seo-baby’s makeup!” she sang.

            I watched as they expertly brushed the foundation and added on eye glitter. Everything was subtle and they spritzed perfume. When they were done, they whispered to me, “Go knock that maknae dead, baby.” I shivered. Any other time I would love to hear this come from them but now I could only see Yoona rocking in front of the television, trying not to cry.

            I walked out of the room in time to see her walk out as well and my mouth dropped open. My unni was drop dead gorgeous. Her honey blond hair was slightly crimped and even though she had a hint of a frown, she was beautiful. The dress fitted her perfectly. When she saw me, she managed to crack a smile and held me by the elbow.

            “Wow, our maknae looks amazing. I’m sure Kyuhyun,” her voice cracked slightly at his name. “Is lucky to be taking such a gorgeous girl to the party.” I gripped her hand, trying to convey my apologies to her silently.

            We got into the car, both of us meeting our dates at the venue. When we got there, Joon was there, decked in a suit. He bowed at me before taking Yoona’s hand and kissing it, leading her inside.  A second car pulled up and Kyuhyun came out, looking harried. His hair was spiked up and his tie was slightly askew.

            “Mian,” he bowed. “My hyungs were being stupid.” I giggled and took his hand.

            “It’s okay.” We walked in together and immediately Kyuhyun stopped walking. I didn’t even have to look to know why.

            Even though this was a formal party, there was still dancing and as the song was blaring from the stereo, I knew that as one of our main dancers, Yoona would not be able to resist. Sure enough, she was on the dance floor, moving her body really close to Joon’s. I tried to maneuver  Kyuhyun away so he wouldn’t have to see it.

            Of course it was too late. He clenched his jaw before turning to me and smiling, looking painfully forced. “Seohyunie, want to dance?”

            I placed my bag down and he sauntered up to me, snapping his fingers to the beat. He turned me around and held me by the waist, dancing so close together; I swear if I still liked him, I would have died. His fingers gripped my hips possessively and he whispered, “Put your hands in the air, Seohyunnie. Dance with oppa.”

            And so I closed my eyes and let the music take me away.

K POV

            I could not unsee Yoona from my mind. I wanted to erase all traces of her dancing with Joon and all traces of her in that dress. Stupid Im Yoona. I never expected to feel so strongly about her and this was ridiculous. I watched her grind herself on top of Joon and felt a bitter twist overtake my heart.

            I normally don’t get jealous easily. But when I do, I feel it to the depths of my soul and currently, I was not happy. I knew it was wrong to use Seohyun like this but I was no longer thinking rationally. All I wanted to do now was to make her jealous. Make her seethe inside.

            I grabbed onto Seohyun and wondered why I just didn’t like her instead. She was just as pretty, just as talented and so sweet to me. I could tell she was bewildered by the way I asked her to dance but she went along with it. She was a good dancer, not too ty and very onpar with the music. But Yoona was Yoona. She was feisty and incomparable. Her very gaze can send shivers down my spine.

            When the music ended for the social gathering to begin, I left Seohyun for a while and found the bar. This should be interesting. I took a shot and gazed out at the crowd. As if I had a radar, my eyes were drawn to Yoona immediately. She was standing off to the corner and Joon was massaging her shoulders. I gritted my teeth.

            He whispered something in her ear and she giggled, batting her eyelashes. I felt bile rise in my throat and chugged back my shot in one gulp. I placed the cup down and the bartender automatically refueled it. I tossed this one back once more, continue to watch the couple.

            By now he was just holding her hand and laughing as he was telling her some story. She seemed to enjoy it and nobody bothered to interrupt them. One of the stars of the film was hidden away in some corner and nobody was bothering to find her.

            I watched and downed more shots until I felt myself get a little blurry. I had lost count after the eighth shot. Joon was now leaning towards her and I knew in my gut that they were going to kiss. I knew and I didn’t know what to do about it.

            I tried to get up from my post and make my way over to interfere but I must have had more alcohol than I thought I had because I swayed and the entire room turned blurry.

            “Oppa!” it was Seohyun, I think. I turned to look blearily at her and she shook me. “You can’t drink so much! Aish, I’ll take you home.”

            “No, I’m fine. I just, wanted, dizzy, purple lights,” random words were jumbling out of my mouth.

            Seohyun sighed and pulled me away, letting me lean against her for support. She took me out the backway and I was grateful. Even in this state, I knew I had an image to maintain and didn’t need paparazzi finding out.

            She called my driver and we got into the limo. In the safety of the car, she took out a bag and handed it to me. “Just in case. Now do you mind explaining to me just why you disappeared and was downing shots without abandon?” She raised her eyebrows and I groaned. She sounded like my mother.

            I tried to make up a coherent lie. “Saw alcohol, liked, bored.”

            She snorted. “Oppa, why don’t you just tell the truth?”

            And it was that slight shock that maybe I wasn’t so hard to read that scared me. “It’s Yoona.” I started crying. “I realized I’ve been having feelings for her for a while now and it hurts to see her with someone else. She didn’t even say hi to me the entire party. She didn’t look at me, didn’t greet me. It hurts, Seohyunnie. It hurts. I wanted to ask her to the party but that stupid Joon got to her first. I thought we were friends.” I was crying now. It was disgusting but I knew there was no use hiding anything from Seohyun.

            She patted my shoulder. “Okay. Go home and think of some way to get her then. Go home and sober up. Get some rest okay?” she led me out the door and rang the bell for the dorm.

            Leeteuk came out and ushered me in. “How did he get like this?” 

            Seohyun smiled, a bit sadly. “That’s his story to tell.”
Y POV

            I hated the way he danced with Seohyun. I saw the intimate looks he gave her and the obvious chemistry that went on between them. I sighed. I already had conceded to dedfeat. There’s a reason why the fans shipped Seokyu. It’s because it was true.

            I spent the entire party with Joon but didn’t have much fun. Yes he was witty and funny, but he was no Cho Kyuhyun. When he hugged me good night, I was grateful but I couldn’t help but wonder why the two maknaes had disappeared so early.

            They probably had other plans with each other alone, I figured. I got back to the dorm and slipped off my heels only to find Seohyun sitting on my bed, talking with Yuri.

            “Unni! You’re back. I have something to tell you.” 

 

Three more chapters guys. I really want to thank you all for your amazing support throughout this story. I really am grateful. I hope to hear from you all ♥